• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From Dust |OT| Eric Chahi is the new Molyneux

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Kinyou said:
yeah the constant time limit seems a bit off putting

From the quicklook it seemed like if you're well protected the time limit is virtually non existent afterwards. Once he got the tidal wave protection the time was just until the next one, but you could sit there as long as you want and be safe.

The game is apparently meant to be more hectic, though, so who knows how it gets later.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
I hope I'll have time to write my review for the embargo time (Tuesday 6 PM CET), but this is one of these rare games I keep thinking of (and of all the possibilities of that engine) even after having completed it.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Awesome, another timed XBLA timed-exclusive I won't end up buying because by the time it comes out on PSN, I'll have completely forgotten about it and it'll be poorly advertised on PSN just like every other timed XBLA exclusive that eventually makes its way there. Hope the moneyhat makes up for that. Double-so if it's not on Steam Day 1.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
bone_and_sinew said:
Awesome, another timed XBLA exclusive I won't end up buying because by the time it comes out on PSN, it'll be poorly advertised and I'll completely have forgotten about the game just like every other timed XBLA exclusive. Hope the moneyhat makes up for that. Double-so if it's not on Steam Day 1.

Pretty sure all the Summer of Arcade ads it will get will certainly make up for that, yes.

mxgt

Banned
Blimblim said:
I hope I'll have time to write my review for the embargo time (Tuesday 6 PM CET), but this is one of these rare games I keep thinking of (and of all the possibilities of that engine) even after having completed it.

Now I'm even more hyped.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Papercuts said:
Pretty sure all the Summer of Arcade ads it will get will certainly make up for that, yes.
If that's their expectation and the game doesn't do so hot they have no right to complain afterwards.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Papercuts said:
That's definitely what Ubisoft if hoping for sure. I was talking to their PR guy just a few days ago and they are *very* excited about that release for sure.
As for the PC version, at work (digital software&games reseller) we have an August 17 release date. Doesn't mean some other shop won't get it earlier since it's a digital only release, but there you have it.

Einbroch

Banned
I didn't even know this game existed. I always thought when people said "From Dust" they were talking about that side-scrolling game called Dust: A (something) Tale.

I need this game. Sold after 2 minutes of the QuickLook.

Gong

I woke up this morning having dreamt about a certain section of the game I left unresolved last night, can't remember a game doing that to me in a long while.

trinest

Woorloog said:
When does this come out?
27th for PC and Xbox or something like that.

Its in the OP :/

E3 trailer got me hyped for the game at the time, suprised its coming out so quick- looks awesome.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
bone_and_sinew said:
Awesome, another timed XBLA timed-exclusive I won't end up buying because by the time it comes out on PSN, I'll have completely forgotten about it and it'll be poorly advertised on PSN just like every other timed XBLA exclusive that eventually makes its way there. Hope the moneyhat makes up for that. Double-so if it's not on Steam Day 1.
Uh, be grateful you're getting it at all? XBLA won't be getting Journey. Period.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Definitely going to buy this on either PC or PSN. It has some form of online co op right? If it does I hope it's for more than 1 player.

I see, not initially then? They better just get working on an MP component now then as people will want that badly.

Is there an alternative video to that quicklook one? With them not shutting their ugly untalented mouths I have to mute it after a while to preserve my sanity, and I wanted to hear what the game sound is like too.

It's a 37 minute 'quick' look, where he spends 3 minutes yapping about nothing then fucks up and has to start over, and they didn't think they should edit that shit out?
He also does a terrible job at explaining what is going on.

Thread title is confusing, does it mean this game is a total piece of crap that can't deliver on any of the wild promises?
Or that it's like the two games that were worth playing over 15 years ago..

edit: finished the video, looks like a cool concept.

BluWacky

SneakyStephan said:

I know you're exaggerating, but Peter Molyneux was behind some of the greatest home computer games of the late 80s/90s. Populous, Powermonger, Syndicate, Theme Park, and Dungeon Keeper in particular were classics; Magic Carpet was widely acclaimed on release, and even Hi-Octane wasn't BAD. And that's not counting the titles that his studio produced under his watch like Theme Hospital and Flood.

And if you know who Eric Chahi is, you'll probably know Molyneux for those titles, not Fable and Black and White.

Balehead

SneakyStephan said:
Is there an alternative video to that quicklook one? With them not shutting their ugly untalented mouths I have to mute it after a while to preserve my sanity, and I wanted to hear what the game sound is like too.

It's a 37 minute 'quick' look, where he spends 3 minutes yapping about nothing then fucks up and has to start over, and they didn't think they should edit that shit out?

Duder, that's Giant Bomb man. You'll eventually become capable of filtering much of their nonsense and see what the games they are showing are actually about. That quick look is about on par with every Brad quicklook, so don't expect things to change on their end.

At 15$ this is a day 1 purchase for me on Steam when ever that version becomes available. I have a feeling it's going to be a very shallow game in the end, but I'll probably get my money's worth anyways. I do hope there's much more to it than just spreading element X to make a pathway over water for your folks though.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Balehead said:
Duder, that's Giant Bomb man. You'll eventually become capable of filtering much of their nonsense and see what the games they are showing are actually about..

Yeap, which is why I watch pretty much only a couple of minutes of each quicklook with the sound off at that.

edit : for the sake of argument, check out Totalbiscuits "WTF is..." series and compare'em to the gb QLs, here's altitude for example of which I remember the gb guys doing like a 3min silent quicklook of or something.

yes I'm aware that the altitude ql is one of the worse ones out there

Summer of arcade can you buy those titles without gold?
Im kinda short on money(gaming rig)and forgot to update gold again.
So i have to choose 1 month gold and a week later from dust or 800 msp and get it this Wednesday when i dont need gold.

BluWacky

dragonelite said:
Summer of arcade can you buy those titles without gold?
Im kinda short on money(gaming rig)and forgot to update gold again.
So i have to choose 1 month gold and a week later from dust or 800 msp and get it this Wednesday when i dont need gold.

You don't need Gold to buy Summer of Arcade titles.

Qwomo

SneakyStephan said:

Thread title is confusing, does it mean this game is a total piece of crap that can't deliver on any of the wild promises?

edit: finished the video, looks like a cool concept.
jcwat.gif

Amir0x said:
i don't know how the game will end up but that is some of the best concept art i've ever seen for any game

Never again will i go after concept art Codename:Kingdoms(Ryse) artwork was nowhere near what we got at E3

Amir0x

Banned
dragonelite said:
Never again will i go after concept art Codename:Kingdoms(Ryse) artwork was nowhere near what we got at E3

don't remind me.

The game concept definitely looks appealing enough but the concept art is simply gorgeous

Rattles

Soo thats who made Heart of darkness.. Op you have succeeded in getting my hype up
for a sequel to Heart of darkness.

Blimblim said:

Every time I walk by a puddle of water I keep thinking of how I could divert it into some lava, or how to use some sand to change the flow of it.

The game really gets in your head after a few hours.

gillty

Banned
So is the game coming out on July 27th or the 17th of August for PC?

I thought it was weird that a SummerofArcade game would be released the same day on another platform.

Next question, Is the game coming to Steam like Chahi has said in the past?

What the fuck is wrong with Ubisoft pr/marketing. Is it so hard to answer yes/no to release dates.

GeoramA said:
:rage:

Will try the demo, but I doubt I'll end up getting it now. Time limits always ruin games for me.

There IS NOT a constant time limit in all the levels. There's a few things in SOME levels that happens every now and then (like a tsunami that will come every minute or a lava flood from the volcano every 30 seconds), but you can take all the time in the world on some/most of the levels.

Mrbob

bone_and_sinew said:

I agree with you in principle, as timed exclusives of any sort aren't really worth it anymore. You basically have a finite window to sell games in, when it is hyped the most. Once that window closes it is tough to sell it on other platforms after the fact. Sometimes it works out, but most often it doesn't (see recently: Mass Effect 2 on PS3). I don't think the money hat is worth the loss sales on other platforms, but I guess UBI thinks it is worth the gamble.

It is going to be on Steam, though. So you can also get it for the PC.

The time limit thing really rubbed me the wrong way too. But I'm going to let it slide.
If it's frequent I won't finish the game.
TheOddOne said:
Only Uncharted 2 has really translaten its art to an amazing game. This sounds to be doing the same :)
tbh it looks like they took early screenshots of the game and painted over them. And as for the "only Uncharted 2" claim that's pretty narrow sighted.

It is indeed NOT showing on Steam at all right now... (not on Euro Steam at least) :(

for a game that releases in just a couple days i think this does not bode well so i assume an august 17 date would probably be more realistic hmm...

I want to get this so bad. So damn gorgeous, and any connection to Populous stirs a part of me that fell in love with games in the first place.

But I can't do it if the game is just a series of timed puzzles, ie. 3 minutes til a tsunami. But thats all I've really heard about this. Need more impressions from farther in the game.

Ceebs

Winnie the Pimp said:
It is indeed NOT showing on Steam at all right now... (not on Euro Steam at least) :(

for a game that releases in just a couple days i think this does not bode well so i assume an august 17 date would probably be more realistic hmm...
like 90% of these download only style games never show up on Steam until they are actually released unless there was a preorder push for it.

Wow, haven't heard about this game in forever. Looks amazing!

Shame about the time limit though. Guess I'll have to try the Trial first before biting.

TheOddOne

Visualante said:
tbh it looks like they took early screenshots of the game and painted over them. And as for the "only Uncharted 2" claim that's pretty narrow sighted.
When looking at the art of Uncharted 2 they pretty much nailed every aspect of it in the game. Other games come close to it though, I said it with a little hyperbole but I get what you trying to say.

Top Bottom