• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G1 Climax 24 |OT| New Japan Pro-Wrestling

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's amazing that Honma wasn't even meant to be in this damn thing. No disrespect to Ibushi, but I couldn't have seen myself enjoying his matches as much as I've enjoyed Honma's.

What a goddamn amazing tournament.

Jamie OD

It's amazing that Honma wasn't even meant to be in this damn thing. No disrespect to Ibushi, but I couldn't have seen myself enjoying his matches as much as I've enjoyed Honma's.

What a goddamn amazing tournament.

Honma should have been there in the first place but in hindsight I don't know who to replace him with if Ibushi was healthy. I would have said Tenzan but he's been great and miraculously injury free.

ghostmind

Honma should have been there in the first place but in hindsight I don't know who to replace him with if Ibushi was healthy. I would have said Tenzan but he's been great and miraculously injury free.

I would have taken Ibushi for Gallows.

I agree regarding Honma - at first I was disappointed that Ibushi wasn't going to be in the tournament, but with every match Honma has been in, I have been turned into a Honmamaniac.

Yeah, Tenzan is killing it. Kojima hasn't had quite as hot of a tournament as last years, so maybe I'd drop him for Ibushi. Or Yujiro, because he sucks.

*edit, oh yeah, Gallows.

Jamie OD

I like how this year's G1 is also being built around ending minor feuds. Okada Vs Yujiro, Nagata Vs Shibata, Goto Vs Makabe, etc.

THIS MATCH RIGHT NOW

EDIT: All those reversals and teases at the end got me so hype. Great main event, ANOTHER great show.

This G1 is ridiculous.

ghostmind

Day 8 Top Matches
Honma vs. Shibata
Styles vs. Archer
Nakamura vs. Tanahashi
Naito vs. Goto
Nagata vs. Benjamin

Too many excellent matches tonight to narrow it down further. G1 is almost an embarrassment of riches.

Holy fuck, that show. That match. That fucking Dragon Screw reversal from Shinsuke. Hot damn.

I don't know how you go about topping a show like that - 5-6 matches were all at least **** or above, but Honma vs Shibata was my personal MOTN. Fantastic stuff.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
NIGHT 8 STARTING NOW

gok my break fass ready to watch and eat everything

Update on Ishii;

Tomohiro Ishii is believed to have suffered a separated shoulder in his match with Davey Boy Smith Jr. in Osaka. The injury was when they were doing a Frankenseiner reveral spot and Ishii landed on his shoulder. He finished the match and still used a brainbuster for the finish. Wrestlers could not believe he still did the brainbuster.

Miraculously, at this point, no wrestler has even missed one date. Ishii has tomorrow's show in Nagoya off and is scheduled to face Katsuyori Shibata on Wednesday in Takamatsu.

Ishii is a goddamn machine, hope he can still go against Shibata but a separated shoulder may be too serious of an injury.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Hope Ishii will be okay. He's been a machine. I hope he makes it. Separated shoulder is serious business

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
im still on day 3 :(

its much better than day 2 tho. Im hyped for day 4, I remember you guys saying it was awesome

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Also, Naito on night 8 was unbelievable. He looks like the littlest babbyface ever on previous nights but goddamn did he piss the crowd off. It was beautiful.

jred2k

Anywho, Meltzer going in hard with his praise for the G1;

"The last two nights were not just two of the best shows of the year, but they're probably two of the five best shows I've ever seen. This is the greatest tournament in pro wrestling history and it's not even a close call. Last years' was the best I'd ever seen and this year blows away last year."

The G1 might be tough on the wrestler's, but it seems to be a great method of creating fans. It's pretty amazing to see how the popularity of NJPW seems to have grown in North America over the past year and a half. Whether or not it is actually resulting in increased revenue for New Japan is another story, I guess.

Has there been anything said officially about what the plan is with iPPV going forward once it stops being offered through Ustream?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
guys, its day 4 time

also, does anyone know the current scorecard?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
guys, its day 4 time

also, does anyone know the current scorecard?

You don't want spoilers! Go watch! The best is yet to come - this G1 has been fucking BANANAS.

I would assume NJPW either finds a replacement (there are some around), or just does it themselves.

Also, I have not watched much of this G1, because my Birthday Supernova takes priority. I need match recs.

jred2k

I would assume NJPW either finds a replacement (there are some around), or just does it themselves.

Also, I have not watched much of this G1, because my Birthday Supernova takes priority. I need match recs.

Here's Bootaaay's post from the Wrasslin' OT:

I think AJ Styles is the leader in the clubhouse for wrestler of the year. Just an incredible run in the G1, a run I didn't think he had in him.

Rhaknar

God damn it Suzuki, stop slapping fools so hard, now Tenzan's bleeding from the mouth lol >_> Good match, as was Bad Luck Fale vs Kojima, Shelton vs Davey Boy was a dud tho :/

I assume the best is yet to come on day 4 (I haven't gotten to any of the matches listed above as the best for day 4)

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I think AJ Styles is the leader in the clubhouse for wrestler of the year. Just an incredible run in the G1, a run I didn't think he had in him.

Yup. All of his matchups have been worth watching. His worst, probably, are against other gaijins - and they're still good.

Rhaknar

HOLY SHITBALLS AT THIS HONMA vs ISHII FIGHT OMGMNGHHJDNSJDSIKOAK

i cant watch shit like this at work god fucking damn it im jumping on my chair here like a 10 year old, that was fucking amazing!!!

Ishii takes the scariest, most ridiculous / amazing looking DDTs ever, those brainbusters, those elbows / slaps, JESUS CHRIST THAT WAS SO GOOD

also, another lowblow / rollup win for Toru Yanu, what a waste of Goto :/

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

i cant watch shit like this at work god fucking damn it im jumping on my chair here like a 10 year old, that was fucking amazing!!!

Ishii takes the scariest, most ridiculous / amazing looking DDTs ever, those brainbusters, those elbows / slaps, JESUS CHRIST THAT WAS SO GOOD

...wait'll you get to day 8. Honmamania running wild brother.

lol and to only think that it gets better from there

the yano victory was great. so unexpected!

Rhaknar

Makeba vs Lance Archer wasnt very good :(

And I actually like both guys (I love Makeba) but I dont think they meshed very well. Also no Archer chokeslam, the dude has a great chokeslam

Calling it here, got to o some actual work lol.

Day 9 pre-show is live;

NJPW, "G1 CLIMAX - DAY 9", 2014/08/04
Aichi Prefectural Gymnasium

18:00 JST | 11:00 EU | 10:00 UK | 05:00 EDT | 02:00 PDT

01. G1 Climax - Block A: Tomoaki Honma vs Davey Boy Smith Jr.
02. G1 Climax - Block B: Lance Archer vs Yujiro Takahashi
03. G1 Climax - Block A: Yuji Nagata vs Doc Gallows
04. G1 Climax - Block B: Togi Makabe vs Hiroyoshi Tenzan
05. G1 Climax - Block B: Tetsuya Naito vs Minoru Suzuki
06. G1 Climax - Block A: Katsuyori Shibata vs Bad Luck Fale
07. G1 Climax - Block A: Satoshi Kojima vs Shinsuke Nakamura
08. G1 Climax - Block B: AJ Styles vs Karl Anderson
09. G1 Climax - Block A: Hiroshi Tanahashi vs Shelton Benjamin
10. G1 Climax - Block B: Kazuchika Okada vs Hirooki Goto

This is a real interesting card. Honma in the opener against Davey, Naito vs Suzuki, Kojima vs Nakamura, Okada vs Goto and that Anderson vs Styles match. I think that one has the potential to be a show stealer.

ghostmind

With Ishii having tonight off, hopefully he is able to recuperate enough to continue, because Ishii vs. Shibata on Day 10 could be something special.

No post-match interviews for Day 8 have been posted to the NJPW Youtube page yet.

Pro-Wrestling Tees have a new G1 Climax Shirt available:

g1_1.jpg

Honma vs Davey was pretty good, although I think they could have milked Honma's comeback for a bit longer. That Archer vs Yujiro match on the other hand, ehhhh - I liked that Lance was still selling the leg from his match with AJ and it made sense that Yujiro worked it over, but that ending was dogshit.

ghostmind

Honma vs Davey was pretty good, although I think they could have milked Honma's comeback for a bit longer. That Archer vs Yujiro match on the other hand, ehhhh - I liked that Lance was still selling the leg from his match with AJ and it made sense that Yujiro worked it over, but that ending was dogshit.

Yeah, so far nothing tonight has been great, but I think that is going to turn around soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom