• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From Thoth to Yog-Sog-Thoth, anyone?

Con_Z_ǝdʇ

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Hey GAF,

over the weekend i finished reading Emerald Tablets of Thoth the Atlantean by M. Doreal.

In there, Yog-Sog-Thoth is mentioned. I only knew this name from Lovecraft stories and was surprised to see it here. A google search didn't bring much up other than a Reddit post which leans into some sort of copyright claim. I found it weird that there is nothing written online about the connection of these gods cause in this book it gives a different layer to them. Or maybe i just haven't read enough of such stories to know.

That's why i made this thread, to ask for your insight in regards to the connection.

It reads:

In the last days of Atlantis, the great wave of consciousness that had once occupied the bodies of Earth's people went to Venus, and the consciousness that occupied the bodies of the masses came from Mars. This was more materialistic than the previous consciousness, and since they looked into the darkness instead of the light, Yog-Sog-Thoth opened the door to the underlying cycle. Some of the consciousnesses of the previous wave were attracted by material power and entered this plane. It was perhaps this part of their nature that had prevented them from moving on with their companions. The one who opens the gate to the cycle below must be a master, otherwise he would not be sufficiently balanced in his power to prevent those from below from rising up.

I did not read the english version so i made this translation. Maybe it's not perfect but should give you a hint as to what im refering to.

Thoth is bringer of knowledge and wisdom for humanity, aiding them on their journey to ascension. And Yog-Sog-Thoth is his opposite. Same in knowledge and wisdom but different in degree. Given the premise of the book itself, this brief glimpse gives a deeper meaning to both entities showing that, neglecting the path of ascension is an option in itself. Of course without judgment cause it's still tied to occult practices. Obviously the focus lies on Thoth and the path he lays out so we don't get much more information here but it leaves a lasting impact on the entirety of the book.

So what do you say? Fascinating interwoven fiction or to touch some grass.

Re-Cycle me if old.

giphy.webp

jason10mm

Gold Member
I got your Yog-sloth-thot right here....

c9SnRlZ.gif

I'm trying to remember if Yog-sothoth was originally created by HPL or if he borrowed him from someone else. Helps to remember that HPL had only a loose sense of continuity and a lot of the "mythos" was hammered together after his death by August Derleth who DID love continuity and shared universes.

Top Bottom