• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From Dust |OT| Eric Chahi is the new Molyneux

dragonelite said:
Nice its kinda like lemming from that quick look getting your tribes people from point a to point b.

Sorta, but it gets much more focused on the environment manipulation as you progress. While there still is focus on the tribes, and their overall goals. There is more often then not just as much focus on how you manipulate the surroundings to their advantage as there is giving them direct orders and making them do stuff. (and the game gets exceedingly more challenging as you progress if that is anyones concern after watching the giantbomb video).

Salsa

I dont know about scale, im not expecting something BIGGER than Populous, but rather something smaller, and different.

They already confirmed that you take control of the same 4 elements in every mission, that the archipelagos are rather small, etc. It sounds and looks like a nice experiment and something with a nice replayability, but not something to spend HOURS on. I think its a nice experiment from Chahi and it looks like its gonna live through DLC.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I think that concept art just sold me on the game. I guess I will snatch this up when it hits Steam.

Snuggler said:
I think that concept art just sold me on the game. I guess I will snatch this up when it hits Steam.
That doesn't make any sense at all. All I could think of reading through the OP is "where are the gameplay screenshots?"

Salsa

wtf just realized you are snuggler, stop it with the avatars dammit

CoffeeJanitor said:
That doesn't make any sense at all. All I could think of reading through the OP is "where are the gameplay screenshots?"

To be fair the Concept Art is some of the best ive seen. Specially the characters.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
CoffeeJanitor said:

Sorry if that was confusing, but the fantastic art increased my interest in the game.

He linked to a few dev diaries, which will probably give you a better idea of the game than a few screen grabs.

SalsaShark said:
wtf just realized you are snuggler, stop it with the avatars dammit

I got bored of my old one and Iorveth is awesome.

Vinterbird said:
Sorta, but it gets much more focused on the environment manipulation as you progress. While there still is focus on the tribes, and their overall goals. There is more often then not just as much focus on how you manipulate the surroundings to their advantage as there is giving them direct orders and making them do stuff. (and the game gets exceedingly more challenging as you progress if that is anyones concern after watching the giantbomb video).

Hope so because the giantbomb video look like it was a piece of cake love the time pressure hope it becomes a trial and error game a race against the disasters in the ending levels.
I like a good challenge. And if im not mistaken i saw challenge mode in that giant bomb quick look.

Did ubi said anything about that.

Mrbob

The lack of a real endless mode is a big blow for me, as I really expected something like it in the game. Oh well still kind of want, and will keep on eye out next week. We haven't had a game like this in a long time, and maybe it can be added in the future.

Vinci

Danish
SalsaShark said:
Its really going under the radar though, and its a lost genre of sorts. Genuinely worried.

I'm worried too. Here's hoping more than just a few GAF members buy the thing, 'cause it'd be nice to foster game development in this genre once again.

Mrbob said:
The lack of a real endless mode is a big blow for me, as I really expected something like it in the game. Oh well still kind of want, and will keep on eye out next week. We haven't had a game like this in a long time, and maybe it can be added in the future.

He's said that depending on how it does, he could see a mode like that getting added.

I also read that you can go back into any completed scenario and just mess around with the fluid dynamics and such without the pressure of the scenario beating down on you. I forget where that was, but I am sure I did.

MNC

SalsaShark said:
I dont know about scale, im not expecting something BIGGER than Populous, but rather something smaller, and different.

They already confirmed that you take control of the same 4 elements in every mission, that the archipelagos are rather small, etc. It sounds and looks like a nice experiment and something with a nice replayability, but not something to spend HOURS on. I think its a nice experiment from Chahi and it looks like its gonna live through DLC.
Sandbox mode with the ability to terraform will easily allow for hours of fun.

Big One

Banned
This game is more similar to Populous: The Beginning which Peter had nothing to do with.

Which is good cause I loved the game, very underrated.

I'm only gonna pick up one more Summer of Arcade game (picked up Bastion yesterday) and I'm torn between this and Toy soldiers. I think I'll lose patience and pick this baby up even though I've never played a god game before.

KongRudi

Banned
Looked pretty cool, definately gonna buy it on Steam.

Is it EA who owns Populous-brand? I want a new one on the Vita. :)
Touch-screen and back-touch, makes it perfect for the platform.

Salsa

Sho_Nuff82 said:
I'm confused, under the part where you put screenshots there is just more concept art. o_0

1095675-futurama_fry_looking_squint_super.jpg

Shurs

I'm leaning towards picking this up on PC. Using a mouse seems like a better way to control the game than with a controller.

How are Ubisoft games on PC?

Anything I should know in advance?

Salsa

Shurs said:
I'm leaning towards picking this up on PC. Using a mouse seems like a better way to control the game than with a controller.

well they have a history of DRM, but i think they're past that now

Shurs said:

They are great actually, other than some of the DRM but that's past as mentioned already. I'm going for it on PC as well :p

Just don't give me a hard time for it :D

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Looks like a beautiful game, very nice art direction... haven't played a "god game" in a long while, so this may very well scratch an itch I didn't even know I had.

oracrest

Nice, I cannot wait for this! I had seen the videos a while back, but only recently found out that Eric Chahi was doing it.

Now I am extra excited!

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
This game is the winner of the Summer of XBLA.

ultron87

This game looks so great.

*must beat Bastion before it comes out*

And oh god, Catherine comes out that week too! Why are there games in the summer?!?!

dragonelite said:
Hope so because the giantbomb video look like it was a piece of cake love the time pressure hope it becomes a trial and error game a race against the disasters in the ending levels.
I like a good challenge. And if im not mistaken i saw challenge mode in that giant bomb quick look.

Did ubi said anything about that.

There's a challenge mode, and the game gets much much harder after a few missions. It has a very easy start for the first four-five missions or so.

Salsa

Gonna save Vinterbird a post and share his general impressions:

Vinterbird said:
Review embargo is until the 26th, but general impressions is more then allowed:

It's great. It's really great and clever. People should not be discouraged after the giantbomb video, since the game gets much more complicated and intelligent with its design later in the game. What they showed was within the first 30 minutes or less of the game, and was such opening up to the basics of the game.

Embargo til the 26. Hype!

I expect stories of how you solved the puzzles in interesting ways! Also pimp this to your Minecraft friends, the ones I've shown it to seem to be interested in the creativity and expression of terraforming. All this game needs is notch to tweet about it and it'd sell enough.

Super excited day one.
Dr Eggman said:
This game is the winner of the Summer of XBLA.
Pity about Fez, I figured it would make it.

Qwomo

Subscribing! After seeing the GB QL, I'm pretty certain this will be my #2 GOTY after Deus Ex 3.

The tech looks so cool, but given that it's an XBLA game I'm worried the game will be too simple and too structured to really take advantage of all it can do. Does the player do anything beyond sculpt terrain to make a path for the tribe or try and prevent them from being wiped out by disaster? Does it matter if we make flat plains for them to farm on or divert water to irrigate crops or anything like that?

Also the idea of constantly being under time pressure due to imminent disaster doesn't really sit well with me.

Haunted

Looks really slick and unique.

I love Chahi, and Populous III is still one of my most favourite and dearest RTS experiences ever... so yeah, I'm pumped!

Top Bottom