• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Full Motion video battle: Square Enix vs Blizzard

Gattsu25

Banned
wow...Element seems to have a thing for Square...

Warcraft movies would probably be more impressive to me if I actually liked warcraft, but I did enjoy Diablo II's cinemas...not as much as the various Square CG work, however.

And while Warcraft's world has elves, orcs, etc. I'd hardly call it generic...however, while their style is superb their in-game implementation is always lacking

i'm sure you realize that Blizzard could have blown the poly count out of the window and delivered a game that runs just as crappily as SWG but im certain if they did ever decide to do that they wouldnt craft a game that looks as horribly generic as Dark and Light does.

1. SWG runs fine. At least it did on my PC. Maybe yours sucks.

2. Dark and Light looks realistic, which is what it's supposed to look like. Let's see what WoW looks like with a 20-mile draw distance.

I don't know where to find a resized version of the night elf rendered artwork, but here's a slightly blurrier shot of another pose (which proves it's rendered rather than an edited photo):
http://www.blizzard.com/WoW/images/...ghtelf-640x.jpg
This model is simply amazing. Square might do bigger scenes but I've never seen anything that looks as realistic (pointy ears or not), not even in TSW or Osiris.

Uhhh....HUH?? Are you insane? From that angle, that barely looks like FMV, it could be a Soul Calibur 1 model with a really good shader applied to it. The background looks great, but again nothing unheard of. I've seen much better examples of WoW CG stills. Are you that distracted by purple boobies?

Damn straight! WoW is on Planet FUN!

Did Blizzard kill your puppy?

That's funny, because I was under the impression that another multi-server, quest-based, no-PvP, smallish-world carebear MMORPG aimed at people enamored with a world and property I don't give a fuck about wasn't enough to attract my interest, especially when DnL does everything better. Obviously I need to lower my standards, then I'll be able to have FUN.

Neutron Night said:
That's funny, because I was under the impression that another multi-server, quest-based, no-PvP, smallish-world carebear MMORPG aimed at people enamored with a world and property I don't give a fuck about wasn't enough to attract my interest, especially when DnL does everything better. Obviously I need to lower my standards, then I'll be able to have FUN.

OHHHH! CAREBEAR!It's on now!

Wait, actually, it turns out I don't give a fuck if you think I'm "hardcore" or not! So you have fun running around your big empty world the size of Denmark with other people who enjoy boredom and "realism", and I'll be over here playing a game with other gamers. Ciao!

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Square, by a mile. It's not even really a fair comparison.

That said, the next best in the gaming biz are Blizzard and ROBOT (those Onimusha videos really are something special).

MetatronM said:
Square, by a mile. It's not even really a fair comparison.

That said, the next best in the gaming biz are Blizzard and ROBOT (those Onimusha videos really are something special).

If NAMCO started doing more CG i'd say they'd be just as high as any other CG game studio. They were awesome last gen, but they've seemed to stop this generation. Although the CG in R:Racing is awesome.

Kandinsky

SolidSnakex said:
If NAMCO started doing more CG i'd say they'd be just as high as any other CG game studio. They were awesome last gen, but they've seemed to stop this generation. Although the CG in R:Racing and Baten Kaitos are awesome.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
SolidSnakex said:
If NAMCO started doing more CG i'd say they'd be just as high as any other CG game studio. They were awesome last gen, but they've seemed to stop this generation. Although the CG in R:Racing is awesome.
Namco is number 4 on my list.

jett

D-Member
cuccoo said:
Onimusha 3 intro was done by Capcom, Robot and Donnie Yen. Its unfair to compare it to Square or Blizzard who doesnt use star choreographer (since their CG is not martial arts oriented anyway).

Doesn't Square outsource the CG in most of their games? :p

Mashing

Didn't ROBOT do the CG work in Baten Kaitos? I seem to remember one of the top CG houses in Japan was doing the CG in that game.

Razoric

Banned
Belfast said:
Let Blizzard continue to milk their three total franchises (and yes, I'm aware they made a few games before Warcraft, but it was a completely different company back then) for the next 20 years.

Quote of the thread. You are comparing Blizzard to Square and saying BLIZZARD is the one who milks franchises? :lol :lol How many Final Fantasy games are there again?

To the subject at hand, I'd give the nod to Blizzard. WC3/TFT FMV blew me away. Last time I was blown away by something like that was FF7.

oh come on. THE FF games are linked only by name, CID, chocobos and moggles. Everytime it's resurfaced, its been a different experience. Blizzard on the other hand does milk franchises.

My vote. Square Enix. Kingdom Hearts + FF + Chrono Cross.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
TheGreenGiant said:
oh come on. THE FF games are linked only by name, CID, chocobos and moggles. Everytime it's resurfaced, its been a different experience. Blizzard on the other hand does milk franchises.
Blizzard milks GAMES. Square milks FRANCHISES. Subtle, but important difference.

Spike

Blizzard, all the way. But, Square is a very close and respectable second.

I give Blizz the edge because of the truly awe-inspiring fmv's in War3 and Frozen Throne.

21.jpg

13.jpg

12.jpg

997.jpg

1074.jpg

Blizzard. Of course.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
While others, like Square and ROBOT are highly impressive, Blizzard's work feels a lot more like classic movie-storytelling in its editing and 'cinematography' and just flat out looks more awe-inspiring.
Actually, the Oni 3 intro looks just as movie/storytelling style as anything else, while at the same time not looking nearly as cliche in composition like all Blizzard FMVs seem to be (or Square's Osiris or TSW for that matter).

I think Deep Dive has the substance of a lame student film, most of the work in it is post production.
That would probably be because 'Deep Dive' IS nothing more than a mix of existing Square video clips, most of them from KH2, from what I've seen...

Marconelly said:
Actually, the Oni 3 intro looks just as movie/storytelling style as anything else, while at the same time not looking nearly as cliche in composition like all Blizzard FMVs seem to be (or Square's Osiris or TSW for that matter).

Well, I gotta disagree. Blizzard's work, overall, is a lot more even-handed with the camera-work and framing. That Oni 3 CG was amazing, no doubt...

Marconelly said:

That would probably be because 'Deep Dive' IS nothing more than a mix of existing Square video clips, most of them from KH2, from what I've seen...

Osiris... is not really done by Squaresoft per say. It was done by the Hawaii team that did FFSW. They worked sololy in movies vfx. Hardly Square japan. Very different element within the Square arm which has since been disbanded.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Osiris... is not really done by Squaresoft per say. It was done by the Hawaii team that did FFSW. They worked sololy in movies vfx. Hardly Square japan. Very different element within the Square arm which has since been disbanded.
It's a lot more mixed than you make it out to be. A lot of their FMV people from Japan have worked on the team that did TSW and Osiris, and consequently, after it was disbanded, a lot of people from Hawaii have went back (or joined) to Japan studio.

In any case, I don't even see what's your point. Those people have been (and/or still are) employees of Square, and have been working on CGI animation for them.

akascream

Banned
If you guys want to compare in-game MMO graphics, why not keep it on topic and debate FFXI vs WoW. FFXI has some nice ingame models, but the environments are the very definition of bland, and there are like 3 kinds of monsters. New Zone, more gobly's, wasps and worms, yes!

Anyone seen the 50 minute video of that n00b playing WoW? It was difficult to watch him suck so much ass.. but I was gawking at the forest he was running around. The character art, and of course the animation is first rate. The art style is fantastic. The only complaint I could see is lower poly models than some MMO's, but they have just redone the models in the latest push. Not to mention they have huge FvF battles planned, all while needing to run on a wide variety of machines.

WoW - 1
FFXI - 0

akascream said:
If you guys want to compare in-game MMO graphics, why not keep it on topic and debate FFXI vs WoW. FFXI has some nice ingame models, but the environments are the very definition of bland, and there are like 3 kinds of monsters. New Zone, more gobly's, wasps and worms, yes!

Anyone seen the 50 minute video of that n00b playing WoW? It was difficult to watch him suck so much ass.. but I was gawking at the forest he was running around. The character art, and of course the animation is first rate. The art style is fantastic. The only complaint I could see is lower poly models than some MMO's, but they have just redone the models in the latest push. Not to mention they have huge FvF battles planned, all while needing to run on a wide variety of machines.

WoW - 1
FFXI - 0

Link?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I definitely have seen more Square FMV than Blizzard, but when I bought WC3/TFT and saw that FMV...wow.

Still incredible. I give the nod to Blizzard because of that, and Square just a hair behind personally because Blizzard being a tad better by no means undermines Square's work at all.

Mrbob

TheGreenGiant said:

This is getting a bit off topic, but I don't really understand this statement. What do you mean by Blizzard milks franchises? There was almost seven years between the release of Warcraft 2 and Warcraft 3. By the time Starcraft 2 gets out it will also be nearly 7-8 years between the original and sequel. Blizzard usually outputs one game a year. It may even be less right now since it sounds like they are focusing all efforts on getting World of Warcraft complete.

As for any comments regarding graphics, being a PC game Blizzard needs to have the game run on a wide array of machines. They could make the games look nearly as good as their CGI but then no one could run it.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Neutron Night said:
Secondly, Blizzard's art beats the shit out of that generic Eastern sci-fi / fantasy stuff Square is doing. There's so much more design and art in Blizzard's CG, not just raw detail. If for one vastly prefer Western artwork over Eastern style, so this is no contest.

There, fixed it for you :)

Obviously, +1 vote for Blizzard here.

Tabris

but the environments are the very definition of bland

I'm guessing you didn't go far in the game.

Sanctuary of Zi'Tah looks amazing, and if you spend a lot of time in the game, you'll eventually get to go to Ru'Ann Gardens. Which looks so damn incredible (you have to do the Zilart Missions to be able to get to there).

Kintaro

Tabris said:
I'm guessing you didn't go far in the game.

Sanctuary of Zi'Tah looks amazing, and if you spend a lot of time in the game, you'll eventually get to go to Ru'Ann Gardens. Which looks so damn incredible (you have to do the Zilart Missions to be able to get to there).

He still has a point though. Zi'Tah is a great looking zone true. But if you have to be lvl 65 + finish some Zilart Missions to finally see Ru'Aun...then you're actually helping his point.

As much as I like FFXI, the vast majority of the game's zones are bland as shit. A lot of the structures I love though. =D

Tabris

Bah, I disagree. Maybe it's because my static has leveled in interesting places.

Like sometime in the 40's, we leveled off goblins in Yhoator Jungle at the Ifrit's Cauldron zone. Which is quite a site, with the Volcano in the background. While most other parties would be leveling in Crawler's Nest at that point. Zzzzz.

EDIT - I guess maybe he has a point, most of the zones the standard party will XP in look kinda blah. You can't fault SE too much for that, that's more due to NA laziness than anything else.

Kintaro

Tabris said:
Bah, I disagree. Maybe it's because my static has leveled in interesting places.

Like sometime in the 40's, we leveled off goblins in Yhoator Jungle at the Ifrit's Cauldron zone. Which is quite a site, with the Volcano in the background. While most other parties would be leveling in Crawler's Nest at that point. Zzzzz.

Well, definitely not to say that I haven't done the same, which I have. There are some exceptions, of course, but as a whole, bland. Zilart areas are definitely better than the non expansion areas though.

akascream

Banned
Take a look at the 50 min WoW video and tell me you don't want to jump in the screen and explore that shit. :) I never felt like that in FFXI, ever. I did enjoy the team mechanics, but we're talking about visuals right now, so I'll leave that alone.

cuccoo

I dont know why people still bash Blizzard artstyle just because its "western." I'm sure you've never played WC3.

I mean who would have thought that the Orcs (particularly blademaster) are Japanese samurais? I think there is some pretty creative element there. Sure they just show the Grunt type of orcs in the CG, but thats probably because the CG was done before the game itself.

Then you got that Humanoid-Bull Taurens. I think thats one of the best creation in fantasy videogame.

And they also managed to do something interesting with the most boring concept ever: the Elves.

And did you people watch "Athas coming home" CG? That's one breathtaking cinematics. It could easily rival Lord of the Rings in art direction.

Oh, and i've played tons of asian/japanese games and watch animes since i was a kid. so asian art style is no stranger to me. They are good, but in no way superior than western style, and they have their share of generics too.

Justin

Blizzard by far, the WoW CG video shown on that huge screen at E3 was amazing. The thing i like about Blizzards CG is that they are so epic and have a lot of emotion.

Top Bottom