• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From Tupac to Rosa Parks: KY county clerk Kim Davis says "Only God can judge me now"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clockwork

Also why is this an elected position? She does administrative work. It's clearly a rigged system if her mother had it, she has it, and has a son working under her.

Zoe

It's obviously not the only reason, but you don't need it spelled out to infer that it plays a part.

Rowan County, KY:

"The median income for a household in the county was $33,081. Males had a median income of $26,777 versus $20,104 for females. The per capita income for the county was $13,888. About 15.90% of families and 21.30% of the population were below the poverty line, including 20.80% of those under age 18 and 16.20% of those age 65 or over."

How could it not be motivation for staying?

Maybe she doesn't put as much value into money as you do.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
For real? I'm surprised I haven't read about him in any articles. I wonder what his take is on all this. This is getting juicier by the moment.

from CBS News

The judge also told all five of the clerk's deputies, including her son, Nathan Davis, that they are free to issue licenses to all applicants while Davis is held in contempt, but would also face fines or jail if they refuse to comply. He told them to meet with lawyers briefly and consider their fates before returning to his courtroom later Thursday to reveal their decisions.

Eyeron

Some of these tweets. Jesus. Mike Huckabee is so incredibly backwards and dense. It's amazing that he's made it this far in life. Jackass.

good bye asshole

I3VKdvs.jpg

Dali

BAM. Did not see that coming. Sweet victory. She was practicing pure discrimination in the name of the law

Edit: All those pro-Kim Davis signs and then, "KIM DAVIS, FUCK YOU". Hahaha
Looks like a mixture. I see rainbow shirts and a sign that says "small town not small mind."

kinggroin

Banned
I don't think she's an asshole or whatever else (she should have quit if the work conflicts with personal convictions), but she done fucked up either ways. She also better not be pulling the Christianity/catholic card cause even the big dog upstairs ain't trying to hear you if you break the laws set by the governing body.

*ahem*

Romans 13:1-5 ESV / 176 helpful votes

Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment. For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad. Would you have no fear of the one who is in authority? Then do what is good, and you will receive his approval, for he is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God's wrath on the wrongdoer. Therefore one must be in subjection, not only to avoid God's wrath but also for the sake of conscience.

Titus 3:1 ESV / 108 helpful votes

Remind them to be submissive to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready for every good work,

Romans 2:13 ESV / 96 helpful votes

For it is not the hearers of the law who are righteous before God, but the doers of the law who will be justified.

1 Peter 2:13-17 ESV / 61 helpful votes

Be subject for the Lord's sake to every human institution, whether it be to the emperor as supreme, or to governors as sent by him to punish those who do evil and to praise those who do good. For this is the will of God, that by doing good you should put to silence the ignorance of foolish people. Live as people who are free, not using your freedom as a cover-up for evil, but living as servants of God. Honor everyone. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the emperor.

John 14:21 ESV / 40 helpful votes

Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me. And he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him.”

Galatians 3:21 ESV / 27 helpful votes

Is the law then contrary to the promises of God? Certainly not! For if a law had been given that could give life, then righteousness would indeed be by the law.

Galatians 3:11 ESV / 22 helpful votes

Now it is evident that no one is justified before God by the law, for “The righteous shall live by faith.”

Luke 20:25 ESV / 20 helpful votes

He said to them, “Then render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's.”

HUELEN10

But did the couple end up getting a license or will they need to wait for a new employee to get appointed, or what?

Brashnir

This really happened? It is so weird to read this as someone from europe that this could happen.

It's complicated. A lot of social conservatives held out for 100 years against the party of Abraham Lincoln, voting Democrat until LBJ passed the civil rights act in 1965, which gave them a reason to hate the Democrats and align with the party that fell more in line with their beliefs in other areas.

When signing the bill, it's been said that Johnson told an aide, "We have lost the south for a generation."

GJS

The article says she stopped issuing marriage licences to all couples in June, not just same sex couples, so how can she be jailed in contempt over specifically not issuing licences to same sex couples?

The article says she stopped issuing marriage licences to all couples in June, not just same sex couples, so how can she be jailed in contempt over this?

Because it's her job as an elected official to obey federal law and serve the public without malice or judgement.

The article says she stopped issuing marriage licences to all couples in June, not just same sex couples, so how can she be jailed in contempt over this?

Because her job is to issue marriage licenses.

You are elected to do a job. You choose not to do it. You should be fired/impeached/jailed.

Any other questions?

HUELEN10

Looks like we'll know if she cracks soon
I don't have much respect at all for this lady, like none, but if she cracks now, I would lose even more respect for her, because it would mean she is not only a bigot and a fanatical, and someone who ignores the conditions of their employment and abuses their rights and makes up rights that don't even exist, but that she can't even stand by those bigoted beliefs, and has done nothing but waste everyone's time.

If that makes any sense. Hard to put it into words. I mean, if you made a noose for yourself willingly and know you can't untie it, don't try to desperately wriggle out at the last moment.

Arkeband

Banned
The article says she stopped issuing marriage licences to all couples in June, not just same sex couples, so how can she be jailed in contempt over specifically not issuing licences to same sex couples?

Oh ok, she's just holding the entire community hostage, that's totally different and not contempt at all!

/s

C.Dark.DN

Banned
This is contradictory:
#KimDavis 5 of the 6 Rowan County clerks will comply with judge. Judge says start issuing them Friday & that *could* end her contempt.
#KimDavis:Judge says she should not be released from custody even if deputies issue a license. Says it's rewarding her for bad behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom