• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G1 Climax 24 |OT| New Japan Pro-Wrestling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crowd woke up a little bit for that match, still not great though. And I'm getting fucked in the pick'ems so far. Need Yujiro to win this and get me back on track.

Very much enjoyed that, sick ending as well.

Karl vs Goto up next, former tag partners Sword & Guns collide!

*edit, yyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeaaahhh!! That fucking ruled, awesome finishing stretch.

ghostmind

Ok, that match rocked! Great work between Anderson and Goto and a kick-ass finishing sequence!

Anderson is better than any other gaijin (currently with NJPW) in connecting with the audience.

Yeah, surprised he got Archer over for that. Was expecting him to try the Gotch-style piledriver again.

Pretty good match, Suzuki's been solid this G1 but none of his matches have reached that top level as of yet. He's wrestling AJ on the next show, though. And it's at Korakuen. I'm betting it'll be pretty great.

Wasn't a bad match, Nak's selling made the first half before he went into auto-pilot towards the end.

Real interested to see how AJ does with Tenzan.

ghostmind

Both Tenzan and AJ are putting a ton of effort into their matches, and it shows.

If this is Tenzan's last G1, he is going out strong.

Yeah, very good effort from both guys. I really enjoyed seeing AJ have to figure out how to take the big man down and was surprised he got him up for the finish.

ghostmind

That was a good match, but by Ishii standards I don't think it measured up to some of the other ones he has been in this G1. The finish seemed weak as well.

I think it lacked some excitement because everyone knew Tana was getting his win back, but I really enjoyed the match and that was largely due to Ishii's on-point comebacks (that headbutt) and Tanahashi's structuring of the match.

Incidentally, the move he dunked Ishii on his head with before the High Fly Flow was the Twelve Six, which he rarely uses these days. I can't actually remember the last time he used it - anywho, during the match I was thinking "wow, Tanahashi's sure hitting a hell of a lot of slingblades" and then, lo and behold, he busts out not only the Twelve Six, but also the slingblade into a dragon suplex spot he hasn't much used recently either. Both big head drop moves that played on the repeated slingblades.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds like a solid night. Can't wait to get home and watch.

Just under 2 hours until Day 7;

NJPW, "G1 CLIMAX - DAY 7", 2014/08/01
Tokyo Korakuen Hall

18:30 JST | 11:30 EU | 10:30 UK | 05:30 EDT | 02:30 PDT

01. G1 Climax - Block A: Satoshi Kojima vs Shelton Benjamin
02. G1 Climax - Block B: Toru Yano vs Lance Archer
03. G1 Climax - Block B: Yujiro Takahashi vs Karl Anderson
04. G1 Climax - Block A: Davey Boy Smith Jr. vs Doc Gallows
05. G1 Climax - Block B: Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs Hirooki Goto
06. G1 Climax - Block A: Tomoaki Honma vs Bad Luck Fale
07. G1 Climax - Block B: Togi Makabe vs Tetsuya Naito
08. G1 Climax - Block B: AJ Styles vs Minoru Suzuki
09. G1 Climax - Block A: Yuji Nagata vs Katsuyori Shibata
10. G1 Climax - Block A: Shinsuke Nakamura vs Tomohiro Ishii

A fairly top-heavy card here, top four matches all look to be pretty good. Tenzan vs Goto should be OK, given Tenzan's recent form and, while there aren't many stand-out matches in the first half, a usually-rowdy Korakuen crowd should be of some help.

ghostmind

And the dubbed intros are back!

Looking forward to that main event, and to see if Honma can prevail over Fale (probably not sadly)....

Also curious to see what the dynamic will be between Styles and Suzuki.

I think Lance was surprised the crowd chanted LANCE AR-CHER!! along with him when he jacked Yano's taunt. Fun match though. I like Archer's finisher.

Now, let's see if Yujiro can get through a match without dropping his opponent...

Gallows does very little to stand out amongst the big gaijins in New Japan - Davey's technical as well as a powerhouse, Lance is a little crazy and has a sweet move-set, Fale's intimidating and has a well-protected finisher. Doc doesn't have much to work with, in comparison (and his finish sucks).

*edit, that was probably Doc's best match of the tournament yet. Love Davey Boy's catch suplex.

ghostmind

God damn the crowd is hot for Tenzan vs Goto!

Tenzan continuing his showcase of talent for this G1. He has totally exceeded expectations.

ghostmind

The crowd wants Honma to win this so badly.

Really good match with Fale there. Honma took that Bad Luck Fall a bit hard on his neck.

The crowd are going to explode when Honma finally gets his win (on the penultimate show against Shelton, I'd guess). And yeah, that was a fucking nasty-ass bump on the Bad Luck Fall. Honma is nuts.

ghostmind

Wow, this crowd really doesn't like Naito. Solid chants for Makabe and loud boos whenever Naito pulls off a move.

Even the heels like Bullet Club don't get boo-ed like this.

Holy shit, the crowd goes nuts when Naito's head gets rammed into the ringpost!

Fuck, that was a brutal finish. Makabe's lariats were crazy painful-looking throughout.

Also, Korakuen's just about the most hardcore New Japan crowd - Naito's managed to turn the negative reactions around pretty much everywhere else, but not Korakuen it seems and certainly not in a face vs face match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom