• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From Dust |OT| Eric Chahi is the new Molyneux

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Neuromancer said:
Oh yeah well. DRM was a nightmare, game was delayed with no explanation, and PC gamers are tough to please anyway ;)

Actually, PC gamers are really easy to please, it's just that it's so often that a publisher puts out a broken product or something without even the most basic options. Or they do something like lock the framerate or resolution. Just absurd things.

Companies who treat PC gamers as actual people and not afterthoughts they might make a quick buck on with a shoddy port job are beloved by the PC gaming community.

Speaking of which, did they ever patch this game beyond removing the DRM? I was really looking forward to it, but the emulated-360-stick-with-the-mouse business and the locked framerate talk kept me away.

I'm really on the fence.

I played through the demo - PSN - and I enjoyed the vague Populus memories it invoked. But is this all the game has to offer? Picking up sand and water?

r1chard

Grabbed this on PSN on the weekend after playing the demo and really enjoyed it. It gets quite challenging and there seems to be a fair bit of flexibility in how you solve each map too. I think it'd be easier to play with a mouse but it's still quite playable with the PS3 controller.

Had a lot of fun playing this game. Shame it isn't longer or had the chance for random level generators but it's a great game while it lasts. It's nice you can complete the levels how you see fit with the tools you have at your disposal.

It does have a lot more potential I feel to expand upon though so hopefully we get another game like it and it does well enough.

Tizoc

Stupid question: Will this game get removed from PSN anytime in the future?
I ask because I remember reading somewhere on GAF that the game will only be on PSN for a limited time only.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Errrr did this game download automatically for anyone?

Just turned on my PS3 this morning and it had been downloaded somehow. Never even went to the store or looked for it.

shameless bump:

So how DID that PC version for this game turn out in the end?

Did it get patched/fixed or is it still a crappy port?

still undecided if i should grab this for PC or PSN

MNC

Winnie the Pimp said:
shameless bump:

So how DID that PC version for this game turn out in the end?

Did it get patched/fixed or is it still a crappy port?

still undecided if i should grab this for PC or PSN
Played it for a bit day before yesterday, I still enjoy it. Apparently no UBI DRM anymore, it still booted up with Ubi launcher for the savegames. game still runs at 30fps and no video settings. I still liked it.

MNC said:
Played it for a bit day before yesterday, I still enjoy it. Apparently no UBI DRM anymore, it still booted up with Ubi launcher for the savegames. game still runs at 30fps and no video settings. I still liked it.

thanks hmm but i was actually more concerned about the controls, apparently they really suck compared to the console versions, so you found it playable then i assume?

MNC

The mouse controls are pretty awkward still. It's kind of like controlling an RTS camera with just the mouse movement, when you hit the edge of the screen it keeps on scrolling. It doesn't feel natural. Don't know what it's like on consoles.

MNC said:
The mouse controls are pretty awkward still. It's kind of like controlling an RTS camera with just the mouse movement, when you hit the edge of the screen it keeps on scrolling. It doesn't feel natural. Don't know what it's like on consoles.
You can tweak it in the options.

Gvaz

Banned
The best improvement would be to have wsad scrolling and mouse controls being independent of that, which you can sort of do, but it's pretty janky and obvious the game wasn't meant to be used that way.

Salsa

Gvaz said:
Oh well then I apologize. I have no idea :(

I really should give it a shot to see how bad is it. Apparently the thing is that as it speeds up animations it becomes harder to pour the right amount of water/lava and whatnot. You can more easily go overboard and stuff like that..

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
So considering From Dust is 66% off on steam now I was wondering :

- What's the state of the pc version today? I remember it being anything but a good port out the gate, any patches made that improved the game?

- Is it worth the 5 euros?

So considering From Dust is 66% off on steam now I was wondering :

- What's the state of the pc version today? I remember it being anything but a good port out the gate, any patches made that improved the game?

- Is it worth the 5 euros?

Corky beat me to it.

Are the PC controls the same as they were when released? Or have they been patched a bit?

Dakota47

Just bought it. Played for about an hour and it's okay I guess. PC controls are (still?) a bit clunky and at certain angles despositing stuff can be kinda hit & miss, but the gameplay itself is pretty enjoyable. It's too bad the game seems to be one scenario after the other, because I would have liked a sandbox mode. It looks nice, nothing stellar though (and still no graphical options other than the resolution). Sound-wise it is pretty spartan. I could've done with a little more ambient sound than just crickets. If I see water streaming I want to hear it too.

Just bought it. Played for about an hour and it's okay I guess. PC controls are (still?) a bit clunky and at certain angles despositing stuff can be kinda hit & miss, but the gameplay itself is pretty enjoyable. It's too bad the game seems to be one scenario after the other, because I would have liked a sandbox mode. It looks nice, nothing stellar though (and still no graphical options other than the resolution). Sound-wise it is pretty spartan. I could've done with a little more ambient sound than just crickets. If I see water streaming I want to hear it too.

Ok. Nice to know. No reason for me to get it, considering I already have the XBLA version

Top Bottom