• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FTL |OT| Stories of the Space Oregon Trail

Mindlog

Well, the galaxy is safe from the rebel scourge, thanks to the mighty Crushmogrofier and her valiant crew. I was using the Zoltan Cruiser and found that a combo of the Halberd Beam, the Leto missile and the Burst Laser Mk 3 worked stunningly. Use the laser and missile to drop shields, use the Beam to do as much damage as possible. I finally realized that if I time it right, I don't have to worry about the shields at all when using the beam, which makes it quite formidable.

Hopefully now the addiction can subside. Although there is a new ship to try out and plenty of others to unlock!

Well worth 9 bucks. Definitely my PC GOTY.
Yeah the beams are lethal. It's obvious after-the-fact, but when taking down shields follow the burst up by starting a beam from the shield room. This will help keep the shields down and the beam doing damage.

Y7Fwh.png

Jintor

I don't understand, objectively Kestral B is way better than Kestral A but I die every single time with a way lower score

lamesauce

Haunted

Yeah the beams are lethal. It's obvious after-the-fact, but when taking down shields follow the burst up by starting a beam from the shield room. This will help keep the shields down and the beam doing damage.

Y7Fwh.png
"Aw yeah, let's board these motherfuckers"
"OH SHI-"

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I don't understand, objectively Kestral B is way better than Kestral A but I die every single time with a way lower score

lamesauce

Kestrel B definitely works better for me. Have all records with that ship in my savegame, haha.

Man

The Rebel Flagship might be tough but it's no match to The Event Horizon and it's hellish crew! FTL bested on Normal!

FTL_Normal_Victory_zpsc894d924.jpg

Fully upgraded(4x) shield penetrating Beam weapon (native to the spacecraft) firing every 20 seconds.
2x Mark 2 Burst lasers (six laser volleys every twelve seconds).
Heavy ION cannon.
Boarding droid and Hull repair droid!
Fully upgraded shield.
Fully upgraded engines.
Decent crew (no Mantis though).

Last encounter was actually easier on Normal than Easy thanks to the crazy ship I managed to build. Final score: 4547
Named two crew members Engine and Shield to keep things simple heh.

The Rebel Flagship might be tough but it's no match to The Event Horizon and it's hellish crew! FTL bested on Normal!

FTL_Normal_Victory_zpsc894d924.jpg

Fully upgraded(4x) shield penetrating Beam weapon (native to the spacecraft) firing every 20 seconds.
2x Mark 2 Burst lasers (six laser volleys every twelve seconds).
Heavy ION cannon.
Boarding droid and Hull repair droid!
Fully upgraded shield.
Fully upgraded engines.
Decent crew (no Mantis though).

Last encounter was actually easier on Normal than Easy thanks to the crazy ship I managed to build. Final score: 4547
Named two crew members Engine and Shield to keep things simple heh.

Wow, that is a beastly ship.

I never see ion cannons for sale :(

Man

I looted that weapon. It seems relatively rare in stores.

Edit: Also, I'm quite convinced that getting boarding droid(s) is a better upgrade than a teleporter. You can get all other droid models and you're not risking any crew. Not the same tactical control but it's nice just clicking a button and it makes a breach in the enemy hull and creates havok, all automatically.

Wait, how many "bosses" are there? I got to the last sector where I had to stop an assault on the base. I destroyed the first ship, but then there was another one, this time with a crap load of drones, and it killed me in seconds. I was so excited that I thought I won. i hate and love this game.

Man

Regarding bosses, there are
three stages / encounters with the same rebel flagship where it evolves slightly each time.

HAHA, DIE REBEL SCUM.

Stage 2 you were a bitch, but I beatcha ;)

Beaten on normal, engi ship. Strategy early on was to pump defense immediately, that gave me enough head room to be awesome later on. Got a couple of super lucky breaks (thanks for the halberd beam in exchange for two fuel!) I heart you Ion mark 2.

Stage 2 on the boss nearly beat me. Thank you crystal guy, you were all that saved me from those boarding drones That was just so fucking intense.

4423 final score.

Holy shit it's 3 AM, I was just planning to play half an hour at midnight :(

KDR_11k

Edit: Also, I'm quite convinced that getting boarding droid(s) is a better upgrade than a teleporter. You can get all other droid models and you're not risking any crew. Not the same tactical control but it's nice just clicking a button and it makes a breach in the enemy hull and creates havok, all automatically.

Won't do all that much against a ship with plenty of crew and a medbay, unlike boarding with crystals.

I finally made it to the final boss. Could not penetrate and bring down the basterds shield long enough to do any damage. START OVER. Better weapons this time.

Haunted

Wait, how many "bosses" are there? I got to the last sector where I had to stop an assault on the base. I destroyed the first ship, but then there was another one, this time with a crap load of drones, and it killed me in seconds. I was so excited that I thought I won. i hate and love this game.
Well, in your first encounter you destroy the left wing of the flagship and it manages to slip away. You're still fighting the same ship the next time, but damaged.

The flagship has
three forms.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Just realized how important the pause button is, and also the weapons are hotkeyed.. That should make my next playthrough a little better.

Sucks getting boarded early on when you have no defense against it.. it's like insta-death.

Just realized how important the pause button is, and also the weapons are hotkeyed.. That should make my next playthrough a little better.

Sucks getting boarded early on when you have no defense against it.. it's like insta-death.

Depending on what weapons you're using, it's generally best to launch them all simultaneously.

Makonero

Upgrade your doors. Deplete oxygen if possible. Make sure to swap out combatants and heal them so that you can constantly deal damage. I've not had problems with early boarding since I first started the game.

UPDATE: Beat the game for a second time, with the Federation cruiser. I literally had one hitpoint left as I beat the boss. I saw my ship fall apart just after the flagship did. There should totally be an achievement for being destroyed just as you beat him!

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Giving up on trying to beat the game for the moment. Just playing for yuks and trying to unlock ships. Somehow keep messing those quests up too even with guides. So much randomness.

Zolton B ship is pretty great but I really wanna get the Mantis ship so I can get at that
4-man teleport room
!

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
why isn't this game on iOS or Android yet? one of the few times when i think a game like this would work better with a touch screen.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
why isn't this game on iOS or Android yet? one of the few times when i think a game like this would work better with a touch screen.
Probably because even on a big ass computer monitor all my little space men are super tiny.

Screw a touch screen, I wish there were more hotkeys.

KDR_11k

Zolton B ship is pretty great but I really wanna get the Mantis ship so I can get at that
4-man teleport room
!

You mean Mantis B? I haven't got that one yet but the Mantis A has only a 2 man teleport room. The "unknown" B also has a 4 man teleport.

Mindlog

Stealth ship is kicking my ass.
It sucks to finally be trucking along doing great when a lucky enemy shot hits your Glaive right before it's ready to fire.

Makonero

I tried. It's not necessarily that you're bad, it's just that we are not compatible. I gave it my all, but this relationship is doomed.

Drones, we're breaking up. (well, mostly you, since you're mechanical and all)

sangreal

How did you get a surrender option when boarding? Did you not stop shooting?

Don't remember the encounter too well, but there are plenty of times I keep shooting after boarding to take out the medbay for example. Sometimes just to knock down their crew health too. Just have to be careful to stop before the hull gets too low

Agkel

This! Playing on my Galaxy Note or even my Samsung S2 would be godly! #FTLAllDayEveryDay

Have the devs talked about any future plans for the game, add ons, big changes or anything like that?

Mindlog

The scoring system is weird.
My list is dominated by Easy victories even though I've beaten normal plenty of times. I managed to beat normal with the Zoltan B Cruiser and very little scrap collected. I even had to fight the first form of the boss twice because I accidentally fitted too many ion cannons. That Victory fell well short of my top 5 scores.

Don't remember the encounter too well, but there are plenty of times I keep shooting after boarding to take out the medbay for example. Sometimes just to knock down their crew health too. Just have to be careful to stop before the hull gets too low

I accepted surrender once and I was able to port my crew out?

JoseJX

As a warning, be careful even if it is low. I lost my Mantis boarding crew when a fire I'd started in the shields room damaged the remaining hull a long while after I'd turned off my guns.

I DID IT!!!
on easy. shut up

So, missiles are essential, huh? My strategy for the three bosses was to have 2 different missile systems: the pegasus and the hermes. These were used to target the shields while I used burst blaster 3 to then go after the weapons. I had the drone that repaired the systems on the ship, and the anti-personel drone (which was essential). With this, the bosses were pretty easy.

So happy to beat it on Easy. I just wish I could unlock ships on skill rather than randomly through chance encounters.

Tried a teleported run for the first time in my ~50 plays thus far. Worked enormously well for 6 nodes; just send a pair of insects in and start hunting down crew. But on the last two nodes, the strategy became worthless. The insects lose in 1-on-1 combat with humans and the boarding droid also cannot defeat a human in single combat. Is this normal, or did I just somehow hit nodes that have magically OP enemies? (The insects were max level fighting...)

Any word on the developers' post-launch plans? I had fun beating the game once, but the repetitive events with boring rewards has really impeded my attempts to replay it.

Jintor

Tried a teleported run for the first time in my ~50 plays thus far. Worked enormously well for 6 nodes; just send a pair of insects in and start hunting down crew. But on the last two nodes, the strategy became worthless. The insects lose in 1-on-1 combat with humans and the boarding droid also cannot defeat a human in single combat. Is this normal, or did I just somehow hit nodes that have magically OP enemies? (The insects were max level fighting...)

Anything's possible if you take out their hospital first and confine fighting to 2v2 rooms

KDR_11k

I haven't noticed enemies getting stronger in hand to hand combat (even on the flagship I could beat 4 rebels in hand to hand with a crew of 2 crystals, 1 rock, 1 mantis), maybe you fought in their medbay? Humans will only clearly beat Engis and Zoltan (they're even with other humans and slugs).

From the sound of it 2 square teleporters are the standard? Bleh, that sounds rather awful. Just two guys and no lockdown (which can be used to divide and conquer) sound like you'd be at a disadvantage against most enemies.

Scoring seems to favor killing via hull damage, my winning runs with the Crystal B (massive scrap surplus, beating the crap out of the flagship) scored around 3.5k while runs with the Kestrel and Torus that died on the boss scored 4k+. I guess that beta patch change that makes boarding victories count as ship kills would change that though.

I haven't noticed enemies getting stronger in hand to hand combat (even on the flagship I could beat 4 rebels in hand to hand with a crew of 2 crystals, 1 rock, 1 mantis), maybe you fought in their medbay? Humans will only clearly beat Engis and Zoltan (they're even with other humans and slugs).

Nope. Zone 6 or 7, easy, without medical my droid and insects lose in 1-on-1 punchouts. The two cases that specifically came to mind were my two insects losing in punchouts in a 2 person room, and a boarding drone losing in a bigger room where there was only one human combatant.

Also, to whomever was asking earlier about the type 2 Kestrel, I also seem to be seeing a big difficulty swing when you choose Type B. At first I just thought the hull of the Type B was weaker (double damage), but I'm routinely (on easy) running into ships with either 2 landing parties of 3, or drone ships that have Mark II beam drones. RNM is what it is, but considering this never happened through my first 30+ plays I'm willing to believe the game is just built to ramp up the difficulty against you when you choose Type B ships.

Jintor

There's nothing fucking worse than having nearly an entire salvo miss and the rest just bumping into the shields.

Zaptruder

Banned
There's nothing fucking worse than having nearly an entire salvo miss and the rest just bumping into the shields.

Well there's also the whole - can't find a store for 12 jumps while your previously awesome run gets slowly taken away from you as each successive enemy chips away at your health...

I lost a ship with 3 Blaster Laser IIs, healing bomb and 2 rock crew, 2 human boarding party to that. It was such a thing of beauty... and I even had long range sensors, so I was purposefully evading enemy encounters.

On the last one, I jumped into what appeared to be an empty system - but a chance event brought an enemy about anyway... and then those 3 blast lasers IIs, 9 shots in total, manages to do exactly the thing you describe, while targeting their weapons systems.

This game. This game...

Jintor

I love the Kestral B's layout but its weaponry is so weaksauce. 4 shots is great for about 3 sectors but as enemies shield up it becomes increasingly terrible... unless you find a cheap missile system or a good burst fire system early weaponry becomes unviable.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I love the Kestral B's layout but its weaponry is so weaksauce. 4 shots is great for about 3 sectors but as enemies shield up it becomes increasingly terrible... unless you find a cheap missile system or a good burst fire system early weaponry becomes unviable.
I made it to the boss wth only those 4 base lasers. Used attack drones and teleporting instead.

Jintor

It was working for me until I got hit by a boarding party, constant boarding drones, and 2 missile systems all at once

Top Bottom