• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT9/9/99| African Substitute Teachers Run NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiiiLife

Some of you guys are idiots saying this is going to suck based off the track list. Wait until the leak to be the judge. Every time a track list comes out people freak out because there is or isn't someone on it. Chill.

But Skylar is woat. How do you go from Sticky Fingaz and Xzibit to the singer from Fun? I'm sure the skepticicm and backlash is warranted especially considering there are officially more pop artists than rappers featured on here lol.

But Skylar is woat. How do you go from Sticky Fingaz and Xzibit to the singer from Fun? I'm sure the skepticicm and backlash is warranted especially considering there are officially more pop artists than rappers featured on here lol.

I'm skeptical too since he has been hit or miss for a few years now. I don't know man, there seem to be some filler songs on there (like most albums) but that Kendrick collab, Rap God and couple others bring out my inner Stan.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Skylar and Rihanna and that nerd are the only features?

The title was a lie.

EDIT: oh yeah Kendrick is cool, I guess

HiiiLife

I'm skeptical too since he has been hit or miss for a few years now. I don't know man, there seem to be some filler songs on there (like most albums) but that Kendrick collab, Rap God and couple others bring out my inner Stan.

You right you right. Legacy, Rap God, Rhyme or Reason.. I really hope Em snaps on the tracks that don't feature pop artists. Berzerk? It's whatever. I knew it was gonna be on the album. I'm over it. But Survival? I thought it was a CoD Ghosts bonus. Don't like that track at all. I honestly can't vision anything other than Lighters type sounding songs with the pop features. I need that gully Em. Goddamit Marshall.

effzee

what. Why can't we judge off a track list? Pretty obvious what the vibe is going to be on certain songs. Would it make a difference if we had a producer list too? Cmon man

Bagpipes from Baghdad. I thought it would be a political song.

Hell half the songs off of Relapse are opposite of what I thought they would be content wise.

I guess you can get some idea but I don't get how you can claim an album will suck based on a tracklist especially when half the posters already wrote off the album before it was announced. What titles for tracks would excite you?

he probably originally had Drake or J Cole on it but decided to scrap them for Kendrick when Control verse came out.

Don't know if you are joking.

Kendrick visited Em in Detroit over the summer. They even played a few shows together in Europe in August.

Skylar is going to at most write a hook. The song's quality will depend solely on Em.

Same with all the other features. I don't get the big deal. They could be any types of songs and if they suck it will be because of Em, his content, lyrics, and rhymes and NOT because who is on the hook.

Rhianna is on all like all rap albums. But if she is on an Em song its a problem?

My disappointment comes from not having someone like Lana or more rappers on the album. But can't complain since this mans no D12, 50, or some other rappers taking up verses. I rather have features for hooks only.

I think reactions to tracklists are pointless. We don't know what the production will be and how well or bad Em will be on it. If you were hyped before don't see why you wouldn't be still. I mean he doesn't need the MMLP call back for sales or to stay relevant. Recovery sold 5 million. Lets hope the album's direction is still more like MMLP and less like Recovery/Relapse.

They put Kendrick on a song called Love Game.

Pretty sure the "Love" here will be rap.

naw

RIDE WITCHA BOY RIDE WITCHA BOYRIDE WITCHA BOY RIDE WITCHA BOYRIDE WITCHA BOY RIDE WITCHA BOYRIDE WITCHA BOY RIDE WITCHA BOYRIDE WITCHA BOY RIDE WITCHA BOYRIDE WITCHA BOY RIDE WITCHA BOYRIDE WITCHA BOY RIDE WITCHA BOY

http://plug.dj/gaf-hop/

i4GHQVE762Sjz.gif
inl68btHOgbpw.gif

overcast

The skepticism largely stems from the fact Em has been mediocre for a long ass time and the fact that the 2 songs are straight shit.

effzee

The skepticism largely stems from the fact Em has been mediocre for a long ass time and the fact that the 2 songs are straight shit.

Well Berserk is ok to me. Survivor should not be on the album but that's legit concern. I don't get crying over Rhianna, Grey, or singer from Fun being on the album.

Whether album is great, good, ok, average, mediocre, or terrible will be solely on Em. And maybe some on Dre. Not on who sings a hook.

HiiiLife

Skylar is going to at most write a hook. The song's quality will depend solely on Em.

Same with all the other features. I don't get the big deal. They could be any types of songs and if they suck it will be because of Em, his content, lyrics, and rhymes and NOT because who is on the hook.

Rhianna is on all like all rap albums. But if she is on an Em song its a problem?

My disappointment comes from not having someone like Lana or more rappers on the album. But can't complain since this mans no D12, 50, or some other rappers taking up verses. I rather have features for hooks only.

I think reactions to tracklists are pointless. We don't know what the production will be and how well or bad Em will be on it. If you were hyped before don't see why you wouldn't be still. I mean he doesn't need the MMLP call back for sales or to stay relevant. Recovery sold 5 million. Lets hope the album's direction is still more like MMLP and less like Recovery/Relapse.

Pretty sure the "Love" here will be rap.

Yeah it's bad because I didn't like any of the songs he's done with Rihanna or Skylar. LTWYL? INAD? Bicycle? Numb? Our House? You a fan of those tracks? And on top of that I'm not a fan of them as singers either. The songs weren't trash solely because Em they were just all around trash. Lol. It's not that hard to understand tbh breh.

Tokubetsu

Pusha T's "My Name Is My Name" and the Street Value of Lyrics in Rap

For Pusha's part, My Name Is My Name is an unusual record. It is a fairly unique album, with a well-articulated aesthetic. It bears a strong stamp of Kanye West's creative direction. It's twelve tracks long, and creates a framework that is less visceral or innovative than it is refined, curated, and tasteful. Pusha T is a survivor of an era in which gangster rap was dominant, when street lyricists were dominant and Kanye West was an upstart. Now the tables have turned. The album could be title Kanye West Presents Pusha T. Pusha is uprooted from his origins, and placed, like a rose inside a transparent dome display case, for Kanye's substantial fanbase, to appreciate. Here he is: the gangster rapper as museum installation

Elliot Wilson dick riding to the nth degree
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxyFRmpgMRU

the fuck is up with this, seriously. Drake is obviously the biggest new rapper in the game, but how does that make him the best? Macklemore sold more records and has more hits off his new album, does that make him better than Drake now?

And the Nas/Jay-Z comparison is such a cop out. I can't think of another genre of music so focused on what little sales it manages to generate in a year. Everything is more important than the actual music - endorsements, business deals, sales, etc. That's why I love what Kendrick did. He went platinum without a dumb party anthem, without a gold chain, without smoking/drinking/whatever, etc. He says fuck all that, it's about the music.

Tokubetsu

Elliot Wilson dick riding to the nth degree
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxyFRmpgMRU

the fuck is up with this, seriously. Drake is obviously the biggest new rapper in the game, but how does that make him the best? Macklemore sold more records and has more hits off his new album, does that make him better than Drake now?

And the Nas/Jay-Z comparison is such a cop out. I can't think of another genre of music so focused on what little sales it manages to generate in a year. Everything is more important than the actual music - endorsements, business deals, sales, etc. That's why I love what Kendrick did. He went platinum without a dumb party anthem, without a gold chain, without smoking/drinking/whatever, etc. He says fuck all that, it's about the music.

You can't take a grown ass man thats so far removed from his twenties with that haircut seriously.

Esch

Banned
Cant stand Eliot Wilson. Worst radio celebrity in hip hop period, and I say that with a big middlefinger pointed at funk flex.

plug brehs, lost ethernet for a min. Be back soon ;_;

Linkhero1

You right you right. Legacy, Rap God, Rhyme or Reason.. I really hope Em snaps on the tracks that don't feature pop artists. Berzerk? It's whatever. I knew it was gonna be on the album. I'm over it. But Survival? I thought it was a CoD Ghosts bonus. Don't like that track at all. I honestly can't vision anything other than Lighters type sounding songs with the pop features. I need that gully Em. Goddamit Marshall.
I feel the same. I miss angry Em.

Ohnonono

Hello Hip-Hop GAF. I am 31 years old and after years of listening to just the most underground of extreme metal, I started getting into some electronic music and after a year of that I am starting to get into some Hip-Hop.
I have bought 3 albums so far. Long.Live.A$AP, Old, and good kid, m.A.A.d city. So far a like Old>GKMC>>>A$AP. Danny Brown and Kendrick are absolutely amazing. Rocky lets my ass down though. ALL he talks about is how pretty he is and he just doesn't flow as well as the other stuff. Maybe its a style thing that I will grow into the more I listen but so far BOO. He also fucks up Kush Coma by coming in on a song about mixed feelings about a cycle of drug abuse and talks about how pretty he is while trying to rhyme phonebook with phonebook.

I am so new to listening to most of this stuff that I am always willing to figure I am missing something but Rocky seems terrible besides the production.

Next album I might pick up is Schoolboy Q. Every feature I hear him on he is really good so I may check him out.

So far Danny Brown is great on all levels and it helps that his production selection is amazing.

Anyway, Hi Hip-Hop GAF.

codhand

you lost like a plane out of tower range that flew through bermuda mist /
we walk around in the ghetto metal heavy as sewer lids

M2htt.gif

Esch

Banned
Hello Hip-Hop GAF. I am 31 years old and after years of listening to just the most underground of extreme metal, .

Welcome! You'll find a solid amount of ex-metalheads here (myself included). What are you into in that genre?

If you're anything like me, you'll take like a duck to water with some Wu-Tang. Listen to Liquid Swords and Enter the 36 Chambers first.

Ohnonono

Welcome! You'll find a solid amount of ex-metalheads here (myself included). What are you into in that genre?

If you're anything like me, you'll take like a duck to water with some Wu-Tang. Listen to Liquid Swords and Enter the 36 Chambers first.

I played in Grind and Black Metal bands in high school and college. At this point I really only listen to old albums. Early Darkthrone, At the Gates, Nasum, I also love Kayo Dot but I don't think that counts as metal or anything.

Yeah I will have to check out some Wu-Tang. It is hard though, I have a really strong dislike for shit that was real popular when I was in high school. Its completely unfair to the music but I can't escape it. I love early west coast stuff (NWA, The Chronic, Easy-E, 2-Pac) but its mostly because when I was really young we used to listen to it so it has a place in muh heart.

Esch

Banned
I played in Grind and Black Metal bands in high school and college. At this point I really only listen to old albums. Early Darkthrone, At the Gates, Nasum, I also love Kayo Dot but I don't think that counts as metal or anything.

Word, I love Darkthrone and (early) At the Gates. The Red in the Sky is still one of the best albums ever made imo in that genre. I also like Toby's stuff, but not Kayo Dot I guess lol. maudlin of the Well is still great on a song by song basis to me though.

you also wanna listen to Dalek. Very dark, industrial production, great atmosphere. Check out the Abandoned Language, From Filthy Tongues of Gods and Griots, and Absence records. Pretty much in the bag if you like Black Metal.

HiResDes

Yeah I will have to check out some Wu-Tang. It is hard though, I have a really strong dislike for shit that was real popular when I was in high school. Its completely unfair to the music but I can't escape it. I love early west coast stuff (NWA, The Chronic, Easy-E, 2-Pac) but its mostly because when I was really young we used to listen to it so it has a place in muh heart.

You like the new Kayo Dot? Also there's a new album by half of Isis.

Edit: He might like Three 6 Mafia's Mystic Stylez too, but great recs obviously

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom