• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBY

Banned
is sheezus any good? i feel like she's trying to pander to the soulja girls but is it worthy?

(this is dope as fuck btw)

Felt like she could have gone w/ something grander w/ the Sheezus concept. Its a fine pop album, a few jams, a lot of filler stuff, a few weird left turns that don't work.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
LOL

goddam thats good...

but i am not gonna get my hopes up.
NELhLJa.gif

Lilly Allen's first album was ok...props to her for like...lasting past that career-wise, but I really don't care for anything she does. I usually give it a listen, but none of it really interests me.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
What an idiotic answer.

Dude answered like 15 questions in total and gave the shortest answers possible, not a good look.

Eh, maybe it's just the response combined with that icon but I found it pretty funny. Some Reddit shit isn't really worth taking seriously anyways.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
You gonna pretend all those things aren't primarily associated with rap music and black luxe consumerism?

jbx5e4sFvx6RgT.png

Yes, because white rock/country stars never, ever, ever sing about that shit. And the diamonds, tigers and shit are on some Russian oligarch shit. See: Archer. People who think that song is racist are some special kind of fucking stupid. The kind of dumb that shouldn't be allowed shoelaces.

Esch

Banned
Yes, because white rock/country stars never, ever, ever sing about that shit. And the diamonds, tigers and shit are on some Russian oligarch shit. See: Archer. People who think that song is racist are some special kind of fucking stupid. The kind of dumb that shouldn't be allowed shoelaces.

I don't think it's racist in the same sense as that old Eminem song about black women ("real racism"), but definitely not well thought out and is leveled at rap consumer culture one way or another. Country stars don't sing about Maybachs, expensive champagne, and ciroc. That shit is all rap music 100%, maybe you could also tie it to Rihanna. Country stars sing about custom F-150s, budweiser, etc.. Because that's what the consumer base aspires to.

WanderingWind

I don't buy that shit in the slightest. It's definitely a line that draws out the SJWs who never heard a rap song that didn't accidentally pop up on their Pandora. It's an anti-consumerism song and all angles are covered. Just because one piece of aligns with a portion of one type of music, and that is not even close to being solely identifiable with the entire genre, that doesn't make it racist. On any level.

Esch

Banned
I don't buy that shit in the slightest. It's definitely a line that draws out the SJWs who never heard a rap song that didn't accidentally pop up on their Pandora. It's an anti-consumerism song and all angles are covered. Just because one piece of aligns with a portion of one type of music, and that is not even close to being solely identifiable with the entire genre, that doesn't make it racist. On any level.

But all you've done here is level ad hominems at people who disagree with your views on race and consumerism. They are 'social justice warriors' or too stupid to tie their shoe laces right, so what does that say about you?

Both songs use some racially charged imagery, and in Allen's case, there's plenty to be found in the video too. You can break it down and say like you did 'a portion of the genre', yet that portion is the most prominent (mainstream rap). I don't think it's racist. There are aspects of it that rub me (and clearly others) the wrong way. It's irritating and feels hypocritical to see white westerners level critiques of capitalism at colored persons and colored societies sometimes, given that the entire West is based on a foundation of crony capitalism, colonialism, slavery, etc. You wanna critique consumerism? Critique America and the way we've accumulated our wealth. It's just funny to see the imagery of black music portrayed as some type of American cultural nadir. Like it's their fault this society is all about the power of the dollar.

WanderingWind

But all you've done here is level ad hominems at people who disagree with your views on race and consumerism. They are 'social justice warriors' or too stupid to tie their shoe laces right, so what does that say about you?

Both songs use some racially charged imagery, and in Allen's case, there's plenty to be found in the video too. You can break it down and say like you did 'a portion of the genre', yet that portion is the most prominent (mainstream rap). I don't think it's racist. There are aspects of it that rub me (and clearly others) the wrong way. It's irritating and feels hypocritical to see white westerners level critiques of capitalism at colored persons and colored societies sometimes, given that the entire West is based on a foundation of crony capitalism, colonialism, slavery, etc. You wanna critique consumerism? Critique America and the way we've accumulated our wealth. It's just funny to see the imagery of black music portrayed as some type of American cultural nadir. Like it's their fault this society is all about the power of the dollar.

That first sentence is just...no. No, Esch.

Yes, and people get rubbed the wrong way about literally anything. Visit Tumblr sometimes to see equal levels of outrage being leveled at equally silly claims. I worry about those type of people about as much as I worry about people who want to pretend HAES is a legitimate movement, or those who think creationism deserves equal spotlight in the classroom. People can be "rubbed the wrong way" all they want. It doesn't make them right, or any less reactionary.

(Indirect you coming, not necessarily ESCH)

The only way this song can be viewed as racially insensitive is if you believe all black people identify with all aspects of rap culture that was mentioned in the song. That says way, way more about how you internalize the image of black Americans than anything else. The imagery of black music is so much more than pop rap and anybody over the age of 12 and under the age of 50 really should understand that in the year of our Lord 2014. And the fact that the song touches on many aspects of fake excess, most of which is clearly not even aimed at rap culture (Unless Kansas baseball teams are some part of rap culture that I'm unaware of) the issue is created from a pure base of ignorance.

No they don't. I hate to play the reverse racism card but whenever I hear these complaints it's the first thing that comes to mind; the fact that these butthurt tumblr warriors automatically associate blacks with excessive consumerism tells me more about the authors than anything. Go watch a Gaga/Britney Spears/Madonna/J Lo/etc video and tell me only black people focus on luxurious products in music; better yet take a look at Kim Kardashian and other white celebrities. I haven't seen the Lily Allen so I can't comment on it, but based on the actual song there is no racial aspect. Same with Lorde.

I'm glad someone has taken a knock at the excessive luxurious nonsense that propagates pop culture in general, regardless of the snark involved. I've said it before but we're going to see a shift to anti-consumerism being consumerized in music. Labels aren't dumb, they're looking for more Lordes and Caclemore's right now. And honestly until it reaches the saturation point I'll take that over MMG/YG any day.

Esch

Banned
That first sentence is just...no. No, Esch.

Yes, and people get rubbed the wrong way about literally anything. Visit Tumblr sometimes to see equal levels of outrage being leveled at equally silly claims. I worry about those type of people about as much as I worry about people who want to pretend HAES is a legitimate movement, or those who think creationism deserves equal spotlight in the classroom. People can be "rubbed the wrong way" all they want. It doesn't make them right, or any less reactionary.
Hey man, you laid down the words for that first bit. All im doing is contextualizing it. I don't care about tumblr outrage, infact youll notice I critiqued Siddiqi for that when I posted her article. There's no 'outrage' here, just a critique.

The only way this song can be viewed as racially insensitive is if you believe all black people identify with all aspects of rap culture that was mentioned in the song. That says way, way more about how you internalize the image of black Americans than anything else. The imagery of black music is so much more than pop rap and anybody over the age of 12 and under the age of 50 really should understand that in the year of our Lord 2014. And the fact that the song touches on many aspects of fake excess, most of which is clearly not even aimed at rap culture (Unless Kansas baseball teams are some part of rap culture that I'm unaware of) the issue is created from a pure base of ignorance.
Are you talking about Royals here or Hard Out Here? The former is just clumsy outside the looking glass from some new zealander girl american music consumer critiquing. It might lowkey poke at mainstream rap and black artists(gold teeth? Cmon), but I dont believe it has bad intent. Hard Out Here is a different, more pointed critique. Watch the video.
Go watch a Gaga/Britney Spears/Madonna/J Lo/etc video and tell me only black people focus on luxurious products in music; better yet take a look at Kim Kardashian and other white celebrities. I haven't seen the Lily Allen so I can't comment on it, but based on the actual song there is no racial aspect. Same with Lorde.

This depends on the era really. And go see the video and decide for yourself.

WanderingWind

I'm talking about the knock at Lorde and (for some odd reason) Macklemore. She may have a point on Allen, but whiffs on Lorde hard and completely pulled Macklemore out of her ass. Wing$ is about as anti-consumerist as he gets and it has zero to do with anything written in the article. She's the prototypical outrage factory, making issues out of thin air, when it's not necessary. If she had stuck to what is actually there, rather than insist these other, non-existent issues are part of a galling cycle of anti-black pop acts, then there wouldn't be an issue.

Also, "Hard Out Here" is the world's worst song. My distribution guys keep the radio on at my office, and it's on every day. It's the worst song since "She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy"

Esch

Banned
I'm talking about the knock at Lorde and (for some odd reason) Macklemore. She may have a point on Allen, but whiffs on Lorde hard and completely pulled Macklemore out of her ass. Wing$ is about as anti-consumerist as he gets and it has zero to do with anything written in the article. She's the prototypical outrage factory, making issues out of thin air, when it's not necessary. If she had stuck to what is actually there, rather than insist these other, non-existent issues are part of a galling cycle of anti-black pop acts, then there wouldn't be an issue.

Also, "Hard Out Here" is the world's worst song. My distribution guys keep the radio on at my office, and it's on every day. It's the worst song since "She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy"

This conversation originally started with Allen and Sheezus. I agree with you on Macklemore especially, and most of what you're saying about Lorde. Royals isnt racist, its just a clumsy immature pop song with some mediocre targets.
Macklemore and Lorde both do that shit. That isn't why I dislike them.
I can see it with Lorde but not Macklemore really. Elaborate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom