• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FTL |OT| Stories of the Space Oregon Trail

Thank you to everyone who have given me tips! I randomly decided to show my friend FTL last night after a bit of a Dr. Who marathon. I put it on Easy to show it off a bit more, and an hour and a half later I had the game beaten. First time I'd beaten it, and I felt like I deserved a grand parade. I was absolutely man-handling ships using the Federation Cruiser (I believe is the name), but that final ship was nuts. I was afraid to run away to get repairs done---unsure if consequences?) so I kept chasing. By the third fight, I had a little less than a quarter of my life left. It felt like a Hollywood movie---it came down to the boss and I, each with 1 hull left. I had a missile seconds from finishing charge, and if it missed, I was done. The moment came....3....2...1....fired off, hit his shield room and that was that.

Favorite new weapon I'd never used? The Breach Drone. Holy shite, that thing was awesome.

Thank you to everyone who have given me tips! I randomly decided to show my friend FTL last night after a bit of a Dr. Who marathon. I put it on Easy to show it off a bit more, and an hour and a half later I had the game beaten. First time I'd beaten it, and I felt like I deserved a grand parade. I was absolutely man-handling ships using the Federation Cruiser (I believe is the name), but that final ship was nuts. I was afraid to run away to get repairs done---unsure if consequences?) so I kept chasing. By the third fight, I had a little less than a quarter of my life left. It felt like a Hollywood movie---it came down to the boss and I, each with 1 hull left. I had a missile seconds from finishing charge, and if it missed, I was done. The moment came....3....2...1....fired off, hit his shield room and that was that.

Favorite new weapon I'd never used? The Breach Drone. Holy shite, that thing was awesome.

Congrats Buddy :)

FTL is a very challenging game but well worth the effort to learn the strategies and such

Super high replayability factor

I've probably sunk over 130 hours into that game :p

OTIX

My god, I just had the scrappiest win ever. Was playing on hard with the Kestrel A and it was a terrible run the whole way with minimal weapons and resources. When I reached the boss the only weaponry I had was the BL2, a Pike Beam, a Small Bomb with 6 missiles left and hacking lv2. My only crew were 3 humans and an engi. I didn't think I had a chance in hell.

The only possibility was to hack the shields and then try to punch through, using only a couple bombs on each phase. On phase 2 I had to spam the hack until it finally got past the defense drone with only a few drone parts left. On phase 3 they still had the whole crew left alive to board me so I had to vent the ship and retreat to the medbay. My drone system was destroyed so I was hit by every missile volley. Almost every system was red but somehow the shields and weapons were still up. Bombs ran out but it was just barely enough to get the win.

I finally won with Mantis B! My boarding crew was wrecking everything. The only weapons I had were Hull Laser I and II, Breach Bomb II, Boarding Drone, and Defense Drone I. I even killed all the Mothership crew and activated the AI for kicks and still won. And I finally unlocked the Slug ship, which was the only ship I was missing.

Also, regarding a random event: one event involves Engies being infected with a virus. I encountered an enemy Engie ship whose crew was all infected, and I had sent my Engie aboard to talk to them (blue option). Suddenly my Engie dies, and I have to fight the ship. When I win, the virus reconstructs my Engie and powers him up! All his stats became maxed out and he got renamed to Virus. I had never seen this event before, and it happened twice to me in my run!

raindoc

Beat this for the first time last night, on easy (didn't think that would ever get me so excited again). I had only two human crew members (lost my engineer halfway through the run and never was able to replace him), but a system repair and defensive drone. Ion bomb and burst laser II took care of enemy shields, then I used the cleave beam on as many rooms as possible. Always had gotten my ass hkicked by the second flagship-encounter, this time the third battle almost got threatening...
Time to unlock some new ships.

ameratsu

yay. first lanus ship victory on normal

EU4sCKU.jpg

sorry for the colour, had flux running

Damn, that Lanius cruiser looks awesome. I need one. I played another round the other night with the Adjudicator and lost in sector 8 at form 2 of the final ship. My best weapon was a missile, and I couldn't get past a missile defense drone. I teleported guys over to fight it from inside, but spent way too long until I realized I needed to do that, so I was a wreck by the time it clicked. My strategy with the Adjudicator was to make a boarding party run, since the crew members explode when they die. It didn't go as well as I hoped...A rock/mantis combo still seems to work best for me.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I have become terrible over time, and the new expansion while awesome, is too hard for me now :(

I used to be so good, what happened.

EvaristeG

Banned
So I finally managed to reach Sector 6/final boss. For some reason at some point I'd always miss enemies. Is it because I kept the default weapons during my whole run ?

So I finally managed to reach Sector 6/final boss. For some reason at some point I'd always miss enemies. Is it because I kept the default weapons during my whole run ?

A few default weapons are actually really good (Burst Laser Mk II, halberd beam, etc) but I think the problem is that enemy ships in later sectors have a high evasion rate, and Defense Drone Mk II can shoot down lasers as well as missiles. You need to take out the cockpit or engine rooms if it's a big problem.

Oh, and the final boss is in Sector 8, not 6 :)

EvaristeG

Banned
A few default weapons are actually really good (Burst Laser Mk II, halberd beam, etc) but I think the problem is that enemy ships in later sectors have a high evasion rate, and Defense Drone Mk II can shoot down lasers as well as missiles. You need to take out the cockpit or engine rooms if it's a big problem.

Oh, and the final boss is in Sector 8, not 6 :)

Thanks. I usually never targe engines/pilot, so that must be it.

Also, Rebel Flagship isn't the final boss ?

Anyway, I fell in love with this game. What I like the most about it is the writing and sense of adventure. The soundtrack is also excellent.

Thanks. I usually never targe engines/pilot, so that must be it.

Also, Rebel Flagship isn't the final boss ?

Anyway, I fell in love with this game. What I like the most about it is the writing and sense of adventure. The soundtrack is also excellent.

Rebel Flagship is the final boss, but it's not in Sector 6. You start in Sector 1, then jump to 7 different sectors.

Map.jpg

Got to the final form last night---lost. Was so close....soooo close.

Same thing tonight. Dammit....I just can't seem to find a good way to dig through someone's shields. I literally squash everyone else along the way---and even the first two forms of final ship hardly scratched me. Last form? Beat me ass. I even had an anti-person drone that was dealing with intruders. But I couldn't penetrate the shields, and was picked apart.

I'm trying to reach sector 8 (Normal) with several layout B's to unlock C's and having mixed results; I must be out of shape. Most recently I died early twice with the Stealth B. Love it though, "glass cannon" indeed. I truly love those "focused concept" kinds of ship. So fun slicing ships in two with a single alpha strike.

In fact, one of the subtle masterstrokes of the Advanced Edition was to give you a reason to play the B Layouts. I admit I didn't play them much after unlocking them, as I was always focused on unlocking the next B layout. (we now need an incentive to play the C layouts. :D)

Got to the final form last night---lost. Was so close....soooo close.

Same thing tonight. Dammit....I just can't seem to find a good way to dig through someone's shields. I literally squash everyone else along the way---and even the first two forms of final ship hardly scratched me. Last form? Beat me ass. I even had an anti-person drone that was dealing with intruders. But I couldn't penetrate the shields, and was picked apart.

That is the number one problem when dealing with the boss, actually. You have to be prepared to chew through its four shields, one way or the other. This usually means straight firepower, or bombs and a good supply of missiles, although other creative methods exist (and are part of the fun of the game :) ).

That is the number one problem when dealing with the boss, actually. You have to be prepared to chew through its four shields, one way or the other. This usually means straight firepower, or bombs and a good supply of missiles, although other creative methods exist (and are part of the fun of the game :) ).
I finally one again! I absolutely destroyed the final ship this time. He didn't touch my hull at all with the first 2 forms. My strategy? Screw defense. I only had 2 shields (though I guess my engines were maxed out). I had 2 Burst Laser IIs, a Heavy Laser, and a Flak Missile II. I unleashed my wrath like no other.

But I tried again after with the Adjudicator. I like the ship, but I had bad luck over and over again at stores with little to no good weapons. I eventually was picked apart by ships I couldn't penetrate. About to fire up and try again tonight.

*ADDED LATER*
Just tried again....I can't tell if I suck with the Adjudicator, or I have the shittiest luck. I got to Sector 8, but regular ship killed me on the way to final boss. Every single store had shit for weapons. And I had not a single event where I got a recruit. I knew I had no chance of surviving, but was stubborn and kept going. Waste of an hour. Fuck me.

I finally one again! I absolutely destroyed the final ship this time. He didn't touch my hull at all with the first 2 forms. My strategy? Screw defense. I only had 2 shields (though I guess my engines were maxed out). I had 2 Burst Laser IIs, a Heavy Laser, and a Flak Missile II. I unleashed my wrath like no other.

But I tried again after with the Adjudicator. I like the ship, but I had bad luck over and over again at stores with little to no good weapons. I eventually was picked apart by ships I couldn't penetrate. About to fire up and try again tonight.

*ADDED LATER*
Just tried again....I can't tell if I suck with the Adjudicator, or I have the shittiest luck. I got to Sector 8, but regular ship killed me on the way to final boss. Every single store had shit for weapons. And I had not a single event where I got a recruit. I knew I had no chance of surviving, but was stubborn and kept going. Waste of an hour. Fuck me.

I've also had horrible luck with the Adjudicator. I've played it for at least 15 hours, but I haven't beaten Normal Mode yet.

I've also had horrible luck with the Adjudicator. I've played it for at least 15 hours, but I haven't beaten Normal Mode yet.
I just finally got it done! I had a very good luck streak---I found 2 crew members in just the first sector. I still couldn't find great weapons, but my Teleport + Clone Bay + Cloak was stupendous. It was a very, very slow battle---but I systematically tore about the final ship. I actually killed all crew in the final form. Now I have two new ships I get to play with....one with some funky oxygen-hating silver dudes.

LordAlu

It seems FTL was patched today. Anyone has a clue what was changed? I'm searching the official forums but I'm not seeing anything.
Patch notes are on their forums:

http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=24615

FTL website is struggling today though, so here's the rundown:

Version 1.5.13
• Drone lists should properly work for blue options in events
• Defense Drones will be able to target all flak weaponry
• Fixed: Charge Weapons could find themselves in a state where they were unable to fire
• Fixed: Combat Drones would not be able to fire if the drone system was hacked (even with the pulse inactive).
• Fixed: Some pre-version 1.5.12 saves would not load.
• Fixed: Charge Weapons would sometimes have problems when continuing from a saved game
• A few more text edits and event script errors fixed

I'm slowly but surely unlock C ships. Anyone got any favorite C ships? Advanced Edition is still hard on Normal, barely making it to the final sector.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
I'm bumping this thread just to say : THIS GAME ROCKS!

Bought during the last Steam sales, tried it this week-end and I'm hooked as fuck!

I managed to finish the game on easy with the first ship on my third try, I don't know if I was lucky or if I'm just good at the game but I just want to keep playing.

I basically crushed the last boss with an Attack Drone II, two Burst Laser II, the missile you got at the start and the Hull Laser. I had 4 shields so that was easy.

Bought during the last Steam sales, tried it this week-end and I'm hooked as fuck!

I managed to finish the game on easy with the first ship on my third try, I don't know if I was lucky or if I'm just good at the game but I just want to keep playing.

I basically crushed the last boss with an Attack Drone II, two Burst Laser II, the missile you got at the start and the Hull Laser. I had 4 shields so that was easy.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the game! Now beat it with a different ship. :)

Mindlog

Congratulations! You're just getting started :]

I'm personally waiting for this to be released on Android so I can justify buying an Android tablet, but at this rate I might be waiting for a long time, or forever...

I'm pretty sure this isn't happening. Here's a quote from an email I got from them as of 2 days ago.

It's looking unlikely that there will be an Android port at this time, but it's something we're still considering. Sorry to disappoint!

If anything just pick up an iPad. I actually think the iPad version is better then the PC version.

O.DOGG

I'm pretty sure this isn't happening. Here's a quote from an email I got from them as of 2 days ago.

If anything just pick up an iPad. I actually think the iPad version is better then the PC version.

But how can that be? I haven't tried the iPad version yet but I only game on the PC. I may try it now.

But how can that be? I haven't tried the iPad version yet but I only game on the PC. I may try it now.

Comfort is really what makes me enjoy it more. Just being able to play on an iPad mini in my bed is awesome.

Functionality wise I really like the option to auto pausing after actions, and the ability to move lasers around once you place them.

I'm not much of an Apple fan, I'm afraid. For now I'll skip on buying a tablet entirely...

Comfort is really what makes me enjoy it more. Just being able to play on an iPad mini in my bed is awesome.

Functionality wise I really like the option to auto pausing after actions, and the ability to move lasers around once you place them.

Sorry, what's the second one? I'm assuming you don't mean swapping weapons around (which is on the PC version), right?

Nikodemos

After an enormous amount of time, I've gone back and picked up my Kruos save. Managed to beat the flagship via the good ol' "Attack of the (Mantis) Clones" (guest starring Cloaking, Fire Bomb and Hacking). And a tiny bit of cheezing (the triple laser guy was the loneliest bastard on that ship).

Now I'm torn between Gila Monster and Bulwark.

Ah, like dragging the beam lines' ends and such, I see.

Yeh, once you draw a beam you can move it around in case you goofed up on where you put it. Saves you from redrawing them over and over. Also I'm just noticing, it seems like the PC version doesn't let you set autofire on individual weapons, where on the iPad version you can set auto fire on every weapon individually.

Edit: Whoops, just looks like you have to hold ctrl to autofire.

Nikodemos

Also I'm just noticing, it seems like the PC version doesn't let you set autofire on individual weapons
Yes it does. Select the weapon and Ctrl-click.

Oh, and the whole beam redrawing isn't very important on PC, since it's easier/faster/more precise to redo it with the mouse. On a tablet you have to fingerpaint the beam position, making redrawing from click a hassle.

Yes it does. Select the weapon and Ctrl-click.

Oh, and the whole beam redrawing isn't very important on PC, since it's easier/faster/more precise to redo it with the mouse. On a tablet you have to fingerpaint the beam position, making redrawing from click a hassle.

Just about to jump in and edit this about the autofire on weapons. I never played the PC version until I got my tablet so I'm a little new to it.

Nikodemos

Amazing how useful a Hull Repair Drone is. If you're playing anything other than Engi, you're likely to have quite a few drone parts in your inventory that you aren't using. Converting a drone part into 3-5 hull points is a pretty good trade.

Also, has it ever occured to you that you have such an abundance of choices you aren't really sure what to pick?

Finalow

1 year+ bump, no news or anything, just me jumping back into the game. and that's because I realized that a) I never finished it on normal and b) I never unlocked that fucking crystal ship.
so I spent 30 more hours or so, I unlocked the crystal ship with rock C (which is a much less annoying method) and finally finished the game on normal with a couple of new ships. in order to do that I basically decided to ''get good'' at the game, and it was clear after how many mistakes I was making or how much knowledge I was lacking when I could only finish the game on easy. if you're interested to improve your game I'd recommend to watch this video, or to just watch LethalFrag play the game. I'm pretty sure with something like 1400 hours he's one of the best FTL players around, if not the best. you also realize that if you're good enough at the game, you can get a win (or at least reach the final boss) almost every run, even on hard.

still such a great game. never getting tired of the top-notch music or the replayability, I can see myself easily get to the 200 hours mark if I ever decide to go for hard or no-pause (or both) runs. sucks that the devs have no intention to do a sequel or any more expansions, but I can see the reasons behind that.

inky

*checks subscriptions*

FTL thread is bumped?!

*reads*

Oh... damn. ;P

One of my favorite games ever. Still bummed there won't be a sequel. I would've liked to see stuff like boarding space stations, larger ships, new races/weapons, etc. Oh well.

Finalow

One of my favorite games ever. Still bummed there won't be a sequel. I would've liked to see stuff like boarding space stations, larger ships, new races/weapons, etc. Oh well.
indeed, there was a lot of potential for a much bigger/expanded sequel.
I can see my bump bringing disappointment to whoever checks the thread, apologies. :p

Top Bottom