• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT8| Let Blackace Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I like Born Sinner but I a halfway through a full deluxe listen and the album is so long that its easy to forget the memorable moments.

I feel exhausted already. Songs almost blend together.

http://www.the-coli.com/4557919-post10.html
deadg.png

Goddddammnn lmao

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I like Born Sinner but I a halfway through a full deluxe listen and the album is so long that its easy to forget the memorable moments.

Yeah this is exactly the problem. Miller's album is that way too, but without highlights. It's a mesh of production. And the production is so damn good, just nothing pops. The problem when your album is almost too sonically cohesive.

Albums over 45-50 minutes need to be REALLY good to even be considered "good." I don't know why most rappers risk it.

A short, more hype Born Sinner could've probably been a pretty solid album.

Gonna repost this, if you like aggressive raps with the soul of Sean Price and rap style of R.A. The Rugged Man check this out.

I remember wanting to download this earlier in the year, I think. Just downloaded.

Looks like a few mixes are going to be on that KavinskyXAbel release.

K8WnBwz.jpg

I can't even begin to say how curious this has me, not even hyped--Curious. Kavinsky's more miss than hit with me, and is the weaker of the 80s noir electro acts, imo, but this... I don't even know. This feels like magic waiting to happen.
Yeah thought his album sucked tbh only reason I picked it up was for the drive credits song.

overcast

Yeah this is exactly the problem. Miller's album is that way too, but without highlights. It's a mesh of production. And the production is so damn good, just nothing pops. The problem when your album is almost too sonically cohesive.
I feel like Miller has some stand out tracks in the first half for sure. I agree though. That's why I'm giving Cole another shot, seeing which tracks are which.

XXX felt like perfect length, that had 19 songs. They were so different from each other though. So it was fine.
Is there an artist more consistent than Kanye though?

Everything he puts out is someone elses favorite album by him.
Not sure. Dude has such a great discography now. So great.

Does T.I. have no classic album?

Depends on your definition of classic, but I feel confident in saying T.i. certainly has had quite a huge influence on most mainstream hip-hop albums nowadays, especially the ones that try hard to have that one single that caters to everyone. I really hate that every T.I. album is like that nowadays. So ridiculously formulaic at this point

God damn, that place is a fucking cesspool.

Edit: I'm pretty sure we're listening to two different Mac albums, enzo
KTT is like the Hip hop version of 4chan. It's pretty funny seeing as how /mu/ has better actual discussion. I still love them both though and wouldn't change a thing <3

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I rarely go to KTT. When I end up there I always realize why I never made an account. Half the posts are pure foolishness.

Man, I gotta say I really disagree with this. I think J Cole project is more sonically cohesive, but it just meshes altogether in a way that makes it boring. I feel the opposite for Mac Miller project honestly. I don't see(hear) what you are hearing. The only tracks I can remotely agree with you meshing together is like the last 3 tracks(REMember, Someone Like You, and YouForia). Everything else is different enough from each other not to bore me. I don't go from I'm not Real to SDS to Bird Call to Matches and think damn this is just one long ass track

HiResDes

I rarely go to KTT. When I end up there I always realize why I never made an account. Half the posts are pure foolishness.
Hey if you have a little more money I forgot to suggest The Somic MH463, which are better than some $200 headphones, but you'll need to replace the pads, which suck on them with these. But they are open, and don't block sound out as well.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Man, I gotta say I really disagree with this. I think J Cole project is more sonically cohesive, but it just meshes altogether in a way that makes it boring. I feel the opposite for Mac Miller project honestly. I don't see(hear) what you are hearing. The only tracks I can remotely agree with you meshing together is like the last 3 tracks(REMember, Someone Like You, and YouForia). Everything else is different enough from each other not to bore me. I don't go from I'm not Real to SDS to Bird Call to Matches and think damn this is just one long ass track
Maybe that's just recency bias in effect, but I do plan to give the album a few more listens later, same with J. Cole.

Impressions here of the J. Cole album seem to be lining up 1:1 with Common's last album right now though. I wonder if I'll go back to Born Sinner and it'll be a lot better for me but I doubt it.

Honestly all Cole would have to do is switch out some tracks with some of the ones from Truly Yours 2 and 3. I would actually consider it great. It's really odd too because the complaints about Cole beats not having good drums doesn't apply to majority of the songs from Truly Yours 2 and 3

HiResDes

Also I think there have been plenty of really good albums, and I don't understand how people act like there isn't a single memorable one. If that's the case you've become burned out with the genre itself, and need to expand your horizons instead of relying on hip-hop as the end all, be all.

Depends on your definition of classic, but I feel confident in saying T.i. certainly has had quite a huge influence on most mainstream hip-hop albums nowadays, especially the ones that try hard to have that one single that caters to everyone. I really hate that every T.I. album is like that nowadays. So ridiculously formulaic at this point

Urban Legend (commercial classic) or Trap Muzik (genre classic). pick one.

T.I. - 'Urban Legend' is a classic

...T.I.'s albums can be formulaic, but at the very least they don't seem half assed. None of the mans albums have been offensive.

Speaking of T.I. he probably my favorite feature artist.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Also I think there have been plenty of really good albums, and I don't understand how people act like there isn't a single memorable one. If that's the case you've become burned out with the genre itself, and need to expand your horizons instead of relying on hip-hop as the end all, be all.

Sure there have been some really good albums, but nothing that's sticking in the back of the ol' noggin. Nothing I'd actively go seeking out to listen to right now. That album hasn't existed this year, not yet. Last year for me it was HnC. I'd go back to it over the entire year and still just fuck with it as a full album, not just as a couple tracks here and there. That full album experience isn't out there, not yet, not in hip.hop I don't think.

T.I. - 'Urban Legend' is a classic

...T.I.'s albums can be formulaic, but at the very least they don't seem half assed. None of the mans albums have been offensive.

Speaking of T.I. he probably my favorite feature artist.

I wasn't saying it as if I personally don't believe he has a classic. Also, his previous apologetic albums are offensive to me, but he did what he had to do to lower his prison time I guess

iavi

Or, you are listening to other genres and Hip-Hop isn't striking the iron like it should; Which is what I'm gathering is the case for most of us in here expressing the sentiment.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
If it isn't out to you yet with all of the shit that's came out then it won't be all year I'd presume.

Nah, I choose not to live with that. I want there to be that one killer album this year that I'll be bouncing back to later into this year and next. It'll be there, still plenty of time.

CRS

It's awesome, a bit darker than I expected, same with the new Sigur Ros, which I hope people haven't written off.
Sounds good to me. The darker, the better.

I just need a Lil Sad LP. I really need something more then an EP.

Edit: Wouldn't be surprised if Waka put out some dark AOTY shit.

I wasn't saying it as if I personally don't believe he has a classic. Also, his previous apologetic albums are offensive to me, but he did what he had to do to lower his prison time I guess

I didn't take that it that way, and OH GOSH (Big Sean Voice) I forgot about 'No Mercy'. THAT was offensive!! Lets ALL forget that.

DominoKid

Honestly all Cole would have to do is switch out some tracks with some of the ones from Truly Yours 2 and 3. I would actually consider it great. It's really odd too because the complaints about Cole beats not having good drums doesn't apply to majority of the songs from Truly Yours 2 and 3

nah just switch the whole fuckin album out.

iavi

Listening through Watching Movies with the Sound Off... a lot of these beats sound like some of the garbage I hear while scouring BC. Struggle synths, and punchless drums.

On the flip-side, I'm loving the roksyopp keys on Objects in the Mirror. That ambiance.

E: might have spoken too soon. Red Dot Music is hot too. This isn't a second-half stronger ordeal is it?

CRS

Listening through Watching Movies with the Sound Off... a lot of these beats sound like some of the garbage I hear while scouring BC. Struggle synths, and punchless drums.

On the flip-side, I'm loving the roksyopp keys on Objects in the Mirror. That ambiance.

E: might have spoken too soon. Red Dot Music is hot too. This isn't a second-half stronger ordeal is it?
Nope. It's an overall strong ordeal.

iavi

Nope. It's an overall strong ordeal.

That first half, man, it wasn't the worst thing, but nothing I see myself revisiting ever. Even EARL came weak, which disappointed pretty fucking hard.

E: lol @ this Red Dot outro. This is hot.

E2: Gees is yay area as hell. I fuck with this.

HiResDes

Rob Sonic - Alice in Thunderdome
Deniro Farrar - The Patriarch
Kanye West - Yeezus
MFN Exquire - Kismet
IAMSU - Kilt 2
P-Money - Gratitude
French Montana - Excuse My French
Killah Priest - The Psychic World of Walter Reed
Jeremiah Jae & Oliver - Rawhyde
Zeroh - Bred
Quelle Chris - Niggas is Men
Cult Favorite - For Madmen Only
Milo - Things That Happen At Night/Day
Bones - Creep

...Just some of my favorites

iavi

oh shit Zeroh released something new this year?

E:

6In7nST.gif

@

Watching Movies

HOOOOOOOOOLLLLYYY FUCCCCCKKKK

Repeat. repeat.

fuck that, CRS, this is definitely a second half strong as fuck ordeal. Unless, you meant how good the second half is evens out the first.

njean777

You know I really couldn't stand Coles first album, but Born Sinner isn't to bad to be honest. Quite surprised it isn't garbage.

HiResDes

Killah Priest's album sounds like the album Jay Electronica would make if he shut himself in the studio for four years straight.

Tokubetsu

I love you Miizy but if you're coming up with better synths please send me them, let's collaborate because I will lace you with some fire drum patterns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom