• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From Tupac to Rosa Parks: KY county clerk Kim Davis says "Only God can judge me now"

Status
Not open for further replies.
BvYPTJf.gif

Don't let the cell door hit ya where the good Lord split ya!

God I miss Ari Gold.

Also, give unto Caesar what is Caesar's or something.

Oh, gosh. Couldn't the judge use judiciary discretion to just have her suspended from her job, instead of turning her into a martyr for conservatives? I can't wait till "this poor woman" becomes the next Joe the Plumber at the GOP debates...

I don't think this would be a winning strategy nationally. Let them rally behind her.

CDX

Good.

Comply or get out. Sounds good to me.

Ryland Barton ‏@RylandKY 11m11 minutes ago
Judge Bunning said that he wasn't convinced fines would have compelled Rowan County clerk Kim Davis comply with order to issue licenses

Fines in my opinion would normally be a suitable punishment.

But in this era of GoFundMe and similar websites, fines have now become no punishment at all.

She's an elected official, so she can't be fired.

So, yep. Jail seems like an appropriate punishment, and really the only option left to be a punishment at all.

Holy crap. Was not expecting. However, if you're going to defy the entire judicial system (including orders from SCOTUS) I guess you can't be any deeper in contempt than that and there do have to be consequences. It's very rare for someone to be in direct contempt vs SCOTUS. You literally cannot be any less obedient than that in this country. Whatever. Let her rot.

You can be a conservative wing-nut monster and still vote democrat.

I mean... she's probably pro-union. Other than that, she probably doesn't have much in common with the Democratic party. Dems' pro-union stance is the one area where they sell their souls the most, so no surprise.

And, I think don't think even Christians can say for certain Paul speaks for God. So, why quote Romans? Might as well quote Dante's Inferno and The Book of Latter Day Saints.

Clockwork

Where is this narrative coming from that she cares about the money? The position has been in her family for nearly half a century.

It's obviously not the only reason, but you don't need it spelled out to infer that it plays a part.

Rowan County, KY:

"The median income for a household in the county was $33,081. Males had a median income of $26,777 versus $20,104 for females. The per capita income for the county was $13,888. About 15.90% of families and 21.30% of the population were below the poverty line, including 20.80% of those under age 18 and 16.20% of those age 65 or over."

How could it not be motivation for staying?

Let's not kid ourselves. I doubt she votes Democrat outside of their local elections.

When I was a kid, Kentucky was very solidly Democratic territory. The Republican party did well to rebrand themselves in such a way that it fucks with Evangelicals. It's a total Red State now, but in some of the more populous counties (Rowan County is probably a bit more sophisticated than I'm sure people who have never been there are imagining, although it's not what I would call an urban area), Dems still hold almost all local political power.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Is this what we've come to? Jailing people for their beliefs?
Since when did being a truthful christian become a lawful offense?

Edit: /s

Edit #2: Whatever happened to Separation of Church and State though? State stays out of peoples religion, religion stays out of the state.

stufte

Edit: /s

There should be a special jail for every religious person in this country. JAIL THEM ALL!

also /s

soleil

Banned
Using this logic, I practice a religion where I am the only follower, and only I am allowed to follow it, and the religion states that any cash that I can take is mine. Therefore, I can go around taking money out of people's hands and if I get sent to jail for stealing money, then I'm being jailed for my beliefs.

Link

The Autumn Wind
When I was a kid, Kentucky was very solidly Democratic territory. The Republican party did well to rebrand themselves in such a way that it fucks with Evangelicals. It's a total Red State now, but in some of the more populous counties (Rowan County is probably a bit more sophisticated than I'm sure people who have never been there are imagining, although it's not what I would call an urban area), Dems still hold almost all local political power.
I can believe that, but nothing you said refutes my statement.

What I find insufferable is that every argument justifying Kim Davis's actions boils down to maintaining a "good conscience."

What is it that you're really doing? You've devoted yourself to a belief system that promises a conveniently vague paradise of "eternal life and peace" in heaven in lieu of an eternity of "damnation" in hell.

It's a classic reward system. Follow this antiquated set of rules and place your faith in a mercurial, capricious, malevolent, apparently loving, and supposedly just, paradoxical supreme being (depending on the text) in order to receive a reward.

Never mind the logical fallacies littered throughout, overwhelming scientific evidence that counters things that apparently happened per a text that's been passed around and reinterpreted a seemingly countless number of times, and the parables full of structures and character archetypes from the mythologies of other cultures that are obviously not meant to be taken literally.

Everything I've read in favor of Davis uses the Just-World Fallacy and Cherry Picking as the basis of its argument.

Bigotry is bigotry. You've the right to believe in whatever you choose, but you don't have the right to violate the rights of others.

I attended various Baptist churches in my youth and have extensively read The Bible (or rather several of the many versions of it). I don't dislike religion and the people who choose to believe in it, but I do dislike what it tends to engender: sanctimony, hypocrisy, bigotry, and officiousness.

The law is the law and it must be followed. Davis has no ground to stand on.

She just wanted the self righteous glory of being a martyr. Any reasonable person in her position would've just stepped down if the fear of eternal damnation was preventing them from doing their work. I could at least have some respect for someone that chose to back away and let other people step in, but this lady wanted to have her cake and eat it, too. I bet the rest of the office would be glad to see her gone.

She just wanted the self righteous glory of being a martyr. Any reasonable person in her position would've just stepped down if the fear of eternal damnation was preventing them from doing their work. I could at least have some respect for someone that chose to back away and let other people step in, but this lady wanted to have her cake and eat it, too. I bet the rest of the office would be glad to see her gone.

Actually a lady in her office said she will continue the cause. They all want the spotlight and book deal too.

yup. for example my original town which neighbors the county Kim is representing had this written a couple of years ago.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/3151539

dan2026

She should have to make amends for her bigotry with community service in the gay community for at least 10 years.

Brashnir

Kentucky, along with the rest of the south, went from blue to red the day LBJ signed the Civil Rights Act.

Nokterian

This really happened? It is so weird to read this as someone from europe that this could happen.

Guys, I'm 10 minutes away from this building. Should I go and hold up a "Kim Davis Just Shot Herself in the Foot" sign?

mansw.gif

Grym

So.....How long you think she will hold out?

http://www.kentucky.com/welcome_page/?shf=/2015/09/03/4018514_federal-judge-jails-rowan-county.html said:
Davis, 49, began a four-year term as county clerk on Jan. 5. Only the Kentucky General Assembly is authorized to remove her from office before her term expires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom