• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FTL |OT| Stories of the Space Oregon Trail

I did it! I beat the game!!
on easy.

As4AaHa.jpg

Wow, that was stressful.

Well done! \o/

It took me the best part of 200 hours to do that!
on easy :/ although I did mess around for a lot of the last hundred hours trying to unlock various ships etc

That's no mean feat :).

Well done! \o/

It took me the best part of 200 hours to do that!
on easy :/ although I did mess around for a lot of the last hundred hours trying to unlock various ships etc

That's no mean feat :).

The Crystal Ship can go die in a fire

Seriously 3 events needed in a specific order in single run? Only ship I can't unlock

Trying to unlock the B type Rock ship is really frustrating.

For the "Is it warm in here achievement?" I would suggest trying to get it in the boss battle.

The weapon rooms are locked off from the rest of the ship so if you ignite one of the rooms with a guy left in it and teleport 2 rock guys in you're set to clean up that achievement easy peasy. Although probably try to get the achievement on the ion or beam weapon room after disabling the laser and missile room for safety

The drone/missle one is just annoying and requires patience

But yeah the secret sector one needs way too much luck to get

ameratsu

Seems like they fixed the bug where you could indefinitely level up your crew in an asteroid field after finishing a fight with an enemy ship.

Whoa, finally got the B layout for the rock ship. Almost had an an aneurysm too. Sector 6, finally found a rebel cruiser with a defense drone, started attack with 24 missiles, ended with 2. 1 health bar left, 8 missiles, miss miss, I wanted to cry, but a landed one and got the achievement.

Whoa, finally got the B layout for the rock ship. Almost had an an aneurysm too. Sector 6, finally found a rebel cruiser with a defense drone, started attack with 24 missiles, ended with 2. 1 health bar left, 8 missiles, miss miss, I wanted to cry, but a landed one and got the achievement.

lol that sucks. I got that rock achievement unintentionally in the first or second sector once simply due to only having missle launchers. I almost never run away from a fight

I cant wait for this update!!1!!!

NEW ALIEN RACE
The Lanius

Hello everyone. As the new year approaches and with it the impending FTL: Advanced Edition release, we wanted to announce some of the other features in the free update.
The Lanius have rarely been seen in Federation Space, and no official diplomatic contact has ever been recorded. One widely held theory blames the Lanius for why there is so little evidence of ancient civilizations; the Lanius simply absorbed them.

BACKGROUND
The Lanius are scavengers – metallic lifeforms that rely on the absorption of minerals to sustain themselves. Their society ebbs and flows in hibernation cycles; they may lie dormant for many years, even while hurtling through space. As soon as they become aware of significant metal deposits they reawaken. Usually this occurs in the dying stages of a galactic civilization or in the wake of intergalactic war.

Reports of reawakened Lanius have appeared in many of the war-torn and abandoned sectors of Federation Space. Their arrival has created panic as they indiscriminately seek our sources of metal – although more diplomatic individuals have suggested that they can be reasoned with.

GAMEPLAY
Individuals of the Lanius race do not require life support to live – they can survive in deep space unaided. In fact, their unique composition reacts strongly to artificial environments causing them to drain the oxygen within any compartment they inhabit. This is no doubt one reason they have had difficulty with diplomatic relations.

Additional Features

Other than new alien race, here are some more previously unannounced features:
  • Lanius Ship: New player ship with its own achievements and alternate layout.
  • Type C Ship Layouts: 8 of the original ships will have a third layout that capitalizes on the new content. With the Lanius ship, that makes for a total of ten new starting ship designs.
  • Backup Battery Subsystem: Subsystem that can provide temporary reactor power in a pinch.
  • New Drones: Expanded drone options includes: the Shield Drone that generates a green super shield for your ship, the Anti-Combat Drone that shoots down enemy combat drones, and the Ion Intruder that blasts into the enemy ship and randomly ionizes systems while stunning and distracting crew.
  • Gameplay Refinements: Doors and Sensors can be manned to increase effectiveness; you can now rename crew mid-game; each race has a small variety of colors which allows for easier visual recognition;
  • And more to come: We’re still balancing and polishing the features that are being added. Be sure to keep an eye out for additional content announcements!

I cant wait for this update!!1!!!

This is the same update from late December, right? There's a handful of posts in this very thread about it as well, starting here; I also posted my thoughts about the implications for the new race. They may well be a literal game-changer. And those ship designs look amazing.

I really hope we get a couple more races with perks as interesting as the Lanius', but even of that's not the case, the amount of new content for the free expansion is huge, and makes it my most anticipated gme of 2014. :)

This is the same update from late December, right? There's a handful of posts in this very thread about it as well, starting here; I also posted my thoughts about the implications for the new race. They may well be a literal game-changer. And those ship designs look amazing.

I really hope we get a couple more races with perks as interesting as the Lanius', but even of that's not the case, the amount of new content for the free expansion is huge, and makes it my most anticipated gme of 2014. :)

Ops totally missed it in the previous page xD

Purkake4

Banned
Not sure what's crazier, this thread still being alive and active or them releasing a sweet update a year after release.

Either way, it's awesome.

Finally I have beaten FTL on Normal.

I can't beat Christopher Robin, but at least I've beaten FTL on Normal. It helped that I managed to get 2 additional Burst Laser Mark II weapons, one at a shop at the very last end.

lol 3 burst laser MK II's is about the best damn weapon combination you can have

Congrats though. I find FTL far more enjoyable than that winnie the pooh game. That thing is too damn hard

lol 3 burst laser MK II's is about the best damn weapon combination you can have

Congrats though. I find FTL far more enjoyable than that winnie the pooh game. That thing is too damn hard

The RNG gods must have been feeling generous. You could probably set everything on Auto-fire and then go make a sandwich :p

The best setup I had was probably 2 Burst Mk IIs, Ion Mk II, Ion Mk 1, and some attack or beam drones. The ions shut everything down while the burst lasers and drones went to town.

Thanks.

You cannot believe my reaction when I find a shop at The Last Stand that happens to sell a MK II. I've put many, way too many hours into the game. Finally. Of course the game is ridiculously easy if you can get three MK IIs, but I don't even care anymore.

Also fuck hermits.

Yeah I can imagine FTL being very frustrating if you have trouble beating it etc. Luckily my older brother clued me in on the boarding strategy so I was able to adapt pretty fast. Still took like 40 hours to beat it on normal I bet for me though

The RNG gods must have been feeling generous. You could probably set everything on Auto-fire and then go make a sandwich :p

The best setup I had was probably 2 Burst Mk IIs, Ion Mk II, Ion Mk 1, and some attack or beam drones. The ions shut everything down while the burst lasers and drones went to town.

I think I've actually had 3 MKII burst laser before and a MK 1 so like 11 shots with a short recharge time. Way too powerful for any ship you come across aside maybe a 4 shield autobot with super high evasion. But yeah the right weapons/drones make it much easier to handle

Finally I have beaten FTL on Normal. I even managed to unlock a ship in that run.

I can't beat Christopher Robin, but at least I've beaten FTL on Normal. It helped that I managed to get 2 additional Burst Laser Mark II weapons, one at a shop at the very last end.

Congrats! :D

The only drawback to that is that you should really change your username now! :p

Azih

Laser spam really is the best tactic. Every other loadout is strong in some scenarios and weak in others. A rapid barrage of lasers on the other hand brings down shields, overwhelms evasion, gets past defensive drones, causes hull damage and system damage so you can defang your opponent pretty fast, and doesn't need any finite resources like missiles and drones do.

You do need a good powerplant and have other ways to defend yourself against boarders but other than that even two MKIIs make the game easier.

Made it to 2:42 then stopped. I just... can't. This guy can't be serious right? This has to be a troll.

The Youtube sidebar shows two more videos from him: BAD GAMES: Ocarina of Time, and BAD GAMES: A Link to the Past. If that's not an obvious enough hint...

Let's just stop giving him clicks.

I Kickstarted the game, but haven't been able to play much. The new update looks sick. I guess I'll finally have to get back into the game, maybe actually beat it (on easy).

Xetherion

Does anyone know if they changed some things in a recent patch? I started playing again a couple weeks ago to try to unlock the Crystal ship again, and two things seem to have changed:

When I find the system beacon with the ship that has the stasis pod, I never successfully find the stasis pod anymore. My ship always takes damage and has to pull out. This has seriously happened at least ten times in a row, even RNG gods screwing me shouldn't happen that often. Is it required to have the Rock ship to be successful in that event now?

I never see the Cloaking subsystem in shops anymore. Ever. Not once in the several dozen runs I've done since I started playing again. Is Cloaking only available on the Stealth ship now?

Edit: Nevermind the Cloaking bit, realized I can't get it because I'm using the Federation Cruiser.

Does anyone know if they changed some things in a recent patch? I started playing again a couple weeks ago to try to unlock the Crystal ship again, and two things seem to have changed:

When I find the system beacon with the ship that has the stasis pod, I never successfully find the stasis pod anymore. My ship always takes damage and has to pull out. This has seriously happened at least ten times in a row, even RNG gods screwing me shouldn't happen that often. Is it required to have the Rock ship to be successful in that event now?

I never see the Cloaking subsystem in shops anymore. Ever. Not once in the several dozen runs I've done since I started playing again. Is Cloaking only available on the Stealth ship now?

Edit: Nevermind the Cloaking bit, realized I can't get it because I'm using the Federation Cruiser.

You can do the Crystal ship quest line with any ship, just gotta pray to the RNG gods.

Xetherion

Of course on the next run I did after I posted that, I successfully got the stasis pod. Found the event to repair it on my very next jump too. Never found a Rock Homeworld after that though.

Still can't believe how many times in a row I failed to get the stasis pod though. RNG gods must really hate me.

Of course on the next run I did after I posted that, I successfully got the stasis pod. Found the event to repair it on my very next jump too. Never found a Rock Homeworld after that though.

Still can't believe how many times in a row I failed to get the stasis pod though. RNG gods must really hate me.

The crysal ship is the RNG gods idea of a joke. Having to get 3 random events correctly with one only possible in a specific sector is a pain

Azih

I almost feel embarrassed that I got through the whole sequence without even trying. Just kept on stumbling through. The
Crystal Home world
is a really amazing place guys!

I almost feel embarrassed that I got through the whole sequence without even trying. Just kept on stumbling through. The
Crystal Home world
is a really amazing place guys!

I am giving you the evil stare through the internet. I have tried to get the crystal ship so many times. Has to be at least 50 attempts by now and the RNG gods hate me

I am giving you the evil stare through the internet. I have tried to get the crystal ship so many times. Has to be at least 50 attempts by now and the RNG gods hate me

Let me share the burden of that evil stare as well, I got the entire chain the very first time I defroze the crystal guy.
On the other hand, that's the only time I've ever been to the crystal sector, which is kind of a shame...

Xetherion

I'm giving you both the evil stare too. I've done at least 50 attempts as well. One time I actually made it to the Crystal Homeworld, but it was on a run that was going badly and my ship was weak and low on HP. Got destroyed before I made to the quest beacon >_<

Funny story. First time I got the Crystal dude out of his chamber I made it to the rock homeworld. I learned a very important lesson though. Rock = immune to fire =!= Crystal

My crystal guy died in a fire that he got locked in with :(

Suffice it to say that run made me uh aggravated

Mindlog

I also spent many pages and several playthroughs convinced the Rock cousins hated me.
The reward is pretty good though. Their ship was crazy powerful for me. So easy to take over enemy ships and score all that extra scrap.

I also spent many pages and several playthroughs convinced the Rock cousins hated me.
The reward is pretty good though. Their ship was crazy powerful for me. So easy to take over enemy ships and score all that extra scrap.

Evil stare from me to you is so strong right now. I got to get that damn ship now

Captain's Log, Stardate 43125.8: The RNG gods have finally bestowed their favor on us it would seem.We have succeeded in reaching the hidden Crystal Sector and acquired the Crystal Ship.

FINALLY, jeez that took way to many attempts lol. Managed to get all 3 of the rock ships achievements in that one run too

Captain's Log, Stardate 43125.8: The RNG gods have finally bestowed their favor on us it would seem.We have succeeded in reaching the hidden Crystal Sector and acquired the Crystal Ship.

FINALLY, jeez that took way to many attempts lol. Managed to get all 3 of the rock ships achievements in that one run too

\o/

Top Bottom