• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT7| Either die the GOAT or live long enough to become Nas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Wouldn't some of Cole's fan base overlap with Miller's? And if so, which one would they exclusively buy?

I can see Miller pulling ahead of Cole if he continues to get mad exposure. Never knew until just the other day that Mac has features on tween tracks.

Edit: Harry Fraud - Game On! (GEV2)
I don't see much overlap between their two fanbases.

Miller has a core fanbase, and they aren't the type to listen to Cole's content or care for his style IMO. Cole doesn't really have a core fanbase from what I see, moreover lots of female appeal and generally other backpackers that fuck with him.

I don't think Miller outselling Cole is out of the question though, especially considering this is the first time he's getting attention from a non-fratboy audience too. If his core still fucks with this album I can see him doing 200k and J. Cole falling behind.

Esch

Banned
Your Standard:

J. Cole Fan: In their 20's, late 20's at best. Probably played high school sports but not college, loves old school hip hop but can't really vibe to the newer shit. Sees Cole as a throwback to the older stuff when the music meant something. He doesnt really like rap anymore, he's 'grown out of it', but 'i can listen to this guy'. I'm not including chicks who downloaded one of his two songs off iTunes, whatever they're called. The one with Whitney Houston? Was it Whitney Houston? Who cares lol.

Mac Miller Fan: A bro, no matter their age. Mid teens to mid 20's. White, in a frat or destined/considering joining one. Is in that stage of their life where they think smoking a blunt a day is not only healthy but cool, giving you 'cred'. "It's not a drug bro, it's a plant. It's medicine, maaaan", they might mutter, eyes glazed, breath stinking from days of unbrushed teeth. THC is oozing out of these kids every pores. They don't really care too much for hip hop, but they loved Wiz Khalifa, TI, and Lil Wayne when they used to turn on their radios. "I love that i can just put their music on, sit back, and chill while i rip some bleezys dude? Whats wrong with that?"

fiddy.gif

DominoKid

Your Standard:

J. Cole Fan: In their 20's, late 20's at best. Probably played high school sports but not college, loves old school hip hop but can't really vibe to the newer shit. Sees Cole as a throwback to the older stuff when the music meant something. He doesnt really like rap anymore, he's 'grown out of it', but 'i can listen to this guy'. I'm not including chicks who downloaded one of his two songs off iTunes, whatever they're called. The one with Whitney Houston? Was it Whitney Houston? Who cares lol.

Mac Miller Fan: A bro, no matter their age. Mid teens to mid 20's. White, in a frat or destined/considering joining one. Is in that stage of their life where they think smoking a blunt a day is not only healthy but cool, giving you 'cred'. "It's not a drug bro, it's a plant. It's medicine, maaaan", they might mutter, eyes glazed, breath stinking from days of unbrushed teeth. THC is oozing out of these kids every pores. They don't really care too much for hip hop, but they loved Wiz Khalifa, TI, and Lil Wayne when they used to turn on their radios. "I love that i can just put their music on, sit back, and chill while i rip some bleezys dude? Whats wrong with that?"

fiddy.gif

gotta throw in the HBCU crowd. that's the other half of his fanbase. they love him and Wale. especially Wale.

That chick Ariana Grande sounds like she's trying to do her best impression of Mariah Carey.

yeah it's kinda funny too. she's FOINE though.

iavi

Real talk, Esch's Cole Stan description fits 90% of my west coast brothers out here who fucks with Kendrick hardcore.

Esch

Banned
its the same demographic but Kendrick is actually good and is saving hip hop so i cant troll him like that

also spot on with that hbcu thing dom goddamn

Jitters

We already talked about Mac an the pop track. His album will be stupid, but certainly more entertaining than boring ass Cole.

He's right but he isn't exactly helping the current situation. How is he gonna complain about fans being nostalgic when he's saying a lot of the new shit is wack in a roundabout way?

DominoKid

Yeah, I thought that too. He sounds like the fans hes complaining about.

That's because he is. That's Wale at his core and I don't think he'd deny that. He's just playing the game musically by today's rules so he can stack.

He's right but he isn't exactly helping the current situation. How is he gonna complain about fans being nostalgic when he's saying a lot of the new shit is wack in a roundabout way?

I don't think these problems are mutually exclusive. I definitely think fans are too nostalgic.
But I can also see how someone could look at today's shit and say it's wack. I disagree but I can see it.

SadAli

Neo Member
Is this album good?

I would have no idea what this would sound to someone for the first time. In 2000 it sounded like a blatant throwback to 1992 but since both those dates are now lost in the haze of time it could either sound like a fun release or fail miserably when compared to the earlier albums it's imitating.

Personally I only really liked their self titled EP and suspect (concrete schoolyard apart) even that was at least in part due to being caught up in the late nineties Cut Chemist, Shadow, Chief Xcel loop.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Am I late on this?

Dear Friends,

Last Friday, Sony Music sent Gummy Soul a cease and desist order for Amerigo Gazaway's "Bizarre Tribe: A Quest To The Pharcyde".
As owners of A Tribe Called Quest's catalog, Sony is claiming copyright infringement and has demanded that we take the album down immediately or face further litigation for damages.
While less than 3 minutes of the 55 minute Bizarre Tribe experience is Sony owned ATCQ material (you'll remember Amerigo flipped the original sourced records Tribe SAMPLED, as opposed to having sampled their music directly), Sony feels that our project is non-transformative, and is in direct competition with original A Tribe Called Quest material.
Though we are confident that our work falls under "fair use" as defined by the Copyright Act of 1976, (something we explain further in our open letter response , we cannot afford to take on a Goliath like Sony Music. Due to the sheer amount of samples required to create this project, it would be impossible for a label of our size to release Bizarre Tribe through traditional means. Although Bizarre Tribe has always been available for free, Sony is demanding our immediate compliance.
As of now, Bizarre Tribe: A Quest to The Pharcyde is no longer available through Gummy Soul Records. If you would like to get involved, we have provided a few easy ways for you to help.

1. Read and share our open letter response to Sony:
"Bizarre Tribe: Access Denied (An Open Letter Response to Sony's Cease and Desist)"
2. Visit BizarreTribe.com to find out more on how you can help.
As always, we thank you for your continued support and look forward to bringing you more music in the future. In the meantime, stay tuned and KEEP BOUNCING.

Downloaded it when it was first available, it's really good and it's a fucking travesty it can't be offered anymore.

SadAli

Neo Member
Wale's grumpy old man shtick would be easier to swallow if he actually had the discography to back it up. I appreciate how that all built up to him not being in 25 best verses.

I get where he's coming from with the saturation aspect but this is pretty much how Rap has always worked. It's always had people producing in their bedrooms, the only difference now is that people can reach worldwide audiences with this stuff rather than just dropping copies in the local stores.

I would agree though that there's a balance between word play and engagement. Distinct lack of people dropping complex verses with a point beyond showing off.

DominoKid

And honestly I think a lot of folks struggle w/ the fact that my generation (lets say 25 and under as a general statement) may just want something different out of our hip-hop. We pull our cultural cues and values, and apply it to our lives in a different way.

The best way that I can put it is that we live our lives in 140 characters and picture filters that allow people to create a glossed up image of a pretty bland existence. The music, at least what's hot, reflects that. There's really no room for lyrics in our world. Folks want a mantra, like a "Started From The Bottom" or a "No New Friends" (which no broke person should be saying btw lol) that they can throw up on Twitter like it actually applies to their lives.*** So I mean, if Wale wants to complain about the image being far more important than the substance, then it's bigger than music. It's youth society at large.

Take a Future for example. He's got a ton of tracks w/ actual substance/messages to em, even if they're not lyrically complex. But a major sticking point w/ him is the sound. He sounds (beats, flows, lyrics, autotune, etc) like all those bad rappers you hate and point to as the cause of hip-hop's decline.

In a way, I think that's why Kendrick got over so well. Not only because he was good. But he's the "get back" for the people that look to the past instead of to the future. Same w/ Cole (see: Esch's posts). It's a way to say "we're still here, we still matter." Old folks (in rap terms) really came out for GKMC. Because if I'm being honest, the young folks fuck w/ him, but I don't think he's not platinum popular w/ young people. Drake is. I'm actually curious to see, if Chance The Rapper blows up (I doubt), which way he'll go...

random thoughts at 4am.

***edit: that's why that Poor Decisions track works so well.

overcast

I'd be shocked if I even listened to Cole first day. Considering Kanye is going to drop some interesting shit. I'll be listening to that for pretty much a week straight.

siddx

I'd be shocked if I even listened to Cole first day. Considering Kanye is going to drop some interesting shit. I'll be listening to that for pretty much a week straight.

Neither will be anywhere near the top of my to do list, ever.
But I'll be listening to Cole long before I bother to give Kanye another chance to bore me to death.

The best way that I can put it is that we live our lives in 140 characters and picture filters that allow people to create a glossed up image of a pretty bland existence. The music, at least what's hot, reflects that. There's really no room for lyrics in our world. Folks want a mantra, like a "Started From The Bottom" or a "No New Friends" (which no broke person should be saying btw lol) that they can throw up on Twitter like it actually applies to their lives. So I mean, if Wale wants to complain about the image being far more important than the substance, then it's bigger than music. It's youth society at large.

This is so true. I buy into that to an extent but it's not like I'm going out dropping actual money and I don't know too many people who do either. I might fuck around and say U.E.O.N.O for a week but that's about it. It's mystifying how it's gotten to this point. I like foolishness just as much as anyone else but the mainstream being dominated by it is fucked.

DominoKid

This is so true. I buy into that to an extent but it's not like I'm going out dropping actual money and I don't know too many people who do either. I might fuck around and say U.E.O.N.O for a week but that's about it. It's mystifying how it's gotten to this point. I like foolishness just as much as anyone else but the mainstream being dominated by it is fucked.

Truth be told, I buy into it completely (shocker). But w/ that for me comes complete self-awareness. I do all that shit - especially dropping the catchphrases - w/ a figurative wink and smile, because it really is just fun and games to me. I don't take it too seriously.

I wish more people would examine themselves as fans and what they bring to the table (if anything at all, because a lot don't) when they listen to rap. But I've found that that's asking a bit too much of the average rap fan. I like to poke and prod my friends' brains about why they like what they like and for the most part the answers are lacking to me. I don't want folks to come to the same conclusion that I do, but I'd at least like folks to come to a conclusion that at least sounds like it took some level of critical thinking and self-awareness. The "Turn Up" generation ain't about that life though.

As far as how we got to this point, I don't think it's all that mystifying. It's just Hov's "dumb it down for my audience to double my dollars" thinking, taken to an extreme. Although I always thought that was the biggest fucking copout ever from Hov because he didn't have to do that. That shit is more relevant than ever now though.

cacophony

holy shit that new miley cyrus song wtf lol..
took all the buzz words in rap now and put em in one song

everyone in line in the bathrooom

Detox

Acting like Hov was Shakespeare and he chose to do what he did and can turn it back on at will. Nevertheless it came and bit him the ass. As Blue rocks on her million dollar diamond encrusted horse and his wife sells out an arena, Sean sits in the bathroom sobbing. The gold plated mirror reflecting his crusty ass face he looks down at the only thing that reminds him of his past: custom silk Hawaiin boxers he realises that he disappoints the man who inspired his transformation from Jaz's bitch to the aspirational young hustler. Ultimately sacrificing his life long friends Dame, Kareem, Beans and Bleek he realises as Cole reminisces on college life, Electronica eats out billionaire dollar pussy and Kanye is with Ray J's seconds that Nasir can still take his whole team for dolo. Under the pressure of a mid life crisis he understands that he can never escape the pain of letting Nas down.

SadAli

Neo Member
This is so true. I buy into that to an extent but it's not like I'm going out dropping actual money and I don't know too many people who do either.

I think this an interesting point. It's been the case for what, at least 5-6 years now, that the music rappers are releasing for free is generally >>> better than the commercial albums that follow. The rise and rise of the professional sounding bedroom producer means that the days of releasing a mixtape filled with freestyles over popular beats are long gone, replaced with top level production and proper songs.
The real problem is that the producers are pushing harder than the rappers and they've become another layer of sound on the instrumental - a fair number of these tracks don't lend themselves to complexity.

I'm a fan of Future and Young Thug and like the way they play with their voices over the beats but would still welcome a bit more of a balance without being bored shitless by worthy rappers rehashing old sounds.

Dereck

I didn't even have high expectations for the new Deltron or anything but the lack of its existence is disappointing. Dudes have been delaying the album over and over again, this sentence of Wiki sums it up.

As of June 5, 2013 there are now reports that Event II won't be released until Sept 2013. This represents over 20 delays in the release of Event II. The continued delays in the release of this album have led many fans to believe that there is no new CD and that this is simply a marketing ploy by the group to maintain interest in their brand.

Esch

Banned
Dumbed down Hov still >>>>>>>>>>>> Most of the shit from the naughties. I'll take that over that stupid hack fitty cent/g unit shit anyday. Hell I can't even think of anyone besides DOOM, DMX, and Ye that I would listen to that's on the same level from that time period.

I wouldn't say that Kendrick or even Cole necessarily resonate that much from oldies. They only do cause they're more lyrical and conscious than the average cat in the game right now, and that appeals to that demographic. Either way, they're filling a distinct void in the game right now. Like y'all said catchphrases rule the game today like maybe never before. But even Kendrick's album benefited from some of that shit like with Bitch Don't Kill My Vibe. It's not the same, but you know. I attribute this shit to the rise of swag rap as well which is almost entirely one liner/catchphrase based. Anyone who's listened to Lil B in depth knows that music lives or dies on that shit.

jordisok

Kendrick benefits from his shit sounding like a COHERENT WHOLE. Think some of that is lost on the mixtape --> commercial album transition.

Ignoring random FREESTYLEOVERTHISHOTBEAT tapes.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Cole gonna be sub 100k.

The radio and YouTube done forgot about him.
I'm currently looking at 4 different YT uploads for Power Trip.

9.6 million
8.1 million
7.9 million
4.9 million

Son is a lot more relevant than it may seem reading PP posts.

the sampler for U-God's next album is out... it's going to be called The Keynote Speaker. It's sounding pretty dope.

The Keynote Speaker is the all new solo album from Wu-Tang Clan founder member U-God, his first release for The RZA's Soul Temple Imprint (The Man With The Iron Fists Soundtrack, Ghostface Killah's critically acclaimed Twelve Reasons To Die both of which featured appearances from U-God). This is the gritty street-level hip hop album U-God fans have longed to hear. The album is Executive Produced by The RZA and features stellar appearances from Method Man, The GZA, Inspectah Deck, Styles P, Elzhi of Slum Village, Kool Keith and more...

2013 marks the twentieth anniversary of The Wu-Tang Clan. In addition to his own solo dates, U-God will be appearing with the Wu-Tang Clan on concert stages throughout the World, including major festivals such as Coachella and Bonnaroo.

Also, don't sleep on his last album, Dopium. That shit was dope as hell.

siddx

Gafhop threw Cole into that "gafhate" spin cycle really early on, so we lack perspective with just how popular dude is. He's got a pretty strong and dedicated fan base.

I even fell victim to it, I like to tease one of my friends about "liking that eeyore sad face dude" all the time but truth is I have enjoyed a fair amount of his work over the years and I should be giving him more credit than I do.

I haven't listened to J.Cole too extensively but every track I've heard I can't help but think.. "Man this beat is dope.. too bad J.Cole is on it."

siddx

Cole isn't going to win any rapper of the year competitions, but he's a solid rapper. He's got more skill than all the futures, frenches, guccis, and wackas combined. I have plenty of all those artist's music on my itunes, but as rappers none of them are above a D grade on their very best day. While Cole is a solid B rapper. Which I guess is the problem. Gafhop isn't big on middle of the pack rappers.

Cole isn't going to win any rapper of the year competitions, but he's a solid rapper. He's got more skill than all the futures, frenches, guccis, and wackas combined. I have plenty of all those artist's music on my itunes, but as rappers none of them are above a D grade on their very best day. While Cole is a solid B rapper. Which I guess is the problem. Gafhop isn't big on middle of the pack rappers.

Nodded my whole way through this post.

siddx

I haven't even heard power trip. If I have, I forget.

It's a decent single. Simpin' subject matter aside. Miguel doesn't do it any favors, looking like crackhead David Ruffin in the Temptations movie with his stupid fucking hair. Beat is interesting, one of those beats that has more to it than you initially hear. But it's a radio single, it's not going to convert anyone.

Another problem I have with Cole similarly to Big Sean, whenever I feel they're putting down a really solid verse they fuck it up with a super corny MySpace rapper tier line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom