• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
Yo, listen to this y'all:
http://youtu.be/ay51KDsadpE

I don't know how you can not "get" Young Thug.

I occasionally like him the same way I like anchovies, but the answer to that is pretty simple; he's occasionally grating and annoying as fuck. He has good moments for sure, but the hit : miss ratio is pretty big for me and when he misses its one some "x out of the window annoyedly" shit.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
i dont really see a path for 50 Cent to update himself that would resonate
Basically, the only thing that could do it is another Ayo Technology. Didn't force 50 to stray too far from his core, kept him at the forefront by association, and was crossover.

I think New Day was the last attempt at that, but then that song sort of imploded once the label fuck up happened. Then he released Major Distribution which I'm pretty sure he thought would have been the knockout but that shit was flimsy.

The current strategy makes a lot of sense, he's positioning himself as a sort of legacy act but has his business in place so that he doesn't need to rely on label red tape.

effzee

Jimmy was upset that 50 decided to compete against his boss' headset business. That's a legitimate beef, IMO. 50 wants to act like he didn't know what he was doing would be an issue but he knew what he was doing. He's always been passive aggressive like that.

Now he's indie, making shitty music that can't even get decent youtube view numbers. What an L, brehs. Schoolboy Q sold 130k with minor radio play. 50 won't top 80k.

Yup.

As usual with every interview he will go into some business school level thesis about why this happened or that happened but the real answer is that his music sucks. Want to know why it won't get played on the radio? Cause it sucks as a radio song. It sucks as a song overall. 50 isn't the only artist who considered "old" now but others seem to adapt and make hits still. 50 seems to be regressing. At least before he had a ear for production and even the "meh" songs were helped by great sound.

I don't even buy that the audience moved on and they wont' want aggressive content. The audience wants something that sounds good. They don't listen to verses necessarily. The production has to carry 50 and he keeps failing single after single.

Funnier still how every single person that was his friend or partner now hates him and speaks against him. At what point do you look in the mirror and realize its you? Its not Jimmy. He loves money. Why would he purposely not promote your albums? Even before the beats sms audio fiasco, his singles weren't tracking. Banks, Yayo, Game, Buck, and whoever else can't get along with you. Hmm wonder why? I'm shocked he hasn't come out and dissed Dre who seemingly didn't get along with him or dissed Em yet. After all its everyone else's fault but his so why not them too?

50 isn't to blame for their lack of success though. Nor is it new that the "crew" of the breakout artist doesn't make it. Classic Bleek syndrome. But those artists didn't have every single associate speak out against them or shit on them on the way out.

He also doesn't seem to realize that just because he made it the way he made it, not every artist he signs can get the same breaks and make it. He seems angry at them for not doing more but truthfully how many artists truly just make it on grit? How many great artists are under appreciated, don't sell as much, and then settle for a lower tier acceptance?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Funnier still how every single person that was his friend or partner now hates him and speaks against him. At what point do you look in the mirror and realize its you? Its not Jimmy. He loves money. Why would he purposely not promote your albums? Even before the beats sms audio fiasco, his singles weren't tracking. Banks, Yayo, Game, Buck, and whoever else can't get along with you. Hmm wonder why? I'm shocked he hasn't come out and dissed Dre who seemingly didn't get along with him or dissed Em yet. After all its everyone else's fault but his so why not them too?

- - -

He also doesn't seem to realize that just because he made it the way he made it, not every artist he signs can get the same breaks and make it. He seems angry at them for not doing more but truthfully how many artists truly just make it on grit? How many great artists are under appreciated, don't sell as much, and then settle for a lower tier acceptance?
Way too many assumptions to even start, but 50 addresses this pretty directly, I don't know how you could say those dudes weren't salty on their own accords. 50 said he's guilty of enabling them. Banks had done one song before he got his label deal and an album that went plat. He didn't know the grind. Same goes for the rest of them. 50 was willing to give them contract releases too, but they didn't have any backbone to speak up, and just wanted to lay in the cut.

As for new artists, 50 just doesn't have a good ear for them. He's signed hot trash since the start of G-Unit, outside of Game, who got away. No work ethic, needed to be babysit to put any records out, and in recent years, artists that had nothing novel about them that were worth paying attention to. He's not angry at them though (another assumption I understand where it comes from; on top of the aggressive thing which seems to keep being thrown around).

Can't wait until PD gets to the part of the interview where he hints at the Nas x 50 thing for Summer Jam for him to change his tone.

10 Excuses Rappers Make When Their Album Flops

I think blaming the label is always my favorite.
Holy shit, Diggy did 21k first week? That's like.. 20k times what I expected.

Smoke, which is 50's big mainstream song, has 1.5mil views on youtube. That's not impressive to me when you consider it's supposed to be his mainstream hit. If you watch the video you'll notice Trey Songz isn't in it, and 50 is on screen for like 20 seconds. Doing a traditional video with Trey Songz guarantees you at least 3-4mil views on youtube breh, why go left when on something this simple? It reminds me of J Cole's Born Sinner videos, where he tried to be "different" and just came out with a couple very stale videos.

Yes 50 is getting 1mil views on a lot of his stuff, but again...none of the songs are going viral, making noise, etc. And considering The Coli exposed how crazy obsessive his crowd sourcing, paid social media army is...I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of those views were bought. They get to 1mil and taper off, nearly every single one. Interesting...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Smoke, which is 50's big mainstream song, has 1.5mil views on youtube. That's not impressive to me when you consider it's supposed to be his mainstream hit. If you watch the video you'll notice Trey Songz isn't in it, and 50 is on screen for like 20 seconds. Doing a traditional video with Trey Songz guarantees you at least 3-4mil views on youtube breh, why go left when on something this simple? It reminds me of J Cole's Born Sinner videos, where he tried to be "different" and just came out with a couple very stale videos.

Yes 50 is getting 1mil views on a lot of his stuff, but again...none of the songs are going viral, making noise, etc. And considering The Coli exposed how crazy obsessive his crowd sourcing, paid social media army is...I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of those views were bought. They get to 1mil and taper off, nearly every single one. Interesting...
lol @ just choosing to ignore the other half of the videos which are over 2 mill, invalidating said theory, or else he would have clearly "bought" more views for his lead single to push it

stay schemin

Tokubetsu

lol @ just choosing to ignore the other half of the videos which are over 2 mill, invalidating said theory, or else he would have clearly "bought" more views for his lead single to push it

stay schemin

Oh god, we have been here before. Both sides, stop.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
i searched, all his hits were from "4 years ago", except the Adam Levine song.
It's his highest charting single since Ayo, but still not very high.

Also for some reason he thought it was a good idea to hold that song for Street King Immortal instead of Animal Ambition. AA is a for-sale mixtape it seems. Nobody cares about it now, not sure why it would entice people in the fall.

effzee

don't put too much stock in youtube views.

Yeah what do they even mean? How does it translate to anything? The crowd checking for youtube vids is not necessarily the same crowd that will buy albums.

All his interviews are the same. It was everyone else's fault but his. Couldn't be that his music just wasn't good critically or commercially. He always had this attitude and its not shocking to see that every single person that used to be part of his crew doesn't like him personally. The Complex list of top 10 excuses have all been used by 50 since his 3rd album release basically.

They had their own failings but they were there for the ride but once they realized 50 himself wasn't popping anymore and he wasn't going to continue to just give them money/deals, they realized his personality wasn't worth it to keep with him.

I occasionally like him the same way I like anchovies, but the answer to that is pretty simple; he's occasionally grating and annoying as fuck. He has good moments for sure, but the hit : miss ratio is pretty big for me and when he misses its one some "x out of the window annoyedly" shit.

it's probably the voice isn't it? i've been enjoying his stuff consistently so far but even i can get a bit grated by his incoherent sounds.

carter v will be shit. unless he gets a bunch of juicy j beats. those were great on IANHB 2

Macca

Why the fuck is Kidd Kidd on so many Animal Ambition songs? Dude is trash. They did the smart thing in cutting him out of We Up, but 50 keeps putting him on shit.

Yeah what do they even mean? How does it translate to anything? The crowd checking for youtube vids is not necessarily the same crowd that will buy albums.

All his interviews are the same. It was everyone else's fault but his. Couldn't be that his music just wasn't good critically or commercially. He always had this attitude and its not shocking to see that every single person that used to be part of his crew doesn't like him personally. The Complex list of top 10 excuses have all been used by 50 since his 3rd album release basically.

They had their own failings but they were there for the ride but once they realized 50 himself wasn't popping anymore and he wasn't going to continue to just give them money/deals, they realized his personality wasn't worth it to keep with him.

Another thing I notice is that he's hyper critical of every artist except himself. He can break down why Jay struggles to do x or Banks can't do y, but he never does any self reflection.

Detox

50 still got some decent hooks, props for making camel retire. He's pissed about Jimmy because Gaga, Diddy and some other people got their own line of headphones and he didn't even though he was bigger cash cow than any of them.

Esch

Banned
it's probably the voice isn't it? i've been enjoying his stuff consistently so far but even i can get a bit grated by his incoherent sounds.

Yeah, its the bits where he stops rapping and starts making rastafarian dog bark adlib noises that sound like Henry Armstrong uppercutting Lil Wayne' in the nuts repeatedly.

EIH OI AIH THUGGER AIH EHHEHH IAAIH EIHHHH

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yeah, its the bits where he stops rapping and starts making rastafarian dog bark adlib noises that sound like Henry Armstrong uppercutting Lil Wayne' in the nuts repeatedly.

EIH OI AIH THUGGER AIH EHHEHH IAAIH EIHHHH
I'm still convinced on the hook/bridge of Stoner he is saying "I feel like Facebook, I feel like Facebook."

T Dollarz

Anybody seen Mobb Deep recently? They're playing at a pub downtown on Friday for like $25. Just not sure if it would be worth the drive for a small show like that

overcast

For everyone that told me to listen to Banks. Bless you. Vocals and production on this tape. Thing is beautiful.

whew.png

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
022311381ijcr.jpg

During Game 2 of the NBA playoff bout between the Raptors and the Nets, Drake was caught on camera vigorously lint rolling his pants. Tonight, before Game 5, the Toronto team had an amazing response: They handed out 1,200 Drake/OVO-branded lint rollers, Radio.com reports.

The team tweeted throughout the night using the hashtag "#NoLint". The promotion was sponsored by Bounce.

#Raptors win. Game over. #NoLint #RTZ #WeTheNorth
— Toronto Raptors (@Raptors) May 1, 2014

Limited edition for Game 5... ready to roll. Thanks @BounceFresh! @Drake #OVO #WeTheNorth #RTZ pic.twitter.com/BBAOlDBTgs
— Toronto Raptors (@Raptors) April 30, 2014

Esch

Banned
It's not a W or L, it's just goofy. Why even address it? If you wanna swag on people by trying hard to look fresh with your pocket lint roller, do it I guess. If people wanna think you're a cornball for doing so, whatever. I'd rather he publically apologize for the discusting, fatherless way he hugs up on professional athletes like he does. That shit is so cringeworthy I actually pity him, and he's a multimillionaire who waves away pussy I'll never get within sniffing distance of.

Esch

Banned
So how'd you guys "discover"/start listening to rap/hip hop?
I think the first rap I heard was some Jigga or Nelly on the radio or Pac/Will Smith from my brothers room. I didnt really fuck with it till like 9th grad when a fellow metalhead put me on to 90s rap hard. The changing point was listening to liquid swords. I listened to nothing but that LP for 2 or 3 weeks. The rest is history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom