• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fuller House |OT| A Netflix Original Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
I watched the first episode.

Goddamn that was new levels of cringe. Does it get better/worse/so bad it's good?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I watched the first episode.

Goddamn that was new levels of cringe. Does it get better/worse/so bad it's good?

It gets different. The pilot was stuffed with character introductions and was bloated as a result. The rest of the series is DJ/Steph/Gibbler focused, with the occasional Jesse/Danny/Joey cameo. Watch to at least episode 3. If you don't like that ep, you definitely won't like the rest. But the cheese remains.

Still think that ep 3 is the only real standout ep of the season. They need to bring those writers back for more eps.

jett

D-Member
It gets different. The pilot was stuffed with character introductions and was bloated as a result. The rest of the series is DJ/Steph/Gibbler focused, with the occasional Jesse/Danny/Joey cameo. Watch to at least episode 3. If you don't like that ep, you definitely won't like the rest. But the cheese remains.

Still think that ep 3 is the only real standout ep of the season. They need to bring those writers back for more eps.

You were right, watched up to episode 4, it turned into a totally inoffensive sitcom. Something to watch when you got nothing else to do I guess. :p

So I watched all 13 episodes, and I have to say I enjoyed this series much more than I thought I would.

It might be nostalgia talking, but old episodes of Full House.. I remember them feeling more dramatic.. Like they felt more real somehow.
Was it because they didn't really add music to the sad/emotional bits in Fuller?

Somehow it felt a little incomplete.. A little off.

But still, it was a fun time. I'd be in for a second season. It's hard to say what I would like to see though.. more of the original cast maybe? Wish Danny Tanner was in it for at least one more episode. Felt like he showed up the least.

Ended up staying home sick from work, which somehow turned into me marathoning this from start to finish from bed. I didn't really find the first episode particularly offensive, but I suppose I had enough warning about it being a nostalgia-fest beforehand that I was prepared for it. I really enjoyed the rest of the show, and it even got a few genuine laughs out of me, which is rare for sitcoms these days. I'm definitely in for as much of this show as they want to make.

Becky really does creep me out a bit though, and the character traits could be turned down a bit from the caricatures they sometimes felt like.

Big Nikus

I already miss Fuller House so much that I'm watching the first season of Full House. I didn't expect that.
Young Stephanie makes me laugh way more than the little kid in Fuller. Ditch the boys and focus on Ramona !
Seriously I wanted to slap Jackson everytime he said "J-money", and Max speaks way too fucking loud. But hey, they're kids, so it may get better in season 2.
But no more "J-money" please. Ever.

Majestad

Banned
To those complaining about the first episode, this show is filmednin front of a live audience. That's episode's 1 target. The people who were there were probably shitting their pants hearing all the famous one-liners from the family.

jett

D-Member
Well I ended up watching the whole thing. It never stops being silly and cringey, and is kinda awful at times, but it does the perfect job at being a totally 90's throwback. It's pretty light, vapid entertainment...just like the sitcoms of old! I enjoyed some of it.

jwk94

Watching it right now. First episode is off to a good start but before I continue, I have a few questions about later episodes. how much of the show is:

1) Stefanie boob/clevage jokes
2) Political jokes
3) Nostalgia jokes

Watching it right now. First episode is off to a good start but before I continue, I have a few questions about later episodes. how much of the show is:

1) Stefanie boob/clevage jokes
2) Political jokes
3) Nostalgia jokes

There are one or two more cleavage jokes. There are also lots of sexual innuendo jokes throughout the season, including one about
masturbation

The Donald Trump joke in the beginning was the only political joke I can remember.

There are plenty more nostalgia jokes. Expect lots of the one-liners from the original show to be awkwardly repeated.

There are one or two more cleavage jokes. There are also lots of sexual innuendo jokes throughout the season, including one about
masturbation

The Donald Trump joke in the beginning was the only political joke I can remember.

There are plenty more nostalgia jokes. Expect lots of the one-liners from the original show to be awkwardly repeated.

Too bad none of them will be "You got it dude" from the original source

Watching episode 9 now. I lol'd hard at the Olsen shade a few episodes back. "With prices like these no wonder they don't act anymore"

jwk94

masturbation

Hmm that doesn't sound too bad. Alright, I guess I'll continue.

Finished watching the season. Yeah I'm glad there's going to be a season 2 as I enjoyed this first seasons a lot. I would like to see if they can get Michelle back but it's probably best if it was a guest appearance. Of course it would most likely be Mary Kate reprising the role though if it happens as I believe I read somewhere that Ashley simply doesn't want anything to do with it and Mary Kate seemed open to it but was already busy at the time.

Edit: I would love to hear their reaction to the shade being thrown at them though

sappyday

I'm midway through and while it's laughably bad, I'm enjoying it. The cringe can be hard at times. I'm a sucker for the serious moments too.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I found it to be pretty decent. Not as cringe worthy as you guys made it seem. Hell, the show is pretty meta in some way and acknowledges some of its cheesiness. But there were some pretty mature jokes and tones thrown in there too. And DJ openly dating and making out with two different guys is something the original sitcom would've never done.

Not saying it's groundbreaking stuff, but it's not quite as tame.

netguy503

I found it to be pretty decent. Not as cringe worthy as you guys made it seem. Hell, the show is pretty meta in some way and acknowledges some of its cheesiness. But there were some pretty mature jokes and tones thrown in there too. And DJ openly dating and making out with two different guys is something the original sitcom would've never done.

Not saying it's groundbreaking stuff, but it's not quite as tame.

I also wonder how Candice felt about the dating two guys at once storyline given her very christian background? I doubt Kirk would have gone along with that. Hell, I want a reaction video of Kirk watching that storyline play out.

JeTmAn81

I also wonder how Candice felt about the dating two guys at once storyline given her very christian background? I doubt Kirk would have gone along with that. Hell, I want a reaction video of Kirk watching that storyline play out.

Knowing her beliefs in real life it actually made me pretty uncomfortable to see her kissing these two men over and over. Then again, it was her brother that insisted that he not kiss anyone on screen or substitute his wife in the scene.

AlphaSnake

There was allegedly some outrage in the Christian community about Fuller House losing its Christian ways. But it doesn't seem like Candace cared much.

Slacker

There was allegedly some outrage in the Christian community about Fuller House losing its Christian ways. But it doesn't seem like Candace cared much.

Yeah there was definitely some negative reaction out there. It's a fine line marketing yourself as a Christian Conservative celebrity. You'll earn a legion of fans with relatively little effort, but those fans will then hold you up to a very rigid standard.

I just finished it. I really liked it. It was nearly as cringe as I thought it would be and the kids (who I thought were going to be the main source of cringe) I ended up really loving to the point I wished the show focused more on them. I think it helps that I pretty much grew up watching Full House so that definitely played a huge role in how much I enjoyed it. But it was amazing how well the cast just slipped back into their old roles, it was almost like they never left (which may be due to the fact that most of them never had an acting gig since the original). I liked the new characters a lot as well and felt they fit in seamlessly with the older ones. Overall the show is very campy and cheesy, the jokes, the plot lines, the presentation, everything about it is 90s as fuck, which I honestly loved. It honestly felt like these were just old school episodes that were just airing today, watching it really felt like a time capsule. Glad there's a season 2, and hopefully more after that.

I watched six episodes and I'm liking it so far. The series genuinely made me laugh during the episodes, even sixth episode that many agree with being one of the weakest
D.J. wrestling was just stupid fun
. The most enjoyable thing for me is how the series is self aware and has no fear of poking fun of it.

I finished it last weekend, and I really enjoyed it much more than I thought. The last episode was a little disappointing, but the series was good, cheesy fun.

oti

Banned
I'm surprised how much I liked the kids in the end. Hated them at first and the acting of the middle child can be rough at times but there's great harmony between them and the characters are strong enough to warrant whole storylines focusing on them.

Aurongel

On episode three right now and this shit suuuuuckkkkssss. There's only so much leaning on novelty and nostalgia you can do before a show crumbles under the weight of its own mediocrity.

The only way this works is if you lean waaaay into the cheesiness and get self aware about it. It needs to go all the way up its 90s ass so it can come out the other side.

AlphaSnake

On episode three right now and this shit suuuuuckkkkssss. There's only so much leaning on novelty and nostalgia you can do before a show crumbles under the weight of its own mediocrity.

The only way this works is if you lean waaaay into the cheesiness and get self aware about it. It needs to go all the way up its 90s ass so it can come out the other side.

Err...the show IS pretty self aware. Extremely at some points.

So is it ever explained why Stephanie became a DJ?

I assumed it was just so they could do the jokes about being DJ Tanner.

Stephanie = Jesse
Gibbler = Joey
DJ = Danny

The series is classic Full House except for the weird sex innuendos. Not that I am prude but it is weird for a family show.

WillyFive

Finished the entire season; it's a really funny show. I forgot how much I love live studio audience shows, we haven't had a good one in eons.

Grinchy

Banned
I couldn't even finish the first episode. This is one of the worst episodes of a TV show I've ever tried to watch. I actually do believe when people say the first one is the worst, but I really can't imagine this show becoming watchable. I don't know how some of you got through the whole season unless you've recently had a lobotomy.

sappyday

I finished it and I really liked it. It's fucking cheesy and bad but this is the definition of a guilty pleasure. The worst part I felt was Bob Saget. Every other cast member felt happy being there and looked like they were having a lot of fun, but Saget just looked depressing.

I will watch the second season.

I'm about four episodes in, now that I have access to Netflix. I started watching the fifth, but was simply too tired to go on.

It's definitely cringeworthy in a lot of ways, but it is nice to see the gang back. I grew up with Full House and Boy Meets World, back to back, and would watch them with my family.

Holy shit, Steph looks amazing. That dress in the second(?) episode...wow.

Penguin

Well good news is season 2 premieres in Dec!

https://twitter.com/JohnStamos/status/778626372419723264

Cs48eqCVMAAusBu.jpg

Will you be home for the holidays? @FullerHouse will be back December 9th on @netflix.

JeTmAn81

Two seasons in 2016? Nice. Good to see they've got the older son coming back...it's the same actor, isn't it? I'd heard he was gone for season 2.

Also, yes I know this show sucks. But it's something appropriate I can watch that both my wife and two-year-old like.

netguy503

Who's the guy by DJ? Does not look like her season 1 love interest.

Also two seasons in 2016 is nice! Having a half hour show (and sitcom with a low budget) probably helps greatly here but I guess this was really well viewed received regardless to get a second season fast tracked so quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom