• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FUSE |OT| 4 Players, 1 Co-op

Loudninja

These weapons are awesome. Insomniac always gets that right. I'm enjoying this a lot more than the usual Gears/COD meathead shooters. Also, Echelon is hard! Its hitting all the right buttons from Resistance 2 co op.
Yep love IG weapons.

Also I am very glad to hear all the great R2 comparisons.

Ugh, the chat won't load for me at work. Will sub to your channel though. How do you crop out everything behind you? Green screen?

Thanks man and yeah green screen. :p The first level was long. I wonder if the rest are that long. Had a blast though! :D

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Glad to hear a bunch of you are having fun with the game in co-op. ill jump on some this week when Im back from this wedding and maybe caught up on Arrested Development ;-)

Grisby

I tell ya I miss the Overstrike aesthetic but the game does have a very clean look.

1 more level till I get to try out the fuse grenade.

Getting that R2 co-op vibe...and I plugged 50+ hours into that mode.

And that's just fine right now.

But seriously, have the players move AWAY from the exploding wall, IG!

Is anyone that's playing this game solo just sticking with one character? I'm an hour plus into the first level and just don't see how anyone could play that way. Enemies hit way too quickly to just sit in one spot and try to chip away at them.

And count me in the minority but I prefer the more realistic look of the graphics. Being a huge Resistance and Killzone fan, I'm glad Fuse skews more towards them then Borderlands.

Seventy5

Is anyone that's playing this game solo just sticking with one character? I'm an hour plus into the first level and just don't see how anyone could play that way. Enemies hit way too quickly to just sit in one spot and try to chip away at them.

And count me in the minority but I prefer the more realistic look of the graphics. Being a huge Resistance and Killzone fan, I'm glad Fuse skews more towards them then Borderlands.
I have been playing solo so far, only because Netflix was sapping bandwidth. I played only as Naya (warp gun is so awesome) because I pretty much forgot about LEAP. Probably woulda made the first boss easier.

depward

Had some decent fun with this last night. Played through the first mission or whatnot. Some initial thoughts:

1) Would it have killed EA to include an instruction manual? I know this is the trend these days but would like to have had some kind of paper reference as to what the different types of labels mean when I'm shooting dudes / dudettes. I even think - when done well enough - instruction manuals can flesh out a game's story and characters.

2) A.I. - particularly friendly - is pretty horrible. Played with two other people and had the CPU control the tank and he was activating his shield and staying behind us, sometimes he would activate it in an elevator before it even stopped, helping us know, "OK, bad guys are going to appear this way when this stops." In a game that is so focused on co-op, feel bad for people who have to put up with two or three CPU friendlies.

3) Don't mind the "ha ha" writing, in fact, kinda makes me chuckle.

4) When you're blasting a hole in the wall, why do you set explosives and then just barely move out of the way? Just so, so, so weird looking.

All in all, so far, a decent co-op shooter that does feel a bit like R2 co-op. I hope the boss fights get more intense, though.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I might grab it as a Digital Download... i dont wanna wait a couple of weeks for a physical copy.

jtrov

Just picked this up this morning and four hours later I still haven't touched the campaign. I tried a match of Echelon mode when I first started the game and I just couldn't stop playing. Man... that mode is a rush so far at the early stages of leveling up your character. Just waves and waves of enemies and chaos happening at all times. It's just incredibly fun, especially when you get a full squad of human controlled players and work together to mow down some dudes while collecting some money bags. I can already see myself getting lost in this mode much like ME3's multiplayer. I'm still at the early stages of using Fuse credits, but I do hope they are able to support this mode in the future.

I doubt anyone I know will be picking this game up, so if anyone wants to add me for so co-op then feel free.

My Xbox 360 GT is: jtrov

8byte

Banned
Just picked this up this morning and four hours later I still haven't touched the campaign. I tried a match of Echelon mode when I first started the game and I just couldn't stop playing. Man... that mode is a rush so far at the early stages of leveling up your character. Just waves and waves of enemies and chaos happening at all times. It's just incredibly fun, especially when you get a full squad of human controlled players and work together to mow down some dudes while collecting some money bags. I can already see myself getting lost in this mode much like ME3's multiplayer. I'm still at the early stages of using Fuse credits, but I do hope they are able to support this mode in the future.

I doubt anyone I know will be picking this game up, so if anyone wants to add me for so co-op then feel free.

My Xbox 360 GT is: jtrov

Echelon is some of the best co-op fun I've had in a long long time. So much fun. I'm really hoping that Insomniac has their sights set on a higher difficulty setting or endless mode with progressively harder enemies. While fun, players who are good will quickly find that maxed out characters make the mode easier. Really want some crazy intense stuff to challenge players.

monkey666

Banned
Getting that R2 co-op vibe...and I plugged 50+ hours into that mode.

And that's just fine right now.

But seriously, have the players move AWAY from the exploding wall, IG!

I laughed out loud during that part on the demo. Just stand right next to the bomb the blows up cement but cover your ears, don't want to damage your hearing.

Honest question, what makes the echelon mode in this better than the prospector mode in Starhawk? As a bitter SHawk fan longing for MP Zones mode matches, I do feel they have an impressive co-op mode with randomized waves of enemies and your teams' need to protect a mining structure with a dozen or so vehicles, walls, turrets and other structures with the press of a button. What here, justifies the purchase?

AKA get Starhawk for the co-op mode but stay for Zones MP please!
not the reason for my post. I just feel bad for these possibly decent games that lack a specific oomph that sells.

Grisby

Echelon mode is fuuuuuuun. Love playing medic in these types of games. Wish some of the bosses had more tactics to them though.

Everyone be stealin' my moneybags.

Got up to the giant Russian Steve Blum boss and promptly sent it back to Gamefly, less than 24 hours after I received it. That was just way too stupid for me.

I actually dug the game for the first hour or so. The Xenotech weapons were fun to shoot, the cover mechanics were well done (cover being mapped to it's own button is a smart move), and I kind of enjoyed the banter between the squad members (thanks the great voice cast, always great to hear more Brian Bloom), but my enjoyment quickly wore off.

The poor friendly-AI, the boring plot, uninteresting antagonists, and general feeling of repetition quickly turned my enjoyment to boredom.

Insomniac really needed to expand on the Xenotech weapons. I think there needed to be more than just four of them.

Grisby

"Hey Jacob, wanna come fight these dudes?"
"Nah, it's cool. I'm gonna stay at the beginning of the level."

Single player AI is just rough. I'm thinking of when JS was on Weekend Confirmed a week or two back and the gang was talking about how hard it is to balance companion AI in a game like this. If a Fuse 2 gets made I hope they go back to the drawing board find a better middle ground, both for AI and overall mission structure.

"Hey Jacob, wanna come fight these dudes?"
"Nah, it's cool. I'm gonna stay at the beginning of the level."

Single player AI is just rough. I'm thinking of when JS was on Weekend Confirmed a week or two back and the gang was talking about how hard it is to balance companion AI in a game like this. If a Fuse 2 gets made I hope they go back to the drawing board find a better middle ground, both for AI and overall mission structure.

Pretty much why I refuse (i'm not trying to pun, honest) to pick this up. 90 percent of my gaming is SP and yeah, i'm still totally bummed that Insomniac double-downed on bro-gaming this round :(

So far I've played through two levels, and levels in this game are loooong, so thats a good thing.

The AI has been far more helpful than a hindrance, with only one brainfart occurring early on when I got dropped and each AI ran up to save me, one at a time, and each got downed by withering fire, one by one, until we lost the mission.

Besides that one moment, which I don't think will happen again because a: The durability/regen/health boost upgrades are on the first level of the skill tree and quickly acquired, and b: I know now to crawl my ass to better safety before stopping to let them heal me.

Not to say they're pulling combos that I can control or rely upon, but Dalton *will* come to my aid, shield at the ready, to save me when needed, and they do still make use of their powers.

They aren't as good as the AI in Gears Judgment, but most allied AI isn't. But like its been mentioned your mileage may vary. We'll see if I have the same track record by the end, and then I'll give solo Echelon a shot.

Toppot

Copy arrived a day early! (UK) =D

lRELD2q.png

I hope I like it =P

Man I hate the inflitrator units. You just lose track track of them with all the crap going on. I wish there was a way you could power out of their hold.

8byte

Banned
Man I hate the inflitrator units. You just lose track track of them with all the crap going on. I wish there was a way you could power out of their hold.

Jacob + Charge Bolts = Problem Solved. So easy to kill. You'll still get caught from time to time, but it's pretty effective.

8byte

Banned
I didn't do it out of any sort of malice. I hate to see that. But I think it's relevant given the game has only been out three days.

I don't think you had any sort of intent for malice, however, it was made pretty clear in the beginning of the thread by a mod to avoid posting "bomba" related things, as it shits up the topic with meaningless discussion. Sales age stuff can stay in sales age threads ;) Or one of the other 40 Fuse threads discussing sales (like, perhaps, the review thread?).

LTWood12

I don't think you had any sort of intent for malice, however, it was made pretty clear in the beginning of the thread by a mod to avoid posting "bomba" related things, as it shits up the topic with meaningless discussion. Sales age stuff can stay in sales age threads ;) Or one of the other 40 Fuse threads discussing sales (like, perhaps, the review thread?).

That's fair. I wish I hadn't done it now. Sorry.

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
I liked the demo well enough, but I'm NOT interested in playing this solo, and none of my buddies play console games.

Would GAFers be up for some co-op this weekend? Might grab this tomorrow.

EDIT: Would love to know what the majority are playing on: X360 or PS3 as well... hope this type of post isn't frowned upon.

8byte

Banned
That's fair. I wish I hadn't done it now. Sorry.
No worries dude! You're a cool dude, no need to apologize :)
I liked the demo well enough, but I'm NOT interested in playing this solo, and none of my buddies play console games.

Would GAFers be up for some co-op this weekend? Might grab this tomorrow.

EDIT: Would love to know what the majority are playing on: X360 or PS3 as well... hope this type of post isn't frowned upon.

I know a lot of us have PS3, but I'm sure there's a fair amount of people playing on 360 as well.

Top Bottom