• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FTL |OT| Stories of the Space Oregon Trail

Kenaras

Actually kill all but one. Leave one alive, I believe the one on the beam weapon is the best one to spare. Dude can't get out to repair any other part of the ship and is on the most useless weapon if your shields are up and can't get out to teleport in as a boarder. Try to kill everyone else though.

The boss ship is formidable but it has that glaring weakness with its weapons being isolated from the rest of the ship that can be exploited.

No, only do this if you're boarding the main ship. If you don't have the proper weapons to get through the shields, killing the crew and using a boarding team to bring down the shields is your only other option. If you do have the proper weapons, a boarding team is both more difficult and more time-consuming. (When doing this, the guy manning the laser weapon is the one you want to leave alive.)

If you're doing the fight the normal way, you want to kill all of the crew members manning the weapons. Standard weapon attacks won't kill the entire crew, and there's no reason to leave the laser operational.

DEO3

I picked up FTL during the stream summer sale and only got around to playing it this week. I spent a number of days banging my head against normal mode (never making it past sector five, really), before deciding to step it down to easy mode. I guess my time in normal mode was well worth it though, because I not only made it to the boss, I beat it on my first try. I purposely avoided spoilers so I really had no idea what i was in for, I just assumed it'd throw everything at me and so made sure I had no weak spots. Scrap was so plentiful that I was able to outfit my Kestral with a Cloak, a Defense Done, maximum power reserves, extra crew members to fight of intruders, 40% evasion, the works. Even as well prepared as I was it was still an epic battle, I didn't even know there were going to be multiple phases so I ended up using all of the sector's resupply depots before I had even engaged it, and then blew through all of my missiles in the very first phase. I still don't know how I managed to get through the shields in phase 2/3.

I picked up FTL during the stream summer sale and only got around to playing it this week. I spent a number of days banging my head against normal mode (never making it past sector five, really), before deciding to step it down to easy mode. I guess my time in normal mode was well worth it though, because I not only made it to the boss, I beat it on my first try. I purposely avoided spoilers so I really had no idea what i was in for, I just assumed it'd throw everything at me and so made sure I had no weak spots. Scrap was so plentiful that I was able to outfit my Kestral with a Cloak, a Defense Done, maximum power reserves, extra crew members to fight of intruders, 40% evasion, the works. Even as well prepared as I was it was still an epic battle, I didn't even know there were going to be multiple phases so I ended up using all of the sector's resupply depots before I had even engaged it, and then blew through all of my missiles in the very first phase. I still don't know how I managed to get through the shields in phase 2/3.

Indeed, after playing for a while on Normal, Easy becomes a bit too easy. Gratz on your victory, though, beating all three phases on your first try is a huge accomplishment even on Easy!

I sort of kind of wish there was a difficulty level between Easy and Normal, for when I want to chill out but not faceroll everything.

Seanspeed

Banned
Hell yea. I got like 3100 something. Died on the boss. But I was kicking ass, I just went in with only like 1/3rd hull left. A couple more rounds of fire and I would have him definitely. That was painful, but also much farther than I'd gotten before.

There's really a lot to this game. You need to learn how to use everything properly or else you aren't getting far. I do feel confident enough now to make some runs for specific ships.

EDIT: And I love this soundtrack. Got it with the Humble Bundle and I listen to it quite a bit. Takes a really great OST to get me listening outside of the game.

CTLance

I assume from the screenie that you guys do not attack the weapons. They are targeted, but functional. Destroy them and anybody in their rooms, and you'll have a much simpler and less deadly fight. Especially (endgame spoiler)
in the later phases since the crew members do not respawn and can't get to the weapon rooms from the main body.

sikkinixx

After not playing this game for months I booted it up on a whim. I'd never beaten it before, even on easy, always dying at the last boss.

But this time... this time I crushed it. Got lucky enough to have a full crew, got the teleporter (combined with some Mantis members I salvaged a lot of ships) and fully upgrade shields etc. Having three Burst Laser II's and a missile made it deadly as hell since I could fire off volleys of 9 shots at once. My only real mistake came during the boss when I destroyed it with my boarding crew abroad still (RIP).

Best strat I found I was bombard a room where they had a bunch of crew to weaken them, then immediately hurl my Mantis crew over to clean up. Second volley went to medi-bay so they couldn't heal. With 4 rows of shields their weapons had a hard time getting them down all the way so I could withstand their attacks while the boarding team did their messy business.

Amazing feeling.

Fired up another game right away with the new ship... died in Sector 1.

Azih

After not playing this game for months I booted it up on a whim. I'd never beaten it before, even on easy, always dying at the last boss.

But this time... this time I crushed it. Got lucky enough to have a full crew, got the teleporter (combined with some Mantis members I salvaged a lot of ships) and fully upgrade shields etc. Having three Burst Laser II's and a missile made it deadly as hell since I could fire off volleys of 9 shots at once. My only real mistake came during the boss when I destroyed it with my boarding crew abroad still (RIP).

Best strat I found I was bombard a room where they had a bunch of crew to weaken them, then immediately hurl my Mantis crew over to clean up. Second volley went to medi-bay so they couldn't heal. With 4 rows of shields their weapons had a hard time getting them down all the way so I could withstand their attacks while the boarding team did their messy business.

Amazing feeling.

Fired up another game right away with the new ship... died in Sector 1.

Gratz. Three Burst Laser IIs is a god tier weapon rollout for sure. I swear by Laser Spam. And that was a great tactic to use it to take out their crew as well.

The Infinite Space Mod has been updated to work with the latest version of FTL!

What is FTL Infinite Space?
The universe is vast. With FTL Infinite Space you can explore the universe to your hearts content, or till you blow your ship to bits. Infinite Space will jump you from sector to sector, while you search for ancient powerful artifacts, and advanced technology to enhance your ships capabilities. Learn when to fight, and when to run. Dominate or be destroyed.

*No Rebel Fleet, No Rebel Boss, No hard stop end of game.
*Redesign of Sectors, and Enemy ships.
*Sector "mini bosses" (Player Cruisers images).
*19 new custom weapons.
*17 new custom drones.
*19 new events
*A different gaming experience than vanilla.

I need to check that out. FTL can be too stressful at times.

Playing it on Normal, first sector has 2 shield Zoltan Cruisers D: You do start off with 150 scrap and can choose a free crew member or (weak) weapon at the beginning, but it's still tough. But not having to worry about the Rebel fleet catching up and blocking off the map is great.

fallout

I need to check that out. FTL can be too stressful at times.
Infinite Space is a different kind of stress and far more unpredictable. At one point, I was down to 1 crew member and 20-30% hull, but somehow managed to keep going for a long way by being very, very cautious. Eventually, I built my ship and crew back up. In regular FTL, due to the time limitation, I would have taken far greater risks in that state and likely died.

Seanspeed

Banned
Playing it on Normal, first sector has 2 shield Zoltan Cruisers D: You do start off with 150 scrap and can choose a free crew member or (weak) weapon at the beginning, but it's still tough. But not having to worry about the Rebel fleet catching up and blocking off the map is great.

Infinite Space is a different kind of stress and far more unpredictable. At one point, I was down to 1 crew member and 20-30% hull, but somehow managed to keep going for a long way by being very, very cautious. Eventually, I built my ship and crew back up. In regular FTL, due to the time limitation, I would have taken far greater risks in that state and likely died.
By unpredictable, do you mean random and unfair?

Cuz nevermind, if that's the case.

fallout

By unpredictable, do you mean random and unfair?

Cuz nevermind, if that's the case.
It's still FTL, so of course it's random and unfair. That's what keeps it interesting. The unpredictability that I was getting though was to contrast it with FTL proper.

In a normal game of FTL, you know there's a rebel fleet chasing you and there's a boss in Sector 8. Infinite Space doesn't entirely have that. There are some common events, but because of the more open structure, your risk management changes quite a bit. For example, you probably won't be as concerned about building a ship that can beat the final boss.

Seanspeed

Banned
It's still FTL, so of course it's random and unfair. That's what keeps it interesting. The unpredictability that I was getting though was to contrast it with FTL proper.

In a normal game of FTL, you know there's a rebel fleet chasing you and there's a boss in Sector 8. Infinite Space doesn't entirely have that. There are some common events, but because of the more open structure, your risk management changes quite a bit. For example, you probably won't be as concerned about building a ship that can beat the final boss.
Well in vanilla, the difficulty increases gradually, sector-to-sector, which keeps things fair. Does Infinite Space get rid of that?

fallout

Well in vanilla, the difficulty increases gradually, sector-to-sector, which keeps things fair. Does Infinite Space get rid of that?
When you get strong enough, you start seeing mini-bosses. Until then, there seems to be a lot of variability in the difficulty of what you might run across.

So, yeah, you might run into something that grossly overpowers you and you'll have to run away. Suffer their barrage until your ship's FTL can power up and then GTFO. I find that this is an easier decision to make than in vanilla FTL, as you're less concerned about wasting an opportunity to gain resources.

Seanspeed

Banned
When you get strong enough, you start seeing mini-bosses. Until then, there seems to be a lot of variability in the difficulty of what you might run across.

So, yeah, you might run into something that grossly overpowers you and you'll have to run away. Suffer their barrage until your ship's FTL can power up and then GTFO. I find that this is an easier decision to make than in vanilla FTL, as you're less concerned about wasting an opportunity to gain resources.
Ok, that sounds alright then. With no worry about a chasing fleet, it wont feel like a wasted turn or anything. Thanks.

With the Infinite Space mod, you will encounter 2 shield ships with good weapons in the first sector (but sometimes you can choose the option to not fight and avoid getting blown up). Fortunately, the mod starts you off with 150 scrap and something like 25 fuel and 25 missiles and the option to choose a free crew member or a variety of low tier weapons. So yeah, not going hostile when given the option or running away is a viable choice, especially since you can visit every point in the sector and not have to worry about the Rebels blocking things off.

O.DOGG

I've been playing this game on and off since it came out more than a year ago. I've put in probably more than 100 hours in it. And it was today that I finally unlocked the Crystal Cruiser. I've been trying for so long that now that I finally have it... I don't know how I feel.

I've been playing this game on and off since it came out more than a year ago. I've put in probably more than 100 hours in it. And it was today that I finally unlocked the Crystal Cruiser. I've been trying for so long that now that I finally have it... I don't know how I feel.

Hopefully, good? :)

If it's any consolation, I have well over 100 hours logged on FTL and I've still not got the Slug Cruiser. :/

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
[hype intensifies]

tumblr_mbrjl9ZDNn1riqizno1_250.gif

Vlad

Call me strange, but while I'm quite intrigued by the new systems, weapons, and so on, I think I was most excited by this part of the update:

FTL Website said:
you’ll be able to save your crew positions and send them back to battle-stations

That was my biggest peeve with the game. Having to remember which guy was your engine guy on a given run and send everybody back to their own rooms manually after busy engagements got old fast.

Hopefully, good? :)

If it's any consolation, I have well over 100 hours logged on FTL and I've still not got the Slug Cruiser. :/

Pfft, I see you a and raise you with 87 hours played and yet to unlock the Slug, Rock or Mantis ships or even defeat the final boss AND I'm playing it on EASY!

Ha! Beat that!

Perfect :).

I was gifted this game by a fine fellow GAFer. Oh yes, it was you wasn't it Toma? :p

Call me strange, but while I'm quite intrigued by the new systems, weapons, and so on, I think I was most excited by this part of the update:

That was my biggest peeve with the game. Having to remember which guy was your engine guy on a given run and send everybody back to their own rooms manually after busy engagements got old fast.

I can understand that. I was very pleased to see that the updates can be de-selected before starting a game which is handy for those of us who are yet to 'finish' the game and wish to do so before going to the expansion. However, if we are allowed to select which expansion elements we wish to use such as the one you specify, that would be ideal.

Fjordson

Wow, that new update looks like it'll be great. And as if the gameplay additions weren't enough, we also get new music and some writing from Chris Avellone? Awesome.

I didn't see that, and indeed, you're not the only one loving that; this will cut down on downtime/post-battle hassle a LOT. Awesome stuff.

Pfft, I see you a and raise you with 87 hours played and yet to unlock the Slug, Rock or Mantis ships or even defeat the final boss AND I'm playing it on EASY!

Ha! Beat that!

Under my verbal guidance, a friend of mine reached the final boss during his very first game. :) Have you checked my insanely long tips post? For reference:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=45775649&postcount=1191
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=45834724&postcount=1221
If you still have any trouble, post your issues here and we'll help!

110 hours for me, and I haven't unlocked the Slug or Mantis ships, as well as the alt ships for Rock or Stealth. I have beaten the game on Normal maybe 4 times, 6-7 times on Easy (I exclusively play Normal though). I spent at least 20 hours alone trying to beat Normal with Zoltan A, but have failed every time. Zoltan A is my favorite ship but have never been lucky enough to win.

O.DOGG

Wow, just read the news. The Diablo 3 bug bit me again and I just now checked my news sites. What an awesome update. One of the greatest games is about to become even better. I'm most excited about the Chris Avellone contribution to be honest but everything else sounds just yummy. I can't wait. Bring it on!

Yeah, it feels pretty good actually. With my fleet now complete I am ready for the new expansion :)

I'm slightly surprised they didn't actually announce new ships, considering they're by far the easiest stuff to make even by fans (Superluminal editor being one of the best tools for that). Considering the addition of new systems and weapon types, it seems like new ships would be a no-brainer. So I have a pretty strong suspicion (wishful thinking?) that they're planning to announce new races down the line, and that's the entire reason they didn't say a thing about ships (as those may give the races away, or at least that they exist).

Azih

I don't know. Mind Control seems like a good fit for slugs while Hacking feels like an extra Engi option rather than needing brand new races.

I didn't see that, and indeed, you're not the only one loving that; this will cut down on downtime/post-battle hassle a LOT. Awesome stuff.

Under my verbal guidance, a friend of mine reached the final boss during his very first game. :) Have you checked my insanely long tips post? For reference:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=45775649&postcount=1191
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=45834724&postcount=1221
If you still have any trouble, post your issues here and we'll help!

Thanks for the links :). I have them open in separate tabs and will give them a look before I settle into FTL for the evening. I am at the start of Sector 7 so I'm hopeful of doing a bit better with the final boss this time.

I may well ask for help, thanks :). My first 50+ hours of FTL I avoided threads about it as I didn't want to spoil the game for myself. After failing at the final boss quite a few times now though I would just like to beat the melon farmer! I had a quick look at an FTL Wikia and a FAQ so hopefully I have a better idea now of how to tackle it. We'll see :).

110 hours for me, and I haven't unlocked the Slug or Mantis ships, as well as the alt ships for Rock or Stealth. I have beaten the game on Normal maybe 4 times, 6-7 times on Easy (I exclusively play Normal though). I spent at least 20 hours alone trying to beat Normal with Zoltan A, but have failed every time. Zoltan A is my favorite ship but have never been lucky enough to win.

Glad to see it's not just me :). Well done you for being able to defeat the final boss though! I know what you mean about having favourite ships. I finally managed to unlock the six different races achievement yesterday for the Kestrel Cruiser. I had been close so many times so when it happened I think I was a bit too surprised to really enjoy it :D. I think my next plan will be to try to unlock the remaining achievements I don't have together with getting as familiar with the different ships and the strategies required for each as I am with the Kestrel Cruiser and also unlock the ships I don't have. Many more hours of play in all that whether I beat the final boss battle or not :).

Kenaras

Wow, I'm more excited about the Advanced Edition announcement than I am about any other upcoming game. The fact that it'll be free is just icing; I'd gladly pay for the expansion.

To commiserate with the people still missing ships, I'm at 108 hours played according to Steam. I'm still missing the Stealth Cruiser. (Crystal Cruiser too, but that's to be expected.)

:eek: I finally defeated the big bad boss! :D *runs around the room in a stunned but overjoyed state*
actually I just did a double fist pump combined with a "YESS!!!!" exclamation but you get the point :)

Your links proved pretty helpful Weltall Zero :) so thanks. I almost stopped playing the game yesterday due to frustration from making stupid, rookie errors and just missing out on unlocking a new ship or two. However I decided to change my strategies a tad since what I had been doing clearly wasn't working and I managed to keep it together without doing any critically damaging stupid mistakes and victory was mine! :D It only took 96 attempts but hey, who's counting? :p Besides it's the journey not the destination that counts in this game right guys? Guys?

Seriously, I am feeling a strange mixture of relief, surprise, satisfaction and even loss. What am I going to do now without this driving my life purpose? :'(

Put the kettle on and start a new game? Why yes I think that is the correct answer :D.

Oh and on the off chance that the devs read this. I absolutely adore your game! Thank you! :D *kisses*

:eek: I finally defeated the big bad boss! :D *runs around the room in a stunned but overjoyed state*
actually I just did a double fist pump combined with a "YESS!!!!" exclamation but you get the point :)

Your links proved pretty helpful Weltall Zero :) so thanks. I almost stopped playing the game yesterday due to frustration from making stupid, rookie errors and just missing out on unlocking a new ship or two. However I decided to change my strategies a tad since what I had been doing clearly wasn't working and I managed to keep it together without doing any critically damaging stupid mistakes and victory was mine! :D It only took 96 attempts but hey, who's counting? :p Besides it's the journey not the destination that counts in this game right guys? Guys?

Seriously, I am feeling a strange mixture of relief, surprise, satisfaction and even loss. What am I going to do now without this driving my life purpose? :'(

Put the kettle on and start a new game? Why yes I think that is the correct answer :D.

Oh and on the off chance that the devs read this. I absolutely adore your game! Thank you! :D *kisses*

Congrats! What ship and weapons did you use to win?

Now you have to beat the game with a new ship.

Awesome, glad to hear I was of some help! Strange as it might sound, you've just begun your FTL voyage; I was 20 hours into the game when I first finished it (which was on normal, oddly enough) but I've put 100 hours into it, and still am not close to done with it (and am still learning!). Finishing it on normal, unlocking all the other ships, unlocking each variant, finishing the game with the other ships (most are a completely different experience, and some are a hard mode on themselves)... you have a lot to look forward to!

What is the being mentioned update? I've been out of the FTLoop for a long time

Why hello, dearest friend! :) They announced a free update with tons of new stuff; new weapons, new environmental hazards, new music, new systems (hacking and mind control), and new events written by Planescape Torment's scriptwriter! We're not discounting there being new races and ships too, although nothing's been announced regarding that, yet.
http://vimeo.com/79104930

Congrats! What ship and weapons did you use to win?

Now you have to beat the game with a new ship.

Thanks :). It was the Kestrel Cruiser B Layout which I hadn't used for quite a few hours as I had been trying to get more to grips with some of the other ships. I had played with that particular ship for so many hours before though so that wasn't really the reason I finally won. It was a combination of trying different weapons and tactics, few stupid errors on my part, getting tips from the internets [hai vvv] and an awful lot of luck! :D

I am currently on a run with the Fed Cruiser which is a lot of fun and accidentally unlocked its alternate layout with my first play with it so that was nice :). With any luck I might even unlock the Rock Cruiser once I continue my game later. I have been so close to some of those ships so many times and just missed out on them so hopefully the stars will be aligned in my favour this time! :D

Awesome, glad to hear I was of some help! Strange as it might sound, you've just begun your FTL voyage; I was 20 hours into the game when I first finished it (which was on normal, oddly enough) but I've put 100 hours into it, and still am not close to done with it (and am still learning!). Finishing it on normal, unlocking all the other ships, unlocking each variant, finishing the game with the other ships (most are a completely different experience, and some are a hard mode on themselves)... you have a lot to look forward to!

Why hello, dearest friend! :) They announced a free update with tons of new stuff; new weapons, new environmental hazards, new music, new systems (hacking and mind control), and new events written by Planescape Torment's scriptwriter! We're not discounting there being new races and ships too, although nothing's been announced regarding that, yet.

Oh I know! :D I was just lying in bed thinking about how I still have so much to do in the game. I might not even get it all done before the update comes out! That's alright though :) as it's a game that is endlessly playable and still will be years from now. Plus there are the mods to try. I don't feel the need for the mod that spruces up the graphics as I really like what there is but it can't hurt to try them out. The Endless Mode really does interest me though :D. Once I've ticked off my 'to do' list in the default game I shall definitely be giving that a spin! I wonder if they will include such a mode in the update? I hope they do together with lots of new achievements. moar cards 2 pls kthxbai

Thanks :). It was the Kestrel Cruiser B Layout which I hadn't used for quite a few hours as I had been trying to get more to grips with some of the other ships. I had played with that particular ship for so many hours before though so that wasn't really the reason I finally won. It was a combination of trying different weapons and tactics, few stupid errors on my part, getting tips from the internets [hai vvv] and an awful lot of luck! :D

I am currently on a run with the Fed Cruiser which is a lot of fun and accidentally unlocked its alternate layout with my first play with it so that was nice :). With any luck I might even unlock the Rock Cruiser once I continue my game later. I have been so close to some of those ships so many times and just missed out on them so hopefully the stars will be aligned in my favour this time! :D

The Red-Tail is so OP in the first 2-3 sectors. You'd think that a basic laser is weak, but burst firing 4 is really strong. You are burst firing with them(hit the number hotkey then left click: 1 c 2 c 3 c 4 c), right? You can go through 3 shields that way. Nice that you unlocked Fed B. Good luck with the Rock Cruiser. I hate that ship, though. Too much reliance on missiles and I've never had any luck with weapon pickups.

I had to manually quit a run with Zoltan A a few minutes ago. I ran out of fuel at the end of Sector 5 and the Rebels caught up to me. I had 3 shields and a Defense Drone, so I couldn't die. But I had no fuel (can't run away), no missiles and no way to break through the enemy shields, so it was a stalemate. I could have left the game running for hours and neither ship would have blown up. I've actually had to quit the final boss a few times because of this situation.

O.DOGG

I beat the game today with the Crystal Cruiser B. I always have the most fun when boarding enemy ships and when it comes to doing that this ship delivers in spades.

I'm having a hard time deciding whether I like this one more or the Mantis B Cruiser - both have four-person teleporters but different starting offensive and defensive capabilities. In any case they're both very fun to use.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Update comes in early 2014, with the iPad release.

Video about it here: http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/ftl-advanced-edition-s-coming-to-ruin-your-free-ti/2300-8208/
Holy cow, such support!
Full of helpful knowledge bombs as always my good man *tips hat*

Top Bottom