• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frostpunk 2 has sold over 350,000 copies, and the total estimated sales revenue has already covered the costs of producing and marketing the game

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
We are super happy to announce that we’ve already exceeded 350 000 copies of #Frostpunk 2 sold!

What’s more, the total estimated sales revenue has already covered the costs we spent on producing and marketing the game.

Big, big thank you to you all for your support! It (almost) melts our frozen-solid hearts. The work doesn’t stop here, we are continuously working on improving your experience with hotfixes and patches, and your feedback here is invaluable.

Flabagast

How is the first on PS5 ? I have never played a strategy game, isn't it too hard/ complex for a first entry into the genre ?

How is the first on PS5 ? I have never played a strategy game, isn't it too hard/ complex for a first entry into the genre ?
They're different games in a way. First one is more contained/personal about survival, kinda like an strategy/rpg, while the second is larger in scope, less personal, more micromanagement/survival than anything else, which is why it has a lot of mixed opinions on steam. But to answer your question, yes the first is pretty hard and you will probably fail your first attempts, but once you learn the ropes you should be fine.

sainraja

Good for them and it seems Game Pass didn't harm them or the sales.
If majority of the sales were on steam, where Game Pass isn't present, then yeah it's not going to. Aren't people on PC all about steam anyway? Epic has made some headway but based on what I read around here anyway, people aren't big fans of the Epic store and the MS store barely gets a mention.

Elog

Loved Frost Punk. So far Frost Punk 2 is good (but somewhat less in feeling than the first for me). Very happy for the developer that they are doing well. Two love projects that deserve all success they are getting!

Denton

If majority of the sales were on steam, where Game Pass isn't present, then yeah it's not going to. Aren't people on PC all about steam anyway? Epic has made some headway but based on what I read around here anyway, people aren't big fans of the Epic store and the MS store barely gets a mention.
Lot of people (millions) use gamepass PC. As long as I can get it for about 7 bucks a month, I find it worth it. And if a game is in gamepass then I obviously do not buy it, unless it is something I want in physical edition (like STALKER 2).

acm2000

$10m ish from steam plus however much MS threw at them for PC Game Pass, not bad, most stressful strategy game out there :messenger_grinning_sweat:

ahtlas7

Gold Member
Rarely does when it comes to steam. It may seem stupid, but ownership of the game, and all the stuff steam offers is far more attractive to consumers than renting it. At least to me it is.
Exactly this. I will buy a game when it hits the sweet spot in price even if I have to wait for sale before I pay a rental service. With Steam’s new family play it’s better than ever.

Last edited:

Comandr

I was beyond excited when this game was first announced. Curious how many of those were refunded after people realized that it’s nothing like the first game at all.

FP2 is a real step down for me. The original has a real sense of individuality, survival, hardship.

This steam review sums it up perfectly.

theYanek
15 reviews
POSTED: SEPTEMBER 22
DIRECT FROM STEAM
Frostpunk 2 - I loved the fresh approach to city-building in the first game and eagerly awaited the sequel. Unfortunately, after 2.5 hours of gameplay, my experience so far has been somewhat negative.

It feels like I'm just watching snow melt in slow motion.

Don’t get me wrong—I enjoy the setting and the concept of Pilgrims and Stalwarts as two opposing factions in the city, but the decision-making feels surreal. For example: "Build this and X will increase, Y will decrease, and the risk of disease will rise." From the perspective of a citizen, who in their right mind would make such a choice knowing these repercussions? As a detached player, not living in this world, I can make any decision I want because I’m just optimizing numbers—sorry, workforce. It’s all about managing X resources for Y results. But there's no emotional connection to anything. In the first game, you had to decide whether to send people to their deaths by freezing, trying to uncover coal from a mine, while being unable to keep them warm. Here, I’m just shoveling snow and clicking on hexes with icons hovering over them. There’s no sense of threat, no real feeling of survival.

The UI is dreadful—tasks are completed with no reminders, and don't even get me started on exploration... When it comes to council decisions, some folks want me to do X, but I can’t even minimize the screen to check whether it’s the right choice for my situation—or if I even understand what they’re asking for.

Ultimately, it feels like I’m just watching snow melt. I glance at the numbers, some of which are going down. I wait for "heatstamps" (whatever they are) to increase. I remove frost from icons on the map. I skip time to get more heatstamps. I build something to stop the numbers from dropping. The numbers go up slightly. Rinse and repeat. It's boring and utterly devoid of meaning. I spend most of the time watching districts and shiny lights go by. No people, no emotions, no fight for survival.

I hope that devs will change the UI and insert more humanity into this product with future updates.

Last edited:

Sethbacca

I have it on both PC and PS have a ton of fun with it regardless which version i'm playing. The controller mapping is good and it plays well. You can usually find it pretty cheap when they have their sales so I'd say go for it personally.

Top Bottom