• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FTL |OT| Stories of the Space Oregon Trail

Kenaras

Speaking of Hacking against the boss, I tried out the tactic of hacking the shields to lock the doors leading to and from the cockpit. Worked like a charm; my boarding party was able to kill the pilot before help arrived, then kill the two guys they sent to fight. (After they break through the hacked door and try to fight, the door locks again behind them, preventing them from escaping to the Medbay.) In all, this tactic allows you to simultaneously destroy the Piloting to prevent all evasion, hack the Shields to prevent recharging, and kill three crew members. Teleport back to heal, then rinse and repeat.

I also managed to fix my FTL installation and get Mind Control working properly. It seems I'm the only person who suffered from it, but just in case someone else runs into it: I solved it by deleting settings.ini in the Steam FTL installation directory. Using the "Delete Local Game Content" from within Steam didn't work, and neither did deleting my saved game.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Speaking of Hacking against the boss, I tried out the tactic of hacking the shields to lock the doors leading to and from the cockpit. Worked like a charm; my boarding party was able to kill the pilot before help arrived, then kill the two guys they sent to fight. (After they break through the hacked door and try to fight, the door locks again behind them, preventing them from escaping to the Medbay.) In all, this tactic allows you to simultaneously destroy the Piloting to prevent all evasion, hack the Shields to prevent recharging, and kill three crew members. Teleport back to heal, then rinse and repeat.

I used the same strategy except against the Med Bay and Oxygen rooms. I guess the good part about the Flagship hacking your hacking is that when they activate the disruption they kill your hacking drone, meaning you get the option to hack a new room depending on how their guys are spread out.

Haly

His strategy is so narrow he barely makes it but it's pretty funny once they get going. He was on the edge losing to phase 3 because ZOLTAN SHIELD FUCKS HACKING.

Mindlog

I also managed to fix my FTL installation and get Mind Control working properly. It seems I'm the only person who suffered from it, but just in case someone else runs into it: I solved it by deleting settings.ini in the Steam FTL installation directory. Using the "Delete Local Game Content" from within Steam didn't work, and neither did deleting my saved game.
I've been getting it in the DRM free version. Then again I have both installed. I'll try cleaning that up. I've been able to reproduce it very frequently in asteroid fields.

Kenaras

I've been getting it in the DRM free version. Then again I have both installed. I'll try cleaning that up. I've been able to reproduce it very frequently in asteroid fields.

For me, the bug occurred 100% of the time. Prior to deleting that file, I never saw Mind Control work correctly even once. Hence why I didn't even realize it was a bug until I tried discussing Mind Control on this forum.

Just played through with the Lanius Ship A

Using 2 lanius as my boarding party with mind control and hacking combined with reconstructive teleportation?

I am cheating at FTL and the RNG gods are not going to be pleased, not pleased at all 0_0

Haly

Reconstructive Teleportation is one of the most broke augmentations in the game.

Mindlog

Damn game. I beat it back to back on hard then dropped back to easy trying to replicate that bug. Using Rock C I set personal bests for Crew Hired - 18, Beacons Explored - 115, and Scrap Collected - 3181.

Bump it back up to normal and I'm getting stomped.
Nope. It's perfectly fine! Especially on a four-person teleport pad ships :p
It still amuses me when I teleport my ship side crew to the enemy ship just to heal them.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
The game is still taunting me with that ever elusive crystal cruiser. Went through the first sector with Rock A maybe 10 times, give or take a couple. Get to the end of the sector and discover that the sector generation didn't even give me a chance to hit the right sector types for the random events. I did manage to unlock Rock B however.

Played a few rounds of Rock B. Again I had several runs stalled at sector 1 because of the sector generation. On my 3rd attempt I got a sector map that looked like a possibility. First jump was into engi homeworlds where I managed to pick up the stasis pod. Managed to hit a zoltan sector after that but didn't manage to find the right beacon to wake up my crystal dude. Was about to restart over again, but decided to just go for the boss instead. I'd found a weapon pre-igniter earlier and two jumps into sector 5 and I had a brand new glaive beam to go with it and an ion bomb. Had a bit of trouble with the zerg rush of teleporters on the final boss, but I managed to take them out with only one loss to a super charged mind controlled rockman. Had lots of fires started on my ship, but I think I took 4 damage total through all 3 stages of the final boss thanks to a combination of cloak and rock armor.

Rock C was unlocked by the win. Time to unlock crystal the easy way! Don't need it, but manage to grab the stasis pod and wake up a second crystal dude. Check 5 hostile sectors after sector 5. No Rock Homeworld. FTL is trolling me.

So does anyone else restart if they get a bad hand in the first half of the first sector?

Like if the first 4 jumps are duds, you get rocked, or my biggest pet peeve you get a store in like the first 3 jumps and it's all like oh isn't that a nice augmentation, if I had the SCRAP!

O.DOGG

So does anyone else restart if they get a bad hand in the first half of the first sector?

Like if the first 4 jumps are duds, you get rocked, or my biggest pet peeve you get a store in like the first 3 jumps and it's all like oh isn't that a nice augmentation, if I had the SCRAP!

Sure, that's part of the strategy when playing FTL. If you're only a few jumps in and things are not going well, might as well start over. The first few sectors are crucial in building a ship that's more likely to survive.

Fjordson

Absolutely, I've done that quite a bit.

As O.DOGG said, I think it's part of the strategy. If my first sector is shitty or even the beginning of my second I just restart.

I might be the odd guy that doesn't usually restart a run even if it's not stellar. It still feels a bit like cheating to me. Also, FTL and roguelikes in general are all about being able to keep calm and manage crisis efficiently, so a hard start is good experience (I take every single run in a roguelike as accumulating experience, perhaps that's why they're not frustrating to me). If you get used to restarting when things go south, you don't have the know-how to to deal with bad situations in the latter sectors.

I also feel like each run is unique. There's something fundamentally wrong about nipping bad runs in the bud; it's as if you were skewing the population of a poll or something. Of course, this is my two cents; everyone can and should play the way they get the most enjoyment out of the game. :)

I might be the odd guy that doesn't usually restart a run even if it's not stellar. It still feels a bit like cheating to me. Also, FTL and roguelikes in general are all about being able to keep calm and manage crisis efficiently, so a hard start is good experience (I take every single run in a roguelike as accumulating experience, perhaps that's why they're not frustrating to me). If you get used to restarting when things go south, you don't have the know-how to to deal with bad situations in the latter sectors.

I also feel like each run is unique. There's something fundamentally wrong about nipping bad runs in the bud; it's as if you were skewing the population of a poll or something. Of course, this is my two cents; everyone can and should play the way they get the most enjoyment out of the game. :)

Hmm I only started restarting in the first sector after I had beaten the game a few times so accumulating experience really wasn't an issue for me

I do feel though that in a way it's less faithful to the true FTL experience but honestly I find the first sector to be a tad boring anyways simply due to how low powered both your ship and opposing ships are

In other news I am in sector 5 of my 3rd hard run :)

Maybe I'll win this time lol

Mindlog

Good luck! I hope you haven't spoiled anything for yourself ;]

I believe I finally found the source of my small problem. It was the missing 3rd install of FTL I had. Uninstalled the mods and then erased that install. Now perhaps I can take over ships using Mind Control in asteroid belts without the last guy destroying everything.

Good luck! I hope you haven't spoiled anything for yourself ;]

I know there's something new/different if you beat on hard or something but not on what it is

I'm at work as I had to leave my FTL at the beginning of Sector 5 then save/quit :\

It's just sitting there at home waiting for me to make some small mistake and ruin everything lol

I believe I finally found the source of my small problem. It was the missing 3rd install of FTL I had. Uninstalled the mods and then erased that install. Now perhaps I can take over ships using Mind Control in asteroid belts without the last guy destroying everything.

That sounds like an interesting bug lol

My steam copy seems to have updated fine, but I haven't tried updating my GOG copy yet

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member

Second jump and lost a crew member to giant alien spiders. Time to restart. Gettin giant alien spiders that early is just a bad omen for the entire run. :D

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
lol if FTL teaches all its players one thing, NEVER go against giant spiders without a blue option

Holy crap! There are blue options for that event?! Haha, I've never seen those before. I don't use ship board drones and I've only twice had an anti-bio beam.

Holy crap! There are blue options for that event?! Haha, I've never seen those before. I don't use ship board drones and I've only twice had an anti-bio beam.

lol only had blue options maybe twice? in like 40 times of getting the event

From FTL Wiki said:
(Anti-Personnel Drone) Send your battle drone in to help. [ Drone parts: -1 ]

(Boarding Drone) Launch a boarding drone into the station. [ Drone parts: -1 ]

(Bio-Beam) Use the beam to pick off the spiders.

Edit: Deleted rewards and event description to not ruin it for anyone :)

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
I finally unlocked the crystal ship! I had to jump to almost every beacon in the rock homeworld to find the entrance to the crystal sector, but I made it. Celebrated by making a mad dash for the boss afterwards and absolutely wrecking face with a Vulcan + Glaive + Reconstructive Teleport.

I finally unlocked the crystal ship! I had to jump to almost every beacon in the rock homeworld to find the entrance to the crystal sector, but I made it. Celebrated by making a mad dash for the boss afterwards and absolutely wrecking face with a Vulcan + Glaive + Reconstructive Teleport.

Congrats :)

Getting the crystal ship is the most frustrating thing but also the most rewarding

O.DOGG

Congrats :)

Getting the crystal ship is the most frustrating thing but also the most rewarding

Yup. I didn't get it until after I've been playing the game for more than a year but once I did... man! And the Crystal B is a monster of a ship once you unlock it.

Oh man... I just blew up an Engi ship with both my raiding parties on board...I feel so stupid.... My whole.... I mean.... Two Mantis and two Rockmen dead... Because.... :'(

And I had both a Weapon Pre-Ignite and a Scrap Arm! It was going to be such a beautiful run!

Vlad

Oh man... I just blew up an Engi ship with both my raiding parties on board...I feel so stupid.... My whole.... I mean.... Two Mantis and two Rockmen dead... Because.... :'(

And I had both a Weapon Pre-Ignite and a Scrap Arm! It was going to be such a beautiful run!

This is why I always invest in the Clone Bay whenever I'm doing a boarder-centric run. It's annoying not being able to heal after every fight, but not having to worry about replacing crew members is awesome.

For those of you that have been playing with the Better Backgrounds / HD Planets mods, you probably noticed that the new pulsar star sticks out like a sore thumb:
2014-04-07_00004.jpg

2014-04-07_00001.jpg

So I made it my goal to make a pulsar that is at least comparable to those beautiful backgrounds. Here's the results; I think it turned out not half bad.

I've uploaded it as a standalone mod here:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwgV6PdDgkbBSjVWVEttVDZEUTA
If the pulsar's size is too big for your taste, you can simply rename the .ftl as a.zip and resize the images. I think it's cooler at that size, as it's supposed to be a threat because of its proximity (plus it matches the huge nova from the aforementioned mods as well).

Thanks Weltall!

The real Faster Than Light starts here.

Woorloog

Banned
This is why I always invest in the Clone Bay whenever I'm doing a boarder-centric run. It's annoying not being able to heal after every fight, but not having to worry about replacing crew members is awesome.

I don't find the cloning bay mandatory, pre-AE it was quite possible to play without it after all. More important is to make sure you don't shoot unless absolutely necessary. And don't board in asteroid fields, or near stars (fires can destroy systems and system damage causes/can cause hull damage).

Also, the cloning bay is kind of bad in early game, if you start sacrificing your people because "no matter, i get them back" as it drains their skills rather fast with repeat deaths.

We all did it at least one time.

ameratsu

So i approached some vendor, docked his ship with mine to trade, then sabotaged it and attacked me when i didn't buy anything. :/

Devs are just mean sometimes.

KKRT00

I spent half a day yesterday playing Kestrel on normal and couldnt get to a boss sector.
Its definitely harder with expansion than it used to be. Probably because AI is smarter now and there is more random, like once i got to end of sector 4 and only got one item drop in the whole game.

Any good normal Kestrel playthrough from expansion on youtube/twitch? Or should i just farm other ships on Easy, because kestrel sucks?

I would love to have custom difficulty, because Normal is quite hard and can be very random with RNG, where Easy is just too easy ;\

I spent half a day yesterday playing Kestrel on normal and couldnt get to a boss sector.
Its definitely harder with expansion than it used to be. Probably because AI is smarter now and there is more random, like once i got to end of sector 4 and only got one item drop in the whole game.

Any good normal Kestrel playthrough from expansion on youtube/twitch? Or should i just farm other ships on Easy, because kestrel sucks?

B-but the Kestrel is one of the best ships... It starts with one of, if not the, best weapon in the game.

I would love to have custom difficulty, because Normal is quite hard and can be very random with RNG, where Easy is just too easy ;\

You know, I agree. There's too big of a gap between Normal and Easy now.

Mindlog

Kestrel is a pretty good ship. I have my second highest score with it (North of 6000.) I agree that normal can be very hard. Depending on playstyles some ships are easier than others. I really like Crystal B.

My latest normal run with the Lanius B was really weird. Made it to Sector 6 or 7 with basically the starting weapons, cloak and stealth weapons. Had to choose between Zoltan Homeworld and Engie sectors. I normally avoid the Zoltan at all times, but advanced flak and my boarding crew took me there. Then this happened.
With a weapons Pre-Igniter @_@
I've never had a ship jump up in power so quickly. That much flak has a profound effect on enemy ships.
*Weird things you notice while playing. Buying the battery backup to power clone bays when needed is one of those obvious things that took me too long to put into practice.

My latest normal run with the Lanius B was really weird. Made it to Sector 6 or 7 with basically the starting weapons, cloak and stealth weapons. Had to choose between Zoltan Homeworld and Engie sectors. I normally avoid the Zoltan at all times, but advanced flak and my boarding crew took me there. Then this happened.

With a weapons Pre-Igniter @_@
I've never had a ship jump up in power so quickly. That much flak has a profound effect on enemy ships.
*Weird things you notice while playing. Buying the battery backup to power clone bays when needed is one of those obvious thing that took me too long to put into practice.

Wow that's a crazy amount of flak instantly in a fight. I love the new flak weapons personally and even find them a tad overpowered

Lanius B type is my favorite ship so far for Hard mode

Nikodemos

I need a second opinion regarding weapons loadout on my latest run. I've got an Anti-Bio Beam, Chain Ion, Burst Laser Mk.II and Flak Mk.II. What would be the optimum combo (since I can only reliably power three of them at any given time)? I also have Lvl.2 Cloak.

I need a second opinion regarding weapons loadout on my latest run. I've got an Anti-Bio Beam, Chain Ion, Burst Laser Mk.II and Flak Mk.II. What would be the optimum combo (since I can only reliably power three of them at any given time)? I also have Lvl.2 Cloak.

Flak Lvl 2 is immensely powerful but takes forever to charge, Burst laser MK II is pound for pound the best laser weapon for the cost.

I would go maybe Chain Ion, Burst Laser Mk.II and Flak Mk.II? Anti-Bio weapon is powerful at killing enemy personnel but useless against drone ships etc.

If you can keep all 4 then maybe open up with Chain Ion, Burst Laser Mk.II, and anti-bio weapon against man-helmed ships? Then upon cloaking switch to Flak II so that its given ample time to charge?

Top Bottom