• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From Tupac to Rosa Parks: KY county clerk Kim Davis says "Only God can judge me now"

Status
Not open for further replies.

lednerg

Isn't that what they just tried to do? Allow approval for her deputies to sign the licenses instead. She did not grant approval for that...hence jail.

Oh, that's rich. lol

Her lawyers must be pissed. That was the only thing that she had going for her.

GJS

Her lawyer says all she wants is for her name to be removed from the certificates. Can't they just do that so we can end all this bullshit?

The governor has said he won't recall the general assembly early to make statutory changes over 3 county clerks, when there are 117 others performing their job correctly.

Sobriquet

H2cBxfA.jpg

She's been hyper-religious for ~4 years

The governor has said he won't recall the general assembly early to make statutory changes over 3 county clerks, when there are 117 others performing their job correctly.

And he shouldn't, that's the right call. If she is a true woman of conviction she will resign and refuse to work for a government that has made a ruling against her religious convictions. She's a massive hypocrite though out for notoriety and the money that comes along with it.

GJS

I found the names of the other county clerks refusing to issue marriage licences.

Casey Davis of Casey County and Kay Schwartz of Whitley County.

I presume they will face a similar situation if they don't start issuing licences after today.

Sobriquet

I found the names of the other county clerks refusing to issue marriage licences.

I presume they will face a similar situation if they don't start issuing licences after today.

There are two? I think the judge said that if they don't comply, they're going to jail too, right?

She hasn't just been married 4 times. She had a child by her third husband, while still married to her first husband, divorced him and had the child while with her second husband, he adopted the children then she left him for her third husband, then she left him and is now married again.

So yeah, fuck her and her "morals". She's not a good christian she's just a bigot hiding behind religious intolerance to get her bigoted way.

This would be awesome because it would "water down" her martyrdom.

kadotsu

Banned
Can't wait for the post jail radio talk show tour and the ghost written book and the Super PAC and the primary endorsement speech.

Frodo

HAHAHAA! Came here for this gif.

How come it took so long?

On topic: I can't say I'm sorry for her. She had to be made an example, and I'm sure she had plenty of opportunities to change her mind, and yet she didn't, despite the fact that she can clearly ignore other rules on the bible, as she married four times already.

rpg_fan

I might not be devout, but I was raised Christian. I really don't remember Christ's teachings being about hating all the right people.

Keep her in jail.

Zoe

Uh... she's a hypocrite?

Sorry, my text doesn't really have to do with the pic. Just kind of an aside. All this for a religion that's relatively new to her.

Don't know if it's really hypocritical when she says that she's a born again.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
In God's eyes she's committing adultery every time she fucks someone other than her first husband. (He's still alive, right?)
"I've changed." doesn't erase willfully living in sin to this day.

Don't know if it's really hypocritical when she says that she's a born again.

And yet there are tons of people that will never forgive Michael Vick, a guy that has done everything he can to atone, from serving a debt to society, paying fines, becoming a spokesman for the Humane Society and speaking out against animal violence.

Short of getting into a time machine, there is nothing more he can do, yet you have people that refuse to acknowledge the steps he has taken (and maintained for the last 7 years btw).

So yeah, people don't have to acknowledge her being "born again" if they choose not to.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Uh... she's a hypocrite?

Sorry, my text doesn't really have to do with the pic. Just kind of an aside. All this for a religion that's relatively new to her.

Oh okay, there was another guy earlier who seemed to suggest that should be a magical reset button, but I'm not sure if he was being sarcastic or not.

oti

Banned
As right as this is (she's just wrong, no question about it) I'm also a bit afraid that it could be a tad much for a single person to be in the centre of this nation wide discussion. I hope she won't suffer any long-term illness out of this.

Damaniel

Banned
Fuck all the talk of martyrdom. She was a martyr the moment she stood her bigoted ass up and said she wouldn't issue those licenses, and the risk of becoming the darling of some right-wing inbred hicks is hardly a reason to let her have a pass.

Keep her in jail until she complies. She'll probably give up in a few days anyway once she realizes how much being in jail actually sucks.

As right as this is (she's just wrong, no question about it) I'm also a bit afraid that it could be a tad much for a single person to be in the centre of this nation wide discussion. I hope she won't suffer any long-term illness out of this.

She willingly put herself in the middle of this discussion as a result of her bigoted stubbornness. Until she does the right thing (and not the 'right' thing as she sees it) she deserves whatever she gets.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
In God's eyes she's committing adultery every time she fucks someone other than her first husband. (He's still alive, right?)
"I've changed." doesn't erase willfully living in sin to this day.
Is she Catholic?

Sai-kun

Banned

she did this to herself/. who gives a fuck, lol

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
true. though rather than impeach her they may choose another workaround. The deputy clerks will be issuing licenses but their actual legality is now in question without her signature or approval. The legislature could enact something to ensure their legality rather than impeach someone they or their constituents support or something like that.

It's been tweeted around that there's some doubt about the validity of marriage licenses issued without the approval of the clerk, and that couples getting married in the meantime "do so at their own risk".

I think that is untrue and misleadingly harmful.

Sure, it would be a problem if Kim Davis were still at her post, but KY legislation, specifically at 402.240 provides that

In the absence of the county clerk, or during a vacancy in the office, the county
judge/executive may issue the license and, in so doing, he shall perform the duties and
incur all the responsibilities of the clerk. The county judge/executive shall return a
memorandum thereof to the clerk, and the memorandum shall be recorded as if the
license had been issued by the clerk.

I take it to be obvious that "in the absence of the county clerk" would cover, for example, the county clerk being in jail.

So, there should be no legal grey areas for marriages in Rowan County starting from tomorrow.

oti

Banned
She willingly put herself in the middle of this discussion as a result of her bigoted stubbornness. Until she does the right thing (and not the 'right' thing as she sees it) she deserves whatever she gets.

she did this to herself/. who gives a fuck, lol

I know, she shouldn't get by unpunished I'm just saying there's a lot of pressure put on her right now that's all. She's wrong and hateful, I still don't want her to get a psychological illness out of this though.

I wouldn't give a shit if she did. Maybe some mental health treatment might do her some good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom