• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT9/9/99| African Substitute Teachers Run NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheddahz

Banned
24a.jpg

MellowHigh - Yu

I just about to post this, lol

The beat is nice and Domo's verse is good

Ohnonono

You like the new Kayo Dot? Also there's a new album by half of Isis.

Edit: He might like Three 6 Mafia's Mystic Stylez too, but great recs obviously

I love all Kayo Dot. Also Maudlin of the Well. I got my degree in fine arts with a focus in performance art so the absolute insane pretentiousness of Kayo Dot doesn't bother me as much as it does some people because I am just as bad in my own work. Toby is consistent and uncompromising and I adore that. Also the new album is my favorite since CotE for sure(and more MotW-ish than I though Kayo Dot would go). I will stop with that talk though as this is pretty off-topic :D

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
You can never truly be an ex metal head.

Once apart of the Metal Brotherhood always apart of the Metal Brotherhood.

Kimosabae

Banned
Speaking of metal - what would someone recommend to someone that enjoyed Black Sabbath's '13' that is ignorant of the genre? Furthermore, why does it seem like the album got no attention whatsoever? It sold well and got decent reviews - but no one seems to be talking about it. I guess Sabbath is for old people, now? I thought the record was dope.

Esch

Banned
Speaking of metal - what would someone recommend to someone that enjoyed Black Sabbath's '13' that is ignorant of the genre? Furthermore, why does it seem like the album got no attention whatsoever? It sold well and got decent reviews - but no one seems to be talking about it. I guess Sabbath is for old people, now? I thought the record was dope.
Idk but if you like Sabbath you should listen to Reverend Bizarres III album, and Saint Vitus Born Too Late.

Metal is a dead genre tbh tho, its pinnacle was the 90s and everything else has been intermittent classics. I never felt like it interacted with the internet well.

joelseph

http://ikeaordeath.com/

"IKEA is that friendly shop where you get cheap furniture from the inside of a giant, unending warehouse. Black metal is the kind of music that sounds like someone screaming while trapped inside a burning church. They each possess a fervent fan base. And to tell you the truth, the names of the furniture in IKEA sound a lot like the names of black metal bands. Consider this quiz an educational way to learn the difference between the two. It doesn’t matter if you know who Burzum is or if you’ve ever sat in a Preben chair – it’s time to have some kvlt fun. Death to false furniture!"

Esch

Banned
http://ikeaordeath.com/

"IKEA is that friendly shop where you get cheap furniture from the inside of a giant, unending warehouse. Black metal is the kind of music that sounds like someone screaming while trapped inside a burning church. They each possess a fervent fan base. And to tell you the truth, the names of the furniture in IKEA sound a lot like the names of black metal bands. Consider this quiz an educational way to learn the difference between the two. It doesn’t matter if you know who Burzum is or if you’ve ever sat in a Preben chair – it’s time to have some kvlt fun. Death to false furniture!"
19/20. Never listened to Nortt before.

No surprise. Never cared much for the depressive black metal solo guys. Always felt like they were all trying to be Varg without the composition and thematic talent.

wenis

The problem with Metal online is that back in the day you'd get a tape full of random acts, you'd hunt down that one specific act you really enjoyed for awhile, but the discover like 3 others in the process and it would take time to find more work from all 4. Now tho it's just a constant barrage of stuff that ends up blurring all together at once and people get burnt out on the material really quickly. At least back then when you found that one track or EP or LP you'd play the fuck out of it and eventually find another piece of music to the collection over time.

That and the breadth of genres withinetal gets to be staggering, overwhelming and convoluted.

Seems like there's a new Kanye thread every week.

My comment in the last thread about how people who hate on him secretly masturbate to him in their cubicle is basically what's happening except they're all masturbating in public right now.

I used to only listen to metal albums, kinda moved outta that phase a few years ago. Still appreciate a good one every few months or so. That Gris album from this year is nuts.

Esch

Banned
Metal is very crab in the barrel as well. The old kvltists like me tend to really hate the new BtBAM WitTR style pitchfork metal for being so shamelessly gimmick based, and hate the throwback acts (the joe badasses of the genre) for having no vision. I still like some of the newer stuff. I remember really being into Mithras, Portal, and Crimson Massacre before I bowed out of the genre.

Esch

Banned
BtBAM is gimmick based?

wut?
You're gonna disagree on this because youre a conye stan(and this is the essence of his music), but fake innovative metal is the worst. Btbam make music clumsily patchworked with other genres in a very heavyhanded way. They kinda fall into the same trap as earlier bands like Cynic and Enslaved eventually did, shoehorning in keyboard interludez and breakdownz randomly into songs, playing around with time signatures and all that just to fap. Gimmicks. When metal is truly innovating, itll take the lexicon of other genres, reinterpret, and breathe it out in metal terms like Atheist did with Jazz or Suffocation did with punk. Now the success of that is subjective, as is the individual songwriting, but I much prefer the latter approach because it sounds more compositionally cohesive tbh.

Ohnonono

You can never truly be an ex metal head.

Once apart of the Metal Brotherhood always apart of the Metal Brotherhood.

No doubt about this. Didn't mean to imply I don't still listen to it, but I just don't listen at the exclusion of other stuff. If I was to make music today it would be metal without a doubt.

wenis

You're gonna disagree on this because youre a conye stan(and this is the essence of his music), but fake innovative metal is the worst. Btbam make music clumsily patchworked with other genres in a very heavyhanded way. They kinda fall into the same trap as earlier bands like Cynic and Enslaved eventually did, shoehorning in keyboard interludez and breakdownz randomly into songs, playing around with time signatures and all that just to fap. Gimmicks. When metal is truly innovating, itll take the lexicon of other genres, reinterpret, and breathe it out in metal terms like Atheist did with Jazz or Suffocation did with punk. Now the success of that is subjective, as is the individual songwriting, but I much prefer the latter approach because it sounds more compositionally cohesive tbh.

tumblr_mm9jf6GkyH1rjxj9ko1_500.gif

It's not that I don't agree it's that I just can't keep giving that much shit about what I enjoy anymore. I remember being in high school and only enjoying Dream Theater. Back then I'd say it was the future of music and Babbitt bloopity blah, but really I was in love with the technical prowess and god like shadows they casted on other music and that was mostly because I was a practicing musician at the time with the space and time to divulge in getting technically trained in one handed paradiddles across an entire set at some fucked up 8/16 time sig while playing blast beats. I look back on it now and see it as silly and a party trick I can do.

Now tho I just enjoy what I enjoy. I got tired of breaking music down too much. It's fun tho to poke the bear.

Ohnonono

I pretty much hate all Weakling worship USBM (Becasue Weakling is just better.) Latest black metal album I really liked was the last Altar of Plagues. I only listened to it in the first place because I love WIFE and figured out it was the same guy. The main issue with MOST metal is that not only does it copy itself too much, it also does it too fast and usually not nearly as well as it was done the first time. Metal as a general rule has no sense of subtlety. Sometimes that worth celebrating, but most of the time it makes for shit that offers nothing over time.

I love all Kayo Dot. Also Maudlin of the Well. I got my degree in fine arts with a focus in performance art so the absolute insane pretentiousness of Kayo Dot doesn't bother me as much as it does some people because I am just as bad in my own work. Toby is consistent and uncompromising and I adore that. Also the new album is my favorite since CotE for sure(and more MotW-ish than I though Kayo Dot would go). I will stop with that talk though as this is pretty off-topic :D
You're in an OFF-TOPIC community. There's no such thing.

Esch

Banned
It's not that I don't agree it's that I just can't keep giving that much shit about what I enjoy anymore. I remember being in high school and only enjoying Dream Theater. Back then I'd say it was the future of music and Babbitt bloopity blah, but really I was in love with the technical prowess and god like shadows they casted on other music and that was mostly because I was a practicing musician at the time with the space and time to divulge in getting technically trained in one handed paradiddles across an entire set at some fucked up 8/16 time sig while playing blast beats. I look back on it now and see it as silly and a party trick I can do.

Now tho I just enjoy what I enjoy. I got tired of breaking music down too much. It's fun tho to poke the bear.

Hahahaha, dream theater. I was really into them for about a month or two when I was in high school too. I probably still have one of their albums laying around somewhere. After a while you realize they're just Rush with better musicianship aka terrible. I was also into shred and the really fappy tech death like Necrophagist for a while but after a while you learn that shit just sucks, it's just scalefap. Even that shit is better than the Pitchfork copy paste metal though, because it's at least genuine in it's desire to fap harder and better than their competitors. I mean you enjoy what you enjoy sure, but I'm kind of tired of people claiming that copy paste music is so great and forward thinking and innovative. It's really not. It's kind of a symptom of the internet and general attention deficit naughties culture, where people are lauded for their breadth of knowledge rather than their depth on any single subject. It's one of the reasons why I feel like I should hate Yeezus. I would if the textures weren't so good and the aggression wasn't there.
I pretty much hate all Weakling worship USBM (Becasue Weakling is just better.) Latest black metal album I really liked was the last Altar of Plagues. I only listened to it in the first place because I love WIFE and figured out it was the same guy. The main issue with MOST metal is that not only does it copy itself too much, it also does it too fast and usually not nearly as well as it was done the first time. Metal as a general rule has no sense of subtlety. Sometimes that worth celebrating, but most of the time it makes for shit that offers nothing over time.

Word, that shit is awful. I cant remember the last black metal I liked. Maybe something by Averse Sefira?

Recon

Banned
Hello Hip-Hop GAF. I am 31 years old and after years of listening to just the most underground of extreme metal, I started getting into some electronic music and after a year of that I am starting to get into some Hip-Hop.
I have bought 3 albums so far. Long.Live.A$AP, Old, and good kid, m.A.A.d city. So far a like Old>GKMC>>>A$AP. Danny Brown and Kendrick are absolutely amazing. Rocky lets my ass down though. ALL he talks about is how pretty he is and he just doesn't flow as well as the other stuff. Maybe its a style thing that I will grow into the more I listen but so far BOO. He also fucks up Kush Coma by coming in on a song about mixed feelings about a cycle of drug abuse and talks about how pretty he is while trying to rhyme phonebook with phonebook.

I am so new to listening to most of this stuff that I am always willing to figure I am missing something but Rocky seems terrible besides the production.

Next album I might pick up is Schoolboy Q. Every feature I hear him on he is really good so I may check him out.

So far Danny Brown is great on all levels and it helps that his production selection is amazing.

Anyway, Hi Hip-Hop GAF.

Throw on some Lupe and thank me later!

Esch

Banned
The metal internet community
scusthov.gif
compared to the hip-hop community. If you thought backpacker elitism was bad, wheeew.

Metal elitism is the best. It's if you don't like what I like, you're a false head/idiot/diametrically opposed to me on a philosophical level and when/if we meet we're gonna fight you bitch

CRS

If underground/"real" hip-hop dudes weren't about that Native Tongue life, I bet they'd be up there in pure hatred.

Tokubetsu

The metal internet community
scusthov.gif
compared to the hip-hop community. If you thought backpacker elitism was bad, wheeew.

Metal elitism is the best. It's if you don't like what I like, you're a false head/idiot/diametrically opposed to me on a philosophical level and when/if we meet we're gonna fight you bitch

They're very similar. Biggest difference is you can kinda sidestep rap elitism easily. If you're into metal and want to discuss it, it'll be inescapable.

Horror film elitism up there too.

I mean, elitism is really common in pretty much any underground music scene, but the fact that metal as a whole is an underground genre is what makes it so prevalent. There's a difference between guys like Esch who have some context with composition and can break down why they don't like x, and how y is better, and the guys who just repeat the same shit that everyone's been complaining about for the past 30 years, e.g.: selling out. I've always been a casual fan of the genre, and I've tried to give each genre/band an honest listen. If it tastes good sonically, cool, if not, move on and don't cry about some other dude who might enjoy it.

CRS

Also, the metal talk always shows up every thread or two and lasts for a good page or until Blackace gets tired of it. I personally love it because band names always get dropped and it's more metal for me to check it out.

Y'all down for a Metal Slug Plug sesh later today?

Tokubetsu

Oh you like XXX? *snickers*, you should check out the band they're ripping.

*links you to some finnish band that only release two albums between 1991 and 1993 that were recorded in a cabin somewhere in a deep wood*
I need some horror film elitism in my life. Gimme some names of films.

btw if you haven't seen Kill List, go see it. Netflix

Kill List is great.

Esch

Banned
Oh you like XXX? *snickers*, you should check out the band they're ripping.

*links you to some finnish band that only release two albums between 1991 and 1993 that were recorded in a cabin somewhere in a deep wood*

Hahahaha, so true. I much prefer the ANUS school of elitism where you piece by piece pick something apart until the other person doesn't like it anymore or feels like shit for liking it.

There's always an undercurrent in metal of the falses vs the trve/tr00/true, and that debate becomes a spectrum. People just get pretty crazy with it. Some examples:

the 80s: glam and hair metal vs. thrash
the 90s: hard rock (stuff like Tool, System, POD, Nickelback) vs. Death and Black Metal
the 00s: metalcore kiddos vs. the dying remnants of extreme metal and purists

There is always this Battlestar Galactica esque cycle in which one side invents a sound (iron maiden for example) and then it is whored out commercially (bands like motley crue etc) and the cycle of hate continues. Now it's mostly dead, because metal is dead, but that's the source of the crab in a barrel mentality. It's different from rap, because quite frankly commercial rap can be pretty dope and rap wasnt opposed to being party music and fun from the beginning. Trve metal culture just cannot be associated with anything like that, because of the underlying nihilism and anticulture of metal.

grkazan12

The Breakfast Club did a really great interview with Cam'Ron. Highly recommended. Cam's awesome, dude comes off as level headed and mad knowledgeable.

Always liked dude's music and I miss the days of Dipset being played everywhere in high school. Everyone should really get Ghetto Heaven Vol. 1, so goood.

Part 1
Part 2

Cam about to wear capes.
banderas.png

Ohnonono

The hardest thing to get over with hip hop for me so far (and I admit its REAL dumb) is that something that is popular might also be amazing. It is years of metal conditioning. Kendrick Lamar with the biggest breaking point with that. That motherfucker is absolutely amazing.

That said I really don't dig on Drake (All I have heard is radio stuff.)

It is odd to get to sort through the popular stuff and have people that you actually get to kind of root for.

codhand

The Breakfast Club did a really great interview with Cam'Ron. Highly recommended. Cam's awesome, dude comes off as level headed and mad knowledgeable.

Always liked dude's music and I miss the days of Dipset being played everywhere in high school. Everyone should really get Ghetto Heaven Vol. 1, so goood.

"They tried to low-ball me, no homo."
haha never change cam

Esch

Banned
The hardest thing to get over with hip hop for me so far (and I admit its REAL dumb) is that something that is popular might also be amazing. It is years of metal conditioning. Kendrick Lamar with the biggest breaking point with that. That motherfucker is absolutely amazing.

That said I really don't dig on Drake (All I have heard is radio stuff.)

It is odd to get to sort through the popular stuff and have people that you actually get to kind of root for.

That's the interesting point. I also transitioned from Metal exclusivity to loving Electronic. I got really into the ambient stuff which has obvious crossover with dudes like Burzum, Ulver, Darkthrone, etc etc. and relevant sideprojects...

But for a long time I couldn't reconcile the idea of 'having fun' with music or getting with commercial rap, which is why I stuck mostly with stuck in the 90s dude rap; Wu-Tang, Nas, Mobb Deep, various indie acts in the 00s etc. Eventually though, you just gotta spread your wings and fly, and realize that you shouldn't hate on dudes for getting that bread. There just isn't that same 'objective' divide in quality in the mainstream and underground in rap, especially not nowadays where the indie and mainstream lines are so blurred.

edit: yep Tool is trash. I wish i could trip maynard down a stone cut staircase

Ohnonono

That's the interesting point. I also transitioned from Metal exclusivity to loving Electronic. I got really into the ambient stuff which has obvious crossover with dudes like Burzum, Ulver, Darkthrone, etc etc. and relevant sideprojects...

But for a long time I couldn't reconcile the idea of 'having fun' with music or getting with commercial rap, which is why I stuck mostly with stuck in the 90s dude rap; Wu-Tang, Nas, Mobb Deep, various indie acts in the 00s etc. Eventually though, you just gotta spread your wings and fly, and realize that you shouldn't hate on dudes for getting that bread. There just isn't that same 'objective' divide in quality in the mainstream and underground in rap, especially not nowadays where the indie and mainstream lines are so blurred.

edit: yep Tool is trash. I wish i could trip maynard down a stone cut staircase

Aye, electronic is why I got into hip hop at all. Now I just want someone to figure out how to rap over some Burial!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom