• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTV| 2Chainz on my neck, 1Finger in my anus

Status
Not open for further replies.

IrishNinja

1187695_o.gif

industry legend stays relevant by signing off to have birdman's hands in both his pockets...state of the industry is rough right now.

ive made that NFL analogy before about hip-hop: a few dudes are making more than ever playing this shit, but the spread/# of people n the field is smaller. i wanna say des and others countered by saying more people can get by & eat with the digital model, and that's a good thing too - but didn't we say pretty much nobody but top 3-5 go platinum anymore? or has that changed?

do ya'll see it kinda like the early 90s where going gold is the new platinum for people who aren't on the radio constantly (weezy, drake etc) or have been established forever now (em, not sure who else)?

eshas this JD sour mash bout to make me get reckless, i swear i wrote down your better brand for next time i reup...but my connect just texted that he's got purp so watch me go HAM in the wrong thread like yo ass and hope mumei can save me too, ahahaha

Macca

I think it's pretty crazy to expect as many platinum selling albums in this age. I mean, when consumers are able to buy single tracks off itunes you pretty much have to have both a broad and dedicated fanbase to purchase full albums.

IrishNinja

^if that's true (and im inclined to agree), why do we still see albums with so much filler, much less double ones? outdated record contracts?

this might be some naive shit, but i was working a record store in the late 90s/early 2000's reading clever articles by courtney love (i know) about digital futures and dudes like dave grohl (sp?) producing his own shit from a garage studio, others bypassing ticketmaster, etc and thought the writing was on the wall (finally) for fucked-up, life-sucking Jive records-esque contracts.

yet here we are in 2012 and dudes are still acting like crabs in a bucket, walking on each other to bend over & get fucked by these things by an A&R mountain climber that plays an electric guitar. how do we have an industry with such new elements as twitter fanbases, viral ads, itunes singles & archaic deals?

and i'm the dirtiest thing in sight

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Well it's just like most media entertainment... It is ran by people who have no concept of what the future of entertainment will or should be. Movie studios fall into this same vein. Back in the day CDs were 20 dollars to pay for the jacket, the CD and the case... But in the digital age complete albums aren't much cheaper..

IrishNinja

Ace i know you remember when them shits were more expensive than that, too...godforbid you wanted some shit marked "import", jesus

i remember when Wu Forever dropped where i was living down south, shit was so hot they kept stacks of it behind the registers cause ninjas was deb'ing it like Meth told them too, haha

still though...every year, RIAA bitches bout lower sales, and points to outdated-ass criteria like "NOW that's what i call music!" sales from a decade back and go "PIRACY!" while digital stores make it hand over fist selling singles and such to recoup on leaks...when does that part of the game change? when do even out-of-touch suits say "yeah, we could spend a lot less promoting a wider variety of singles than forcing market-researched trend albums and hoping for the best"?

same problem games/other mediums (like you said) run into: you can't be on the ground floor of a trend if all you support is what focus groups say is hot the last year or two.

Detox

These legends were brought up on the record contract with the big advance and they don't know how to give that up for potentially greater riches when the album drops. Signing to CM for Busta also raises his profile among those YMCMB apparel wearing tumblr generation, I doubt he would have got that google deal without being signed to CM, Busta just got google to sponsor his mixtape that he would have released to hype his album anyway. Really people like Busta and Nas can go independent and they can still go gold (there's no way they go plat anyway) they got a core audience who will buy their albums, popular artists who will always give them a guest verse and producers will always send them beats. All signs point to Nas signing to CM after the def jam deal and it just doesn't make sense to me, he just got his 9th number one tied with Em and only Jay beats him. He can go independent we all know the whole Illmatic team, Alchemist, No ID and other great producers will send him beats, he will still go gold and probably get close to or top the charts. The problem is he can't resist Birdman rolling up in a Bugatti with a suitcase full of money before a verse has been recorded.

Blackace

It's not even two years ago.. Really the foundation for the future has been in place for almost a decade.

Singles and package deals.. Actually I would love to artist just release singles for two months and call it an album.. I think we would see less filler if every single was looked at.. lol

Labels could sell make your own album deals where you can access an artist catalog for 12 bucks and get 15 songs or whatever...

The problem is they are approaching the digital media like the physical age...

Blackace

These legends were brought up on the record contract with the big advance and they don't know how to give that up for potentially greater riches when the album drops. Signing to CM for Busta also raises his profile among those YMCMB apparel wearing tumblr generation, I doubt he would have got that google deal without being signed to CM, Busta just got google to sponsor his mixtape that he would have released to hype his album anyway. Really people like Busta and Nas can go independent and they can still go gold (there's no way they go plat anyway) they got a core audience who will buy their albums, popular artists who will always give them a guest verse and producers will always send them beats. All signs point to Nas signing to CM after the def jam deal and it just doesn't make sense to me, he just got his 9th number one tied with Em and only Jay beats him. He can go independent we all know the whole Illmatic team, Alchemist, No ID and other great producers will send him beats, he will still go gold and probably get close to or top the charts. The problem is he can't resist Birdman rolling up in a Bugatti with a suitcase full of money before a verse has been recorded.

Nas has only gone Gold once....

Macca

Digital is still kinda ass backwards. If an artist releases a track that's not for free, IE intended to be on an album, that song should be available for purchase on iTunes or the like straight away.

If it's not, people are just going to download that shit, they have no choice. If they don't want to sell it straight away they should be directing people to their site to download it, similar to what Ye did. It's just smart.

The other thing that is fucking annoying is when a song IS released on iTunes as a single it's pretty much never part of an album, and when the album comes out you can't use your single purchase against buying the album.

IrishNinja

goddamn was that post a bit depressing, if not honest though

All signs point to Nas signing to CM after the def jam deal and it just doesn't make sense to me, he just got his 9th number one tied with Em and only Jay beats him. He can go independent we all know the whole Illmatic team, Alchemist, No ID and other great producers will send him beats, he will still go gold and probably get close to or top the charts. The problem is he can't resist Birdman rolling up in a Bugatti with a suitcase full of money before a verse has been recorded.

first part had me like "why the fuck would he..." then the 2nd part...yeah, i mean maybe id judge or say some shit if he didn't have that bullshit note to pay on the regular to Kelis but i can't say shit right now, honestly.

birdman in that regard is a pimp though, and not in the flattering social way - like, he's making these artists his hoes and taking RZA-sized (if not larger) cuts and not bringing shit to the table but a name. on a side note, i thought drake (minaj too?) played the game smart and kept independent contracs but fucked with YMCMB to make bread until that ship inevitably sank, yet drizzy's after the same missing funds bangledesh and these dudes should be pursuing. if birdman's not hanging them over the balcony like Suge, how is he getting by robbing the industry like that? shit's kinda crazy when you look at how many people are in that mess, and how many more wanna be in it.

Singles and package deals.. Actually I would love to artist just release singles for two months and call it an album.. I think we would see less filler if every single was looked at.. lol

Labels could sell make your own album deals where you can access an artist catalog for 12 bucks and get 15 songs or whatever...

exactly. i thought shit like that would be standard a few years back, much less at this point. it seems such a logical point to reach when you look at how shit's bought these days.

*this track was composed to the tune of ASAP - Peso, cause goddamn. yo bitch said i'm hot; man i told her i agree

Macca

2 CHAAAINZ album is niiiice. Paced really nicely too, features in the right places. The bonus tracks are weaker, probably not a bad idea to only have them on the deluxe.

Also, 2 Chainz needs to teach Ye how to end a song. Dat end of Crack!!

IrishNinja

okay while im talkin all this shit, right

some of ya'll kinda quietly/or not agree that hip-hop is gonna slowly have to outgrow this homophobia shit to keep up, right? i mean, i can still fuck with ghost and 50 and other saying f*ggot this and whatever even though it aint right, but it's eventually gonna be a sign of the times, i think. and there's tons of talk about hip-hop and misogyny likewise.

so do ya'll think it hypocritical that a dude like chris brown (rightfully) gets shat on for what he did, but dre and other dudes (let's pretend buddens is relevant, etc) get a pass? in dre's case, he literally beat the shit out of a woman and shamelessly went on his way, cause of the era. but if you believe that shit's wrong, it shouldn't matter, right? so where do ya'll stand on that?

cause i get the dichotomy more than most, i think - i can call myself a feminist and say equal rights are paramount but still take ain't no fun at face value, for what it is - but where do the rest of ya'll stand? its easy to front and say this & that about shit, but tracks like nas' track daughters (haha...fuckaTguy) gotta give you a moment to think. if hip-hop is all actors now, does that give a pass to playing a part, or should artists speak with an ounce of respect? not saying some oprah/russel shit as far as censorship, as i personally think that cure is way worse than the disease, im saying should artists not just respect women on obligatory tracks and do their thing or what? i mean, i can sit here and act like there's a strong distinction outside of my own head between tracks on strictly 4 my n.i.g.g.a.z. between "keep ya head up" and "i get around", but when you try explaining that to someone outside the culture, to me, it sounds just as convoluted/ridiculous as "what have the x-men been up to these last few decades?"...maybe it's just me though. thoughts?

yo I be sayin some shit...switchin up speeds, like bruce lee, ridin a Fuji, in a movie
now if you didn't get it...Laugh now...and figure that shit out when you get home!

RJT

Honestly, most homophobia in rap these days is just calling someone faggot or saying something is gay. Not particularly offensive.

Now, misogyny, that's still a huge problem and to me the biggest turnoff in rap. Of course, superstar rappers being flooded with groupies probably doesn't help. Dumb women make women look bad, dumb rappers make rap look bad. News at 11.

Blackace

Hip-hop won't change until the community of which it stems from changes.. The black community is notoriously homophica...

Blackace

Now, misogyny, that's still a huge problem and to me the biggest turnoff in rap. Of course, superstar rappers being flooded with groupies probably doesn't help. Dumb women make women look bad, dumb rappers make rap look bad. News at 11.

It happens in ALL forms of entertainment from sports to the local news team

IrishNinja

ace you gotta admit thought...we were both around for the height of gantsta rap, it's hard to speak on another field of entertainment that hit the heights of misogyny that hip-hop did. bitches ain't shit but hoes & tricks, like on the nuts & suck the dick...

i know it was the 90s but we did it on another level and remnants of it still remain. as far as homophobia...best i can say is: at least we're not as far behind as dancehall/reggae/caribbean scenes?

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I've always taken it as, if a rapper is yelling bitch and hoe, he's talking about women who are indeed bitches and hoes. Only occasionally I hear some lyrics that make me think "goddamn this dude has some serious issues with females".

Homophobia has died out somewhat recently I feel. Hearing F****T doesn't really bug me, it's the context, which at one point was along the lines of "I'll kill a f****t cause they aren't real men". Now it's more a general insult. Of course that still offends some people.

And Irish, my issue with Chris Bitchass Brown isn't that he slapped around Rihanna aka forehead of forever. It's been his attitude since then. Learn some fucking humility dude, you got caught doing something stupid, fix your attitude, act humble, and realize you have some work to do to change your shitty image. Instead he wants to act like a fucking child and throw a tantrum.

Based a Tru story > Life is Good

Blackace

ace you gotta admit thought...we were both around for the height of gantsta rap, it's hard to speak on another field of entertainment that hit the heights of misogyny that hip-hop did. bitches ain't shit but hoes & tricks, like on the nuts & suck the dick...

i know it was the 90s but we did it on another level and remnants of it still remain. as far as homophobia...best i can say is: at least we're not as far behind as dancehall/reggae/caribbean scenes?

I think people sometimes look at the langauge of hip-hop more than then the message of other genres... Rock and Roll isn't preaching life long partners and prayer meetings as well....

RJT

It happens in ALL forms of entertainment from sports to the local news team

I know, but the explicit nature of hip-hop lyrics makes it worse.

Irish mentioned Tupac having a sort of split personality regarding women, but that's different. That's something I understand and can't relate to. We're all immature some times.

But some rappers can't make the distinction between, like Jay-Z put it, Bitches & Sisters. That really turns me off. It's getting better though. I'm sure it will continue to evolve.

I think people sometimes look at the langauge of hip-hop more than then the message of other genres... Rock and Roll isn't preaching life long partners and prayer meetings as well....

Like I said, it's the explicit nature of the lyrics. Racism helps, of course, but you can't deny that lyrics like the ones Irish mentioned are not common in rock and roll...

Blackace

I know, but the explicit nature of hip-hop lyrics makes it worse.

Irish mentioned Tupac having a sort of split personality regarding women, but that's different. That's something I understand and can't relate to. We're all immature some times.

But some rappers can't make the distinction between, like Jay-Z put it, Bitches & Sisters. That really turns me off. It's getting better though. I'm sure it will continue to evolve.

Almost any rapper who is making it knows the difference.. Most have a song to the woman holding them down.. And some to the groupies...

IrishNinja

And Irish, my issue with Chris Bitchass Brown isn't that he slapped around Rihanna aka forehead of forever. It's been his attitude since then. Learn some fucking humility dude, you got caught doing something stupid, fix your attitude, act humble, and realize you have some work to do to change your shitty image. Instead he wants to act like a fucking child and throw a tantrum.

to your former paragraphs: i can see that, but you're siding with Tyler on the issue, for what it's worth. to this bit: yeah, agreed 100%, he coudlve been classy with that grammy and kept true to his bitchmade roots instead. now he beefs with drake and it's like...who cares in an all-dude pillow-fight?

ima try not to let this ruin my impression upon listening to 2 tittys. i'ma try.

no doubt rock gets a pass on crazy shit, this is a fair point too

Blackace

Like I said, it's the explicit nature of the lyrics. Racism helps, of course, but you can't deny that lyrics like the ones Irish mentioned are not common in rock and roll...

so explicitness is worst than meaning?

Fjordson

2 Chainz ain't really my thing, but I have to admit that he can be pretty entertaining on this.

Yuck! reminded me of how much I dislike Lil Wayne, though. I know Wayne's been big for an eternity at this point so I need to get over it, but I'll never understand why anyone is into that dude.

Blackace

Explicitness is not worse than meaning. Explicitness and meaning are worse than just meaning though...

lol... I can't cosign this at all...

Hip-hop was taking heat for just the explicitness of their lyrics.. All the other stuff about the meaning was just another excuse to hate on the genre..

Macca

I've always taken it as, if a rapper is yelling bitch and hoe, he's talking about women who are indeed bitches and hoes. Only occasionally I hear some lyrics that make me think "goddamn this dude has some serious issues with females".

Homophobia has died out somewhat recently I feel. Hearing F****T doesn't really bug me, it's the context, which at one point was along the lines of "I'll kill a f****t cause they aren't real men". Now it's more a general insult. Of course that still offends some people.

I agree with all of this.

RJT

To change the subject to a slightly more pleasant one: I just heard Swimming Pools and, IMO, Kendrick is the hottest new MC since Lupe. Hopefully, they won't share similar fates.

Detox

To change the subject to a slightly more pleasant one: I just heard Swimming Pools and, IMO, Kendrick is the hottest new MC since Lupe. Hopefully, they won't share similar fates.
Don't worry Dre won't let Badu within 1 km of Kendrick. E-40 went to high school with her and he escaped with a permanent quizzical tone.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I've liked everything Lamar has released post section.80 way more than anything on section.80

Country music is fuckshit. I can find enjoyment in most genres but country and whiny white rock (creed, hoobastank, nickleback, POD, etc...) is complete garbage. Fuck all that. Johnny Cash is the only country singer I enjoy and only when he's doing rock music type stuff.

Macca

Lamar is definitely growing as an artist. He's able to hold his weight on bangers now, Catch a Fade and A1 Everything he just goes in on.

Blackace

Don't worry Dre won't let Badu within 1 km of Kendrick. E-40 went to high school with her and he escaped with a permanent quizzical tone.

You talking about the singer Badu? From Dallas Texas?

RJT

Damn, how many MC's careers has Badu destroyed? DOC, Andre, Common, Jay Electronica... Am I forgetting someone?

Blackace

Damn, DOC was cursed and E40 was lucky he only had a close brush with her. Maybe that's why E40 never got into that Dr Dre clique in the west coast.

you need new writers for your punchlines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom