• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tokubetsu

PhoenixDark said:
I'd bet cash money it won't come out this year smh

The last page got me going through my nas playlist. Saw "Queens Get The Money" came up and along with my bitterness from being so let down with the album, I remembered that Jay Electronica produced that track and now I'm physically upset because he can't even release a single an ep or fucking anything of/from ACT II. Does anyone remember ACT II was supposed to drop on Christmas/New Years? I fucking do.

JEKKI

yo yo any Los Angeles gaf hoppers out there?!?!

if so, hit up Fat Beats tomorrow for an impressive in-store lineup!!

fatbeats_la_instores.jpg

it sucks that one of the most iconic hip-hop retail spots has to close down... I remember like in 98 I finally suckered one of my friends into hip-hop and he bought himself turntables with some money he had saved up, so his dad drove us to Fat Beats and I was choosin all this underground vinyl for him to pick up!!

Ill prolly hit them up sunday too coz ive never seen Julio G live, and I really owe myself to do so since he is extremely instrumental as to how I came to appreciate hip-hop music.

soultron

Banned
HiResDes said:
I thought that was a new version of Nothing to Give. (The CL link you posted.)

Did Kno do the TtT+LF version? Is it just the fact that the sample and piano loop used are the same between the two? Or is it just that the CunninLynguists version is flat-out better?

Don't hate me. I enjoy Lupe from time to time, but the Trae song didn't really get me nodding my head at all.

HiResDes

soultron said:
I thought that was a new version of Nothing to Give. (The CL link you posted.)

Did Kno do the TtT+LF version? Is it just the fact that the sample and piano loop used are the same between the two? Or is it just that the CunninLynguists version is flat-out better?

Don't hate me. I enjoy Lupe from time to time, but the Trae song didn't really get me nodding my head at all.
What? I don't even like the song...I was just posting because Shake posted that today. Not a huge fan of Lupe at all, I just think he's decent.

soultron

Banned
HiResDes said:
What? I don't even like the song...I was just posting because Shake posted that today. Not a huge fan of Lupe at all, I just think he's decent.
I agree with you.

It's neat to see how the same samples are used. I'm incredibly biased because I think CL are one of the best acts today, but I just think that Kno made better use of the samples on his track. That and I just find Deacon and Natti deliver better lines on their version.

EDIT: Would totally go see Dilated Peoples at Fat Beats.

Classified is at my campus this weekend for a show. Probably going to go to see him perform.

HiResDes

soultron said:
I agree with you.

It's neat to see how the same samples are used. I'm incredibly biased because I think CL are one of the best acts today, but I just think that Kno made better use of the samples on his track. That and I just find Deacon and Natti deliver better lines on their version.

EDIT: Would totally go see Dilated Peoples at Fat Beats.

Classified is at my campus this weekend for a show. Probably going to go to see him perform.
Yeah after finally completing my CL discography...I wonder if I consider them my favorite rap group of all-time or Outkast or Wu-Tang Clan. It's damn close.

soultron

Banned
HiResDes said:
Yeah after finally completing my CL discography...I wonder if I consider them my favorite rap group of all-time or Outkast or Wu-Tang Clan. It's damn close.
I'm on the fence with Strange Journey 1+2. This close to buying them, but what I've heard from them sounds like a departure from the regular releases, especially when it comes to production. Are they mainly B-sides and the like? Or just tracks with more of a focus on collaboration with other artists?

I just ordered the LE of Death Is Silent. October cannot get here fast enough.

Tokubetsu

soultron said:
I'm on the fence with Strange Journey 1+2. This close to buying them, but what I've heard from them sounds like a departure from the regular releases, especially when it comes to production. Are they mainly B-sides and the like? Or just tracks with more of a focus on collaboration with other artists?

I just ordered the LE of Death Is Silent. October cannot get here fast enough.

I dont ahve SJV2/haven't heard it but the first is pretty good for what it is. A collection of skits and b-sides. If you're a BIG BIG CL fan it's easy to recommend but outside of that? Not really.

I love this song though:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3tZMkdYk2k

HiResDes

das-racist-sit-down-man-cover.jpg

01. wkcr stretch and bobbito show w quincy jones (intro)
02. all tan everything (ft. jay-z) [prod. sabzi]
03. puerto rican cousins [prod. gordon voidwell and alex kestner]
04. hahahaha jk? [prod. boi-1da]
05. town business (ft. kassa overall) [prod. kassa overall]
06. commercial [prod. teengirl fantasy]
07. people are strange [prod. devo springsteen]
08. luv it mayne (ft. fat tony & bo p) [prod. tom cruz]
09. amazing (ft. lakutis) [prod. keepaway]
10. fashion party (with chairlift) [prod. chairlift]
11. rapping 2 u (ft. lakutis) [prod. sha-leik]
12. rooftop (ft. despot) [prod. dame grease]
13. irresponsible (ft. lakutis) [prod. like magic + das racist]
14. return to innocence [prod. dash speaks]
15. julia (the very best remix) [prod. das racist]
16. roc marciano joint (ft. roc marciano) [prod. mike finito]
17. you can sell anything [prod. diplo]
18. sit down, man (ft. el-p) [prod. scoop deville]
19. sit down, people (by dapwell and quincy jones)
20. free jazzmataz [prod. vijay iyer and das racist]

DL LINK

:lol...Can't believe the amount of unbelievable contributors they got for their album.

HiResDes

Also hope you guys downloaded this the other day:

Pete Rock & Smif-N-Wessun - Prevail Ft. Raekwon
(Because now the link is down)

Cunninlynguist's SJV1 and SJV2 are collaboration-heavy releases that I'd best categorize as fancy mixtapes. They're not official albums, but they were given more care than the average mixtape full of whatever the artist didn't put on the album.

soultron said:
Tonedeff is just plain awesome.

I agree. I would go so far as to say that no rapper has ever possessed as much technical skill. His flow, multis and metaphors, as a whole package, outdo any other rapper I can think of.

Tonedeff and Kno (the producer for Cunninlynguists) are releasing an album called Chico and the Man this December. I've been waiting over five years for it to be released.

Nabs said:
I do. Holy shit that was a while ago. Act II is supposed to drop in a week or something. Ha.

He said he wants to drop it on his birthday, Sept 19th. Believe :lol

I don't even think about Act II anymore. A few weeks ago he posted on twitter that he was afraid it wouldn't meet people's expectations. If he's concerned about that then my god, why are you in the music business.

He's literally touring off of the buzz of one song. Seems to be doing a good job building a fanbase but still, come the fuck on

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
My neighbor has been blasting "Love the way you lie" over and over all morning. I am going to shoot myself in the face.

DL das racist folks!
Also, another good compilation from djbooth

Miami Beat Wave - Slight Modification

Some fantastic production.

HiResDes

PhoenixDark said:
He said he wants to drop it on his birthday, Sept 19th. Believe :lol

I don't even think about Act II anymore. A few weeks ago he posted on twitter that he was afraid it wouldn't meet people's expectations. If he's concerned about that then my god, why are you in the music business.

He's literally touring off of the buzz of one song. Seems to be doing a good job building a fanbase but still, come the fuck on
In a way I'm happy that he isn't flooding the market with watered down shit.

BTW, dare I say that the Das Racist tape is both idiotic and quite fucking exceptional...And no I don't know how that's possible.

siddx

soultron said:
Tonedeff is just plain awesome.

I remember hearing that "Broken Van" song and loving it. Will probably buy.

I remember many years ago when I first stumbled my way into rapmusic.com, Tonedeff was still on there as a forum member. Pretty neat to think he's managed to go places since.

siddx said:
I remember many years ago when I first stumbled my way into rapmusic.com, Tonedeff was still on there as a forum member. Pretty neat to think he's managed to go places since.

He owns his own record label now and Cunninlynguist's are one of his artist's. He's built a pretty nice little kingdom out of nothing.

G.O.O.D. Friday to you all, gentlemen.

I wonder what Mr. West has in store for us.

Btw there seems to be a beef between Wale and Kid Cudi. It kind of was evident on Wale's mixtape, but Cudi's complex magazine interview kinda confirmed it.

Complex Mag said:
Question: Speaking of Wale, when you hit that fan at your show last December, he came out with a line about it ["Throwin' 'round wallets like the dude that Kid Cudi hit," from "Thank You Freestyle"].

Kid Cudi: It wasn't a shot, it's just a simple-ass rhyme by a simple-ass rapper. You can't let that shit faze you. That's one of those raps that just shows the world that you wack. Why would you even use that as a metaphor? Everybody think they Hov. Niggas ain't got the magic like they think they do; there's only a couple of wizards in this game. I'm a wizard and I know it.

....ok Cudi I love you and all but please shut the fuck up. :D

Wale had this to say on twitter.

Wale's twitter said:
niggas lettin that liquid cocaine get to them.....lets go then

innernet shots fired. I wonder where this'll go. Wale's more lyrical but I feel Cudi has more "star power." I love both artists so I'm torn. =(

You know, Cudi's such a lameass. I'm starting to dislike him more and more just like Lupe, to the point that I don't care much about what he says or does.

I'm with Wale by default.

Wale and Cudi are pedestrian rappers as far as I'm concerned

Wale has to be the new Cannibus in terms of going from lots of buzz/praise to a complete nobody that no one fucks with. Or I guess "the new Rhymefest"

HiResDes

PhoenixDark said:
Wale and Cudi are pedestrian rappers as far as I'm concerned

Wale has to be the new Cannibus in terms of going from lots of buzz/praise to a complete nobody that no one fucks with. Or I guess "the new Rhymefest"
Huh? He's been on the same shit since day one...What the fuck are you talking about? :lol

Tokubetsu

Don't really have anything to say on a Wale and Kid Cudi beef. Thats like the lamest beef ever haha. :lol

Nabs said:
AOTY double vinyl looks sick: http://plixi.com/p/45631621

I still need to pick it up... only heard one track so far (deadly)

Album is great. Get it!

And for those who still care, 24 Hour Karate Skool drops next week.

hie

soultron said:

Dude...get that shit. It's mostly fantastic.

Slizz

Tokubetsu said:
Don't really have anything to say on a Wale and Kid Cudi beef. Thats like the lamest beef ever haha. :lol

Album is great. Get it!

And for those who still care, 24 Hour Karate Skool drops next week.

I fucking care :D

EDIT: I'm pretty sure I'm going to the White Room for Curren$y, KRIT, and DZA show. How bout you?

siddx

siddx said:
My neighbor has been blasting "Love the way you lie" over and over all morning. I am going to shoot myself in the face.

DL das racist folks!
Also, another good compilation from djbooth

Miami Beat Wave - Slight Modification

Some fantastic production.

After getting a chance to listen to this in my car with a decent sound system, I have to strongly recommend this one more time. The production is just incredible, and for the most part they get some great rappers on their beats. Track four "Still Not Famous" is amazing.

DOWNLOAD THIS NOW

HiResDes said:
Huh? He's been on the same shit since day one...What the fuck are you talking about? :lol

Dude had a shit ton of buzz just a few years ago, right at the time all these skinny jeans rappers were blowing up. And out of all of them he's the only high profile one not to make it (unless we count Charles Hamilton). Then he dropped an average mixtape then bad album and no one cares about him, so he decided to release another Seinfeld mixtape but it didn't receive similar praise/attention as the original.

I remember hearing Rhymefest and others claim there was some conspiracy to keep Wale down since he's more opinionated and socio-political than his counterparts, and I can't help but laugh. Kanye and Lupe have taken stands on issues without being punished by the Music Illuminati.

Tokubetsu

Slizz said:
I fucking care :D

EDIT: I'm pretty sure I'm going to the White Room for Curren$y, KRIT, and DZA show. How bout you?

Gonna try but i'm going to a Massive Attack concert MAYBE so I'm prioritizing that money wise :lol

PhoenixDark said:
Dude had a shit ton of buzz just a few years ago, right at the time all these skinny jeans rappers were blowing up. And out of all of them he's the only high profile one not to make it (unless we count Charles Hamilton). Then he dropped an average mixtape then bad album and no one cares about him, so he decided to release another Seinfeld mixtape but it didn't receive similar praise/attention as the original.

I remember hearing Rhymefest and others claim there was some conspiracy to keep Wale down since he's more opinionated and socio-political than his counterparts, and I can't help but laugh. Kanye and Lupe have taken stands on issues without being punished by the Music Illuminati.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought Wale's album was garbage. I was so excited too, I was riding high off of Back To The Feature and then the album killed any interest I ever had for Wale as an artist.

njean777

Tokubetsu said:
Gonna try but i'm going to a Massive Attack concert MAYBE so I'm prioritizing that money wise :lol

Glad I'm not the only one who thought Wale's album was garbage. I was so excited too, I was riding high off of Back To The Feature and then the album killed any interest I ever had for Wale as an artist.

Really? I thought "More About Nothing" was fantastic (then again i love charles hamilton) but still the mixtape was great and still classic Wale. He hasnt changed and still raps about what he cares about for the most part.

Just finished listening to Lord Lord Lord. Great track. Awesome beat, Mos Def killed it, Swizz needs to stick to producing. Best track Kanye's released since he started doing this weekly thing, Devil in a New Dress being a close second.

dvdjamm

I saw this on onemic.net...I know it's not the legit release

Nas - The Lost Tapes 2 by onemic.net

1. Nas - The N (2:48)
2. Nas - Deja Vu (4:18)
3. Nas - The World (prod. Kanye West) (2:39)
4. Nas - Shine On 'Em (2:35)
5. Nas - Anybody Test (3:28)
6. Nas - Association (feat. stic man) (Bonus) (5:16)
7. Nas - Death Anniversary (3:15)
8. NaS - Hope (Original Version) (3:18)
9. NaS - Talk Of Ny (3:01)
10. Nas - Good Morning (2:23)
11. Nas - Something Foul (5:22)
12. Nas - The Rise and Fall (4:03)
13. Nas - Serious (Feat. AZ) (2:14)
14. Nas - Esco Let's Go (3:35)
15. Nas - Surviving The Times (4:43)
16. Nas - Nigger Hatred (Bonus) (1:39)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7WWX7MPN

dvdjamm said:

Damn, I got excited for a second for a real Lost Tapes 2 release. Honestly, one of Nas' best releases.

Pretty much everything I've heard from Kanye attempting to build hype toward his album has been totally unimpressive, and this new song is no different. So boring, and the chorus is just annoying as hell.

Tokubetsu

dvdjamm said:

No idea why that didn't make untitled. It's an amazing intro.

HiResDes

The M.O.B said:
All I know is Attention Deficit was pure crap, while Man on the Moon was a great top 10 album of 09 for me.
I didn't think it was crap, but everyone else seems to think it was crap. Honestly, I even thought Back to the Future was a decent tape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom