• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT7| Either die the GOAT or live long enough to become Nas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cacophony

lol you guys. it has nothing to do her with her being japanese or neckbeards

theres just a time and place to discuss certain things. sometimes you have to bite your tongue

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Otis was like 2 weeks before & pre orders were a month before release. and HAM was like 6 months before

HAM was pretty much the only single
NIP was a single a month after the album dropped

Got it backwards HAM wasn't on the album and Otis was

DominoKid

so far this sounds like a second shot at making your first album. perhaps this will allow him to move on from this sound and grow as an artist. oh who am i kidding.

DominoKid

crosspost

few thoughts after a listen
- Cole has mastered the art of spitting hard as fuck w/o actually really talking about anything. it sounds good though.
- sound wise, there's definitely evidence of progression. lyrically? nah. same exact topics from the same perspective.
- production is nice. wish the drums hit harder but i could say that about every cole production ever. dude just likes soft drums i guess.
- definitely better than Cole World, how could it not be? feels like this is a second shot at making a good first album.
- he aint want that renegade from Kendrick. this album definitely could've used a few rap features. Cole aint good or interesting enough to be carrying an album by himself.

overall i'd give it...7/10. solid. by comparison i would give Cole World a 4 or 5.

Fuck the haters, Born Sinner is great.

I said the same thing when Cole World came out

nah this is actually a decent album. i hated Cole World on the first listen and it only got worse from there.

edit: and i would not be surprised if Mac's album ended up being better either. Yeezus > June 18 tho.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
East coast Game with less energetic production than Jesus Piece, and poor man versions of Nas songs.

Drake and Kendrick managed to progress as artists, in terms of their sound. This guy is stuck in his ways something serious.

Villuminati is dope though.

Esch

Banned
gaming related: francis might be the funniest man on youtube i've seen since chad warden. crazy how new console gens make people lose their goddamn minds

E3 about to be a feast

Da Art of Storytellin' and Electric Relaxation (Mystic Brew - Ronnie Foster) sample had me weak

Considering I thought the album was going to be mediocre because of Ni**az know, I'm quite surprised.

Oldschoolgamer

did drake really progress?

Regressed in some circles, but yes. You can hear a difference throughout all of his albums and mixtapes: for better or worse.

This shit is boring. He can't carry an album to save himself. Cole just doesn't have the diversity necessary to do it. smh. He's really talented, but ZzZzZzz.

Super smh @ Let Nas Down. I just knew this was going to be more "fellating my favorite artist" music.

edit: Fauntleroy is always great. This track isn't bad.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
and as much as yall joke about it, i really could go to sleep listening to Born Sinner. it's too mellow. he should've had a few joints like Chris Tucker on there.

definitely.

nah I don't think so, at least not very much. I think 40 got better though. rap-wise Thank me later is worse than SFG, but I definitely feel like its because Aubry was dumbing shit down. Rap-wise, so far gone and TC aren't that far apart which is why I say not very much. eh, I guess i proved my own argument wrong though I still don't think he improved enough to warrant any type of thumbs up. TML was just so shitty.

DominoKid

Regressed in some circles, but yes. You can hear a difference throughout all of his albums and mixtapes: for better or worse.

This shit is boring. He can't carry an album to save himself. Cole just doesn't have the diversity necessary to do it. smh. He's really talented, but ZzZzZzz.

Super smh @ Let Nas Down. I just knew this was going to be more "fellating my favorite artist" music.

edit: Fauntleroy is always great. This track isn't bad.

he's stretching himself too thin.

no rapper can do all the beats AND all the verses AND most of the hooks. not even Kanye would do that. because he understands the importance and value of his connections, and he isn't afraid to call on them. not to say that Cole can get whoever on his album like Kanye can, but he's definitely got the connections to bring other artists into his world and relieve some of the work load. IDK why he's just so averse to using it. you don't get brownie points for doing it all by yourself.

Recon

Banned
East coast Game with less energetic production than Jesus Piece, and poor man versions of Nas songs.

Drake and Kendrick managed to progress as artists, in terms of their sound. This guy is stuck in his ways something serious.

Villuminati is dope though.

I think Born Sinner is a nice progression. I just think Cole isnt ever gonna be what some of you want him to be.

What Cole really needs is someone to Executive Produce the fuck out of the album. Give him a direction and guidance. We all know Jay doesnt give enough fucks to do so.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I think Born Sinner is a nice progression. I just think Cole isnt ever gonna be what some of you want him to be.

we just want him to get some subject matter and not spread himself so thin. he's legitimately boring. his methods work well for the mixtape scene but this is the big leagues

edit: we're on the same page.

DominoKid

What Cole really needs is someone to Executive Produce the fuck out of the album. Give him a direction and guidance. We all know Jay doesnt give enough fucks to do so.

RAWSE! lol.

Yeah I always felt like that was the case overall, but I held out hope in the back of my mind because I really wanted to see an NC dude be that dude. This album drives that point home though. At least as long as he keeps trying to do it by himself.

Oldschoolgamer

Co-sign the executive producer necessity.

He also needs to stop trying to be the next version of Nas, and do him. That dream is dead and I'm not even sure Cole understands why it will never happen.

CRS

What the fuck is up with Land of the Snakes? I actually felt a little insulted.

Villuminati made me laugh but it's okay.

Okay, after the 3:00 minute mark, it's a lot better. Wish it was like that for the entire track.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
So I ain't fucking the gaming side so I figured I'd ask ya'll. I already know I'm not getting an Xbox One, fuck all that needs to be online to check every 24 hours shit. I don't live somewhere where that is remotely feasible for me. Plus all that other shit is obnoxious as well.
But what is the PS4's deal? Do we know yet? I haven't been following gaming much the last year, but I still enjoy playing on the weekends. So I really don't know wtf is going on. Will the PS4 also require always online and demand you dance like a puppet for it's built in spy camera?

Recon

Banned
So I ain't fucking the gaming side so I figured I'd ask ya'll. I already know I'm not getting an Xbox One, fuck all that needs to be online to check every 24 hours shit. I don't live somewhere where that is remotely feasible for me. Plus all that other shit is obnoxious as well.
But what is the PS4's deal? Do we know yet? I haven't been following gaming much the last year, but I still enjoy playing on the weekends. So I really don't know wtf is going on. Will the PS4 also require always online and demand you dance like a puppet for it's built in spy camera?

There is a quote from sony that you will be able to use your ps4 offline, oldschool like.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
There is a quote from sony that you will be able to use your ps4 offline, oldschool like.

Excellent. I just want a goddamn video game console. I want to turn on a machine, grab a controller, and play a game. No bullshit, no extra nonsense, no fucking dancing and waving hands around, no drm, no always online, no verifying, no checking, no pouring through menus, no tv streaming. Just let me sit back with some vodka and play a fucking video game.

gaming related: francis might be the funniest man on youtube i've seen since chad warden. crazy how new console gens make people lose their goddamn minds

E3 about to be a feast
Francis is great and it's even better when people think he's serious.
Oh and this Ninja Gaiden trailer is hilarious in the most ridiculous way possible.

IrishNinja

RIP PP, see you 14th

E3 about to be a feast

yeah, i really shouldn't enjoy stuff like that as much as i do

and agreed, E3 gonna be a madhouse when this site's up & running again...ima have some people over and drink every time the words experience, content, and cloud are used

Detox

he's stretching himself too thin.

no rapper can do all the beats AND all the verses AND most of the hooks. not even Kanye would do that. because he understands the importance and value of his connections, and he isn't afraid to call on them. not to say that Cole can get whoever on his album like Kanye can, but he's definitely got the connections to bring other artists into his world and relieve some of the work load. IDK why he's just so averse to using it. you don't get brownie points for doing it all by yourself.
Budget, Blue Ivy's toys aren't going to pay for themselves

I definitely like Born Sinner more than Cole World, but yeah damn, this shit is way too mellow. Yeah, I'm not giving any love to Let Nas Down either. I just don't understand what Cole said a week ago then him putting this song on the album lol.

Edit: Actually Domino's little review is pretty much spot on.

CRS

Born Sinner is missing some polish and the first half is a lot better than the second.
Album pretty much lowers in quality during Kendrick's track and goes down from there.

DominoKid

You know, I can buy folks saying SFG is Drake's best work. I don't agree but I can buy it. Comeback Season is a practice run though. Dude clearly hadn't found himself yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom