• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From the World of John Wick: Ballerina (2025) Official Trailer - Ana de Armas

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I loved her in the James Bond movie, but here she just doesn't have the same precise movement and speed of keanu. Keanu looks like an assassin. She looks like an actress pretending to be an assassin. She's like 80% there. But that last 20% is crucial for believability.

Good action though.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
"You are him, the one they call the Baba Yaga"

:messenger_confounded:

Baba Yaga in Slavic myths is always an old woman. The word baba usually means either grand mother or (old) woman in Slavic languages.

SJRB

Gold Member
Massive props for them literally spelling out that she will always be smaller and weaker than the men she's fighting.

Finally.

Anyway, looks cool! Isn't a lot of this basically Black Widow?

Also, the stunt person who jumped through that window to escape the fire 100% broke their shoulder or something, that dive looked brutal.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Looks fun, will watch.

But she doesn't have the physicality for any of these fights. It's not even a big deal to have a 100 lb woman attempting to armbar you while you're in a standing position, and there's no way to sell it as being a big deal like you'd be flailing around for dear life. Nah.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I'm pretty exhausted of the Wick films, mostly because they go wwaaaaaay over the top with the length of their fights. In quick snippets Ana can sorta sell this stuff, but no doubt each of these kills is just 1 of 8 very similar take downs in a row. I know the stunt team puts their heart and soul (and bodies) into those scenes but damn, edit them down! I'm also bewildered at their "universe" and how it could work as it seems like it would always be on the precipice of total collapse since it all relies on "gentlemans rules".

Buuuuuuuut Ana is a doll, this particular team at least delivers solid action, and the trailer goes out of its way to let us know Ana is a scrappy underdog fighting dirty, not the "best most awesomest most coolest most man killing baddests YASS QUEEN of them all!"

Kinda hope we can get Gina Careno and Ronda Rousey back into shape for a fun demonstration of what REAL FIGHTIN' WIMMENS would look like and can do in one of these films.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
This has Atomic Blonde vibes all over it (Yep, that was the female John Wick to me) but this looks pretty up to snuff too.

Will be hard to capture the same magic John Wick has, but if the movie takes into play the female aspect (Something which Atomic Blonde did amazingly) and this being the closest thing we will ever get to a Atomic Blonde/John Wick crossover movie, i am more than just excited.

But please convince me more that Ana de Armas is a cold killer like Keanu was. This trailer didn't sell me on that just yet.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Looks fun, will watch.

But she doesn't have the physicality for any of these fights. It's not even a big deal to have a 100 lb woman attempting to armbar you while you're in a standing position, and there's no way to sell it as being a big deal like you'd be flailing around for dear life. Nah.

You would let her armbar you and pretend it hurt.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Ana de Armas.

Say no more.
I created very terribly...... Anna No Armas

3b6AdwW.jpeg

Melon Husk

If this is the girl boss version of the first one with higher production value, that's good enough.

The last John Wick was... not good.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

I have only one very important question.

how naked will she be and for how long?

you know, so i can tell people to avert their eyes obviously...

bitbydeath

Massive props for them literally spelling out that she will always be smaller and weaker than the men she's fighting.

Finally.

Anyway, looks cool! Isn't a lot of this basically Black Widow?

Also, the stunt person who jumped through that window to escape the fire 100% broke their shoulder or something, that dive looked brutal.
My Name (Korean show) on Netflix does this and teaches her how to fight people stronger than her.

9t94csE.gif

Would recommend if you haven’t seen it.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
My Name (Korean show) on Netflix does this and teaches her how to fight people stronger than her.

9t94csE.gif

Would recommend if you haven’t seen it.

I like how in the trailer the trainer states that they're going to train her how to fight larger and stronger people. This is what they actually do in armed forces across the world when it comes to women soldiers.

My niece is a Marine. They instructed her how to use a knife to make larger and stronger men basically kill themselves with it. She also knows every point on a man's body to inflict the most pain. The Marines don't fuck around.

clarky

Gold Member
None of the John Wick films are a patch on the first one but Ana is absolutely mega. Will watch just for her

LimanimaPT

I haven't seen the trailer, so I'll just guess.
This is John Wick, without Keanu Reeves and a strong female character instead.
Did I got it right?
This reminds me of Furiosa...

I haven't seen the trailer, so I'll just guess.
This is John Wick, without Keanu Reeves and a strong female character instead.
Did I got it right?
This reminds me of Furiosa...

He is in, has a cameo, but yes. It's pretty much Furiosa. A prequel to the last John Wick.

FunkMiller

Looks fun, will watch.

The weird thing is, they totally sold me on the ‘you’ll always be weaker than them, kick them in the nuts’ thing. That was perfect.

But then she’s doing a load of hard physical manoeuvres anyway?

Give her knives. Punch daggers. Have her concentrate on weak spots. That’s how you sell a character like this, and how one would work in reality.

Maybe that’s too vicious for a big budget Hollywood movie?

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The weird thing is, they totally sold me on the ‘you’ll always be weaker than them, kick them in the nuts’ thing. That was perfect.

But then she’s doing a load of hard physical manoeuvres anyway?
Exactly. Back in the day all the action movies acknowledged the physical differences with the on-screen action and didn’t have to say anything. Now we’re saying so in the dialogue merely as a way to set her up as even more of a badass, I guess, without bothering to make the fights pass at all.

It was silly when Joss Whedon tried to do it in Dollhouse, and it’s still silly now. Give her weapons or stealth or a cyborg body or superpowers. Have her be outmatched in hand to hand but get out of it through other means.

FunkMiller

Exactly. Back in the day all the action movies acknowledged the physical differences with the on-screen action and didn’t have to say anything. Now we’re saying so in the dialogue merely as a way to set her up as even more of a badass, I guess, without bothering to make the fights pass at all.

It was silly when Joss Whedon tried to do it in Dollhouse, and it’s still silly now. Give her weapons or stealth or a cyborg body or superpowers. Have her be outmatched in hand to hand but get out of it through other means.

Problem is, they just want ‘female John Wick’ and nothing else. They still want the same audience, who want to see Keane Reeves still. Not a little waif.

Eventually someone with balls will make one of these movies with a nasty, terrifying bitch who will use any weapon at her disposal to fuck a dude up… and it’ll do huge business. Because women will turn out for that.

Top Bottom