• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.
BnUVu4aIUAAz0eS.jpg

Esch

Banned
Stole biggies lines and his girl?

stole your idol's girl too because he couldn't satisfy her
jEaaUFYOZPiFa.png
gnauze lost
fucked rosario dawson
foxy
aaliyah
free
blu cantrell
shenelle scott
kim
married Beyonce one of the most beautiful women ever

and numerous other unknown bad bitches

Old Hov the god
joeuZS3LFjVqu.png

Esch you takin this groupie thing a little too far breh

ninja knows every female Jay had sex with and shit smh
kttcolicomeon

Still tho, second his good friend Big died, time to steal his lyrics and start smashin his girl.

Typical Jay Z thing to do tho

unless Big dated that thot after Jay did

Esch

Banned
Hey, I just keep and up on backstories (no pun intended) because I find them funny or entertaining, and sometimes that includes a who's who. For example there's a bit here about Pac fucking mary J blige that cracks me up.Either way, Jay > Big no matter what biting took place (and i'm not trying to hear you complain about that because you're a Game fan).

Esch

Banned
wait, when did the camel tag rosario? damn
I think sometime during the volume era they were dating.

1 classic, 1 debateable vs. 2 classics, 1 arguable classic, an array of good/great albums and some bad ones. Pretty easy when it comes down to it.

As for Cam calling Jay a swagger jacker.. That might be true; facts are facts. Cam only ever was shit with Jay's chain on relevancy wise, and the foundation of his sound is something Jay's label fostered and created with Blaze and Ye. So....

(and no, nobody cares about the Heatmakerz in the long run of things)

IrishNinja

oh, so jay > because he bit from big early on & lived long enough to make another classic, gotcha

i mean nevermind that ready to die > jay's discography tho

IrishNinja

you did it

you done went too far down the spectrum and found ya boy detox

also this swagger jacker track...i don't know how fair it is, a lot of this jay clearly did this as homage

Esch

Banned
you did it

you done went too far down the spectrum and found ya boy detox

also this swagger jacker track...i don't know how fair it is, a lot of this jay clearly did this as homage

Nah, it's just pretty clear to me now, and I don't feel bad about saying it just because BIG is dead or helped father Jay's style. A lot of people played a part in the creation of Jay as an artist influence and career wise; Jaz, Big, Nas, Kane, Blow, G Rap, etc. To me? There's nothing wrong with that. They saw the potential in him and wanted him to get there. But when it comes down to it, Jay just has a better career. He has the best produced catalogue of any single rap artist to start (in terms of quality AND diversity), 3 classics from where I'm sitting, numerous enjoyable albums apart from those, high quality features on other people's work including music outside of the genre, a surprisingly high quality unreleased/rare song catalogue, had and continues to have a huge impact culturally in rap and outside of it. Plus plenty of genre-defining tracks, and incredible skills.

Call me a stan or w/e, seems like you guys bitterly go out of your way to try and deny his greatness as much as I point it out.

Esch

Banned
Nature abhors a vacuum.
I dont think Jay-Z or Nas ever managed to fill 2pac or Biggie's shoes but I feel that in their own ways they surpassed them and did things they couldn't do as well. Nas heavily became the critic and the observer, the purist, the hood reporter. Jay brought it to the masses and centered his music on a conversational celebration of life, the ultimate rags to bitches story.

It's better that way.

IrishNinja

i mean, i guess...you just got some weird criteria, for me anyway

like when i think about the best MC's i don't rank their career, impact/relevance (ugh), or shit they did in another genre...guest features and production no doubt come into play but i got love for dudes that don't do well in either of those, so they don't rate as highly but i see their importance.

i don't think i'm "denying his greatness" when i'd still say he's top 10 for damn near anyone's list & hardly needs a defense, so much as a reminder that he used to make good shit. but yeah, even with his limited discography, it's weird for me to hear him put over BIG, and not just cause dude's dead...if he'd've lived to the present day & had ample time to release his own batch of BP3/nastradamus/etc it still wouldn't touch the greatness he achieved with his early works, for me. to each their own, that's just the first time i recall hearing you say as much, maybe i missed a prior claim.

Esch

Banned
i mean, i guess...you just got some weird criteria, for me anyway

like when i think about the best MC's i don't rank their career, impact/relevance (ugh), or shit they did in another genre...guest features and production no doubt come into play but i got love for dudes that don't do well in either of those, so they don't rate as highly but i see their importance.
Im talking about career as a rapper, not an executive. How are you not gonna talk about impact? When Kendrick Lamar, the greatest rapper out today from a purists standpoint says he thinks Reasonable Doubt is better than Illmatic for example (google it) thats very important. As far as the out of genre stuff... thats just another way of highlighting influence and how he expanded the culture to new peopls, unless you see that as a negative.

i don't think i'm "denying his greatness" when i'd still say he's top 10 for damn near anyone's list & hardly needs a defense, so much as a reminder that he used to make good shit. but yeah, even with his limited discography, it's weird for me to hear him put over BIG, and not just cause dude's dead...if he'd've lived to the present day & had ample time to release his own batch of BP3/nastradamus/etc it still wouldn't touch the greatness he achieved with his early works, for me. to each their own, that's just the first time i recall hearing you say as much, maybe i missed a prior claim.
Not weird at all. I dont think about hypotheticals that's an exercise in futility. I only focus on what's on the table. As far as you not judging it against BIG for hypothetical quality drops... I dont know what to say other than to point out what you already know; its hypocrisy.

IrishNinja

How are you not gonna talk about impact? When Kendrick Lamar, the greatest rapper out today from a purists standpoint says he thinks Reasonable Doubt is better than Illmatic for example (google it) thats very important. As far as the out of genre stuff... thats just another way of highlighting influence and how he expanded the culture to new peopls, unless you see that as a negative.

no, not at all as a negative - but to me, it's a happy coincidence if greatness is recognized during one's lifetime in any art. As a Wu fan, of course it's great that they had the influence they did, but if they didn't? that wouldn't take them down a peg when naming my top rappers of all time, at all.

it's why i don't really get into pop-gaf discussions on relevance...everyone uses that when something they favor is popular, and argue against it when it's not. i find it more consistent to simply like what i like and take it at that; if it gets radio play and more people dig it, that's great because i like seeing that artist do well. if it doesn't, i don't lose sleep cause the track's still dope.

Not weird at all. I dont think about hypotheticals that's an exercise in futility. I only focus on what's on the table. As far as you not judging it against BIG for hypothetical quality drops... I dont know what to say other than to point out what you already know; its hypocrisy.

how, exactly? i just told you your boy fell the fuck off and stays in my top 10 for his prior work. i was saying the same of BIG, though in any number of alternate realities i can't envision him disappointing as thoroughly or as often, is all. I'm also not immune to the fact that you likely take albums like Kingdom Come, BP3, MCHG etc and salvage them with moments of enjoyable tracks here & there the way i would for shit like 8 Diagrams, Iron Flag, etc etc. if anything, i think i'm fairly cognisant of any stannery i possess.

JohnDoe

Banned
it's why i don't really get into pop-gaf discussions on relevance...everyone uses that when something they favor is popular, and argue against it when it's not. i find it more consistent to simply like what i like and take it at that; if it gets radio play and more people dig it, that's great because i like seeing that artist do well. if it doesn't, i don't lose sleep cause the track's still dope.

Nah my man, don't compare this shit to the way Pop-GAF discusses music. They are a funny community and all but when they discuss the actual music shit gets embarrassing.

Esch

Banned
no, not at all as a neGative - but to me, it's a happy coincidence if greatness is recognized during one's lifetime in any art. As a Wu fan, of course it's great that they had the influence they did, but if they didn't? that wouldn't take them down a peg when naming my top rappers of all time, at all.

I think Dalek have some of the best catalogue from a musical standpoint. MF Doom too. But its ludicrous for me to say their greatness is on par with Biggie Smalls for this reason. I think how wide a reach something has matters. Not quantitatively, but its important; it determines the eventual result of a culture. For example I think Just Blaze does the high pitched soul thing better than Kanye. Would I suggest he's greater? No that's absurd. And as for the POP GAF thing, take those hoe ass subliminals somewhere else, im not interested in them.

how, exactly? i just told you your boy fell the fuck off and stays in my top 10 for his prior work. i was saying the same of BIG, though in any number of alternate realities i can't envision him disappointing as thoroughly or as often, is all. I'm also not immune to the fact that you likely take albums like Kingdom Come, BP3, MCHG etc and salvage them with moments of enjoyable tracks here & there the way i would for shit like 8 Diagrams, Iron Flag, etc etc. if anything, i think i'm fairly cognisant of any stannery i possess.
Thats hilarious though, strange comic book way of looking at it all. You're trying to predict how exactly Biggie would fall off and then assigning him greatness based on that? Funny as hell, especially given that behind his back was a guy like Puff Daddy who'd arguably push him into all sorts of embarrassing artistic conundrums, if you really want to go there. It just wreaks of idealization. Because if Big and Pac were here, I personally can see the former failing to become the social figure people would eventually want him to be and the latter as a rapper turned actor and suffer in rep in similar ways that Ice Cube has.

Truth be told? I dont really bunk people for past prime work. I make fun of it, sure. Musicians fall off, just like athletes. It happens to everyone.

IrishNinja

Nah my man, don't compare this shit to the way Pop-GAF discusses music. They are a funny community and all but when they discuss the actual music shit gets embarrassing.

that's where towing that line of logic gets you. they're the logical extension of hyper-focusing on sales & relevance.

I think Dalek have some of the best catalogue from a musical standpoint. MF Doom too. But its ludicrous for me to say their greatness is on par with Biggie Smalls for this reason. I think how wide a reach something has matters. Not quantitatively, but its important; it determines the eventual result of a culture. For example I think Just Blaze does the high pitched soul thing better than Kanye. Would I suggest he's greater? No that's absurd. And as for the POP GAF thing, take those hoe ass subliminals somewhere else, im not interested in them.

i mean, okay? take that pop-gaf bit as direct then, because i'm as interested in discussions on relevance as you are on perceived slights.

i don't see shit as ludacris or absurd if it's how you feel - i don't mean to imply that hip hop artists operate in a vacuum, but if you yourself actually thought Dalek or DOOM made better music than biggie, why would the latter's influence change that? not trying to be obtuse here, but i feel that Meth is top 10 for me - i don't feel the need to see other people's lists, or check his sphere of influence on current artists etc.

it's possible we're arguing 2 different things here - a faux objective list we all kinda do on the GOATs vs a personal preference one that i think doesn't really call for as much context. I.E., Em prolly makes the former list, but not my personal one on the latter.

Thats hilarious though, strange comic book way of looking at it all. You're trying to predict how exactly Biggie would fall off and then assigning him greatness based on that? Funny as hell, especially given that behind his back was a guy like Puff Daddy who'd arguably push him into all sorts of embarrassing artistic conundrums, if you really want to go there. It just wreaks of idealization. Because if Big and Pac were here, I personally can see the former failing to become the social figure people would eventually want him to be and the latter as a rapper turned actor and suffer in rep in similar ways that Ice Cube has.

eh, i don't really disagree with your hypothetical at the end, but you're kinda missing my point - you said to gauge on what's on the table, yeah? i was saying even if & when BIG fell off, i hold his early work in such high regard that he's still gonna rank over jay based on what we got out of his prime, for me.

odd that you think big would act and Pac might not, i figured he at least had chops & prolly would've wanted to make better $ over there where he could, but who knows.

Truth be told? I dont really bunk people for past prime work. I make fun of it, sure. Musicians fall off, just like athletes. It happens to everyone.

fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom