• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FUSE |OT| 4 Players, 1 Co-op

Well, you can get free by yourself eventually. It just takes a while.

Well that's good to know. The A.I. has been good at getting me free when I've been grabbed. I just assumed you dropped into a critical state if your meter runs out.

Jacob + Charge Bolts = Problem Solved. So easy to kill. You'll still get caught from time to time, but it's pretty effective.

I've come to realize that Jacob's alt fire is pretty much amazing against any enemy type.

EDIT: Would love to know what the majority are playing on: X360 or PS3 as well... hope this type of post isn't frowned upon.

I'm playing on ps3 and while the game won't win any awards for graphics, the gameplay and framerate are super smooth.

The worst thing that happened playing FUSE last night was being bounced back to the menu when I had somehow lost connection to Origin. I was soloing in a private game too, where friends are *not* able to jump into the game.

I didn't know this was an always online game.

BigBoss

The worst thing that happened playing FUSE last night was being bounced back to the menu when I had somehow lost connection to Origin. I was soloing in a private game too, where friends are *not* able to jump into the game.

I didn't know this was an always online game.

Fuse offers that nextgen experience.

Fuse offers that nextgen experience.
Hah. No shit :/

Can somebody check to see whether you can play this game at all when offline? I would but I'm at work.

Just to be clear, I was playing a private solo campaign mission, without the option to have friends jump into the game, and midway through the second mission I got dropped back to the main menu with a message about how I was no longer connected to Origin and that no online features could be enabled.

To add salt to the wound my internet connection looked fine.

ezekial45

Banned
The game has a ton of issues, but I'm enjoying myself with it. Echelon mode is great fun. Way more enjoyable than the overlong campaign missions. You should've broke those up into acts, Insomniac!

I found myself digging Jacob more than anyone. I expected to main Dalton, but I end up using him the least.

8byte

Banned
Hah. No shit :/

Can somebody check to see whether you can play this game at all when offline? I would but I'm at work.

Just to be clear, I was playing a private solo campaign mission, without the option to have friends jump into the game, and midway through the second mission I got dropped back to the main menu with a message about how I was no longer connected to Origin and that no online features could be enabled.

To add salt to the wound my internet connection looked fine.

Yes, you can play offline. Just go to "Offline" when you start your campaign.

Just out of curiosity, are you going to play everything solo? I think you'll be missing out if you don't at least play a bit of co-op...

Yes, you can play offline. Just go to "Offline" when you start your campaign.

Just out of curiosity, are you going to play everything solo? I think you'll be missing out if you don't at least play a bit of co-op...
Offline? I saw two options for solo: "Solo", and "Solo Friends Can Join". I chose "Solo", and got kicked out of my game midway through because Origin choked on something.

Is there another option I missed?

And no, not intending this as purely a solo experience, but if its not fun both solo and multi I can't recommend it to my friends, and definitely not at $60. I'm the one in our group that took the risk on this purchase because of my previous feels for Insomniac ;P

8byte

Banned
Offline? I saw two options for solo: "Solo", and "Solo Friends Can Join". I chose "Solo", and got kicked out of my game midway through because Origin choked on something.

Is there another option I missed?

Yes, there's definitely an "Offline" option. Solo, Solo Friends, Offline, and Matchmaking.

Yes, there's definitely an "Offline" option. Solo, Solo Friends, Offline, and Matchmaking.
OK, good to know. Sounds redundant though. Is basic "solo" the same as "solo with friends" except that you need to specifically send an invite for people to join?

8byte

Banned
OK, good to know. Sounds redundant though. Is basic "solo" the same as "solo with friends" except that you need to specifically send an invite for people to join?

I believe Offline doesn't track stats for leaderboards, but otherwise is exactly the same as Solo.

I've got the 360 version. Will be live streaming some more from mission 3 tonight. If people want to join in my game, I'm down. Will be starting 6:30 MST. SlasherJPC is my handle. My friends list my be full but can just send me a message and say your from gaf.

I believe Offline doesn't track stats for leaderboards, but otherwise is exactly the same as Solo.

Thanks for that - I would have lost my shit otherwise. :)

Will do offline from here on out if only because I don't like Origin kicking me out of my games whenever it has a hiccup. I had similar problems with Ubisoft servers and Ghost Recon Future Soldier in co-op - all of our connections would be OK but we'd get dropped back to the lobby all the damn time.

Its the primary reason I won't support any always online platforms.

Edit: Some more initial impressions:

+ By the time you've unlocked your basic secondary fire mode, the game starts throwing a lot more stuff at you and battles get larger and crazier. Its definitely growing on me.
+ Am having a good time with leap. Izzy is my main, but I'll swap to Jacob for sniping, Dalton for CQC and Naya for stealth/crowd control. I'm using Dalton the least though, as the AI seems to be doing fine with him so far and I usually flank.
+ There is verticality to some of the battle spaces.
- Game is unpolished in a lot of small ways. Kicking open grates or opening them by hand, the way the AI allies will all just stand around like automatons whenever they're not in battle, and some of the ragdolls that merge bodies into floors and the like.
- So far there hasn't been as much variety to the level design. They levels have different overall "themes", each with their own non-interactive window dressing and backgrounds, but there isn't as much variety to the actual playable geometry of the environments.
? I'm still not used to the FUSE weapons not needing to be reloaded. Feels weird, man.

Gosh, I have such mixed feelings about the friendly A.I. Sometimes they're just brain dead but other times they're incredibly helpful.

Like, I approached a section that was supposed to be stealth kills but when I used leap to jump to another character that was closer to an enemy the character I was previously in charge of just runs in the room and starts firing off rounds like an idiot. Maybe we'll be in an elevator and all of a sudden Dalton puts on his shield and the other two take aim and start firing at enemies before we've even reached the floor we're headed to.

But then we'll be facing a lot of enemies and Naya will fire her Fuse weapon at one person in the middle and incapacitate a sizeable portion of them. Or Dalton will say "Shield's almost out of energy. You guys find some cover!" to which they'll go to the closest cover and hole up. Just feels like they needed a little bit more time in the oven to tune them right.

Also, Jacob is the one I'm using the least. His arrows lay traps if you shoot a couple on the floor right? I'm finding it hard to utilize him properly in combat.

WTF at the box art. what was their goal?

I didnt get the alternate box art with the heads at the bottom, then I thought. Wait. They cut the heads off the main box art? checked THEY DID! WTF!

Can someone explain WTF they were thinking with such a terrible terrible box art choice?

Plus whats this talk of origin kicking you offline? I thought origin was for PC games?

8byte

Banned
Insomniac will be playing in about 2 hours, in Echelon matchmaking. Here's the ID's of folks who will be online:

PSN:
igNostrander
igJoshLeman
igRyoon
igbschmalz

XBL:
InsomTCP
igKevinOsburn
igArtGeek

Toppot

Just finished single player, some thoughts

• Why the fuck does origin kick me out of a solo game? Piece of shit software.
  • It's not bad but not great overall
  • You can see heavy influences from Vanquish, especially near the end.
  • Story is ok, only Dalton and Naya really get any development.
  • Game is a bit of a drag to get through, very samey.
  • Friendly AI is dumb as shit sometimes.

Great ending though! Sets up a sequel perfectly! I'm pumped.

Talking of sequels, I think they could make a very good sequel after learning from the mistakes in this one.

8byte

Banned
I've got a very (very) long write up / review / etc that I should have finished within the next few days. Excited to share all of my thoughts with everyone, I think people will be surprised, to say the least.

[*]Why the fuck does origin kick me out of a solo game? Piece of shit software.
Look up a few posts. Same thing happened to me last night. Guess there are three ways to play solo: Solo, Solo Offline, and Solo Friends Can Join.

I'll be playing Solo Offline from here on out when soloing, but it is annoying when compared to the competition. Neither Gears or Borderlands or Halo, etc have ever kicked me back to the main menu when soloing.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Just finished single player, some thoughts

• Story is ok, only Dalton and Naya really get any development.

Great ending though! Sets up a sequel perfectly! I'm pumped.

Talking of sequels, I think they could make a very good sequel after learning from the mistakes in this one.

yeah, though that leaves us lots of room for Izzy / Jacob ;-)

In case it wasn't mentioned, you can play the full game on PS3 for free for an hour if you're a PSN+ member. I downloaded it earlier today and am going to give that horde mode a shot tonight.

Grisby

Beat the game. Well...that was a videogame ass videogame ending. Really short, seemed like it was under a minute or so.

(Major ending spoilers)
I kind of figured that using the weapons and over exposure to fuse might make the team infected with it. Was pleased that the theory turned out to be true.
That could set up for some crazy shit in the sequel. And the sequel needs to be crazy. Going to bed in a bit so I'll post some more views on the overall experience.

Cool that you can use the skins for SP once you've completed the game.

Also, Jacob is the one I'm using the least. His arrows lay traps if you shoot a couple on the floor right? I'm finding it hard to utilize him properly in combat.

Jacob's alt is great for clearing out shield enemies. Once you've upgraded his ability you can shoot a bolt behind them and expose 4 guys at once. And don't forget that if your regular shot doesn't kill an enemy the bolt is still attached to him so hit alt to deal extra damage.

In case it wasn't mentioned, you can play the full game on PS3 for free for an hour if you're a PSN+ member. I downloaded it earlier today and am going to give that horde mode a shot tonight.
Can you play Echelon instead of campaign on PSN+? Because the first hour or so of the campaign is just warmup and tutorials for the most part, and without upgrades you get dropped very, very quickly. By the end of mission one you've got some durability and maybe half-way through mission two you're rocking your secondary and things start to heat up.

Just finished mission three and hot damn things are nice and hectic now. Battles are larger, multi-faceted, multi-storied and involve more heavies. There are stealth approaches and flanks to exploit with a solid mix of ranges at work so you'll always have sniping opportunities, close quarters mashups and everything in between available to you.

Solo is still fine, and I'm playing a nice mix of everybody except Dalton. He seems to be the best lifeline if I get downed because he'll pop the shield and then slow walk to me and revive without having to lower the shield. Although Naya is probably the most fun all around. I set her up with a shotgun and take the stealth approach until things get nuts, then look for melee takedown opportunities when I'm not trying to chain wormhole entire groups of enemies.

Yeah, mission three is the first time where, for me, its felt like the agents are at the right level, and the mix of enemies and environments is varied enough for the game to fire on all cylinders and remind me of Resistance 2 co-op.

Its still visually "generic" for lack of a better term, and reminds me of a mix of the original Army of Two and Perfect Dark Zero of all things. Not exactly the most exciting blend of styles ;P The original art style or any art style with a cleaner, simpler look would do this game more justice I think.

But the game is fun, and now that I'm playing solo in "offline" mode, I haven't been kicked back to the main menu either. Yeah, fuck off Origin.

At this point I'm OK with recommending it to my co-op buddies on the basis of it being like Resistance 2.

Me and my friends finally fired this bad boy up and were having a absolute blast with it. The upgrading scheme is great and the game really lends itself well to people teaming up. Great job Insomniac.

Xevren

I keep getting awful bugs when I try to play campaign so I pretty much gave up on that and tried out Echelon tonight. Oh man I do like it, now that I at least got SOME levels I'm not completely useless. Gameplay is fun stuff, really like playing as the medic chick.

VASPER

Banned
Alright so i picked this game up because i love insomniac and pretty much everything they have done. Now i think this game controls really well and is generally fun to play with the Fuze weapons and all. Now i must say i knew what i was getting into, It really has no character and kinda feels like it's riffing off Borderlands 2 in some ways. I wish it had something to make it stick out, no one is interested at my store and it's kinda sad...

Posting this here because it is too good (and a bit sad at the same time) to pass

[ Overstike/Fuse Assets 2011-2012 ]
Thank the Maker that those previous incarnations of Izzy got cut. I like the smirky lass we ended up with.

I'm also digging Dalton. Naya's accent is too over the top bad, and Kimble is just visually missing something. Dunno. Definitely prefer his Overstrike version.

Also like how clean and slick the cut version of the drone looked.

Elginer

Seriously love the hell out of this game, hope it does well enough for a next-gen sequel. I see promise in this balls to the wall co-op. But for the love of Ratchet fix that AI Insomniac!

PSN is TheConstantine if anyone wants to hit up some co-op later tonight.

Toppot

Now I've had some time with Echelon I thought I'd share my opinions on that.
  • It's pretty fun =]
  • Good difficulty.
  • You earn Fuse credits and XP like I don't know what!
  • AI is not so bad in this mode, they will prioritize healing people.

When you stack it up against Resistance 2's co-op there are some differences. In Fuse:
  • Levelling up is much faster
  • Levels are very boxy
  • Much more intense fights as you have to get up close a lot
  • Enemy AI is smarter and will flank you
  • More complex team work
  • Fuse ammo is precious, you can get perks that help but there's no class that hands it out to you like R2

Fuse is a more refined system, and so long as you have human team mates, it is better and more fun to play than R2's co-op.

My only worry is longevity of the game. If you play a lot you will be max level in a few days with all characters (Far too easy to level up online compared to single player), after that all there is is to buy perks and skins. Then when you have 5 stared all the levels there's not much reason to play other than fun.

New maps, new perks or new character levels, would be great, but for now it's fine.

Look up a few posts. Same thing happened to me last night. Guess there are three ways to play solo: Solo, Solo Offline, and Solo Friends Can Join.

I'll be playing Solo Offline from here on out when soloing, but it is annoying when compared to the competition. Neither Gears or Borderlands or Halo, etc have ever kicked me back to the main menu when soloing.

Thanks =] I shall go with Offline next time I touch single player. EA shitastic Origin system is to blame, the backlash against these systems will swing into full force next generation.

yeah, though that leaves us lots of room for Izzy / Jacob ;-)

That it does ;)

I'm so cruel, I made a friend who works at Insomniac watch me play while I pointed out all the lighting errors to him over FaceTime :).

Playing Offline Solo right now since I refuse to accept the Origin terms of service (looks like MP is dead if you don't agree?). Interesting choices with mechanics, I like the fuse canister bits, the bonuses for sustained weapon fire with singularity, hope it continues to evolve now that I've finished the first mission (got cloak on level-up after killing boss). Wish it didn't end in a staid trope; do something interesting narrative-wise with that situation!

highrider

Banned
Is echelon mode worthwhile with ai/solo play? I like the demo a lot but it's tough for me to set up Co op games. I've never not played an insomniac game so I'm picking it up on 360 today. I gave my son my ps3 but I'm curious if it sells better on either platform.

Toppot

Is echelon mode worthwhile with ai/solo play? I like the demo a lot but it's tough for me to set up Co op games. I've never not played an insomniac game so I'm picking it up on 360 today. I gave my son my ps3 but I'm curious if it sells better on either platform.

Soloing isn't really what its designed for, you can play it and have fun with the AI but I think getting to above Wave 10 (Of 15) would be hard on your own. There is Quickplay, which will set you up with random people, which is a luck of the draw.

There won't be sales data for a while, as discussed earlier, 360 version sold better on Amazon than PS3, so take that as you will.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Ugh why are people so stupid in this fucking game

I go out of my way to stash the Big Heavy Weapons for the latter rounds + Wave 6 & 12

Assholes just use it on grunts, the Flamethrower alone destroys the Big Boys health

Hell the Titan is OP in this game, wrecks the living shit out of any Lead-"____"

Seriously, some people just don't know how to play the fucking game right, always thinking there bad-ass wasting ammo of Heavy Weapons on grunts... FUCK!

Made a dent in the Trophy Department for Fuse, was away for a few days
Got Jacob to level 35 and got his 2 Silvers, finished the last 2 maps I needed for 5 star all Echelon maps, now to grind the other 3 chars + Fuse Credit Hoarding begins

Seriously James, if there is a sequel to this, Can you please put a fucking tutorial or how to play video please, do it like how you do Ratchet Weapon vids when you purchase or upgrade them
Hell splash screen while the game is fucking loading with huge ass "PRO-TIP, kill Wave 6 & 12 Enemies within the time given, get Fuck-ton of Credits"
Green Cash Bags & Stacks of Gold Bricks everywhere, I'm drowning in them!

8byte

Banned
Soloing isn't really what its designed for, you can play it and have fun with the AI but I think getting to above Wave 10 (Of 15) would be hard on your own. There is Quickplay, which will set you up with random people, which is a luck of the draw.

There won't be sales data for a while, as discussed earlier, 360 version sold better on Amazon than PS3, so take that as you will.

It's 12 rounds total in Echelon :)

I've managed to 5 star nearly all of them solo, so take that as you will. Using leap effectively makes it pretty easy :)

Top Bottom