• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FTL |OT| Stories of the Space Oregon Trail

Mindlog

Hacking sounds like a really useful tool on a Mantis ship.

Hack
Teleport
Face Claws
Teleport

Really there are a lot of interesting ideas in the update. Can't wait to play it...
Release it!

Fuck yes Hard Mode! Pretty much the one thing I wanted!

Edit: Was this known? There seems to be bars physically adjacent to each weapon showing their recharge status, they show this in the GIF for hacking weapon systems:
Hacking_weapons.gif

I also loved how the one crew member whose name we see is specifically Notch.
Mind_fight.gif

Hacking sounds like a really useful tool on a Mantis ship.

Hack
Teleport
Face Claws
Teleport

Really there are a lot of interesting ideas in the update. Can't wait to play it...
Release it!

Unfortunately, hacking can only teleport boarders back to their ship, not the opposite.
THAT SAID, you can do exactly that with mind control! MC one of their crew, beam them into your mantis-crowded teleporter and watch the walls get painted in red. :D

Mindlog

Unfortunately, hacking can only teleport boarders back to their ship, not the opposite.
THAT SAID, you can do exactly that with mind control! MC one of their crew, beam them into your mantis-crowded teleporter and watch the walls get painted in red. :D
I'm more interested in the hack passive ability. The only counter an enemy has to getting their faces clawed off is running away. If the hack locks doors just long enough then my cute little Mantissss will be able to have a picnic without those pesky med bays being a concern.

U5Wyh0d.jpg

Although... I wonder if enemy ships will have clone bays. If so I wonder what's going to prevent me from power-leveling the crap out of my boarding crew.

All in on hard mode. Some of the current ships seem a bit OP for normal anyway.

I'm more interested in the hack passive ability. The only counter an enemy has to getting their faces clawed off is running away. If the hack locks doors just long enough then my cute little Mantissss will be able to have a picnic without those pesky med bays being a concern.

U5Wyh0d.jpg

Ah, I see! Wow, that's an awesome combo indeed, didn't even think of that! It's pretty great how many new strategies all of these systems open up right off the bat. :)

Although... I wonder if enemy ships will have clone bays. If so I wonder what's going to prevent me from power-leveling the crap out of my boarding crew.

I'm almost sure we'll see enemy ships with all these systems; seems like a ship with a clone system could be quite a challenge for a board-centric ship, depending on how fast they can churn them out.

All in on hard mode. Some of the current ships seem a bit OP for normal anyway.

Agreed, the Kestrel, Zoltan, Fed Cruiser and especially the Crystal Ship are quite OP. Whereas I hate playing as the Rock Ship...

Agreed, the Kestrel, Zoltan, Fed Cruiser and especially the Crystal Ship are quite OP. Whereas I hate playing as the Rock Ship...

But you get TWO missile launchers to start, not one but TWO!

lol I've gotten to the 4th sector without another weapon before. It was painful

But you get TWO missile launchers to start, not one but TWO!

lol I've gotten to the 4th sector without another weapon before. It was painful

Yeah, me too, a few times even. I already hated missiles even before playing it, but after that... ugh. Worse, I've played a lot of games with it and I've yet to unlock more than one of its achievements for the Layout B. On the other hand, its Layout B sounds like pure torture. No hatchs!?

Yeah, me too, a few times even. I already hated missiles even before playing it, but after that... ugh. Worse, I've played a lot of games with it and I've yet to unlock more than one of its achievements for the Layout B. On the other hand, its Layout B sounds like pure torture. No hatchs!?

Getting all the rock ship achievements is the great joke given to us mortals by the RNG gods. Getting the crystal ship ugh

You can buy a door system for 60 scrap from a shop with the layout b though. I think a lot of people recommend it's not worth the money but screw that I need my doors

I've always found the Rock Ship to be about as useful as a real rock. I always have to pray to the RNG gods that I get a laser in sector 1, but that rarely happens. I often run out of missiles and die before sector 4-5.

Its only real use is in getting the Crystal ship, which is a tough feat in itself.

I've always found the Rock Ship to be about as useful as a real rock. I always have to pray to the RNG gods that I get a laser in sector 1, but that rarely happens. I often run out of missiles and die before sector 4-5.

Its only real use is in getting the Crystal ship, which is a tough feat in itself.

Yep I dislike missiles as a main source of offense due to the need for ammo. I've never really had successful missile runs where I didn't end up having to buy missile ammo almost constantly near the end.

It's coming April 3rd! http://www.ftlgame.com/?page_id=106

Release Date!

The time has come! We will release both FTL for the iPad and the FTL: Advanced Edition expansion on April 3rd!

As a reminder, FTL: Advanced Edition is a free content expansion for FTL. All current (and future) customers will receive this update regardless of where they purchased it. Prior to release, we will post detailed instructions on how to get the update from whatever digital vendor you originally purchased FTL.

The iPad version of FTL will require an iPad version 2 or higher (iPad 1 is not supported) and will cost the same as the PC version, $10. It will be the complete game, including the new Advanced Edition content, and will not have any in-app purchases. We are proud to say that the iPad version is a true equivalent to the PC in the experience it provides, which is why we are price matching to the PC version

Majukun

Ilúvatar;106796783 said:
Copying this from my post in Gaming...

sensor makes you see the rooms of the enemy ships at lv 2..at 3 i think you can see the energy of each system

with the door,the lv 2 gives you reinforced doors,the third one gives you fireproof doors if i remember correcty

anyway..tried a run at normal,and unsurprisingly the game is kicking my ass..i didn't play this game for a while..tried the new ship with the new race,it's interesting and really useful against boarding crews,but it's kinda complicated if you have a mixed race crew,since all the rooms where they are are without oxygen.
also tried the hacking system,it's really good but kinda limited at the first level

Mindlog

Cool, now there are Anti-Ship Battery on planets!
Speaking of... It didn't take long. An ASB killed my entire boarding party. Three Crystals and a Mantis. All had max melee combat training. All dead.

Haven't finished my first game yet. The new changes and soundtrack have been top notch so far. Excellent update.
Also, farming rebel ships for score is a little more difficult now. Great change there!

Does anyone know if the update messes up mods? I only run visual ones (better planets and backgrounds and a weapon reskin one) but I guess I'll disable everything and play advanced vanilla for a while.

Edit: Mods installed via the Slipstream Mod Manager don't work and cause the game to crash upon loading. Play vanilla for now until the mod manager gets an update.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
Well, 3 times I've gotten to the boss with the new content. 3 times I've lost thanks to the new additions. On the last run I thought I was playing smart by taking out all the crew during the second stage except for the laser guy. A couple minutes into the third stage my pilot is taken out of commission just in time for 3 lasers to knock out my shields and a power surge to set fire to half my ship and take me from half health to 1.

O.DOGG

I'll try this new expansion starting tomorrow. Was too busy with Dark Souls to want to play anything else. But now that I'm done with that particular playthrough I can turn my attention to FTL. Looking forward to it.

Does anyone know if the update messes up mods? I only run visual ones (better planets and backgrounds and a weapon reskin one) but I guess I'll disable everything and play advanced vanilla for a while.

Edit: Mods installed via the Slipstream Mod Manager don't work and cause the game to crash upon loading. Play vanilla for now until the mod manager gets an update.

Not my experience. I used my custom background mod (a combination of HD Planets and Better Planets) and it worked without a hitch.

Did my first playthrough on advanced with the new ship on easy to try and get a feel for the new systems

Do hacking drones not get picked up by the drone arm?

Mindlog

My Descent Into Darkness modded version crashed hard. Even after uninstalling it. Something has been left behind that I need to root out. Had to install to a different folder to get it to work. Haven't tried it with my old visual mods yet.
Not my experience. I used my custom background mod (a combination of HD Planets and Better Planets) and it worked without a hitch.
Did you use the mod manager to install them? I believe that's what may be doing it.

Vlad

Do hacking drones not get picked up by the drone arm?

It doesn't seem so.

Still getting a feel for all the new systems. Played a little bit with the new ship, and played around with having the two Lannius guys as a boarding party. While they don't do as much damage as the Mantis, the oxygen drain can be pretty devastating, especially with two of them in the same room. Dropping them in a full room then hacking it so that the enemy can't escape the sudden indoor vacuum is pretty neat.

Woorloog

Banned
It doesn't seem so.

Still getting a feel for all the new systems. Played a little bit with the new ship, and played around with having the two Lannius guys as a boarding party. While they don't do as much damage as the Mantis, the oxygen drain can be pretty devastating, especially with two of them in the same room. Dropping them in a full room then hacking it so that the enemy can't escape the sudden indoor vacuum is pretty neat.

You what's the biggest deal with lannius? You can't suffocate them. I often use updgraded doors to keep enemy at bay and just evacuate all the air... Then i get some lannius on my ship. Welp, gotta get people to fight them, except, you know, they're suffocating there...
I often don't have enough crew for fighting so i'm forced to suffocate invaders. If i have the teleport system, then i of course try to get more crew and train them in combat.
The mind control system is so damn great for me...

Vlad

You what's the biggest deal with lannius? You can't suffocate them. I often use updgraded doors to keep enemy at bay and just evacuate all the air... Then i get some lannius on my ship. Welp, gotta get people to fight them, except, you know, they're suffocating there...
I often don't have enough crew for fighting so i'm forced to suffocate invaders. If i have the teleport system, then i of course try to get more crew and train them in combat.
The mind control system is so damn great for me...

Yeah, being boarded by the Lannius is kind of rough. Getting them in a room that can hold three or four people and outnumbering them seems to be the best bet.

My Descent Into Darkness modded version crashed hard. Even after uninstalling it. Something has been left behind that I need to root out. Had to install to a different folder to get it to work. Haven't tried it with my old visual mods yet.

Did you use the mod manager to install them? I believe that's what may be doing it.

Yep, latest version of Slipstream Mod Manager. Worked like a charm.

Yep, latest version of Slipstream Mod Manager. Worked like a charm.

Hmm, when I tried it, I

1)ran Slipstream without checking the boxes for the mods I wanted to install, to force the vanilla resource.dat, then
2)ran it again with only Better Planets and Backgrounds checked.

When I started the game, the loading bar would fill up, then crash to desktop when it got full. Even just doing step 1 has the same effect. I'm on OSX mavericks and play FTL via Steam with the latest version of Slipstream. I'll check again, but I suspect that since there are backgrounds that have new effects (background rebels shooting at you, ion pulse stars), the background mod might not be compatible. I'll try messing around with the mod again.

EDIT-

I think I fixed everything. I deleted everything in the backup folder located in the Slipstream mod folder. Reinstalled FTL, applied the Better Planets and Backgrounds mod and FTL is up and running!

I was rushing to sector 8 with the Red Tail just unlock Kestrel C and I accidentally ended unlocking the Stealth Cruiser too! The funny thing is every time I tried to unlock it before I didn't get the events and this time I wasn't even paying attention.

I'm liking the new weapons, one of my favorites so far is a laser that can cause hull damage and there is the Chain Laser as you keep shooting the time to recharge lessen.

O.DOGG

So I tried playing with my favorite ship - the stealth cruiser, got to the boss, beat him twice (though how do you deal with the hacking drones??), and then a combination of my guns missing (yeah, same old story), enemy mind control and the super shield screwed me over. Damn, it seems like you absolutely need drones and mind control systems now, huh?

I think I fixed everything. I deleted everything in the backup folder located in the Slipstream mod folder. Reinstalled FTL, applied the Better Planets and Backgrounds mod and FTL is up and running!

Ahhh, that might be it, since my Slipstream was indeed a clean install. Glad to know it worked for you! :)

Vlad

So I tried playing with my favorite ship - the stealth cruiser, got to the boss, beat him twice (though how do you deal with the hacking drones??), and then a combination of my guns missing (yeah, same old story), enemy mind control and the super shield screwed me over. Damn, it seems like you absolutely need drones and mind control systems now, huh?

Yeah, I do wonder about how well balanced some of these systems are. As far as I can tell, once you've got a hacking drone on your ship, it's going to be there for the rest of the fight. You can disable it by knocking out the hacking system on the enemy ship, but other than that, you've just got to deal with it.

Mind control seems much the same way. It looks like you can't use it on slugs, but otherwise it's just a matter of just having to deal with it.

Yeah, I do wonder about how well balanced some of these systems are. As far as I can tell, once you've got a hacking drone on your ship, it's going to be there for the rest of the fight. You can disable it by knocking out the hacking system on the enemy ship, but other than that, you've just got to deal with it.

Mind control seems much the same way. It looks like you can't use it on slugs, but otherwise it's just a matter of just having to deal with it.

The slugs are immune to mind control, and a combination of Hacking System + Mind Control can wreck your crew very fast.

Mindlog

I like the way mind control and hacking force me to adapt. The systems or crew they target can really force your tactics. When possible to deal with mind control I micro another crewmate to keep running through the vulnerable system. This minimizes damage to the actual system. I also learned the hard way to put an extra point into Oxygen. If it gets hacked it's important to pump as much fresh air as possible between hacks.

In Vanilla FTL I almost always bought Weapons Pre-Ignitor (for obvious reasons) and Stealth Weapons. Reconstructive Teleport has joined that tier of augment for me. It's so good. Zoltan Shield Bypass is up there as well. The way many of the new items are meant to subvert or tweak the older systems is fantastic.

Top Bottom