• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Full Motion video battle: Square Enix vs Blizzard

For those that haven't seen it, here's Deep Dive:

http://www.gametrailers.com/gt_fanmovies/ft_kingdomhearts_dd1.html

5b.jpg

11b.jpg

7b.jpg

TheDuce22

Banned
Im going to go with blizzard for the same reasons most other people have given. The style and presentation of their fmv's is the best i have seen.

element said:
i think you guys need to see the world of warcraft CG. it is AMAZING!! Beyond FF:TSW

I'm basing my choice purely on artistic style. Just as with ingame graphics, that's far more important than the technical side. Deep Dive is pretty much the best looking FMV i've seen because of that.

element

JackFrost2012 said:
Is there a good source for it online?
the only high quality one is the 'teaser' trailer they released a while ago and an ECTS 2001 trailer, which is old but still pretty.

http://ftp.blizzard.com/pub/WoW/movies/WoW-ECTS-2001-CinematicTrailer.avi

here is the teaser trailer, which is a little 'newer'
http://www.ozforcesfiles.com/index.php?action=file&id=1418

I'm basing my choice purely on artistic style. Just as with ingame graphics, that's far more important than the technical side. Deep Dive is pretty much the best looking FMV i've seen because of that.
I think Deep Dive has the substance of a lame student film, most of the work in it is post production.

cuccoo

Onimusha 3 intro was done by Capcom, Robot and Donnie Yen. Its unfair to compare it to Square or Blizzard who doesnt use star choreographer (since their CG is not martial arts oriented anyway).

element said:
I think Deep Dive has the substance of a lame student film, most of the work in it is post production.

That's true - as cool as Deep Dive is, a lot of the coolness comes from the editing and post-production effects. That rad-tastic text is like a $20 Photoshop Elements plug-in. From a purely technical standpoint, Blizzard's latest stuff is really a cut above. (And the Warcraft III and World of Warcraft trailers stand toe-to-toe on a content level, too, I think!)

element said:

Whatever you want to call it, it's still more entertaining and visually pleasing than any other FMV i've seen.

Belfast

SquareEnix. I'm surprised people here have yet to mention the FFXI opening, easily on par with Blizzards stuff, and on more equal footing style-wise, too.

Most of the people I see complaining are in the "OOHHH NOEESS I'M TIRED OF TEH ANIME" camp. :p

Not that Blizzard's FMV is bad by any means. I just think that Square's has always been impressive, while Blizz only got good with WarIII. Unfortunately, a lot of Square's great work was marred by the resolution and limitations of the PSX.

And all that said, I'll give ROBOT a definite nod. I'd say they're the best, but they've had they don't have a huge portfolio to work from.

element

Belfast said:
Actually, I thought they were pretty bad. Especially the character models.
back in the day they weren't. they were awesome back then and still pretty damn good today.

Square-Enix. Come on. We all know that if Square focused all their efforts on a 30-second clip, they could easily surpass that. Square doesn't do that, they make games with an hour of FMV. If we're going to talk random clips, how about DOA3, especially the intro movie. That shit was beautiful.

Secondly, Square's art beats the shit out of that generic western fantasy stuff Blizzard is doing. There's so much more design and art in Square's CG, not just raw detail. If for one vastly prefer Japanese artwork over western style, so this is no contest.

i think you guys need to see the world of warcraft CG. it is AMAZING!! Beyond FF:TSW

There's no chance it compares to TSW on a technical level. The difference in budget is too great. In terms of sheer photorealism, TSW is still king. It's like the comparison to Shrek (1 or 2). It doesn't look as pretty, but it's actually much harder to do. You can't compare based on some crappy avi, you need to blow it up to a theater screen.

element

Square-Enix. Come on. We all know that if Square focused all their efforts on a 30-second clip, they could easily surpass that. Square doesn't do that, they make games with an hour of FMV.
Ummm, typical Blizzard game has 20 to 30 minutes of CG in it. Warcraft 3 openning was 9 1/2 minutes long it self. Warcraft 3 was released with a DVD of their work.

Secondly, Square's art beats the shit out of that generic western fantasy stuff Blizzard is doing. There's so much more design and art in Square's CG, not just raw detail. If for one vastly prefer Japanese artwork over western style, so this is no contest.
you got to be joking. Generic? whatever. Design and art? Blizzards intro are works of art.

There's no chance it compares to TSW on a technical level.
What they are doing with scence for World of Warcraft do.

The difference in budget is too great.
Which should make the Blizzard work even more impressive.

you got to be joking. Generic? whatever. Design and art? Blizzards intro are works of art.

I stand by what I said. This Warcraft "world" is virtually the same as every other western fantasy. Dark Elves, skeletons, WHEE. The FMV is technically spectacular. But I don't see the art design that is obvious in, say, the FFXII pics that were posted earlier in this thread.

What they are doing with scence for World of Warcraft do.

Not a chance in hell.

element

Neutron Night said:
Not a chance in hell.
you will eat crow when a high res version comes out. what i saw at E3 was probably some of the best CG I've seen period, including Pixar and PDI

I stand by what I said. This Warcraft "world" is virtually the same as every other western fantasy. Dark Elves, skeletons, WHEE. The FMV is technically spectucular. But I don't see the art design that is obvious in, say, the FFXII pics that were posted earlier in this thread.
I find most of Squares work to be 'typical' or identical. It has absolutly no personality. Every new video from Blizzard makes me go 'WOW!' while Square videos all have the same feeling and no personality. They are vanilla of CG.

element said:
you will eat crow when a high res version comes out. what i saw at E3 was probably some of the best CG I've seen period, including Pixar and PDI

The WoW opening cinematic was the only thing I saw at E3 this year that made me go "holy shit!" Lots of good stuff, don't get me wrong, but that was the only thing that made me go all gaga-eyed in shock at how much better it was than everything else on the floor.

you will eat crow when a high res version comes out.

You mean high-res like 30 feet across, like a theater screen?

what i saw at E3 was probably some of the best CG I've seen period, including Pixar and PDI

Yeah, Blizzard will sure show them! It's amazing these geniuses can't produce actual in-game graphics that are impressive. And don't even try to say that WoW is, because it isn't.

I said the FMV was spectacular, but now you're just being stupid.

I find most of Squares work to be 'typical' or identical. It has absolutly no personality. Every new video from Blizzard makes me go 'WOW!' while Square videos all have the same feeling and no personality. They are vanilla of CG.

Wow. I feel exactly the opposite, and since I'm smarter than you, that makes me right and you wrong.

nubbe

This is nothing but another stupid fanboy battle.
They have different styles and they both are great at doing CGI movies...

Try to win a argument over taste.. good luck

element

Yeah, Blizzard will sure show them! It's amazing these geniuses can't produce actual in-game graphics that are impressive.
Blizzard actually ships games with GAMEPLAY, so they don't need to rely on graphics as much.

and since I'm smarter than you, that makes me right and you wrong.
alrighty... keep thinking that.

golem

Neutron Night said:
Yeah, Blizzard will sure show them! It's amazing these geniuses can't produce actual in-game graphics that are impressive. And don't even try to say that WoW is, because it isn't.

looks better than FFXI :p

Blizzard. Dear God, the FMV in WarCraft III and Frozen Throne are sexy enough to blow a load. The scene where the prince kills the king is one of the best pieces of work I have witnessed in a game. Everything animates so smooth, and the undead prince is just a bad ass.

Edit: Damn you for making me want to go back and play War III.

looks better than FFXI :p

Considering that FFXI was a PS2 game originally released in, like, 1970, it had better. But WoW isn't even on the same planet as Dark and Light.

Also Element, you're forgetting there are many other FMVs out there, like this Onimusha one that people were talking about (which I haven't seen), or the DOA3 one I mentioned. Finding colorful awesome-looking FMV is not hard.

golem

Neutron Night said:
Considering that FFXI was a PS2 game originally released in, like, 1970, it had better. But WoW isn't even on the same planet as Dark and Light.

i'm sure you realize that Blizzard could have blown the poly count out of the window and delivered a game that runs just as crappily as SWG but im certain if they did ever decide to do that they wouldnt craft a game that looks as horribly generic as Dark and Light does.

Belfast

element said:
Blizzard actually ships games with GAMEPLAY, so they don't need to rely on graphics as much.

alrighty... keep thinking that.

Hmmm....

Chrono Cross
Dewprism/Threads of Fate
Front Mission 1/2/3/4
Legend of Mana
Chocobo Dungeon/2
Brave Fencer Musashiden
Einhander
Final Fantasy Tactics
Tobal/2
Bushido Blade
Seiken Densetsu 2/3
Vagrant Story
Final Fantasy XI
Final Fantasy X-2 (say what you will, there's quite a bit of gameplay here with a lot to do)

I purposefully left out most of their mainstream games such as the rest of the Final Fantasy series and Chrono Trigger because they would no doubt cause some silly and trite argument as to how those games apparently have no gameplay because of their copious amounts of FMV. :p Most of the games I listed I would say were not at the height of graphics for their time.

And that's just coming from the Square side. I would've included Enix, too, but Enix doesn't do much FMV and this argument doesn't concern them.

Let Blizzard continue to milk their three total franchises (and yes, I'm aware they made a few games before Warcraft, but it was a completely different company back then) for the next 20 years.

I admit, though, that I do like Blizzard's artstyle in many respects, but nice shading and a few decent textures don't make up for the complete mess of polygons they like to call character models.

While others, like Square and ROBOT are highly impressive, Blizzard's work feels a lot more like classic movie-storytelling in its editing and 'cinematography' and just flat out looks more awe-inspiring. The Blizzard CG art-design is definitely more resonant than anything I've seen in a Square or ROBOT CG bit.

Neutron Night said:

Damn straight! WoW is on Planet FUN!

Did Blizzard kill your puppy?

Top Bottom