• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, do you think movie theaters are becoming an expensive, relic of the past?

Status
Not open for further replies.

harSon

Banned
I don't go as much anymore. I purchased a BenQ W1070 and 150" projector screen for ~$900 for both (already have a great sound system), and I honestly don't feel the need anymore. I still capture some of the blockbusters with friends, but all of the limited / indie / lesser known stuff I use to cop at theaters - I just watch at home now.

antonz

They are pricing themselves to the point I am very selective on going to the movies. It has to be a really special something now.

Roughly $15 just to see the movie then another $15 or so for a drink and popcorn. I mean in the last 15 years prices have tripled but the theater experience has certainly not improved to reflect that increase

Oscar

Yes. The pricing on those snacks is ridiculous.

Paying 4x regular price for some Sour Patch Kids? Hell naw.

I just stop by the dollar store before a movie and stock up on snacks. Then I stuff my gf's purse with said snacks before entering the theatre.

Nyx

Cinemas are more popular than ever here.

It's a night out with a movie, I think they're here to stay.

kirby_fox

Banned
Yes and no. Yes because we've gotten used to watching things with pause now way more often. And it's going to keep pushing towards that.

However, no. I watched the Avengers on a beautiful 4K screen with amazing surround sound. With seats that had reclining and were comfortable. I even had a foot rest.

I can't get the same experience at home whatsoever.

It seems that tickets go for $18.50 and $27 there now, respectively. I would hope those prices included the sales tax.

Honestly still would be worth 18.50. For 27 including popcorn, essentially a bed with blanket and pillow while being waited on still not that bad. Well worth going less ofen to me.

They are already, I rarely see the benefit of having seen a movie on the big screen. But I have to say that watching Mad Max Fury Road did impress me more there than watching it recently again on bluray.

What I really dread is the small seats, as I get older my back starts to hurt after sitting in those seats for 2 hours and it is getting worse.

Snake

I can't imagine not having the option of a decent theater in which to see certain event movies. The Force Awakens for the first time at home? Nah.

My local has been awesome honestly, this last fortnight I saw Baruto: the Naruto movie and Attack on Titan part 2 (got free tickets).
Next week? they are showing the league of legends final.

Here in Australia, you get $11 tickets via telstra or $12 on Optus.

Acidote

Pretty much 9€ (roughly 10$) per ticket where I live in southern Spain. Way too expensive.

Although I've been going to a different theatre as of late with some promotion coupons for 3€ per ticket. I've spent more money there in the last year or so (and I will keep going as long as they still sell those coupons) at 3€ per ticket than I ever did in "regular" priced cinemas.

Since I quit drinking, movie theaters are really one of the few times I'm ever able to 'go out' with friends. Also man, do I feel cool whenever I see an indie film in theaters. Feels good to support those fighting the good fight, blu-ray collection aside.

I can't imagine not having the option of a decent theater in which to see certain event movies. The Force Awakens for the first time at home? Nah.

This too.

It's hard for me to get excited about a theater when I have a better quality picture at home. There are other notable intangible qualities, but as far as just watching a movie in the best quality, I'll choose home every time.

They are pricing themselves to the point I am very selective on going to the movies. It has to be a really special something now.

Roughly $15 just to see the movie then another $15 or so for a drink and popcorn. I mean in the last 15 years prices have tripled but the theater experience has certainly not improved to reflect that increase

If anything is killing cinemas, it's this.

I mean, the movie is going to come out on DVD for 15 bucks.

I stopped buying snacks a long time ago. I'd rather bring my own in my pocket.. Cheese stick or bag of almonds or something. I don't want Soda and shit.

Griss

Nothing can beat a great audiovisual experience in a good cinema. I think they'll stay around just for that.

Exactly this. I was discussing Gravity with friends and the difference in opinions between those who had seen it in the cinema and those who'd watched it at home was enormous. You can't beat the big-screen 'total isolation' feeling. Not being able to pause also makes you more invested as you can't go back and catch something you missed. You need to be immersed all the time.

Shit, people will almost pay to be allowed to spend two hours away from fucking mobile phones if nothing else. Going to a movie is a great excuse to turn off your phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom