• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G1 Climax 24 |OT| New Japan Pro-Wrestling

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostmind

Holy shit at that match! This could easily have been the main event!

And AJ chants after the match. I think the New Japan fans have officially accepted him. He's earned it.

Fuck, that was amazing. I don't think I have the words to properly express how enjoyable of a match that was, everything was fucking perfect, including the Bullet Club/Suzuki-gun interference. LOVED IT, MAGGLE!

ghostmind

Nagata and Shibata are beating the shit out of each other.

Nagata showing Shibata that he can go the distance.

After the match Nagata seems like the one with the most gas left in the tank. Fuck, how does he do it?

ghostmind

Day 7 Top Matches
Ishii vs. Nakamura
Styles vs. Suzuki
Nagata vs. Shibata
Honma vs. Fale

I didn't think anything was going to top Styles vs. Suzuki, but as the Ishii vs. Nakamura match went on, it kept climbing up the list.

Just an amazing main event - huge performances by both men.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck, that was so, so awesome. What a great second half to the show. I'd probably rank it;

1. Styles vs Suzuki
2. Nakamura vs Ishii
3. Shibata vs Nagata
4. Tenzan vs Goto

GIFs;

Ishii2.gif

Ishii3.gif

Nakamura1.gif

I'm bummed I missed Styles v. Suzuki. I've been looking forward to that for weeks. Nakamura v. Ishii kicked ass though. Glad I caught that.

Suzuki vs AJ was great, loved how berserk Suzuki went after the bullet club taunt.

And it was great to hear the recognition AJ got after the match, guy deserved after hes last years in TNA.

jred2k

It's a real credit to the booking of NJPW that they can have a tournament like this where there has to be a winner, yet nobody really looks like a joke. The same tournament in the WWE would just have one or two people win all their matches, and most others in the tournament would look like shit.

A match like Ishii/Nakamura really makes the winner look prestigious, too. These guys are in a stable together, but they don't mind beating the living hell out of each other because the prize at the end is worth it. It's amazing how believable, for lack of a better term, they can make the whole thing.

It's a real credit to the booking of NJPW that they can have a tournament like this where there has to be a winner, yet nobody really looks like a joke. The same tournament in the WWE would just have one or two people win all their matches, and most others in the tournament would look like shit.

A match like Ishii/Nakamura really makes the winner look prestigious, too. These guys are in a stable together, but they don't mind beating the living hell out of each other because the prize at the end is worth it. It's amazing how believable, for lack of a better term, they can make the whole thing.

I had the EXACT same thought during Ishii/Nakamura. Nakamura was bumping like a madman for Ishii, but he still looked extremely strong. It's like the total opposite of Ziggler booking in The 'E where he's bouncing all over the arena but constantly looks like a loser, and only gets pops now basically because people can see his talent and feel sympathetic towards his non-push.

There's not a single person in this tourny who looks like a loser, even the guys who are losing or the weaker wrestlers.

Yeah! This are the three best weeks of wrestling in the year.

Also this thread is great, if only the guys in the wrestling thread enjoy their product of choice like you guys do, thanks!

Jamie OD

Finally caught up on the shows and so far the tournament has been on par with last year. Day 7 is one of the best shows of the year with the final 4 matches being unmissable. Ishii, Honma, Styles & Naito have been killing it. Tenzan has totally proven me wrong when it comes to surviving the tour and is having the strong kind of performance Kojima had last year. The Bullet Club have been the most bearable to me since Devitt left. Yano's matches are the most fun they've ever been. My fave matches have been Nakamura Vs Shibata, Ishii Vs Honma, Naito Vs Styles, Tanahashi Vs Shibata, Honma Vs Nakamura and the final 4 matches from Day 7.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
All caught up as of this morning! Day 7 is unbelievable, and everything Jamie OD said as well. It's been wonnnnnderful!

NoRéN

I had the EXACT same thought during Ishii/Nakamura. Nakamura was bumping like a madman for Ishii, but he still looked extremely strong. It's like the total opposite of Ziggler booking in The 'E where he's bouncing all over the arena but constantly looks like a loser, and only gets pops now basically because people can see his talent and feel sympathetic towards his non-push.

There's not a single person in this tourny who looks like a loser, even the guys who are losing or the weaker wrestlers.

I recently started watching again do to my sisters getting into it. During a ziggler match the 13 year old goes, "That guy with the pink, he's really good. Like, he's not boring even when he loses. Why don't they do more with him?"

a freaking 13 year old gets it. Why can't WWE?

Back to the tournament, AJ Styles. Gotta say i was pleasantly surprised.

Finally got around to watching Suzuki v. Styles. That was fantastic. AJ has been on the run of his life the past few weeks, and I really think match quality wise he's been the wrestler of the year so far. Suzuki has been spinning his wheels in his endless feud with Toru Yano, so it was nice to see him cut loose and show he's still an all-world worker in big time matches. The G1 reminds me why I love wrestling. So good.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm calling 1 successful Kokeshi tonight!

NoRéN;123759437 said:
I recently started watching again do to my sisters getting into it. During a ziggler match the 13 year old goes, "That guy with the pink, he's really good. Like, he's not boring even when he loses. Why don't they do more with him?"

a freaking 13 year old gets it. Why can't WWE?

Back to the tournament, AJ Styles. Gotta say i was pleasantly surprised.

Now, show her some old Curt Hennig and Shawn Michaels matches so she can see what a much better version of Ziggler, with actual working skills beyond bumping looks like.

ghostmind

Day 8 begins!

Bootaaay said:
NJPW, "G1 CLIMAX - DAY 8", 2014/08/03
Osaka BODYMAKER Colosseum

17:00 JST | 10:00 EU | 09:00 UK | 04:00 EDT | 01:00 PDT

01. G1 Climax - Block A: Tomohiro Ishii vs Davey Boy Smith Jr.
02. G1 Climax - Block B: Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs Toru Yano
03. G1 Climax - Block A: Yuji Nagata vs Shelton Benjamin
04. G1 Climax - Block A: Satoshi Kojima vs Doc Gallows
05. G1 Climax - Block B: Hirooki Goto vs Tetsuya Naito
06. G1 Climax - Block B: AJ Styles vs Lance Archer
07. G1 Climax - Block B: Togi Makabe vs Minoru Suzuki
08. G1 Climax - Block A: Tomoaki Honma vs Katsuyori Shibata
09. G1 Climax - Block B: Kazuchika Okada vs Yujiro Takahashi
10. G1 Climax - Block A: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Shinsuke Nakamura

Fucking hyped for Shibata vs Honma, wouldn't be at all surprised if Nakamura & Tanahashi put on another MOTYC, though.

JesseEwiak said:
Now, show her some old Curt Hennig and Shawn Michaels matches so she can see what a much better version of Ziggler, with actual working skills beyond bumping looks like.

Hey Jesse, I presume that's you kicking ass in the Voices of Wrestling pick'ems? Congrats.

Yeah, I think it got put out of socket on the tiger suplex from Davey Boy. Looks like they popped it back in post-match, hopefully he's OK and can continue in the tournament.

Good opening match, not sure if Ishii should've kicked out of the Bulldog Bomb, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom