• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
2pac was a better writer and made better music than Biggie. Biggie was the better rapper. But I don't see how anyone can listen to Ambitionz As a Rider and say Pac wasn't a dope rapper.

Mad debateable. In his short career, Biggie had crazy song concepts. Ive still never heard any robbery song with the same urgency as Gimme the Loot, etc. To this day theres really no one with the same ability to make music accessible and appealing yet show off crazy mic work.

And Pac is a dope rapper and has his moments. Hes just not in top tier purely in terms of skill for me. He floated by a lot on his charisma and voice, just like Kanye does.

Tokubetsu

I was actually listening to Atmosphere's discog a few weeks ago. Still good, fuck a Eschaton.

yyyN2eH.jpg

Esch

Banned
I was actually listening to Atmosphere's discog a few weeks ago. Still good, fuck a Eschaton.
Good production and slug is an evocative emcee. I just dont fuck with the corny emotional side of it all. I know you love that shit though. You do you though, and I wish you no ill will for whatever music you do and dont like.

PBY

Banned
Don't like tupac- never really enjoyed listening to his shit, always felt that his albums had a lot of filler.

Don't love biggie either tho

tmdorsey

2pac was a better writer and made better music than Biggie. Biggie was the better rapper. But I don't see how anyone can listen to Ambitionz As a Rider and say Pac wasn't a dope rapper.

One good song doesn't make you a dope rapper. People fed off of Pac's passion. He might have been a better writer, but he was inconsistent as hell and contradicted himself on many occasions.

Tokubetsu

Some people prefer his little older stuff or Makaveli but it's all about all eyez on me as far as I'm concerned with Pac

Picture Me Rollin'
Tradin' War Stories
Only God Can Judge Me
Ambitionz Az A Ridah
Wonder Why They Call U Bitch
Ratha Be Ya Nigga

codhand

I'm listening to Strictly 4 My Niggaz for the first time and it's fucking good. I can see Kendrick drew inspiration from this for Section.80.

It's my personal fave, before he went full west coast on us. Production is very Bomb Squadesque. Also has Pac's best song, I Get Around.

Esch

Banned

It's pretty clear that 2pac was one of those guys that had some feminine traits and felt the need to overcompensate with hypermasculinity. Like in the first video, you see a guy looking and acting like that in 80s? First thing you think is 'gay'. Drama school, dyed hair, twiddling his fingers, lisp, batting his eyelashes. Cut to a few years later it's bandanas, shirtless, hard shit, shooting at cops, trying SO hard to be and look like a man.

So how'd you guys "discover"/start listening to rap/hip hop?

There was no hip-hop "discovery" for me. There was simply life Before Hip-Hop, then all of a sudden it's life After Hip-Hop. I can't remember how it happened, but it just did. My earliest memories of paying attention to the genre are a haze of the Ruff Ryders, Jay-Z, Pac, Biggie, Eminem, Will Smith, Wu Tang, Redman, etc. That 95-99 era. Growing up in Gotham being exposed to it all the time one day I simply decided to do some digging. Then Napster comes along in 99 and music is blown wide open and everything's at my fingertips. That was an interesting few years.

Esch

Banned
PD, i'm reading Decoded and there was a segment in it that made me think of you (pause)

Hov said:
When Big came through one of my sessions to see Clark, Clark played him the beat for “Brooklyn’s Finest.” He told Clark he had to get on it. I
remembered Big from Westinghouse; he was quiet like me, but I can distinctly recall passing him in the hallway and giving him the universal blackman-
half-nod of recognition.
This time around we clicked right away. More than anything, I love sharp people; men or women, nothing makes me
like someone more than intelligence. Big was shy, but when he said something it was usually witty. I’m talkative when I get to know you, but before
that I can be pretty economical with words. I’m more of a listener.

OG Kush

Me Against the world is my favourite. Only one song I skip and that's "Can you get away" otherwise every song is great. 2pac may not have been as lyrical as Big. So "technically" Big was a better rapper, but being a good hip hop artist is not just about being a good rapper, its about the whole picture. 2pac just said things in a great way, and his content he was rapping about was good too. So much charisma and passion.

XXL just put out an article listing their top 20 female rappers.

http://www.xxlmag.com/news/2014/04/20-best-female-rappers/

Lol. Some choices on that list are embarassing. Gangsta Boo and Nicki Minaj? Get out of here. How could you omit Bahamadia from this?

I'd remove Trina, Nicki Minaj, Gangsta Boo, Never heard of this Iggy so I'll leave her alone until I hear more of her stuff, Lady of Rage, and M.I.A.

Their replacements: Bahamadia, Nitty Scott MC, Akua Naru, Lin Que, and Gavlyn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom