• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FTL |OT| Stories of the Space Oregon Trail

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
It was working for me until I got hit by a boarding party, constant boarding drones, and 2 missile systems all at once

Lol, well that is barely the fault of your weapon systems then ;) Sometimes the random events can simply screw you over, no doubt.

Haunted

I DID IT!!!
on easy. shut up

So, missiles are essential, huh? My strategy for the three bosses was to have 2 different missile systems: the pegasus and the hermes. These were used to target the shields while I used burst blaster 3 to then go after the weapons. I had the drone that repaired the systems on the ship, and the anti-personel drone (which was essential). With this, the bosses were pretty easy.
Congrats! There's a lot of viable weapon configurations, you just need to get over a certain threshold of punishment you can dish out (and withstand). Whether that's with missiles, breach/bombs or ion cannons or even attacking drones, they all work.

It's even possible to beat the flagship (at least the first and second form) just by being aggressive with boarding and taking out their weapon systems that way. :D

Zaptruder

Banned
YES! Finally! Beat this thing on Normal. Feel like king of the world.

Last battle was desperate too - despite been fully shielded up, with a def drone mk 2 and hull repair drone, I was pushed thoroughly into the red, with fires blazing, O2 destroyed, everyone low on health, long time crew members dying.

The one saving grace is that of everything that was been blown up left and right, the weapons room was been left untouched, allowing me to keep up a steady stream of damage on the flagship.

God... this is really my GoTY - which is pretty amazing given how many games I've managed to enjoy this year.

sikkinixx

Best run I had ever had, 3 burst lasers crushing everything, repair drones, full shields, almost full engines, all my crew had the double stars, fought off invading Mantis parties FOUR times throughout the journey. Beat boss stage one easily. Boss stage two? Fuuuck that was a lot of drones and the boarding and then huge fire and one mistake in micro'ing my guys around.... toast.

*sigh*

the next three games after I died in sector 2 or 3 :( If the Engi cruiser had a better weapon than that damn ion ray I would use it more. Starting or getting drones really early helps a lot, especially repair ones. I find I stick with the Kestral since it's the easiest one to vent out all the fires that happen in this game OR to vent off the O2 to kill intruders.

Unlocking ships is really fucking hard since so many of them are pure luck.

KDR_11k

Both crystal layouts are great for venting, I think that's on purpose since crystals are vacuum-resistant.

I like the Ion II the most out of all the starting weapons, keep it autofiring on the shields and your drone gets to blast everything to bits. Yes, you should try to get more weapons but the Ion II remains useful even in the final battle.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
I made it to sector 8 and i was surprised at how the boss battle was handled, i went straight to the boss and defeated him....
only to be told i had to defeat him one more time
I freaked out and started to retreat when i should have probably just waited on the same spot, i got killed by random ship on my way back. Fuck you FTL! I had an extremely good run too, god dammit.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I made it to sector 8 and i was surprised at how the boss battle was handled, i went straight to the boss and defeated him....
only to be told i had to defeat him one more time
I freaked out and started to retreat when i should have probably just waited on the same spot, i got killed by random ship on my way back. Fuck you FTL! I had an extremely good run too, god dammit.

Wait until you find out
you have to fight him a third time
. I agree, fuck you FTL.

megalowho

All I wanted to do was play Borderlands 2 and Torchlight II over the weekend, yet FTL has happily sucked most of my gaming hours away. Just unlocked the stealth ship after a multi part Engi sidequest, so awesome. Still feels like the unlock system is a bit too brutal, but the challenge is appreciated so long as carrots like that keep dropping every so often. Great game.

sikkinixx

I really hope they end up putting out a mode where you can just explore endlessly without the pursuit or end game. Just keep notching up the difficulty. I've gotten to Sector 8 a bunch of times but always die at the boss.

That and make the ships a bit easier to get :( Or allow a mode to customize your ship at the start.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I really hope they end up putting out a mode where you can just explore endlessly without the pursuit or end game. Just keep notching up the difficulty. I've gotten to Sector 8 a bunch of times but always die at the boss.

That and make the ships a bit easier to get :( Or allow a mode to customize your ship at the start.

There is a mod that deactivates the pursuit, effectively making the game much, much easier, since you can earn more scrap by visiting all beacons.

Shadybiz

I just learned that even if you have great shields, your crappy doors will get you killed by mantis people. This is fun.

Ominym

Banned
This game is so much fun, but I'll be damned it's hard. I have the great ability to make it to the last sector, but the dreadnaught wipes me out every time. I was also one step away from unlocking the
Crystal ship
but was thwarted when I couldn't enter the rock people sector. Gah!

Mindlog

I need a timed ironman mode.
No saves and your score is based on completion time. Pausing does not pause the timer.

So far my lowest victory run had a score of just over 3100.

sikkinixx

I wish I had bought from the website instead of from Steam directly. I don't mind the steam version on my PC but on my laptop not having to run Steam would be nice.

Mindlog

Fuck.
Saw a video of someone using a stealth ship with no shields to try and beat the game. He almost made it even though I thought I was a much better player :p

Every time I take my stealth ship on normal I'm relentlessly attacked by drone ships.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Shame that he made the game have the pursuit and an end... it would have been so much better as just an endless space sim, without being linear.

Great game, but it really hurts the overall replay-ability long-term with it honestly being so short.

You kind of get attached to your crew, and then it's over.. and yeah.. that sucks.

Mindlog

Different strokes. I'd find the game way too easy if I could collect all the scrap from every sector :p

Slug Ship Achievements.
Who has the no-sensors full view?
The nebula achievement is pretty self-explanatory. The beam one might take a bit of wrangling, but I can manage eventually. How do you get the sensors one? Do I have to teleport my squishy slugs to an enemy ship?

I am just missing Slug B and of course Unknown.
I've beat the game at least 4 times with an Unknown Crewman.

Zaptruder

Banned
Shame that he made the game have the pursuit and an end... it would have been so much better as just an endless space sim, without being linear.

Great game, but it really hurts the overall replay-ability long-term with it honestly being so short.

You kind of get attached to your crew, and then it's over.. and yeah.. that sucks.

What you say is the complete opposite of the truth.

The game works as well as it does because it finishes one way or another in less than four hours.

You gain a sense of progress, but you're not so invested in each game that losing it will kill the game.

So as a result, each game is played more for the journey than the end. Of course everyone wants to win. It's what people love to do. But as evidenced by Jintor and Pyrion's Flax guide... you don't have to win this game to love the shit out of it.

For me, even after beating this game multiple times, I just like to play through again anyway! And yes, each time, each new ship has a new story of its own.

Sometimes, I'll play through, and shit will just fall into my lap, and I'll be, yes motherfucker, take that. Then BAM, take this 3 missile ship with drones motherfucker. Oh you can't? You die. Other times, I'll be limping along the whole way, but just make it through to the end anyway; constantly putting one fire out after another, never quite going the way you'd like the upgrades to go.

What would be nice is if there was a captain's log journal system recording your play throughs.

marrec

Banned
So I bought my SO this game and the first words out of her mouth were:

"Fuck this game."

Then she played for the next 2 hours.

Excuse the probable faq but new to the game.

In each of my first three runs I was invited to investigate a space station with signs of life. Each time there was a disease that wiped everybody out and I lose a crew member.

Is the outcome from events like that random and I have been unlucky or if I see that text should I always drive on by?

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Different strokes. I'd find the game way too easy if I could collect all the scrap from every sector :p

They'd have to balance it differently, yes.

What you say is the complete opposite of the truth.

The game works as well as it does because it finishes one way or another in less than four hours.

You gain a sense of progress, but you're not so invested in each game that losing it will kill the game.

So as a result, each game is played more for the journey than the end. Of course everyone wants to win. It's what people love to do. But as evidenced by Jintor and Pyrion's Flax guide... you don't have to win this game to love the shit out of it.

For me, even after beating this game multiple times, I just like to play through again anyway! And yes, each time, each new ship has a new story of its own.

Sometimes, I'll play through, and shit will just fall into my lap, and I'll be, yes motherfucker, take that. Then BAM, take this 3 missile ship with drones motherfucker. Oh you can't? You die. Other times, I'll be limping along the whole way, but just make it through to the end anyway; constantly putting one fire out after another, never quite going the way you'd like the upgrades to go.

What would be nice is if there was a captain's log journal system recording your play throughs.

The game is an hour long, no where near 4hrs for a play-through.

It's a fun game, but again.. just give me an endless mode when it's done... or shit at least a different couple scenarios... the end is just.. well.. anti-climatic and seems forced.

I mean yeah, right now you want to keep playing.. but next week? What's left to draw you back?

Zaptruder

Banned
They'd have to balance it differently, yes.

It's a fun game, but again.. just give me an endless mode when it's done... or shit at least a different couple scenarios... the end is just.. well.. anti-climatic and seems forced.

I mean yeah, right now you want to keep playing.. but next week? What's left to draw you back?

4 hours or less.

But the point is - the meta structure of the game works in favour of its content - there's not actually a whole lot of unique content there...

But because the game doesn't give you the ability to max everything out all the time (or even most of the time), you're always left wanting - it's stretching out the value of its content.. but in a good way.

In a traditional see all, do all game, there's always the problem of a content tread mill - what do you do once you become uber powerful, and you're trolling all the content? You move on.

Toma

Yeah no. This game is not even close to being only 1 hour long. I can see 2 hours, but even that is stretching it. 2-3 hours on average maybe for a full playthrough (including getting enough stuff to beat the boss). Especially with a general statement about the length of the game. I'd bet that most players have not managed to beat this game in 60 minutes, if its possible at all.

And whats left are the achievements and the highscore (as any other Roguelike). And if we are super lucky maybe even added content at some point in the near future.

Bah, I've gone through the engi homeworlds 3 times now and I can't get the damn quest to pop.

Just went through slug and rock homeworlds this game had the proper crew on board, couldn't get them to pop either.

I've had the crystal dude three times, seen the rock homeworld once, couldn't get the thing to pop.

I can't unlock ships for the life of me. Still rolling, Engi (A+B), Zoltan, Kestral (A+B), Federation cruiser (A+B)

I really want the stealth ship and the mantis ship :(.

Also, didn' know you could get the Engi Medibot dispersal on other ships. That's been a big help on my boarding focussed Federation cruiser.

In each of my first three runs I was invited to investigate a space station with signs of life. Each time there was a disease that wiped everybody out and I lose a crew member.

Is the outcome from events like that random and I have been unlucky or if I see that text should I always drive on by?

I tend to avoid the distress signals where you have to send your crew somewhere, because they seem to have a higher rate of going wrong than others and the price is much worse than just losing some hull or something. But I have gotten different outcomes for some of them.

Ramma2

Do you guys clear as many points in each sector before moving on, or do you take the quickest route through each one?

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Bah, I've gone through the engi homeworlds 3 times now and I can't get the damn quest to pop.

Just went through slug and rock homeworlds this game had the proper crew on board, couldn't get them to pop either.

I've had the crystal dude three times, seen the rock homeworld once, couldn't get the thing to pop.

I can't unlock ships for the life of me. Still rolling, Engi (A+B), Zoltan, Kestral (A+B), Federation cruiser (A+B)

I really want the stealth ship and the mantis ship :(.

Also, didn' know you could get the Engi Medibot dispersal on other ships. That's been a big help on my boarding focussed Federation cruiser.

I've been working on unlocking ships for days and I still need 3 of them. Knowing how to get them is like 10% of the battle. The other 90% is all sheer luck.

As for the stealth ship, if I could give you mine, believe me I would. I can't tell if it hates me more than I hate it.

I recently unlocked and have been trying to roll around in the rock cruiser and boy I really don't like it one bit. I hatehatehate reliance on missiles in any capacity and go out of my way to try and never use them even when present aside from getting to enemy shields. Also the rock people are the most annoying just to try and move around the ship. And why is the medbay so far away!! ARGH. I have a feeling I'll really like the B-type a lot more but the achievements to get it have totally eluded me.

Speaking of achievements, can anybody tell me how to get the first achievement in the stealth ship? I dunno if I'm just reading the wording wrong but I can't seem to figure it out. Does it mean that you need to have full health, cloak and then destroy an enemy ship while cloaked in one salvo?

LilZippa

This game ate my whole weekend. I can see this being stuffed into my games of forever.

My last game last night I survived three sectors with one crew member and died from a fire outbreak that I couldn't vent out quickly enough. I just kept trying to get another crew member, but no shops had them. I encountered a crazy man who had crash landed and brought him up to the ship where he made a subsystem explode.

Do you guys clear as many points in each sector before moving on, or do you take the quickest route through each one?

Yup, I even try to hit up nebula's because it slows the fleet down and I can grab more loot.

This game ate my whole weekend. I can see this being stuffed into my games of forever.

My last game last night I survived three sectors with one crew member and died from a fire outbreak that I couldn't vent out quickly enough. I just kept trying to get another crew member, but no shops had them. I encountered a crazy man who had crash landed and brought him up to the ship where he made a subsystem explode.

The WTF is on the front page captures it perfectly. "I went in to try it out for a bit, and I accidently 5 hours." That's pretty much FTL in a nutshell.

fallout

I think it benefits from the focus. I'm happy that they went with this design and really stuck to it, rather than trying to open it up too much. If the game were as you described, I'd likely get bored.

Pfft. Just click "Restart" and your starting crew is restored! :)

8bit

Knows the Score
Finally got to the end sector, didn't realise I had to go to the enemy to initiate the fight. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg.

Mindlog

Speaking of achievements, can anybody tell me how to get the first achievement in the stealth ship? I dunno if I'm just reading the wording wrong but I can't seem to figure it out. Does it mean that you need to have full health, cloak and then destroy an enemy ship while cloaked in one salvo?
Yes. It's cloak, fire everything, dead enemy.
I really like the cloak ship. It's tough and totally dependent on not running into drones before you are ready. I've beaten easy with it and gotten to the boss on normal.

Managed to unlock Slug B. The only thing missing is the unknown ship.

Haunted

I love boarding ships. Man, I want that Mantis cruiser so bad.

Also, I just realised that you can send out a distress signal yourself if you're out of fuel. Awesome little touch.

As many as the fuel allows without getting caught. The risk is definitely worth it and if a fight is too tough, you can usually escape for taking too much damage.

If you rush through the sectors on the shortest route every time, I don't see how you could defeat the flagship.

I'd have this shit wrapped up if I hadn't forgetton to turn off my offsprey laser on the final boss, losing my two uber boarders, so when stage 3 of the boss rolled around I was short staffed and got ruined.

I love this fucking game.

Ramma2

I love boarding ships. Man, I want that Mantis cruiser so bad.

Also, I just realised that you can send out a distress signal yourself if you're out of fuel. Awesome little touch.

As many as the fuel allows without getting caught. The risk is definitely worth it and if a fight is too tough, you can usually escape for taking too much damage.

If you rush through the sectors on the shortest route every time, I don't see how you could defeat the flagship.

That's what I've been doing, shortest route possible! Made it to the flagship for the first time last night and won the first round, lost in the second.

Looks like I'm due for a change in strategy.

Borman

The game was suppose to have an endless mode after you beat the final boss (although I think you would just continue from them). It was disabled in the beta version though, so hopefully it is added again if it isn't there yet.

It's luck based, but I'd say with that specific event the result you got is very common. The "good outcome" seems fairly rare.

Top Bottom