• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From Dust |OT| Eric Chahi is the new Molyneux

x3n05 said:
Link here

Just tested with FRAPS and it confirmed 60fps in game.

edit: on the page it's mentioned that official patches will break it, so might be an idea to turn off auto-patching if using it.

The animation/spread of at least the lava seems to be connected to FPS. At 60fps the central volcano on Movements goes nuts forming a cone of lava the quickly spreads, and at 120fps it quickly began to consume the entire island. :(

A pity since the vsync command works, which is my biggest gripe.

You mentioned official patches. Doesn't From Dust update through the launcher rather than Steam or manual patches? Hopefully not because, if so, I will get to experience further anger. :p

Blimblim

The Inside Track
CabbageRed said:
Technical issues and Ubisoft sleaziness aside, the actual game is brilliant. This second to last level is incorrectly named, however. I assume "Movements" is just someone misspelling "Because fuck you!" I eventually broke down a watched a video walkthrough and realized that you can move the totems. That would have made a few of the earlier levels a bit less hectic, or at least made my solutions more elegant and less "look, it works so just shut up." :p
One level (the 4th iirc, the one where fire trees are introduced) has you move a totem. You can't pass it unless you do it, so you should have known ;)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
x3n05 said:
Link here

edit: on the page it's mentioned that official patches will break it, so might be an idea to turn off auto-patching if using it.

This worked perfectly. Sooo much better, nice find man.

CabbageRed said:
Technical issues and Ubisoft sleaziness aside, the actual game is brilliant. This second to last level is incorrectly named, however. I assume "Movements" is just someone misspelling "Because fuck you!" I eventually broke down a watched a video walkthrough and realized that you can move the totems. That would have made a few of the earlier levels a bit less hectic, or at least made my solutions more elegant and less "look, it works so just shut up." :p

You can move the totems?!

Lol, I finished the game without doing to. Isn't that the way to play the game in the first place?

x3n05 said:
Link here

+1

Let's see if it cures the headaches I get from playing this game. I bet it's due to the combination of 30fps and scrolling/panning.

Salsa

PjotrStroganov said:
+1

Let's see if it cures the headaches I get from playing this game. I bet it's due to the combination of 30fps and scrolling/panning.

Sinatar said:
This worked perfectly. Sooo much better, nice find man.

hold your horses guys, from the other thread:

Pachinko said:
The games framerate does indeed go up but so does the gamespeed for all the elements, so rivers and volcanoes run at whatever your framerate is divided by 30 , the animations on those same things break to, they start running at half speed but outputting 3 or 4 times as much water and magma. Basically at 60fps official patch would be nice, I'm more concerned with fixing vsynch though.

Turns out I was able to force vsync through Radeonpro once I turned on "Force aggressive API detection level."

Blimblim said:
One level (the 4th iirc, the one where fire trees are introduced) has you move a totem. You can't pass it unless you do it, so you should have known ;)

The what the what? I suppose I'll have to go back and check.

Edit: Well look at that. I blame the Memory Goblins but, since they're the only the thing keeping the Erection Demons at bay, I'll let this one slide.

clip

Despite it being a very poor PC port, this is an excellent goddamned game. I must have played 5 hours yesterday.

Amazing game.

Have only 2 levels to finish it. The last level I played is the one that amazed me the most.

Playing it on PC. I don't get all the negative talk around it. The only bad thing is the Uplay thing. That's awful. Other than that, the game is awesome.

Running smooth, with no tearing, or I'm not seeing it (E6600, GTX 560 Ti).

Shizuku

Neo Member
I'm really looking forward to playing this but I'm still somewhat on the fence about picking a platform. So, in the end what seems more sensible? To go for 360 or PC?

Finished this yesterday. Really enjoyed the last two levels, one of which gave me a good challenge.

Not sure I believe my steam account which says I've only spent 1.7 hours on the game, but hell maybe that is right. Still thought it was worthwhile. Also don't think the PC controls are that bad.

Anilusion

KScorp said:
This looks like an amazingly fun game but I only have access to a PC... damn. :(

What games are similar to this?

The PC version is still way better than the 360 version, it's only terrible by PC standards.

Any sign of the PS3 version yet? The game looks pretty unique and worth look, but my interest will probably waver if I have to wait for too long to get a chance to play it; too many other good games coming up this autumn.

Anilusion said:
The PC version is still way better than the 360 version, it's only terrible by PC standards.

I wouldn't say that at all, the 360 version is actually quite good and plays just fine with the controls. It also looks good to me.

I want to play this game :( I preordered long ago and it continues crashing on startup. I've never seen a loading screen or anything. It just syncs savegames (wtf, i dont have any) and crashes :(

c2d e6850, gf 560gtx ti, 8gb ram, sb xfi

JWong

Banned
Didn't have an issue with controls.

The gameplay mechanic is pretty boring through. Played 4 boring levels. I'll get back to it later.

Mindlog

wolfmat said:
The "Sacrifice" challenge is fucking BULLSHIT. Especially with a mouse. It's ridiculous.
It's about time more people started getting pissed off about this challenge :]

The only things that really helped me. Scoop from the center of the first island. You should get at least 2 full-sized dirt balls. You can get a third if you later scoop the edge correctly. Also, there is an undersea hole in the area where you build the first path. If you are careful with your initial placement you can scoop all the earth out this reservoir. It helps.

It just took time for me to learn how to make the final path properly. It's a fine between between the perfect pour, the perfect line and quick completion and putting up with bullshit.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Mindlog said:
It's about time more people started getting pissed off about this challenge :]

The only things that really helped me. Scoop from the center of the first island. You should get at least 2 full-sized dirt balls. You can get a third if you later scoop the edge correctly. Also, there is an undersea hole in the area where you build the first path. If you are careful with your initial placement you can scoop all the earth out this reservoir. It helps.

It just took time for me to learn how to make the final path properly. It's a fine between between the perfect pour, the perfect line and quick completion and putting up with bullshit.
Oh I can do the path. It's just that I need more time. When the wave arrives, the priest stands in front of the learning thingie.

And there's no way I see to trade off so that I get it done in time. With a controller — maybe. With a mouse — impossible. You have 2 dimensions with a mouse where you can adjust to account for precision vs speed: plain mouse speed and zoom level. The issue is that the mouse movement is fucked. And you need both precision and speed. Precision for pouring the sand, speed to get to the sand sources in time. It's broken, mang. Don't think I want to revisit this one without a controller.

Dakota47

There is news concerning the DRM.

We recognize that one of our posts in the From Dust forum regarding the need for authentication in the game was not clear. We sincerely apologize for the misunderstanding. Our tech teams are working on a patch that should release in approximately two weeks that will eliminate the need for any online authentication. This development time is required as we are working to ensure that those who have already started the game, and who’s progress is currently saved on our servers, will receive and save their game information locally. Once the patch is ready, players who already have the game will automatically receive the update on their next login and subsequent game sessions will be 100% offline.

Ubi better keep its word this time around.

Mindlog

Rez said:
Which one is Sacrifice?
Sacrifice is a challenge mission with barely enough dirt to complete the path. You start on 1 small island, have to move to a second and then you must retrieve the water knowledge before a tsunami strikes.

I have yet to try it with a mouse. Even on my PC I used the 360 controller.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Picked it up on PC, pretty good, despite the shoddy port issues.

The story mode seems a little too easy. A few things I would like:

Hard and Extra Hard story mode.

300% vegetation challenge on all stages.

Time Trials like in Portal.

Gaspode_T

I finally played through the tsunami stage the other night, the second try I thought as long as I don't create the village then I can have all the time in the world to build my little land bridges in between water and islands but that didn't work out very well.......

I have more fun in this game in a landscaping sense than anything else, it's pretty fun to try to fight with water and get it to move a different way - borders on frustrating sometimes

KTallguy

Banned
I played with the mouse for half of the game, and then tried with the 360 controller. It's unplayable... once you get used to the mouse wheel and shit the 360 controller feels so weird. And you have a lot more precision with the mouse, even though it's non-standard mouse control.

I can't wait till I start yelling at my screen during the challenge stages. I really liked that one with water and lava rivers on either side, and I just finished the one where it's mostly water at the beginning and you have to connect the islands.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Maybe it's just me but I'm not that keen on the current challenge mode. Yeah, some of the trials are interesting, but they're mostly gimmicky puzzles.

I was hoping they'd be challenges that are more akin to having to manage villages. Something like the last challenge. The last challenge was interesting.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Just wanted to make a comment on how beautiful and natural everything looks, the physics mesh so well, it's amazing.

On the other hand, some of the pop-in that occurs when the game switches from low res textures and low poly models to high ones is rather jarring if you pay attention to that sort of thing.

LeCapitan

Neo Member
I thought PC and PS3 were being released at the same time. :(

I have spare money on PSN, where are you From Dust PSN Version?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Man, I hope they release more stages like that "Movements" stage. It's so deliciously hard at first, but once you get the hang of it, the stage is pretty easy.

I love those stages that are so hard they make me cry.

(But not hard in the sense that "Sacrifice" is hard)

LeCapitan said:
I thought PC and PS3 were being released at the same time. :(

I have spare money on PSN, where are you From Dust PSN Version?

Really thought it would have been released by now on PS3, dragging the arse out of it now.

Meisadragon said:
Superb god game From Dust will be relased for PlayStation 3 via PlayStation Network on 14th September, Ubisoft has announced
2 Ubisoft: Nah, you won't get my money (sorry, Chahi). You can use the moneyhats from Microsoft, though.

LOVE & TRUTH said:
2 Ubisoft: Nah, you won't get my money (sorry, Chahi). You can use the moneyhats from Microsoft, though.
Oh come on. So you had to wait a month. I wouldn't miss out on a great game like this, in a genre that barely exists anymore, because of that.

Flunkie

Banned
I just got an update for this on Steam.

From Dust

-Title can be played in offline mode (no connection to the Internet is required after installing the patch)
-Save file is moved from the Uplay/Ubisoft server to the local machine

Tried the demo out on PS3 last night and really enjoyed it. Surprised me really especially after all the negativity on GAF. Handed the control over to the missus after I was done and she enjoyed it as well, so I'll definitely be grabbing it.

-Deadpool- said:
Tried the demo out on PS3 last night and really enjoyed it. Surprised me really especially after all the negativity on GAF. Handed the control over to the missus after I was done and she enjoyed it as well, so I'll definitely be grabbing it.
Really, I thought most of GAF was pretty positive about it (at least the 360 version).

Top Bottom