• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From Tupac to Rosa Parks: KY county clerk Kim Davis says "Only God can judge me now"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishlake

Sigh, it is going all to her plan. She now gets paid tax dollars to sit in jail off he religious beliefs. She cannot be fired and licenses can't be given out until she is released.

I think she is getting the best deal over Kentucky in this way. She gets to play martyr and make more than me.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
!!!! GENDERLESS DYSTOPIA IS BACK

2EWit6k.gif

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Every single republican candidate has excitedly lined up behind her. I think this woman's past is a pandora's box you don't want to sit on, to be honest. They just aren't being strategically smart. They've created a base that only wants blood and they can't be given honey anymore.

Grym

Sigh, it is going all to her plan. She now gets paid tax dollars to sit in jail off he religious beliefs. She cannot be fired and licenses can't be given out until she is released.

I think she is getting the best deal over Kentucky in this way. She gets to play martyr and make more than me.

bolded isn't true. The deputy clerks will now be expected to issues licenses in her absence. The judge gave them an opportunity to speak with counsel prior to asking them if they will (they maybe be held in contempt as well depending on their decisions)

gcubed

bolded isn't true. The deputy clerks will now be expected to issues licenses in her absence. The judge gave them an opportunity to speak with counsel prior to asking them if they will (they maybe be held in contempt as well depending on their decisions)

does her signature still appear on those forms?

That would be glorious if so

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
[Her lawyer] said Davis will be fingerprinted and photographed “just like a criminal.”

Quite right, she is a criminal.

“This cannot be tolerated,” he said. “This is ultimately going to spark a huge debate around the country. This is not the kind of country – this is not the America that our founders envisioned.”

No, this ruling represents exactly the kind of country the founding fathers envisioned. Fucking lawyers will say anything.

Fishlake

All right that is good to hear.

HylianTom

Banned
Every single republican candidate has excitedly lined up behind her. I think this woman's past is a pandora's box you don't want to sit on, to be honest. They just aren't being strategically smart. They've created a base that only wants blood and they can't be given honey anymore.

Trump just dodged a question about her at this conference, claiming he knows nothing about it. Pretty damn telling.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Is this true? Didn't fiorina come out and say she should issue the licenses?

She's a damn moron..

Pretty sure your position doesn't give you the right to decide what people can or can't do according to the law.

I'm sure she has issued gambling licenses and that's also a no-no in most Christian religions.

Just more Christians desperate to be persecuted. Should have just done her job and realized that it doesn't affect her personal beliefs.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member

Every single counter to her past I've seen so far is something along the lines of, "Well, that was before she found god and now she's forgiven." Then it continues into some sort of counter argument along with a bible phrase.

Grym

I believe Fiorina is the only naysayer in the GOP hopeful field so far. She said the clerk should follow the law or resign if she feels she cannot do so.

Any word on what the deputy clerks decided to do?
News is busy falling over themselves to listen to Trump say China, Mexico, and Japan a couple dozen more times..I'm actually waiting to hear what's going on in Kentucky. Shit sucks. We know, Trump, you're amazing. Get this orangutan off already..

C.Dark.DN

Banned
News is busy falling over themselves to listen to Trump say China, Mexico, and Japan a couple dozen more times..I'm actually waiting to hear what's going on in Kentucky. Shit sucks. We know, Trump, you're amazing. Get this orangutan off already..
What? Trump is there giving a speech?
Wait I read that wrong

Seriously, there is virtually nothing that could have been done to her that wouldn't have made her some kind of hero or martyr. No matter what they did, whether it's fining her or sending her to jail, basically proved the case that Christians are persecuted for their beliefs. It's essentially an unfalsifiable situation for those people.

Jailing her was the best solution. You fine her, they get their persecution "win" and they can donate money to pay off the fine. Jail her, and maybe she actually thinks about her stupidity.

Edit:

It's this kind of appeasement that allows a formerly Republican minority congress get away with so much nothing. [/rant]

The Rapture is coming.....

j0LOaxl.png

Yes, I know.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Where is this narrative coming from that she cares about the money? The position has been in her family for nearly half a century.

This bit will be interesting when the deputies decide what to do, being as one of the deputies is, I think, her son.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
Every single republican candidate has excitedly lined up behind her.

Yeah, that's not true. Both Fiorina and Graham specifically stated that Davis should issue the licenses or resign. And most of the other candidates haven't so much "excitedly lined up behind her" (which really only describes Huckabee's reaction) as they have avoided the specific question by stating general support for balancing the rights of both the gay couples that want to marry and the government employees with religious objections.

Sorry to ruin your cheap shot, bud.

I'm not really sure why the deputies are being dragged into this. As the federal court pointed out in its August 12 order:

nder Kentucky law, a county judge executive can . . . issue licenses when the county clerk is absent. See Ky. Rev. Stat. Ann. s 402.240. Because Davis continued to perform her other duties as Rowan County Clerk, [Rowan County Judge Executive Walter] Blevins concluded that she was not "absent" within the meaning of the statute. Therefore, he did not believe that he had the authority to issue their marriage licenses.

I assume the problem must be that, if the clerk herself is absent, but the deputy clerks remain available to fulfill her duties, the clerk is not "absent" as used in the statute cited. Otherwise, I'd think the clerk's imprisonment would count as her "absence" and permit the Judge Executive to issue marriage licenses.

Kama_1082

Banned
I love how he threw her in the can instead of fining her because she knew damn well that her nutjob followers would pay the fines.

Amir0x

Banned

And so did Lindsay Graham. Link

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) said Tuesday that because Kim Davis is a public official, she should “comply with the law or resign.”

“The rule of law is the rule of law,” he told conservative radio host Hugh Hewitt. “We are a rule of law nation.”

Graham, a 2016 presidential hopeful, said that he agrees with her personal beliefs, but she must abide by the law.

“I appreciate her conviction, I support traditional marriage, but she’s accepted a job in which she has to apply the law to everyone,” he said.

Of course there are those who will say we know why he agreed /JonStewart

Zoe

Honestly, what did she think was going to happen? They'd undo the law because she didn't want to?

She did try to argue to get them to change the law--the law requiring the clerk to be the one signing the document.

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2015/08/29/3696830/kim-davis-kentucky-marriage-scotus/
In previous lower court rulings, Davis has suggested that same-sex couples can either go to a neighboring county or seek the signature of a different Rowan County official. She has also suggested that the state could change the law about marriage license signatures, removing the requirement that she sign her name to couples she finds sinful. The lower-court judge has rejected all three arguments.

Aren't there laws against profiting from a crime (like not being able to write a book about a murder you commited and keeping the profits of the book sales). Are donations (like from a gofundme campaign or equivalent) covered under these laws?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom