• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From Dust |OT| Eric Chahi is the new Molyneux

Zuhzuhzombie!! said:
Opened thread. Saw a retard. Promptly replied and closed thread.

Fuck off PC goons.

Wow, how dare PC users demand that the game run according to their hardware specs a.k.a better than 2006 tech you have in your console?

This thread is the most depressing thing ever. I've been waiting for this game for years, but now I don't know what version to get after this fiasco. I suppose I'll hold off to see if they fix the PC port for now.

Castor Krieg said:
Wow, how dare PC users demand that the game run according to their hardware specs a.k.a better than 2006 tech you have in your console?
Calling someone a retard is always a good foundation for a counter-argument.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Spookie said:
Installed it, found it was locked at 30 FPS and promptly uninstalled it.

Fuck off Ubisoft.
LOL omg that is fucking terrible. I would have done the same. Guess I'm not buying From Dust. Thanks Ubi. You just saved me some money.

Castor Krieg said:

Playing this on Steam, buddy.

Runs just fine. uPlay being forced on you sucks, especially since I didn't have an account.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Did you guys uncheck mouse scrolling? When I did that the mouse controls became far more bearable. The gap between the edge of the screen and when it starts scrolling is still way too big, but it's better then the default.

Baha

Atm there doesn't seem to be a way to uncap the framerate or tweak settings outside the game. I really hope Ubisoft announces a patch or something soon.

kharak

Neo Member
MNC said:
I was playing From Dust offline for a good 10 seconds, to test the DRM, so it does have offline mode.

No "always online" drm but you must be online to launch the uplay client.

WTF! Anyone had problems with d3doverrider not enabling to stop the screen tearing? Must be because that shitty Ubisoft launcher has to open as well?

lol51

Much regret over this purchase...

I was able to overlook some user complaints but 40 mins in a level and I crashed. Read on ubi forums that others are crashing similar place I was - but repeatedly.

Glad i got Bastion though.

I really need some help here, nothing I do seems to help with the horrible screen tearing. I have enabled Tripple Buffering and Vsync via d3doverrider for both the From Dust exe as well as Global setting...nothing. Enabled it via CCC...Nothing.

How are you guys fixing the screen tearing?

Sinatar

Sutton Dagger said:
I really need some help here, nothing I do seems to help with the horrible screen tearing. I have enabled Tripple Buffering and Vsync via d3doverrider for both the From Dust exe as well as Global setting...nothing. Enabled it via CCC...Nothing.

How are you guys fixing the screen tearing?

With the in game vsync option.

ASilva

Neo Member
Sutton Dagger said:
So there aren't any ini settings that can be tweaked etc? Does enabling FXAA help with image quality as one poster suggested?

Yes it does, alot.

Zuhzuhzombie!! said:
How do you enable FSAA and vsync?

VSync you can force through D3D Override or your graphics card (I'm forcing triple buffering through ncp and it seems to be working)

FXAA you can force with this

tci said:
Horrible PC controls and settings. Will not play this more until they fix it.

Yup, same here. Very disappointed by this lousy port job they've done. I know people have all sorts of problems with console ports but it really is rare to find one this bad these days.

Salsa

after some thought i figure the game is 30fps because it animates at 30fps.. really doubt its something that a post-release patch could fix.

Its sad, but not gamebreaking. Lets hope for a fix on the controls.

teeny

I was really looking forward to the PC release of this and now I dont know what to do.

Would anyone recommend the PC version over 360, as a 360 pad can be used to alleviate some of the problems with the controls?

Or would it be best just to get it for the 360 in the first place?

It is a shame Ubi couldnt have put a little effort into the port, considering the genre and controls of the game.

Sinatar

teeny said:
I was really looking forward to the PC release of this and now I dont know what to do.

Would anyone recommend the PC version over 360, as a 360 pad can be used to alleviate some of the problems with the controls?

It is a shame Ubi couldnt have put a little effort into the port, considering the genre and controls of the game.

You can run it at higher resolutions then the console, have 16x AF on so the textures don't look like shit at a distance and force AA cleaning the image up. It may not be a good port but it's still the best version out there.

teeny said:

PC version is not terrible. Haven't played 360 version but PC controls well after you get used to them. It's not "RTS" like controls.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun reports on the shit port, confusion about DRM and just Ubisoft being Ubisoft.

Some users have been able to get refunds.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/18/from-dust-does-need-online-badly-ported/#more-69963

After the delay it's just so unnecessary to release an unfinished product. Hope more people vote with their wallets and don't buy or get refunds.

So fucking sad, I was looking forward to a good god game. Old-school Populous fan here. Not going to support it if Ubi can't get their act together.

I was really looking forward to this on PC, but I'm not buying it now. What are the chances of Ubisoft patching this to fix it?

Anyone have this bug?

puxa.jpg

The English Conquistador said:
Ah man, such a bummer to see how poorly done this port is. I really wanted to get it as well.

The game looks so beautiful. :(

Not much wrong with the game. It's just the same as on Xbox 360.

Uplay stuff is crappy but currently not an issue for me.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
JoeTheBlow said:
Why? The French thing? OK, but man i'm pissed.

Ehm... yeah that french thing. Regardless of how disappointed you ( and the rest of us for that matter ) are you might want to stay clear of derogatory terms and personal insults.

AEREC

I still think it's a shoddy port job, but the game is still enjoyable with a mouse and keyboard...and at 1920x1080 the graphics are alot cleaner than the xbox version.

At it's worst this is just a nicer looking console version. 60fps and smoother mouse controls would have gone a long way though...but I dont regret my purchase after playing it for a while.

Just finished the PC version. Great game!

At worst it's indeed a better looking console-version but everything that makes the game great is still there. Plays great with m/kb.

Yikes is this ever sloppy. Thankfully, the FSAA linked on this page worked like a charm, but I cannot get D3D Overrider to work, which is a first. Perhaps it is a version problem, but according to 3DGuru, the latest RivaTuner was released on 2009-08-23 (which seems odd in itself). Any thoughts? (Win7 64, 6950)

Shame all the nonsense about framerate/DRM took a lot of the thunder away from the actual game. Which I believe was truly excellent. =(

senahorse

Link here

Just tested with FRAPS and it confirmed 60fps in game.

edit: on the page it's mentioned that official patches will break it, so might be an idea to turn off auto-patching if using it.

Gav47

x3n05 said:
Link here

Just tested with FRAPS and it confirmed 60fps in game.

edit: on the page it's mentioned that official patches will break it, so might be an idea to turn off auto-patching if using it.
This is brilliant and works perfectly with the FXAA mod as well.

Technical issues and Ubisoft sleaziness aside, the actual game is brilliant. This second to last level is incorrectly named, however. I assume "Movements" is just someone misspelling "Because fuck you!" I eventually broke down a watched a video walkthrough and realized that you can move the totems. That would have made a few of the earlier levels a bit less hectic, or at least made my solutions more elegant and less "look, it works so just shut up." :p

Top Bottom