• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Furry-GAF

That comic set me off thinking. Speaking as an outsider... how furry is furry?

I mean, the fursuiting, fursona stuff is pretty obvious, but how about gijinka fans, or even TF fans? Are they considered part of the furry group, or are they their own thing?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer

I mean, the fursuiting, fursona stuff is pretty obvious, but how about gijinka fans, or even TF fans? Are they considered part of the furry group, or are they their own thing?

I'm not really into furry stuff, but good TF stuff? I can get into that.
To me, TF is a superset with a slight shift in motivation.

Gijinka

1fb8F.png

Acerac

Banned

I'm not really into furry stuff, but good TF stuff? I can get into that.

I've kinda thought it's something one decides for themselves. There is no official test or anything, I don't fursuit or have a fursona, (and the other two aren't particularly enticing to me either) that said, if you asked me if I was a furry I'd say yes.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I've kinda thought it's something one decides for themselves. There is no official test or anything, I don't fursuit or have a fursona, (and the other two aren't particularly enticing to me either) that said, if you asked me if I was a furry I'd say yes.

Despite how it has been framed from time to time, "furry" is not a genre, overall - it's a particular subculture. A comparison might be: one can have every episode of every Star Trek series, know everything about the cast and crew, and have a signed doormat from Patrick Stewart. Yet one may still not go to Trek conventions, or even ever chat with other Trek fans, and not participate in Trekker subculture. Whether or not one is a "Trekker" is a choice.

Likewise, the furry thing is the name of a subculture that is built around a variety of different hobbies based on anthropomorphic characters. The subculture doesn't "own" any of those hobbies, much less anthropomorphism. I've met people who have, for example, used a minotaur character for themselves since the 1970s, crafted minotaur costumes as a hobby, and always role play a minotaur in something like a table top game. But said person has never gone to a furry gathering, doesn't specifically seek out the fandom, and never put any of their work on a furry fandom website. They wouldn't think of themselves as a furry / see the need to call themselves that. They also wouldn't be offended if someone said "So you're like a furry" - but the guy in question would be amused at the need to label.

Life is a remarkably opt-in experience; it's usually observers who place people into boxes and categories for the convenience of the observer.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Kaijima: Ultimately this boils down to semantics. With your example, it's indisputable that he's a massive Star Trek fan and engages in the market for Star Trek merchandise, but whether or not he's a "Trekker", "Trekkie" or whatever at that point isn't really as important because you first have to nail down what those imply.

Personally, I'm not one for nerd hierarchy so I'd go with whatever interpretation makes the most people uncomfortable with their standing in it. ;)

Kai Dracon

Kaijima: Ultimately this boils down to semantics. With your example, it's indisputable that he's a massive Star Trek fan and engages in the market for Star Trek merchandise, but whether or not he's a "Trekker", "Trekkie" or whatever at that point isn't really as important because you first have to nail down what those imply.

Personally, I'm not one for nerd hierarchy so I'd go with whatever interpretation makes the most people uncomfortable with their standing in it. ;)

Yeah, I'm mostly pointing out the problem with semantics. Nerds do love to build hierarchies - well, people in generally really. It's hierarchies all the way down.

Engaging in semantics (and in the process trying to "nail down" what each arbitrary label means) is often a waste of time. Better to let people self identify as whatever they want.

But still, it can be useful to understand the difference between contents and containers. (In the subject at hand, furry fandom is merely one of many containers for a particular kind of content.)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The problem is the nerds themselves. They suffer from wanting to put down people who don't belong to their creepy niche.

Kai Dracon

The problem is the nerds themselves. They suffer from wanting to put down people who don't belong to their creepy niche.

Nerds / geeks fall easily into playing Lord of the Flies; people are insecure about not being accepted and popular by whatever they think is mainstream. Nerds then look for other nerds to kick down another rung on the ladder.

But it's a humanity-wide problem, one would guess. Everybody does it.

FoxSpirit

I got a bit carried away drawing magical chipmunks..
extollere has been very helpful with helping me improve
bonus

have to leave this character alone for a while and improve other things
Damn Uchip, banned again? Wanted to chime in on the drawings:
From the drawing side, very nice, you are really on track.
From the tech side, more AA for the edges, in high contrast scenarios they stick out. Your gamma, saturation and contrast is off but you'll need a calibrated IPS to really get that perfect. Fortunately not that expensive anymore and you are already at a point where this will be noticed. Oh, and die jpegs :p

Really lookig forward to your stuff, can't wait until you bring out quality smu... normal, cute, drawings, I mean. Ahem. :-D

Grakl

Damn Uchip, banned again? Wanted to chime in on the drawings:
From the drawing side, very nice, you are really on track.
From the tech side, more AA for the edges, in high contrast scenarios they stick out. Your gamma, saturation and contrast is off but you'll need a calibrated IPS to really get that perfect. Fortunately not that expensive anymore and you are already at a point where this will be noticed. Oh, and die jpegs :p

Really lookig forward to your stuff, can't wait until you bring out quality smu... normal, cute, drawings, I mean. Ahem. :-D

I think Uchip is perma'd?

Top Bottom