• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FUSE |OT| 4 Players, 1 Co-op

Karak

Thanks Rated!
Ya I would say it is REALLY going to depend on your thoughts going into the game.

It has moments of brilliance(small ones) and moments of what appears to be bad decision making. I do have to say I don't feel like I wasted money but I do feel a bit like others may.

I would say for the most part I agree with janisar's post but didn't get as much out of it that he did. Oh and I also noticed the 'weight' in movement and I won't lie it could cause some issues for people as it makes movement awkward at first. I still feel the burn from the AI though. As I said in my review its a bit Einstein and clown car all wrapped up in one.

I loved the look of the video, but I can already tell I'm going to play it very different from the player in the review. I am Gears campaign trained, so I'm a healthy mix of methodical and full aggro rushing when I have to upper hand. Also something huge not present in the video: teamwork, combining attacks, leaping between characters.

I have a feeling a lot of people are going to approach this like Gears and miss out on some of the unique mechanics here. I wonder if the game's design or difficulty forces players to experiment.

Still, this looks exactly like my particular kind of shooter (action over story, solo+co-op, true tactical choices, using the environment to your advantage, replayability and nice long combat encounters) - looking forward to Tuesday.

boinx

I liked the demo quite a lot, will pick this up once price lowers since this is pretty much a certain bomba.

sono

I am sorry but can you include more detail in the op to tell me what the game is - what it is about, whats the setting, game concept, gameplay, what the characters are how do you score and level up etc.

At the moment the op seems to just say shooter and then that is a co-op.

Drewfonse

I am sorry but can you include more detail in the op to tell me what the game is - what it is about, whats the setting, game concept, gameplay, what the characters are how do you score and level up etc.

It's a co op shooter.

Demo is available on XBL and PSN.

8byte

Banned

I can expand on the story stuff, sure. I always the ought people felt that was bloated stuff, but I have no problem with it.

VahnSSR

Banned
Already pre-ordered for 360. Really excited to play this with a group of local friends. I also love the unique weapons for each of the party members, Mag Shield is effin' amazing!

Played the demo yesterday, it was better than expected.

Seems like something a friend and I would play through once, so maybe we could rent it? Not sure. Don't know of any friends who even know of its existence unfortunately. Feels like it would work better on PC.
Is this more Borderlands/Dead Island or Left 4 Dead/Killing Floor?
Going by the kill times and types of enemies, I'd call it closer to Borderlands than the others.

Skidd

It's a third person, co-op shooter. You play as Overstrike 9, a team of misfit agents brought together to fight various PMCs and criminal organizations. One day, an operation goes terribly wrong when a notorious PMC called Raven steals experimental weapons and one powerful alien compound known only as "Fuse" from a secret US base. Thus begins Overstrike 9's mission to retrieve Fuse before it can be weaponized.

You have 4 playable, class based characters and you can switch between these characters seamlessly when playing. All characters have specific roles they can perform. One can protect the whole team and draw agro, one can cloack, one can heal and the last one can set traps. Each character has a unique Fuse-powered weapon, in addition to regular assault or sniper rifles.

Fuse is combined with natural elements, often with unexpected results. For instance, Izzy's (the medic) Fuse weapon uses melanite to crystalize groups of enemies into place, making them easy targets for the rest of the team. The game encourages people to combine the effects of their weapons for maximum damage. You're also rewarded with additional XP when combining your powers. Shooting through Dalton's Magshield does not only provide you with cover but also more XP for every kill, and it's benefitial to both players.

Fuse plays like what you'd expect from a third person shooter, nothing new there. The emphasis is more on the weapons and teamwork. Enemy variety is pretty good with exploding swarmers, infiltrators, shield and medic troopers, snipers equipped with jetpacks and giant robots.

Gaining levels earns you skill points to spend on each character's skill tree, filled with max 3 tiered abilities. You also have team perks that you can buy with the credits earned in the game, all perks can be upgraded to lvl 3.

There's also Echelon mode, a co-petitive wave based arena mode. Teams must complete random objectives with random enemy encounters, with wave 6 and 12 (last) being boss rounds.

Hopefully that clears a few things.

The Lamp

Watching some videos, the game looks pretty fun.

I just can't get over that art style. It is so bland. It looks like the space marine level from Wreck it Ralph!

Karak

Don't know who this guy is, good review though. I'm a fan now.

Great review, Karak, funny and informative. Left a comment.

Thanks guys I really do appreciate it. I always try to walk a fine line and sometimes don't hit it. But on this one I seemed to do it:) Thanks again!

I loved the look of the video, but I can already tell I'm going to play it very different from the player in the review. I am Gears campaign trained, so I'm a healthy mix of methodical and full aggro rushing when I have to upper hand. Also something huge not present in the video: teamwork, combining attacks, leaping between characters.

I have a feeling a lot of people are going to approach this like Gears and miss out on some of the unique mechanics here. I wonder if the game's design or difficulty forces players to experiment.

Still, this looks exactly like my particular kind of shooter (action over story, solo+co-op, true tactical choices, using the environment to your advantage, replayability and nice long combat encounters) - looking forward to Tuesday.

If you ware talking about my review. You are 100% right. This game didn't seem to force me as much as I personally WANTED to force myself just so I could see new things. The teamwork I discuss a good deal, in the video, when it comes to the AI Ibreak up the video with some scenes of some excellent flanking they do...then they decide to fricken die like clowns coming out of a clown car.

Toppot

Does it? Hasn't EA done this for pretty much all of their titles for quite some time now?

Checking Mirrors Edge, Sims 3 and Dante's Inferno, the reviews come out the day before release.

I'm getting the game regardless, but reviews will be very interesting.

8byte

Banned
Checking Mirrors Edge, Sims 3 and Dante's Inferno, the reviews come out the day before release.

I'm getting the game regardless, but reviews will be very interesting.

I dot think anyone is expecting 10s or anything. Still, release date reviews aren't uncommon, and aren't exclusive to "bad" games.

Toppot

I dot think anyone is expecting 10s or anything. Still, release date reviews aren't uncommon, and aren't exclusive to "bad" games.

I did another random check, bad games (In the 50's on Metacritic)

Haze and Bodycount had on release reviews, Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel had reviews after release.

All these games have been checked against IGN and Gamespot.

I'm not saying you are lying, or that Fuse is a bad game, but random checks, aren't supporting what you are saying. They are random and not very proportional, granted.

Alienous

Haze and Bodycount had on release reviews, Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel had reviews after release.

I'm not saying you are lying, or that Fuse is a bad game, but random checks, aren't supporting what you are saying. They are random and not very proportional, granted.

There are good (critically acclaimed) games also that have had their reviews released on day one. Many EA games, for instance.

(Just looking now, Red Dead Redemption is included in this).

OwlyKnees

But what they are saying is supported, they aren't uncommon and they aren't exclusive to bad games. Both of those statements are supported.

Toppot

There are good (critically acclaimed) games also that have had their reviews released on day one. Many EA games, for instance.

(Just looking now, Red Dead Redemption is included in this).

I'm not saying what he's saying is wrong, nor am I saying all bad games get reviewed on date of release, or that only bad games get a day of release review. What he was saying just seemed like off statements to me, so I did a very small random test and they didn't support what he said.

Also just did another random check of bad EA games (50-60 metacritic) they all had on release or after release reviews. Need for Speed Prostreet PSP, Sims 3 DS and create PS3.

But what they are saying is supported, they aren't uncommon and they aren't exclusive to bad games. Both of those statements are supported.

I would prefer to see more evidence to that case, he just stated them, I did at least a little research.

Love the avatar BTW.

I haven't been following the game a ton, but the footage in that video review looks better than what I was expecting from all the doom and gloom that seems to follow the game in other threads. It does not look groundbreaking by any means, but it looks very competent. I would imagine the team stuff and weapons give it a little bit of a twist too. When it comes to co-op shooters, that's about all you can hope for.

I picked up the Army of Two games for cheap when I wanted to play through something with a friend, and I imagine Fuse would do a somewhat better job of fulfilling that sort of desire. I'll look for it when the price goes down.

Karak

I haven't been following the game a ton, but the footage in that video review looks better than what I was expecting from all the doom and gloom that seems to follow the game in other threads. It does not look groundbreaking by any means, but it looks very competent. I would imagine the team stuff and weapons give it a little bit of a twist too. When it comes to co-op shooters, that's about all you can hope for.

I picked up the Army of Two games for cheap when I wanted to play through something with a friend, and I imagine Fuse would do a somewhat better job of fulfilling that sort of desire. I'll look for it when the price goes down.

I think thats fair and mimics what I felt when I reviewed it. It has some really good parts mixed with some fairly adequate parts and it may take a bit more buy in from the gamer than other games.

As a lover of Army of Two Fuse is indeed better as a co-op game but might NOT be as fun as a shooter as Army of Two, in my opinion, was hilarious due to the two dudes doing electric guitar during battles:)

Massa

They're not random at all, they're completely biased. You're picking bad games to support some argument.

The fact is EA has been doing release day embargos for about a year or so at least.

... a mindless exercise in action over substance.
Ouch. Another review with gripes about the AI and the fail state that occurs when *any* player dies. That's worrisome.

But I thought the review was unnaturally harsh when it comes to Echelon mode.
Echelon mode, where you'll be farming funds, is literally the same thing you've seen in dozens of other games: a series of waves (12) punctuated by slight variations on theme (kill everything, kill a specific heavy, defend a point, breach a point).
What *dozens* of other games have horde modes with a mix of objectives?

Not looking too good for sales, but I assume everyone knew that already

XLL7azQ.png

deZbbRZ.png

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Was rather stunned to find myself enjoying the demo thoroughly.
Preordered the PS3 version from Amazon, and it shipped Saturday for delivery tomorrow.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
3AM to start DL Process for Fuse D1D, COME THE FUCK ON Sony!

12AM PDT!

ED(S)T ASSHOLES!

Karak

Ouch. Another review with gripes about the AI and the fail state that occurs when *any* player dies. That's worrisome.

But I thought the review was unnaturally harsh when it comes to Echelon mode.

What *dozens* of other games have horde modes with a mix of objectives?

Sigh ya the AI. Some people won't even notice the issue for others its going to really hamper them. One of the hardest reviews I have done actually.

antitrop

http://www.polygon.com/game/fuse/3524

Gies with the 6.5.

There's no reason to play Fuse alone. Even with two players, there's still an amount of micromanagement of the other characters required to make things work.

The shooting itself is fine — Fuse's basic mechanics are sound, the controls are responsive enough, and there's a competent cover system in play.

The core of a great person shooter is present in Fuse. The team-based insanity offers a unique take on the genre, and Insomniac's reputation for inventive weapons and creative combat helps too. But Fuse only comes together with three or four players, and even then, the late game combat design and boring-to-fight enemies stand in its way.

GraveRobberX

It's 3:03 AM NYC

So go to store, nothing

So fucking awesome, FUCK!

God I hate this shit so much, D1D is such a fucking cop out!

GraveRobberX

Unfuckingbelievable

Doesn't show up in DL list or purchase box, I just randomly type in Fuse into search, it pops straight away, fucking Sony

>_<

Small file too 4.9GB's... That's it o_O?

Top Bottom