• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT4| At that Das EFX concert, I riggity realized that I liggity love you

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
bing.png
bing.png
Fixed.

iavi

Speaking of gems:

Pheo - They Soulection EP

--Free

*I'm only one listen through and already, this is a serious AOTY contender, here. The tape bounces back and forth between the smooth, ignant, and flat-out experimental, and does it with a cohesiveness and charisma reminiscent of Tiron & Ayomari. Oddly enough, the first track didn't click with me - yet, but everything else is so very strong, so; if you do find yourself not feeling it initially, definitely try the next track. "This all has been Vintage" and "Blackman Magnificent" are the personal favs of mine atm.

So how does one go crate digging in Bandcamp? I've never found the site user friendly as far as just searching and losing yourself.
Right now only you guys and a handful of blogs are my source of new music.

CRS

So how does one go crate digging in Bandcamp? I've never found the site user friendly as far as just searching and losing yourself.

I go through the hip-hop/hip hop/instrumental tags.

And sometimes go through 16-bit/experimental/alternative tags too.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

Seriously. I get all my music from this thread. Ya'll are godly.

CRS

Speaking of gems:

Theo - They Soulection EP

--Free

*I'm only one listen through and already, this is a serious AOTY contender, here. The tape bounces back and forth between the smooth, ignant, and flat-out experimental, and does it with a cohesiveness and charisma reminiscent of Tiron & Ayomari. Oddly enough, the first track didn't click with me, yet, but everything else is so very strong, so; if you do find yourself not feeling it initially, definitely try the next track. "This all has been Vintage" and "Blackman Magnificent" are the personal favs of mine atm.

Another fucking winner. Cot damn, Miri. This production is on point and definitely what I wanted.

And Irish, put that tape on my queue. Intro sold me as well but this COLORS and They Soulection are going so well with my high right now. Just enough atmospheric touches to the beats.

iavi

You aren't kidding. It really isn't all that intuitive, but I manage with the genre search, and scroll through the pages from there. Some artists will even offer recs on their DL pages, and those have turned out pretty well too, for the most part. Though, none of it's anywhere near as easy as say: Spotify, or even Itunes.

HiResDes

You aren't kidding. It really isn't all that intuitive, but I manage with the genre search, and scroll through the pages from there. Some artists will even offer recs on their DL pages, and those have turned out to match up pretty well too. Though, none of it's anywhere near as easy as say: Spotify, or even Itunes.

It's kind of a waste of time, though time wastes itself so that phrase is meaningless.

DominoKid

Bandcamp is a pain.
I feel kinda sorry for the people who make good stuff on there.
But it's not worth the time sifting though all the crap.

IrishNinja

gonna check out Miri's link - and im not sure if that's 106 & Park dude onna cover, but for real, ya'll should check out my link if you dig Slum Village. shit even covers "Fantastic".

There is nothing insignificant that isn't significant. Nothing is meaningless.

significance is an arbitrary value we place on things to project our fear of our own mortality onto something external and pretend it's not scary. Bill Hicks said it man, it's just a ride.

Tokubetsu

gonna check out Miri's link - and im not sure if that's 106 & Park dude onna cover, but for real, ya'll should check out my link if you dig Slum Village. shit even covers "Fantastic".

significance is an arbitrary value we place on things to project our fear of our own mortality onto something external and pretend it's not scary. Bill Hicks said it man, it's just a ride.

Hell yea man. We all have the same finish line.

YAY I just got tickets to see Childish Gambino is Orlando :p HYPE

Any of you guys seen him live? How is he?

Saw him on his last show before his CAMP tour started. He played every song from EP, a handful from Culdesac and I AM JUST A RAPPER, one or two freestyles, some from his earlier mixtapes, and even a few CAMP songs. One of the best shows that I have ever had the pleasure of going to. Donald is a stand-up guy, very appreciative of his fans. The live band he plays with is top-notch, as well. Glad to see more people enjoying him enough to support him on tour. Hope you enjoy!

Messi

Saw him on his last show before his CAMP tour started. He played every song from EP, a handful from Culdesac and I AM JUST A RAPPER, one or two freestyles, some from his earlier mixtapes, and even a few CAMP songs. One of the best shows that I have ever had the pleasure of going to. Donald is a stand-up guy, very appreciative of his fans. The live band he plays with is top-notch, as well. Glad to see more people enjoying him enough to support him on tour. Hope you enjoy!

Flying all the way from Ireland to see him (well I am going on holidays). Hopefully he will be awesome.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
i am not >=[

peter you put your name on anything.

"this pizza is dope yo, check it out *peter seal of approval*"

Peter brings a ton of new music to everyone's attention everyday.. All you do is bitch..

Peter wins

HiResDes

the vinny chase tape has great bits, but i found the rapping to be merely par for the most part 7/10.

the theo tape also features great beats but i'm enjoying his flow a bit more though not quite as much as i would say i enjoyed the works of sir michael and ayomari and tiron for comparison. 8/10

Esch

Banned
I really like this El-P tape, but I cant say that I really enjoy his rapping. I could actually see this style of beats being commercially viable with a couple tweaks

I really like this El-P tape, but I cant say that I really enjoy his rapping. I could actually see this style of beats being commercially viable with a couple tweaks

It would be an AOTY contender with someone like Mr Muthafucking Esquire (who had an amazing verse on the album) or another good rapper with mic command/presence.

iavi

Future's album "Pluto," is quite possibly the funniest tape I've ever been cursed into listening to, and I only laugh to hold back the tears.

PBY

Banned
I like his guest spots on BoB's stuff. Going to check this one out.

Speaking of guest spots, Ab Soul on Section 80 really impresses me. Who is this cat, and does he have anything substantial out?
Longterm-Mentality-Cover-500x500.jpg

I thought it was a for-purchase album, but datpiff has a link.
http://www.datpiff.com/Ab-Soul-Longterm-Mentality-mixtape.274688.html
Either way, its good, but I think his new albums gonna be the real deal. All of the TDE guys (outside of Jay Rock) have taken a huge leap forward from their latest releases and the ones before those.

Detox

I think with the right guys behind him which aftermath no doubt has, Jay Rock can make a very good west coast gangster album.

PBY

Banned
the vinny chase tape has great bits, but i found the rapping to be merely par for the most part 7/10.

the theo tape also features great beats but i'm enjoying his flow a bit more though not quite as much as i would say i enjoyed the works of sir michael and ayomari and tiron for comparison. 8/10

Glad to get your impressions on that Cha$e-what Theo tape are you talking about?

PBY

Banned
It's actually 'Pheo' - "They Soulection EP," the tape I posted on the last page. I had a typo in there, initially, and it seems to have caught on, lol.

Ohhh haha, I actually really liked it on my first listen- really appreciate when rappers keep their tapes short and sweet. Need to give it another listen to really digest lyrics/let it sink in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom