• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From Tupac to Rosa Parks: KY county clerk Kim Davis says "Only God can judge me now"

Status
Not open for further replies.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I'm not sure there are grounds to hold him in contempt. And, even if there perhaps are, I don't think it would serve justice in any way to do so.
I'm pretty sure there are. The whole point was for the 6 deputies to go to jail for not doing their job or agree. 5 did.

If she doesn't consent can the deputies issue licences?
They can but it might put the license in limbo. The judge said to marry there at their own risk.

redlegs87

#KimDavis: Applicants marrying at their own risk means that the license might not be valid without her signature.

Even in jail she is gumming up the works. FFS!

Grym

#KimDavis: While she won't authorize deputies it may put license in legal limbo. Judge says applicants might have to marry at their own risk

#KimDavis: Applicants marrying at their own risk means that the license might not be valid without her signature.

#KimDavis: She will be held in the Carter County Jail until further notice, in other words, until she complies

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I sincerely wish god was real and would visit this dumb woman in her cell tonight.

And what do you think God would say?

Do you think God would explain and demonstrate to her that although we appear to be individuals we are in fact different facets of the the collective whole that are all moving at different speeds towards the godhead.

B33

Banned
And what do you think God would say?
Old Testament God would inflict a plague or maybe tell Davis to remain in jail as an example for fellow believers to follow or something else inexplicably arbitrary and didactic.

New Testament God wouldn't show up.

I'm pretty sure there are. The whole point was for the 6 deputies to go to jail for not doing their job or agree. 5 did.

As long as the having the 5 that agree means that people wanting a license will not be prevented from doing so then the situation potentially starts hitting into state RFRA territory in regards to his willingness to issue them personally.

I wonder where the Marshalls are gonna keep her. vas let's me you and Andy do something illegal and get thrown in jail with her. let's take GAF to her.

How much jail time does she get?

Until one of the following (or something similar) occurs:
1. She agrees to issue licenses.
2. She agrees to allow her deputies to issue licenses.
3. Something changes somewhere so that she either no longer has ability to issue (or not issue) licenses or she can no longer prevent them from being validly issued (Being stripped of power, being removed from her job, a law change about how licenses work, etc.).

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
There is a way out of this impasse.

Under Section 239 of the Constitution of Kentucky she will be immediately be deprived of office if she accepts a challenge of a duel with a deadly weapon.

I imagine she would accept such a challenge if it were worded so as to challenge her beliefs.

Anyone up for a challenge?

Arkeband

Banned
Do we have to put a PSA every 50 posts reminding drive-by posters that she's an elected official and she can't be fired? Why you guys do dis?

Hale-XF11

Can Kim Davis be impeached before her term is up?

I think someone mentioned in an earlier thread or maybe this one that the state assembly can impeach her. Not sure if that's true or not.

Don't be so sure, there's money to be had if she keeps going.

True enough, but I still don't think she can handle it. Friendly wager says she caves in less than 48 hours.

Dunlop

Only by the KY State Legislature (which is apparently unlikely due to the general KY stance on gay marriage)
Except this effectively blocks ALL marriage certificates,I imagine there will be pressure to fix this loophole

Realistically once she said she's serve and become a martyr I assumed she would be in this for the longer haul. Her martyrdom looks really weak if she caves before a month or so.

GJS

Who are the other 2 county clerks out of the 120 who are also refusing to issue marriage licences to all couples?

The Governor has said he won't recall the general assembly early over the 3 county clerks not issuing marriage certificates either due to the cost involved, when there are 117 other clerks issuing licences.

The part that's truly bullshit is when she said she did not envision having to make this choice when she was elected.

She took office in January of 2015 when the writing was well on the wall at that point.

Grym

Except this effectively blocks ALL marriage certificates,I imagine there will be pressure to fix this loophole

true. though rather than impeach her they may choose another workaround. The deputy clerks will be issuing licenses but their actual legality is now in question without her signature or approval. The legislature could enact something to ensure their legality rather than impeach someone they or their constituents support or something like that.

CDX

Jail? Just fire her backwards ass and call it a day guys.

She's an elected official. Elected officials can't just be fired.

Her supporters being eager to set up a GoFundMe page or something similar, is the reason why she's not being fined $$$.

So jail it is. Since she doesn't want to do her job she can either resign, and then she can leave jail. Or she can decide to do her job and let people get married, and then she can leave jail. She can leave jail whenever she wants to by doing one of those two things. It's up to her.

Or she can just sit in jail until she's removed from her position.

lednerg

Her lawyer says all she wants is for her name to be removed from the certificates. Can't they just do that so we can end all this bullshit?

Grym

Her lawyer says all she wants is for her name to be removed from the certificates. Can't they just do that so we can end all this bullshit?

Isn't that what they just tried to do? Allow approval for her deputies to sign the licenses instead. She did not grant approval for that...hence jail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom