• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Front Mission 3 Remake - 26 Minutes of Demo Footage from TGS

So I've never played any Front Mission game, but upon watching this demo three questions came to mind:

1) Why are the animations so stiff and boring looking?
2) Why is there no music at all after the intro cinematic?
3) Was the original this way?

While I don't know the answer to the first two questions, watching gameplay from the original tells me that the answer to the third question is "No". Other than the models and backgrounds looking cleaner and having more detail, this new version seems inferior to the original in every other respect.

Last edited:

Needlecrash

I've seen the footage. After playing the Front Mission 3 on the PS1, seeing this was a disappointment. Animations are stiff, tapping sounds on the text, it just looks soulless, no music AT ALL PLAYING, it just looks cheap to me.

_Ex_

The best mech/SRPG series ever made.

With Front Mission I've beaten:

Front Mission SFC
Front Mission DS
Front Mission: Alternative PS1
Front Mission: Evolved 360
Front Mission: Gun Hazard SFC
Front Mission 2: Remake NS
Front Mission 3 PS1
Front Mission 4 PS2
Front Mission 5: Scars of the War PS2

Bet your ass I'll be on this one.

Labadal

Not impressed with how this looks.

I got 1st Remake, but nor 2nd Remake.

These guys aren't doing the series any favours.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I absolutely adored Front Mission 3.

I get that it's a departure from how the original game looked, but I'm into it - something I can't say for some of Forever Entertainment's other remakes. I've only just started on the remake of FM1, but I'm enjoying that a lot and I'm looking forward to finally getting to play FM2 in some form, and then revisiting this one.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
So I've never played any Front Mission game, but upon watching this demo three questions came to mind:

1) Why are the animations so stiff and boring looking?
2) Why is there no music at all after the intro cinematic?
3) Was the original this way?

While I don't know the answer to the first two questions, watching gameplay from the original tells me that the answer to the third question is "No". Other than the models and backgrounds looking cleaner and having more detail, this new version seems inferior to the original in every other respect.
I also find it very odd that the music isn’t playing. The whole OST sets the mood.

Gp1

They should really just include the originals with the remakes.

At least this time the graphics got bumped a little (shaders and effects) and the Wanzers don't glide weightlessly across the screen. The entire thing got a "heavy metal/clunky" vibe and it looks way better than the first 2 games.

Donald mac Ronald

Neo Member
Must have played this game a million times. I never finished 4 for some reason, but it had much better mechanics.
Maybe I should play 1 and 2 first; are they more basic than 3 gameplay wise?

dezzy8

The best mech/SRPG series ever made.

With Front Mission I've beaten:

Front Mission SFC
Front Mission DS
Front Mission: Alternative PS1
Front Mission: Evolved 360
Front Mission: Gun Hazard SFC
Front Mission 2: Remake NS
Front Mission 3 PS1
Front Mission 4 PS2
Front Mission 5: Scars of the War PS2

Bet your ass I'll be on this one.
You're not a REAL fan if you haven't played Evolved bro. /s

Shifty1897

Must have played this game a million times. I never finished 4 for some reason, but it had much better mechanics.
Maybe I should play 1 and 2 first; are they more basic than 3 gameplay wise?
1 and 2 play pretty differently from 3, 4, and 5. The difficulty is much higher and battles feel much more random than you would want a strategy game to feel IMO.
That's good, but the one I really want is FM5, the last mainline entry to not get an official localization.
I played a fan subbed version of 5 for several hours and thought it was incredible, to me it's the best in the series.

Naked Lunch

The only reason to get the first 2 remakes was for the official English translations.
Both remakes looked completely terrible - the originals' artstyle butchered.
And actually, in the end, the fan translations/hacks were arguably better than the official remakes in the first place. Sad.

This FM3 looks godawful. Completely wrong. Just stick with the original if able.

Utamaru1706

Neo Member
The battles is a HUGE step down from the original, IMHO, where the attacks feels weightless and lack of "oomph", which makes it really weird, especially when you have played the OG version.

Gp1

The only reason to get the first 2 remakes was for the official English translations.
And actually, in the end, the fan translations/hacks were arguably better than the official remakes in the first place. Sad.

This FM3 looks godawful. Completely wrong. Just stick with the original if able.

The fan translation of the second game is trash and incomplete. The remake still is the best way to play it.

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief and Nosiest Dildo Archeologist
Dude, I created this thread
Oh yeah, nevermind..

Uh Oh Oops GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

YeulEmeralda

Linux User

Iirc FM3 was never released in English.

Naked Lunch

The fan translation of the second game is trash and incomplete. The remake still is the best way to play it.
Ok ill concede on the unfinished translation of the second game - but not the first FM.
I forced my way thru the FM1 remake - then booted up the SNES fan translation directly after for a few chapters and the SNES game and translation is simply - better.
-
Beyond just the quality of the translation, there's scenes in the FM1 remake (when trying to get certain new characters to join) where entire lines of dialogue are skipped or omitted in comparison to the SNES original. Its just a poor job.

Any way you slice it - the team making these remakes has no clue how to translate the original FM artstyle to these modern consoles.
I dont even want to see FM5 butchered in this new style.
I didnt want to see their take of FM3 - well here we are - and it turned out even worse than I imagined.

Last edited:
Top Bottom