• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT14| The 6 God is Five Writers, And One False Idol

Status
Not open for further replies.

tumblr_nfo2iheqrE1qikmd9o1_500.gif

Nibel

This ain't bad, but man.. feel tired of Kendrick for some reason. TPAB and the consecutive Ls kinda changed everything brehs. "If shit its the fan is you still a fan?" Kinda nah fam, lol

Nibel

waiting on that VFT6 is really messin you up nibels

Not saying it's a bad track b, but after everything that has happened this year I'd be cool with Kenny chillin for a while and returning out of nowhere with new material 2016/17.

This feels a lot like he was lying under that handmade kaross blanket he got from an old shaman from Africa to keep the bad spirits away and being mad and sad about the reception of TPAB, then thinking "Damn I gotta prove to the people that I can still go hard on these beats" and first thing that popped in his mind when thinking of "going hard" was the image of a smiling J.Cole sitting on some random roof.

Dunno man. It feels like he's throwing TPAB under a bus with this sudden switch of styles. He should have let 2015 just flow away instead of trying to prove a point. We know you can rap, young king, but man: just chill for a second.

Yeah Kenny just went and ruined Tale of 2 Citiez.

Can never listen to the album version of that song again because I'll always know that it'll never live up to the remix.

Apparently the collab album dropping in February

IrishNinja

This feels a lot like he was lying under that handmade kaross blanket he got from an old shaman from Africa to keep the bad spirits away and being mad and sad about the reception of TPAB, then thinking "Damn I gotta prove to the people that I can still go hard on these beats" and first thing that popped in his mind when thinking of "going hard" was the image of a smiling J.Cole sitting on some random roof.

Dunno man. It feels like he's throwing TPAB under a bus with this sudden switch of styles. He should have let 2015 just flow away instead of trying to prove a point. We know you can rap, young king, but man: just chill for a second.

man, this feels like too many gafhop theories in one place - yes, TPAB happened, and it was awesome and the banger bros cried a lot about it

did anyone think that wasn't an artistic once-off? like, he's only gonna do experimental shit form now on? i mean, hip hop is already limiting enough without letting the disposable ends of it dominate the way other corners are viewed...unless he's mashing badu on the low, i figure most expect something more in line with section 80 next time around. returning to your style after trying something new =/= proving something or switching it up to me

his output this year's largely been great, i'm always down for more of that. if someone needs to chill this year and figure out half of those narratives/expectations, let's be honest: it's yeezy

Nibel

man, this feels like too many gafhop theories in one place - yes, TPAB happened, and it was awesome and the banger bros cried a lot about it

did anyone think that wasn't an artistic once-off? like, he's only gonna do experimental shit form now on? i mean, hip hop is already limiting enough without letting the disposable ends of it dominate the way other corners are viewed...unless he's mashing badu on the low, i figure most expect something more in line with section 80 next time around. returning to your style after trying something new =/= proving something or switching it up to me

his output this year's largely been great, i'm always down for more of that. if someone needs to chill this year and figure out half of those narratives/expectations, let's be honest: it's yeezy

Man that's not the point here. I'm not saying he should keep on rolling on that road that TPAB paved - I'm saying this little thanksgiving gift feels like a desparate attempt of damage control to me. He's trying his best to close that TPAB era with telling people he will never perform it again and now dropping this song that stands in contrast to TPAB imo.

It's a good performed and forgettable track with some cringey lines here and there.

And tbh: shoutouts to Yeezy for shutting up after his singles and the Travi$ feature. He's doing exactly what I want from him; going back into the lab and trying to find a new vision #DONDA

EDIT:Late as hell but Ross a damn fool to jump on that dusty ass In Da Club beat and then leave 50's hook intact. Not bad tho

Ross is lowkey disrespectful as hell and he just throws those type of lines lines in so casual

Shorty, you can keep the bags and the shoes
It's only right cuz the sidepiece got em too
Floor seats, I really took her to her first game
She was so excited, got me like 'poor thing'

heh.png

IrishNinja

damage control for a platinum-selling, critically acclaimed album from about nine months gone by dropping a holiday single with a potential collaborator for your next album

bucking that TDE work ethic as a negative

#WATTBA

Alright, I'm done trying to make this Bad Neighbor album work. Blu and MED are rapping about absolutely nothing rather blandly, Madlib gave them throwaways for the first 6 tracks, and the best tracks are at least 2 years old at this point (Burgandy Whip and Belly Full are from 2013, and Knock Knock's beat is from 2010).

A dud.

Trey

I knew the exact moment I closed out my first playthrough of TPAB that it wouldn't be conducive to concerts. It's dense and lyrical with concept hooks that are supposed to be more evocative than memorable or chantable.

I'm sure Kendrick knew that, too. He made the album he wanted to make, went Plat while garnering more critical acclaim than he ever has in his career. Now he's moving on.

Bacon

Okay

this never happened
this never happened
this never happened
this never happened
this never happened

The album's success has nothing to do with people's current perception of him. Platinum or not, people remember this dude whispering "this dick ain't free" in their ears, leaving them shivering before pressing the skip button.

And I won't even adress the fact you put the words "TDE" and "work ethic" in one sentence

I recommend you revisit that TPAB thread. The "people's" perception of Kendrick has never been higher. Maybe the hardcore hip hop heads have some other narrative spun up but the general public loves kenny.

That thread was getting the eminem treatment of "I don't even like rap but I like this" and "This album transcends hip hop"

Kendrick's not hurting because fickle fans of disposable mumble mouth rappers and the mindless music they make didn't fuck with TPAB.

I don't see him moving on as him not standing by the record or him trying to distance himself from it.

It was the perfect album for its moment, but Kendrick doesn't want to get boxed in as the weird rapper that only makes that "different" shit. TPAB was him trying that, now he wants to dial it back and get back to his lane. Nothing wrong with that.

Really getting the impression that people hadn't heard this until maybe 30 minutes ago - or perhaps in Nibel's case have never heard it. I'm really not understanding the attempt to connect this freestyle to some grander point about TPAB being a "failure" or Kendrick moving on to another sound. Or the idea that Future fans leaving a concert after Future leaves the stage is somehow an indictment on Kendrick (nevermind the pictures from those shows don't even collaborate the story).

Meanwhile you got Terrace Martin out here saying he's smoking weed and listening to Sly Stone records with Kendrick. Not saying the next album is going to be TPAB 2, but it's not going to be GKMC 2 either. At the end of the day TPAB did what it was supposed to do, and the fact that we're still talking about it 8 months later should tell us something about its longevity; and we'll be talking about it again in a few months when awards season starts (not that I give a fuck about the Grammys). I swear the trajectory of this album looks a lot like Black Messiah's. Rave reviews, great tour performances, think pieces, etc...this shit isn't going anywhere. There are about 6-7 songs from the album that he'll keep in his live set lists going forward, and he's already planning the next album.

codhand

Really getting the impression that people hadn't heard this until maybe 30 minutes ago - or perhaps in Nibel's case have never heard it. I'm really not understanding the attempt to connect this freestyle to some grander point about TPAB being a "failure" or Kendrick moving on to another sound. Or the idea that Future fans leaving a concert after Future leaves the stage is somehow an indictment on Kendrick (nevermind the pictures from those shows don't even collaborating the story).

Meanwhile you got Terrace Martin out here saying he's smoking weed and listening to Sly Stone records with Kendrick. Not saying the next album is going to be TPAB 2, but it's not going to be GKMC 2 either. At the end of the day TPAB did what it was supposed to do, and the fact that we're still talking about it 8 months later should tell us something about its longevity; and we'll be talking about it again in a few months when awards season starts (not that I give a fuck about the Grammys). I swear the trajectory of this album looks a lot like Black Messiah's. Rave reviews, great tour performances, think pieces, etc...this shit isn't going anywhere. There are about 6-7 songs from the album that he'll keep in his live set lists going forward, and he's already planning the next album.

before i even read this, just from looking at it, i said to myself, this is about Kendrick Lamar isn't it? You're obsessed my G.

Alright, I'm done trying to make this Bad Neighbor album work. Blu and MED are rapping about absolutely nothing rather blandly, Madlib gave them throwaways for the first 6 tracks, and the best tracks are at least 2 years old at this point (Burgandy Whip and Belly Full are from 2013, and Knock Knock's beat is from 2010).

A dud.
If you don't like it, that means I can listen to it now.

Syntsui

Fucking yes. This makes their collaboration album much more likely to drop, or maybe I'm reading too much into it. Anyway I need those YouTube songs in cdq.

Kendrick killed that track forreal. Not many rappers I'd want to listen to a 4 minute verse from. J. Cole was totally outclassed. Dude better step it up if they're really doing a joint project.

You can never tell what's new or old with Madlib beat wise, given that he's making dozens of loops on a near daily basis. Piñata doesn't have a single bad beat to me, but that could be due to Gibbs picking the best shit available. Maybe Blu picked some duds (I haven't listened to the album).

You can never tell what's new or old with Madlib beat wise, given that he's making dozens of loops on a near daily basis. Piñata doesn't have a single bad beat to me, but that could be due to Gibbs picking the best shit available. Maybe Blu picked some duds (I haven't listened to the album).

Gibbs has a pretty good ear for beats and it seems him and Madlib shared a pretty specific vision for the album, so I'm sure that helps too.

Eos

god damn kendrick slayed that beat. not a cole fan but his remix wasn't that bad either tbh. this collab gonna be great but cole gonna get washed on like every track lol.

IrishNinja

oh hey cole is gonna get renegaded on every track. did anyone expect anything else?

nah, but it makes you wonder if he thinks it'll be some duo RTJ type shit? like, i assume most callabos have one dude at least knowing he's not the stronger of the two, but the gap here - even with shit cole's supposed to excel at, storytelling - it's too wide. it can't be a high concept album in my mind, but neither's gonna want this to be all bangers i imagine? not real sure what i'm expecting here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom