• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fuller House |OT| A Netflix Original Series

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finished up the last episode last night. Overall I enjoyed the show. It really does feel like an extension of the original in the 90s, in every way. It's just as cheesy, but in a good way. I'm glad it's getting another season.

I still think Max is annoying, but it's more because of the lines he's given, they're just way too grown-up, the kid uses vocabulary no kid his age would ever say in the real world. It immediately takes me out of the show every time he opens his mouth because I'm reminded he's just reading lines off a script. Also, I hate that he's constantly screaming. He completely lacks the charm that Michelle had.

Some of the meta commentary was way over the top. And I know I'm in the minority on this, but I think most of the Michelle jokes were uncalled for, IMO. One of the twins doesn't even act anymore and is known to suffer from Lyme disease, so I think it's unprofessional for the cast to be knocking them so much for not showing (and by being so hard on them, the cast has probably guaranteed that the twins will never show in future seasons). As much as I would have liked to see them in the cast myself, if they couldn't make it it was probably for a good reason, the original show launched their careers after all. A few of the Michelle jokes were funny and harmless though, like
when Kimmy says no wonder they don't need to act anymore when their fragrances cost so much. Haha, fair enough.

I also want to heap endless raise on Andrea Barber, because the woman hadn't acted in forever, yet she was absolutely brilliant as Kimmy once again. Every bit as hilarious as in the 90s. My favorite character and actress on the show. Dave Coulier was great as Joey again too, he should have appeared much more often.

Slacker

DJ unable to afford a nanny thinks she can open her own vet clinic.

Steph playing major gigs yet broke. Was she not paid for that concert?

It's not the kind of show that stands up to a lot of scrutiny. In real life Danny would have sold the $10 million dollar house and given DJ a few bucks for a nanny.

It's not the kind of show that stands up to a lot of scrutiny. In real life Danny would have sold the $10 million dollar house and given DJ a few bucks for a nanny.
Lol seriously, that was one of the first things I said to my wife when we started watching. Do you have any idea how much that house is worth?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Do they generally not destroy sitcom sets? As far as I can tell, it's the same set, which hadn't been used for 20 years. I'm curious what the actual Full House house looks like inside.

Big Nikus

I've watched 9 episodes and I can't stop.
It's supposed to be awful ? I'm often laughing like an idiot to jokes that shouldn't make me laugh, and I love that.

Matticers

I've watched 9 episodes and I can't stop.
It's supposed to be awful ? I'm often laughing like an idiot to jokes that shouldn't make me laugh, and I love that.

I think it's a mixture of people expecting it to be completely terrible when it's really not. That, plus people are eager to shit on things these days if something isn't exactly the way they expect it to be. Just look at the new Ghostbusters reactions. All we've seen is the cast and one trailer and half the people think it's the worst thing ever created.

Good to hear they're doing a second season though.

Do they generally not destroy sitcom sets? As far as I can tell, it's the same set, which hadn't been used for 20 years. I'm curious what the actual Full House house looks like inside.

I very strongly doubt it's literally the original set. Plenty of shows have done very, very good copies of original sets from earlier shows. Plus, sets from the pre-HD era tended to take shortcuts with props and other things that you can't get away with now because the cameras pick up that much more; a lot of soap operas had to overhaul their sets when they switched over. Even if the original set did somehow survive to this day, it would have had to have been significantly rebuilt for HD.

Blader

Sitcom sets are always destroyed, unless they're donated somewhere. It had to be rebuilt for this series (and apparently without the blueprints from the original show, which were lost).

Nekofrog

Banned
There must be a little nugget of "Kimmy" deep inside Andrea, because yeah, to go from not acting much to 20+ years later and picking up the character as if she had been playing it the entire time the show was off the air and never missing a beat is something special.

Also helps that Kimmy was my favorite part of the original show. She's SO good. If ever you hear someone say "women aren't funny", just point to Andrea.

They had to rebuild it and not from schematics.

But by looking at scenes from the original frame by frame

There are some subtle differences, too, like the glass tiles by the stove area. Plot wise, though, I'm sure they can be explained by just saying that Danny updated the house a bit in the last 29 years.

Also known as The Adam Savage Method.

It's a pretty funny story

Production designer Jerry Dunn was told by creator Jeff Franklin that recreating the house from Full House would be a very easy job, as he believed the original set drawings were still being held in the Warner Bros. archive. However, when these documents could not be found, Dunn had to go frame by frame through several hours of Full House episode footage as his only reference for recreating the set.

forrest

formerly nacire
I hate seeing this panned so bad in different circles. I thought they knocked it out of the park for what a Full House reboot should be. Corny jokes, silly scenarios and throwbacks to poke fun at themselves a bit.

I really don't know what people were expecting, but it's around the caliber of say Melissa and Joey. If that kind of lighthearted cornball stuff isn't your cup of tea, then this show probably isn't gonna fly with you.

On a side note, I started the season off thinking Jodie looked the most attractive, but finished the season really being struck by Candace. She has aged well and taken great care of herself. Maybe it's her on show personality too, but she won me over either way.

Watched the first few episodes. It felt incredibly corny, like a Disney Channel show but with more pop culture references. Last time I saw Full House was almost 10 years ago so I cant remember if the original was also this corny. Though I much prefer the Girl Meets World reboot than Fuller House.

DJ's little kid is funny though.

Finished it earlier and enjoyed myself just like with kimmy Schmidt it was an easy watch. Really hope Netflix gets more happy shows like this, helps to balance out a lot of the heavy stuff.

I also hope they can get one of the olsens for a cameo next season, that'll be funny if they do.

MisterHero

John Stamos reacts to ultra-negative reviews: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG7FcxgC3Ms
x1sqysss0syt.jpg

platakul

Banned
This show is so tremendously fucking good

omg its like i'm right back to being 11 years old watchign tgif

I FUCKING HOPE they can get Step by Step back together

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
The episode where Danny guest stars was pretty good, the couch camo was awesome. Somehow I can't watch more than 2 eps back to back, but I'm enjoying and I'm glad it got renewed so fast.

We're joking about it, but Family Matters + Step by Step revival needs to happen now.

Stamos in that vid... This guy is 52. 52. Stamos don't crack.

Ramsiege

Seeing how season 2 is going to happen, I hope the writers give Max something more than cheesy one-liners. Or maybe they can give him less because he's ruining it for me.

As much as I enjoyed the show, I agree. "Holy Chalupas!" has the be the worst wannabe catch-phrase I've ever heard.

Striker

I watched the first five episodes. Not a bad show. The pipes and plummer scene was pretty tripping the line, but it was well done. Stephanie in that dress from episode 3. Wowza! They should use Uncle Jesse more.

Aiii

So not worth it
That was amazing. The creativity of these review titles felt like they were trying to one up each other haha

Also the interview made me realize that despite John Stamos having his own show at the moment, he was the one of the original three to return to the episodes the most this series.

That's because Stamos is the one behind the reboot, having an ownership stake in the original show.

It's a family sitcom aimed at adults. They didn't make this for tweens like the original.

I mean this has masturbation jokes, original never did that.

Full House was never, ever made for tweens. Where did you get that idea? They pushed the envelope as far as they could with Uncle Jesse, but they can get away with much more now.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Yeah there was a ton of subtle sex jokes in the original

Having rewatched the original recently, there really weren't. Not to say there weren't some, but they were few and far between. And it was almost entirely limited to occasional banter between Jessie and Becky.

Having rewatched the original recently, there really weren't. Not to say there weren't some, but they were few and far between. And it was almost entirely limited to occasional banter between Jessie and Becky.

The first season or two has some occasionally mildly raunchy stuff, Jessie trying to sneak casual hookups into the house, etc. But after that, yeah it's pretty ultra g-rated.

Majestad

Banned
Ramona is a pretty good kid. I thought she would be an insufferable brat, but in the episode where Kimmy was going to marry again, she was surprisingly mature.

mackattk

My wife watched some of this.. Caught the ending of a few episodes. Are there no sit-down and talk life lessons/heartfelt moments like there was on the original show? Feels like that is missing.

Social

I managed to watch it until somewhere during episode 2 where the women started doing this dance in the club they were at, my cringe levels could take no more...

Futureman

My wife watched some of this.. Caught the ending of a few episodes. Are there no sit-down and talk life lessons/heartfelt moments like there was on the original show? Feels like that is missing.

You're right... that was like the calling card of the original and missing in the new series.

Overall my GF and I enjoyed this. Was weird in the last episode how there was no one at the wedding. How was Danny at least not in the final episode?

TylerD

My girlfriend and I are 5 episodes in and love it. I think they did an excellent job of taking Full House and modernizing it but keeping the original feel and adding a little more adult humor and innuendo. The girls (DJ, Steph, Kimmy) are great and the kids are all starting to grow on me. I'm very excited to see it's been renewed for a second season.

I'm actually pretty glad they didn't bring back Michelle. I didn't really like her much on Full House, and I hated how much the show tended to focus on her character. Her absence helps the other shine.

Tigress

I'm actually pretty glad they didn't bring back Michelle. I didn't really like her much on Full House, and I hated how much the show tended to focus on her character. Her absence helps the other shine.

I feel the same way. I actually commented on how I liked that this show isn't doing the same thing with Tommy. Especially if you don't care for babies it's really annoying to have the show keep trying to cash in on the, "oh, it's a cute baby, don't you like it?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom