• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FTL |OT| Stories of the Space Oregon Trail

I can't find it but it was a quest. I remember I had 3-4 dialog boxes in a row. Is it possible to get two different events?

Yes. All events have different, random outcomes, so you can't know what you'll get out of them. More to the point, most events are not worth it if you don't get a blue option, unless you're so far ahead that losing a crew member is no big deal, or so desperate you would probably die anyway.

Oh wait, I already wrote all that. >_>

[...]
EVENTS

In general, it is in your best interest to avoid away missions (alien spiders, disease outbreaks and such) unless you have an equipment/crew that gives you a blue option. For the regular, white "I'll go" choices, the "bad" result is usually crippling and can bring down an entire run. You might want to experiment at first to learn the possible outcomes of each (and, well, to sate your curiosity).

Events in general give a good idea of what you can lose if you gamble with them; sending someone to put out fires may get them killed, cruising through an asteroid field may damage your hull, etc. You should consider the deadlier ones only if you're so far ahead that you can afford to lose a crew member or hull (and remember it can be ANY crew member, even that master pilot you've had from the start), or so desperate that you will probably die anyway if you don't get a lucky shot; this is pretty rare.
[...]

evangd007

They come with you to the next jump point and continue to sabotage your ship, attacking and fighting your crew to their deaths.

I found out yesterday that if you encounter an enemy ship with a teleporter at your destination when you jump with enemy boarders, the new ship will beam those dudes back. Evidently every hostile force is allied against you.

On the plus side, got my first win with the Mantis Cruiser. The achievement to kill 20 crews by Sector 6 is damn near impossible, though. I got 24 kills in the entire run.

beanman25

First person who gets this steam code gets the game! Hoping someone who hasn't gotten to enjoy this glorious title gets it! :)

EDIT: quote for code, haha

First person who gets this steam code gets the game! Hoping someone who hasn't gotten to enjoy this glorious title gets it! :)

Mmmm, I would guess the majority of the people in this thread already have the game. Although if there IS someone lurking in this thread, one can assume that he/she wants the game bad, so it might actually be quite a neat idea to give it here. :D

beanman25

Mmmm, I would guess the majority of the people in this thread already have the game. Although if there IS someone lurking in this thread, one can assume that he/she wants the game bad, so it might actually be quite a neat idea to give it here. :D

That's why I put it in this thread, haha. I wouldn't want someone to redeem it and never play it. It's too good for that!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

Code not visible :p Just a heads up.

Correct tag is :

<- quote to see

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
He's gifting it to the first person to reply. Which is the best practice, really.

Aaah. I fully agree. Some people might try the email tag thing though, but I didnt get he meant it the other way. Well, I hope someone grabs it!

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I found out yesterday that if you encounter an enemy ship with a teleporter at your destination when you jump with enemy boarders, the new ship will beam those dudes back. Evidently every hostile force is allied against you.

On the plus side, got my first win with the Mantis Cruiser. The achievement to kill 20 crews by Sector 6 is damn near impossible, though. I got 24 kills in the entire run.
Wow that's dumb, would probably make it a lot harder to fight them without making any sense. As far as the achievement goes, I managed without too much trouble; but I literally boarded every single chance I had and fully explored the sectors in went through.

evangd007

Wow that's dumb, would probably make it a lot harder to fight them without making any sense. As far as the achievement goes, I managed without too much trouble; but I literally boarded every single chance I had and fully explored the sectors in went through.

I think my problem may have been that I was trying to win as well as get the achievement. Sometimes those two are mutually exclusive. For example, I avoided fights against Zoltan ships because of the fact that I'd likely take damage while wearing the shields down to board. I also didn't board enemy ships in asteroid and solar flare areas. Too dangerous.

Parallacs

I think my problem may have been that I was trying to win as well as get the achievement. Sometimes those two are mutually exclusive. For example, I avoided fights against Zoltan ships because of the fact that I'd likely take damage while wearing the shields down to board. I also didn't board enemy ships in asteroid and solar flare areas. Too dangerous.

Both of those are quite safe to board:

Asteroid fields are pretty much negated by a level one shield. Just don't fire on them at all.

Solare Flares are very slow killers. Evacuate your own ship's air and go to town on the enemy. Again don't fire a single shot.

The only dangerous type of ship is one charging their FTL. Take out the engines and take out drone control if they have repair droids. You should still be able to pull your guys out if you see jump iminent (unless zoltan or cloak powers up haha).

Daigoro

fucking plasma storm.

everything was going too well. sector 4, some nice upgrades, some good drones, hull at 100%, good crew of 6 leveling up decently. then the storm and one of those ships that just tears you apart.

my ship at half power is all of a sudden worthless, cant attack for shit, having everyone rush around trying to repair stuff. i had like 4 systems out in no time. enemy ate through my entire hull in no time. couldnt repair enoug in time to attack in any meaningful way, couldnt chagre up the FTL drive in time to jump before dying. no idea what i could have done differently...

that sucked.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I'm trying to snag ships by playing on easy. Made it to the final stage on easy for the first time, and I let the damn rebel ship capture the home base arrrgh.

I was out of missiles and couldn't penetrate a shield for shit, plus I tried using teleports for the first time and couldn't figure out how to beam my two fighters back until after they died :(

Nikodemos

You need at least Lv.II for the cooldown to be low enough. Otherwise they'll die just before the teleporter repowers (I think rockmen survive long enough to work with a Lv.I, but I never tried it, always went straight for Lv.II). Oh, and there's a separate button for recovery. Easy to miss if you don't pause (which is why pretty much all guides start with "always pause when unsure of something").

I'm trying to snag ships by playing on easy. Made it to the final stage on easy for the first time, and I let the damn rebel ship capture the home base arrrgh.

I was out of missiles and couldn't penetrate a shield for shit, plus I tried using teleports for the first time and couldn't figure out how to beam my two fighters back until after they died :(

Click the teleport back icon, I think the hotkey is 'r', and select the where your crew is located in the enemy ship.

Azih

Click the teleport back icon, I think the hotkey is 'r', and select the where your crew is located in the enemy ship.

The mechanics for teleport back are not obvious at all. Relying on missiles is not the best strat I think for the boss. You would need so many if you don't have another way of getting past their defense. And that ship has crazy good evade as well. Seeing a MISS pop up on missiles is a crap feeling.

Dr.Acula

Banned

Yeah, I did that, but for the first few seconds I was like, "click the crew, then the icon, no, the icon, then my ship, wait, their ship, then click the... oh crap, dead." I did ultimately beam back one corpse :p

The mechanics for teleport back are not obvious at all. Relying on missiles is not the best strat I think for the boss. You would need so many if you don't have another way of getting past their defense. And that ship has crazy good evade as well. Seeing a MISS pop up on missiles is a crap feeling.

I wasn't really able to find too many weapons. Also expensive. What's the best way to find scrap?

Azih

I wasn't really able to find too many weapons. Also expensive. What's the best way to find scrap?

Hit as many nodes as you can safely in every sector, don't be afraid to run away or ignore risky options on random events to reduce repair costs.

Try to get by with minimal upgrades in the first two sectors. That way you'll have scrap saved up for the stores.

Sometimes the RNG will just screw you though and you won't find any weapons. Nothing you can do about that. Other times you'll just find a Glaive Beam FLOATING IN SPACE.

If you have a run with no weapons but a bunch of crew/drone equipment think about maybe switching to a boarding strategy if you can (that also depends on finding a teleporter/drone control module and having enough scrap to buy it of course).

Also you can sell stuff in stores if you want if, for example, you have a bunch of drone parts that you're not going to use.

Trying to avoid spoilers and tips and stuff since I just started playing, but got a small Q.

While you heal and repair after a battle or just simply shop and outfit your ship, do the rebels still move toward you or does time stop ?

Trying to avoid spoilers and tips and stuff since I just started playing, but got a small Q.

While you heal and repair after a battle or just simply shop and outfit your ship, do the rebels still move toward you or does time stop ?

Time stops for the purposes of rebel movements until you move around in the bigger map.

Daigoro

MOTHERFUCK

another run ends in ruin. guys teleport to my ship and shut down the med bay. their ship destroys my o2 in one hit. i fight off the attackers, but there is no way to fix the O2 before everyone dies.

shitsticks.

Rebel movement only happens when you jump. Battles or any other actions don't have any effect on it; leaving the game on idling after a battle (or even during one, if you shut down the enemy ship or whatever) will not make them move an inch. Think of it as if each jump actually took hours or days but the game timeskips it (or if you want to get non-Newtonian, each jump makes you skip forward in time).

This is actually important as you want to make the most of each jump, so having a lot of battles actually work in your favor, "time"-wise.

Sushigod7

MOTHERFUCK

another run ends in ruin. guys teleport to my ship and shut down the med bay. their ship destroys my o2 in one hit. i fight off the attackers, but there is no way to fix the O2 before everyone dies.

shitsticks.

I love stuff like this when it happens, it's annoying if your far along but the suspense of the whole thing like no other game.

I finally won!...on easy. Using Kestrel. Weapons were 2x Burst Mark II and a Breach Bomb mark 2. Augments were weapon loader, engi nano heal and stealth weapons. Beat the dude with 1 hull hp left. My Mantis and one of my human brave souls were lost in the destruction of the flagship.

red731

This game, man...
tumblr_mm6lxpaPKv1s4kcwpo1_500.gif

I would never though I can get lost in it. I have already played around 11 hours. I haven't won yeat, I just get to Federation ships second fight, but still. I want to play more!

I bought CivV gold...kinda because of my new found passion of finaly thinking
AU7Amsc.gif

WorldStar

Banned
Just beat game for my first time on easy. Used Zoltan cruiser A. My ship had 0 dmg after I beat last phase of boss. I think I like this ship a lot, I can get to the boss on pretty much every playthrough with it.

Same goes for the engi A cruiser.

Kenaras

So, I'm playing through with the Rock Cruiser A and things are looking great. I've found some decent weapons, including a Fire Bomb. I have a Crew Teleporter, and a Defense Drone I. Long-Ranged Scanners are installed, and helped me get a Crystal crewmember. I've just jumped into the Rock Homeworlds. Maybe I'll finally unlock the Crystal Cruiser?

Start fighting a ship after the first jump, but I'm excited and don't really read the opening text. They don't have the weapons to get through my shields, so it looks like a good opportunity to try for the "Is it warm in here?" achievement and unlock the Rock B. I catch a low-health enemy in a room on fire, use Lockdown to prevent escape, and wait for the achievement to pop up. And then... the enemy ship jumps away, taking my Crystal crewmember with it.

T_T

(I have nearly 100 hours played, and use boarding tactics on the majority of my playthroughs. It's probably been at least 80 hours playtime since I last lost a boarding party from a jump; I'm usually so careful.)

Trouble

Banned
So, I'm playing through with the Rock Cruiser A and things are looking great. I've found some decent weapons, including a Fire Bomb. I have a Crew Teleporter, and a Defense Drone I. Long-Ranged Scanners are installed, and helped me get a Crystal crewmember. I've just jumped into the Rock Homeworlds. Maybe I'll finally unlock the Crystal Cruiser?

Start fighting a ship after the first jump, but I'm excited and don't really read the opening text. They don't have the weapons to get through my shields, so it looks like a good opportunity to try for the "Is it warm in here?" achievement and unlock the Rock B. I catch a low-health enemy in a room on fire, use Lockdown to prevent escape, and wait for the achievement to pop up. And then... the enemy ship jumps away, taking my Crystal crewmember with it.

T_T

(I have nearly 100 hours played, and use boarding tactics on the majority of my playthroughs. It's probably been at least 80 hours playtime since I last lost a boarding party from a jump; I'm usually so careful.)

You got greedy. That's what happens.

I have yet to even make it to the Rock homeworld with a Crystal crewmember. Every time I get him there is no Rock homeworld in front of me. :/

Kenaras

I have yet to even make it to the Rock homeworld with a Crystal crewmember. Every time I get him there is no Rock homeworld in front of me. :/

It's the only time I've ever been to the Rock Homeworlds with a Crystal crewmember; probably never see it happen again.

Azih

I get the crystal stuff without even trying for it, but I CAN'T UNLOCK THE DAMN STEALTH SHIP. Of course I stopped playing ages ago :).

Kenaras

I get the crystal stuff without even trying for it, but I CAN'T UNLOCK THE DAMN STEALTH SHIP. Of course I stopped playing ages ago :).

The Stealth Cruiser is the other ship I've never unlocked. If I have an Engi on my crew and make it to the Engi Homeworlds, it's always the same story: I scour the entire sector, and find the event at one of the last beacons available. By that time the quest markers can't be reached before the rebel fleet arrives. If I don't have an Engi on my crew, the event pops up at the first or second beacon I visit - but of course, they won't talk to me.

Now THAT is weird. The Stealth Ship was one of the first I unlocked, if not the very first, and I've actually "reunlocked" it several times. :/

WorldStar

Banned
am I the only one who doesn't like the Federation A (Osprey)?

Can't seem to figure this ship out.

Do most of you go for maxed Artillery Beam or do you leave it a bit lower and just rely it on for damage here and there?

Kenaras

am I the only one who doesn't like the Federation A (Osprey)?

Can't seem to figure this ship out.

Do most of you go for maxed Artillery Beam or do you leave it a bit lower and just rely it on for damage here and there?

I like the Osprey, but I don't max out my Artillery Beam until near the end. Focus on your defenses early, with a Defense Drone being your highest priority. Add a Crew Teleporter at some point and you're all set. If you can't find a Defense Drone you might be screwed.

(Use boarding tactics against vulnerable ships, with weapons and/or Artillery Beam as a fallback option. Mantis + Rockman makes for a solid boarding party, so you don't need to find additional crew members before the Crew Teleporter can be effective. If boarding proves impossible, Artillery Beam allows you to beat almost any ship in the game even if you have terrible luck with finding weapons. Just be very careful with the Artillery Beam when boarding; usually best to just cut the power entirely as soon as you board.)

Still can't beat the
boss second phase danmed.
The run was so good, I had two Mantis boarders but they were killed in a silly way and even with everything going downhill still managed to hit the last sector. I had to use an Engi and reserve Mantis as boarding crew :D. Also almost unlocked the Stealth cruiser, the quests were in the third sector but I was playing with the Engi A but didn't have any good weapon to unable the enemy flee. /facepalm

WorldStar

Banned
I like the Osprey, but I don't max out my Artillery Beam until near the end. Focus on your defenses early, with a Defense Drone being your highest priority. Add a Crew Teleporter at some point and you're all set. If you can't find a Defense Drone you might be screwed.

(Use boarding tactics against vulnerable ships, with weapons and/or Artillery Beam as a fallback option. Mantis + Rockman makes for a solid boarding party, so you don't need to find additional crew members before the Crew Teleporter can be effective. If boarding proves impossible, Artillery Beam allows you to beat almost any ship in the game even if you have terrible luck with finding weapons. Just be very careful with the Artillery Beam when boarding; usually best to just cut the power entirely as soon as you board.)

just beat boss with Osprey. Think I lucked out though, 2 x Burst Laser Mk. II, 1 Ion Bomb, 1 Fire Bomb.

Still not happy, raged hard during middle of game. Got a crystal guy for my first time, boarded enemy ship with him, wasn't paying attention and left my Artillery Beam on. Ended up blowing ship with him on it. fml

Sianos

The Torus is proving to be a very effective ship. Twice now in normal I came very close to
defeating the Rebel Flagship

My first run was a little more balanced, with an Ion Blast II, Pegasus Missiles, and the Pike Beam. Ion Blast the shields, finish them off with missiles, and then use the pike beam to cause widespread damage while my ion blast and drone keeps systems offline.
I made it to the Rebel Flagship, defeated the first two phases with little trouble... and clicked the wrong node and got an instant GAME OVER.

Second run was more specialized, focusing on ion weapons: two Ion blast II's and an Ion Bomb, with the augment that makes weapons recharge faster. I used the combined Ion Blasts to rip through shields and keep them and other essential systems locked, while the Ion Bomb takes out weapons in one go and the drones deal hull damage to the defenseless ship.
Made it to the last stand, where I got an awful layout, as the Rebel Flagship danced away from me on the other side of a U-shaped beacon layout, before instantly teleporting to the base. GAME OVER.

Feels like the worst possible way to lose a game, twice in a row. :(

Parallacs

I was bored last night and decided to play some after taking a few months off.

I won two straight on normal with the secret ship. I didn't even go below half hull the whole time. That ship is certainly a pay off for how many hours it took me to get it.

This game is fun, but I really hate that last battle. How can I breeze though the bulk of the game and not even be able to put a dent into the boss ship? It's aggravating. Guy had stealth, so every time I would get his shields down he would vanish, making any damage impossible. Bought up all the best weapons I could find too, still nothing.

And how can I start unlocking more ships? It seems completely random getting these quests.

Daigoro

This game is fun, but I really hate that last battle. How can I breeze though the bulk of the game and not even be able to put a dent into the boss ship? It's aggravating. Guy had stealth, so every time I would get his shields down he would vanish, making any damage impossible. Bought up all the best weapons I could find too, still nothing.

And how can I start unlocking more ships? It seems completely random getting these quests.

this is where im at right now.

ive gotten to the ship easily a few times, but i cant even make a dent. feels like my ship is just improperly equipped. i get destroyed so easily and i dont do much damage at all. i get set on fire, most of my systems go down and i blow up shortly thereafter.

im doing something wrong.

Vlad

ive gotten to the ship easily a few times, but i cant even make a dent. feels like my ship is just improperly equipped. i get destroyed so easily and i dont do much damage at all. i get set on fire, most of my systems go down and i blow up shortly thereafter.

Just general information on the boss, but I'm going to spoiler-tag it anyway:

As you're going through the game, keep the boss in mind. His four shields are a killer, since you don't usually have to face enemies with shields that strong beforehand. You might be just fine going through the game with a burst laser 3 (the one that does 5 shots), but if that's all you've got going up against the boss, then you'll need all five of those shots to connect to do a single point of damage, and considering that the boss has a pretty high evade chance, this is not a winning strategy.

Missiles work ok, but are a lot less effective (if not outright useless) on phase 2, due to the defense drone. I've found that bombs are a good approach, or a combination of lasers and a strong beam weapon to get through a shield level or two.

Of course, since you can't always control what you come across during the game, you have to improvise. I've found it's always good to hold on to an item that might be helpful, even if I'm not going to use it until the boss. There have been times that I've come across an Ion Bomb as a free drop, and didn't sell it, even though I had no intention of using it in regular encounters. It saved my ass when it came to the boss, though.

Kenaras

The final boss is extremely difficult until you get a feel for what you'll need. Generally, you'll want to spend the second half of the game focused entirely on preparing your ship for the boss. Most of what you need doesn't require much luck, just scrap. The main things you want which can be difficult to find are a Defense Drone and weapons capable of dealing with the boss's shields.

1) Install all systems. Drone Control with a Defense Drone will help deal with missiles, and completely protect you from Boarding Drones. A Crew Teleporter is the easiest way to disable the boss's weapon systems, and Cloaking deals with super attacks.

2) Burst lasers, ion weapons, and bombs are all good against the boss. Missiles are good during the first and third phases, but ineffective during the second phase. Ion weapons need to be stacked to be useful; a single Ion Blast or Heavy Ion is useless. Ion Bombs are amazing; if you find one, hang onto it. Piloting is often the best target for missiles or bombs; it doesn't take much damage to disable it, and afterwards you can ignore the boss's evasion. Other weapons are good once you're capable of dealing with the shields, particularly beam weapons.

3) At a bare minimum, upgrade your Shields to at least level 6 and Engines to at least level 5. If you have extra scrap, get your shields to level 8, and Engines as high as you can afford. Make sure you have Blast Doors, too. You should try to get your other systems to at least level 2, so they aren't disabled by a single point of stray damage. Piloting in particular is very risky to leave at level 1; losing all your evasion can easily get you killed.

Phase one is the easiest, so don't be in a rush to get to phase two. Take your time and kill all the crew members manning the weapons, so they won't be there during the later stages.

Azih

. Take your time and kill all the crew members manning the weapons, so they won't be there during the later stages.

Actually kill all but one. Leave one alive, I believe the one on the beam weapon is the best one to spare. Dude can't get out to repair any other part of the ship and is on the most useless weapon if your shields are up and can't get out to teleport in as a boarder. Try to kill everyone else though.

The boss ship is formidable but it has that glaring weakness with its weapons being isolated from the rest of the ship that can be exploited.

Parallacs

Actually kill all but one. Leave one alive, I believe the one on the beam weapon is the best one to spare. Dude can't get out to repair any other part of the ship and is on the most useless weapon if your shields are up and can't get out to teleport in as a boarder. Try to kill everyone else though.

The boss ship is formidable but it has that glaring weakness with its weapons being isolated from the rest of the ship that can be exploited.

Not the beam weapon, which is on the outer edge. Save the laser guy. The laser and missiles bays are the only ones that are around in phase 3, so you don't want the ship auto repairing in the second or third phases.

As others have said, bombs, teleport, defense drone (use 1 not 2 - you want it to be focused on shooting down boarders and missiles).

Micro-manage teleports to not get stuck on a cloaked ship and don't forget to cloak power surges. A boss run that goes for more than 5 seconds without a pause is playing recklessly.

Top Bottom