• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT7| Either die the GOAT or live long enough to become Nas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dumbed down Hov still >>>>>>>>>>>> Most of the shit from the naughties. I'll take that over that stupid hack fitty cent/g unit shit anyday.

Agree with the Hov part.

Your dead wrong on 50 though. His first album and even the first group album takes a shit from the 4th story window on some of the garbage that gets props on here. Bronson, Schoolboy, Riff Raff etc etc

Esch

Banned
my only real problem with Cole is on every verse he sounds like he's trying so hard to win. I don't care for that Vegeta rap shit. I'm at that vicious capitalist stage of my life and I'm not tryna hear some dude mumble about a come up. id rather listen to broke boy swag rap than that shit.

id rather listen to macklemore, even his tracks have more punch.

my only real problem with Cole is on every verse he sounds like he's trying so hard to win. I don't care for that Vegeta rap shit. I'm at that vicious capitalist stage of my life and I'm not tryna hear some dude mumble about a come up. id rather listen to broke boy swag rap than that shit.

id rather listen to macklemore, even his tracks have more punch.

Krit falls into that trap of repeating theme too. Southern boy chasing his dream, Candy paint, no respect for me, its my time, I gotta succeed, I'm underground!

I dig Krits production way more than Coles though, that's about all that keeps me checking him out.

Esch

Banned
ya I'm curious about how much ye will move. I'm not sure what his single will be this time around or how much leftover WTT steam will power that engine. Seems like he's trying to make a statement with this album, and that's a double edged sword.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
ya I'm curious about how much ye will move. I'm not sure what his single will be this time around or how much leftover WTT steam will power that engine. Seems like he's trying to make a statement with this album, and that's a double edged sword.
Apparently there won't be any singles for yeezus

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Q-Tip at the Redbull Music Academy. He plays his own version of Mama's Boyfriend, Preemo's original version of Memory Lane for Illmatic and generally kicks a bunch of knowledge. About 3/4 through it and I love it as much as the other hip-hop related episodes they've put out. Close to the end he goes through how he makes a beat.

Esch

Banned
guys i think i'm gonna dive into this macklemore album. I got myself ready by making a nice turkey sandwich with lettuce, tomato, and mayo and pouring myself a glass of juice (it has all the nutrients). I figure i'll probably need to change into some sperries, a polo, and some khakis in a minute. Possibly a backward facing hat. I can't be sure.

Wish me luck

DominoKid

what kinda bread you using Esch? can't use white bread if your really about them nutrients. that shit is unhealthy. macklemore fans are healthy.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
guys i think i'm gonna dive into this macklemore album. I got myself ready by making a nice turkey sandwich with lettuce, tomato, and mayo and pouring myself a glass of juice (it has all the nutrients). I figure i'll probably need to change into some sperries, a polo, and some khakis in a minute. Possibly a backward facing hat. I can't be sure.

Wish me luck

If you're honest with yourself, you're in for a pleasant surprise.

Also, you're talking greasy about turkey sammiches like they're not delicious. Stop hating my culture, bro.

Esch

Banned
bro this has enough grains in it to give an elephant diarrhea. shit looks like mulch.

and yes Turkey sangwiches are delicious

WanderingWind

Don't forget the side of Ruffles with sour cream and onion dip. Desert needs to be a nice slice of carrot cake.

Also, Macklemore is an alcoholic smoker. Doesn't scream too healthy. So, you should smoke a couple of menthols, so people know you got a lil hood in you

Esch

Banned
menthols are great, and so far this album is solid but i cant shake the feeling like there's matchbox 20 playing in the background somewhere in my house and i cant turn it off

good production though, refreshingly different

WanderingWind

I knew you motherfuckers were hating on that shit without even listening to it. I even said so and everybody was like "Nah, bro, I listened to it. Thrift Shop sux."

I SEENT IT

Esch

Banned
Over here only women smoke menthols
good lord dont say this shit if you ever come over here
I knew you motherfuckers were hating on that shit without even listening to it. I even said so and everybody was like "Nah, bro, I listened to it. Thrift Shop sux."

I SEENT IT
QbadP.png

WanderingWind

It better be fire

I said surprising. Not GOAT.

I really, really like most of the album though for real. Balances humor, introspection and wit with some absolutely perfect production. He's charismatic, his flow could use work, but he has something to say and nobody is going to say his perspective in rap isn't fairly unique. If I had discovered it last year, it would've been top 5 for me, probably behind GKMC, HnC, Control Systems, Heist, Cruel Summer. Roughly.

HiResDes

So I was playing my phone over the pa system at work, just bumping some doo wop stuff when somehow it decided to shuffle in some Das Racist. The Roc Marciano Joint specifically lol. Mad grannies were lookin pissed

So I was playing my phone over the pa system at work, just bumping some doo wop stuff when somehow it decided to shuffle in some Das Racist. The Roc Marciano Joint specifically lol. Mad grannies were lookin pissed

This happened in a supermarket I worked in before. Guy I worked with thought it was okay to put Hit Em Up on the PA.

Cudder

Not gonna lie, kinda wanting to go to the Toronto location for Cole's stream tonight. I'd have to leave work an hour early though, hopefully no ones here at that time.

oh and LOL at KTT

Someone please bring some loud ass portable speakers to play the album off

so we can witness a mass sleepover in public

WTT had Niggas in Paradise bumping everywhere. Yeezus doesn't have any radio presence, I doubt that will result in similar big numbers. Plus Cruel Summer had a huge single and still didn't sell crazy for its first week.

Kanye isn't as big as advertised (pause) IMO. I could be proven horribly wrong lol, but I'm sticking with him barely getting by 300k, then a 60% sales drop the following week.

PBY

Banned
WTT had Niggas in Paradise bumping everywhere. Yeezus doesn't have any radio presence, I doubt that will result in similar big numbers. Plus Cruel Summer had a huge single and still didn't sell crazy for its first week.

Kanye isn't as big as advertised (pause) IMO. I could be proven horribly wrong lol, but I'm sticking with him barely getting by 300k, then a 60% sales drop the following week.
NiP didnt drop til after the album came out, but ye and hov is enough to sell.

I still think ye will move 400+

Esch

Banned
Okay so I listened to the Heist all the way through. I can see why this sells so much. Ryan Lewis is a pretty talented guy actually. He has a lot of good looks that could work for guys like Lupe or even a guy like Pitbull maybe. He's pretty versatile, and so is Macklemore. This album reminds me heavy of being in high school and actually enjoying shit like Atmosphere(scust) so it resonated with me decent in a self loathing way. That being said, this shit aint me. This is that John Lennon rap. There are some seriously hilarious ass make a difference lets be friends raps on here that are so corny it makes my heart want to implode and just die on the spot. Especially this gay marriage/love song Same Love, it's just so naive, cutesy, and panderingly liberal it's almost nauseating. This shit is different, but it isnt necessarily good. I just don't like Macklemore very much. There are times on this album i dont feel like I'm listening to hip hop, but I am at the same time. Actually, he reminds me of Neo Kanye in that regard. There's also WAY too much wimpy sing songy shit on here for my tastes. I like the hyper cuts like Can't Hold Us, but the rest.... ehhh

6.5/10

39-Jay-Z-Ehhh.gif

tl;dr its a shame that Macklemore is the face of this album and resulting singles because Ryan Lewis is the star.

DominoKid

Okay so I listened to the Heist all the way through. I can see why this sells so much. Ryan Lewis is a pretty talented guy actually. He has a lot of good looks that could work for guys like Lupe or even a guy like Pitbull maybe. He's pretty versatile, and so is Macklemore. This album reminds me heavy of being in high school and actually enjoying shit like Atmosphere(scust) so it resonated with me decent in a self loathing way. That being said, this shit aint me. This is that John Lennon rap. There are some seriously hilarious ass make a difference lets be friends raps on here that are so corny it makes my heart want to implode and just die on the spot. Especially this gay marriage/love song Same Love, it's just so naive, cutesy, and panderingly liberal it's almost nauseating. This shit is different, but it isnt necessarily good. I just don't like Macklemore very much. There are times on this album i dont feel like I'm listening to hip hop, but I am at the same time. Actually, he reminds me of Neo Kanye in that regard. There's also WAY too much wimpy sing songy shit on here for my tastes. I like the hyper cuts like Can't Hold Us, but the rest.... ehhh

6.5/10

39-Jay-Z-Ehhh.gif

tl;dr its a shame that Macklemore is the face of this album and resulting singles because Ryan Lewis is the star.

this was pretty much my opinion on the album as well when i listened to it a while ago...except i never liked Atmosphere to begin with.

Esch

Banned
You saying Ryan Lewis production comes across like Ant production?

You got that from my review?

They are nothing alike. Ant is white boy strumming on your porch with an acoustic guitar and some shit that sounds like it belongs on that stage of a stomp! concert for drums. Ryan Lewis actually has layered shit and works samples well together.

no...idk how you pulled that out. i dont have a problem w/ the producers in each duo. it's the rappers.

You got that from my review?

They are nothing alike. Ant is white boy strumming on your porch with an acoustic guitar and some shit that sounds like it belongs on that stage of a Slam! concert for drums. Ryan Lewis actually has layered shit and works samples well together.

I just caught the tail end talking about Ryan Lewis. I haven't heard much of the album aside from the singles so I was genuinely asking not being sarcastic.

I honestly agree with PD when it comes to sells of Yeezus. I don't see it doing 400k. I have a hard time imagining 300k really....but I could see the 2nd week or so picking up more sales once people get news of his album

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom