• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
^ lol

Rick Ross ft. Jeezy - War Ready video.

EDIT: Fuck, top of the page.

Also, for some reason I'm really excited for YG's debut even though he's like the worst rapper ever to come out of the West. In that full Mustard mode. Y'all need to link me to anything Mustard, cause ima eat it up.

As much as I love Danny i've always feared he's gonna end up one of those dudes that got close to making it really big and then just fell off.

iavi

Typo. But that fool was slayed, still.

+1

As much as I love Danny i've always feared he's gonna end up one of those dudes that got close to making it really big and then just fell off.

Danny's never been close to being major. I love dude's music, and the reality distortion field that some of us are living in here where he's this major player in, or close to being one, is a wonderful little world to live in, but shit ain't real.

Kwixotik

Typo. But that fool was slayed, still.

+1

Danny's never been close to being major. I love dude's music, and the reality distortion field that some of us are living in here where he's this major player in, or close to being one, is a wonderful little world to live in, but shit ain't real.

I hear the latter half of Old being played at frat house parties here all the time. People were saying the same shit about ASAP Rocky on here before he really blew up but I was hearing people only casually interested in music playing his shit every weekend.

I mean clearly he's not going to be a 2 Chainz or a Drake but I don't get why rap fans think everybody needs to be. People like Danny Brown and Action Bronson have a niche and they don't necessarily want to be on top 40 like that (or at least recognize that's not an option for them), they're making good money.

HiResDes

Danny could be a lot bigger if he were signed to a different label let's not play. He definitely has more going for him than Rocky in terms of sound on a mainstream arena.

Danny Brown wouldn't have much trouble making a "big" trap record if he wanted. I think he's on a good label for what he wants to do. Rocky strikes me as more marketable.

it's the look and the voice. give him a bigger label and have him look more "normal" and he would propel to stardom.

but we wouldn't get the projects we'd want from him either. i think his sound would be compromised.

iavi

I hear the latter half of Old being played at frat house parties here all the time. People were saying the same shit about ASAP Rocky on here before he really blew up but I was hearing people only casually interested in music playing his shit every weekend.

I mean clearly he's not going to be a 2 Chainz or a Drake but I don't get why rap fans think everybody needs to be. People like Danny Brown and Action Bronson have a niche and they don't necessarily want to be on top 40 like that (or at least recognize that's not an option for them), they're making good money.

Danny Brown wouldn't have much trouble making a "big" trap record if he wanted. I think he's on a good label for what he wants to do. Rocky strikes me as more marketable.

The question raised was never whether or not he's good @ what he does, it's if he's any closer to doing more.

EDM Danny does his niche well. He tackles EDM like a king, but he doesn't strike me as a cunninlynguist, or CYNE like artist that's content to just be fulfilling a niche. Dude seems hungrier for more.

And Rocky's infinitely more marketable. He didn't get his deal off of the strength of the music he had out at the time. let's be real.

The "pussy smells like Cool Ranch Doritos" line in Monopoly is where Danny peaked.

Nah

It's defintiely "But I ain't got shit but an ebt card that a fiend sold me, and it's in her daughters name." off of Terrorist Threats

I died when I heard that one for the first time

Kwixotik

Nah

It's defintiely "But I ain't got shit but an ebt card that a fiend sold me, and it's in her daughters name." off of Terrorist Thret

I died when I heard that one for the first time

I love everything about the song except the fucking hook. Makes me cringe so hard.

I honestly might sit here and listen to XXX again instead of going out like I planned tho

edit: Listening to XXX, I feel like Radio Song says Danny doesn't want to go too commercial

EDM Danny is fine, but I just don't think it's going to make him a star. He'll always be popular with hipsters/white people/festivals but I don't see him reaching ASAP Rocky's level. Granted ASAP was handed a ridiculous deal despite not really proving much of anything, but he's still "big" in a sense. I don't think Danny can reach that level, he's too...dirty. Dunno.

Kwixotik

EDM Danny is fine, but I just don't think it's going to make him a star. He'll always be popular with hipsters/white people/festivals but I don't see him reaching ASAP Rocky's level. Granted ASAP was handed a ridiculous deal despite not really proving much of anything, but he's still "big" in a sense. I don't think Danny can reach that level, he's too...dirty. Dunno.

Honestly though, we need dirty artists. They're the ones that give us real shit and then we hate when they get big and gotta tone it down.

thabiz

Honestly though, we need dirty artists. They're the ones that give us real shit and then we hate when they get big and gotta tone it down.

i dont think this is a debate about what the fans what. its what danny wants. he doesnt want to play small shows, but with his current image, thats all hes going to get. if he really wants that money, then hes going to have to change.

Kwixotik

i dont think this is a debate about what the fans what. its what danny wants. he doesnt want to play small shows, but with his current image, thats all hes going to get. if he really wants that money, then hes going to have to change.

When it comes down to it I think it's probably more about hating Detroit and not being able to admit it than being in it for the money. Detroit sucks. Iunno why he doesn't get the fuck out of there. Every other Detroit artist has.

thabiz

When it comes down to it I think it's probably more about hating Detroit and not being able to admit it than being in it for the money. Detroit sucks. Iunno why he doesn't get the fuck out of there. Every other Detroit artist has.
But Sean gets the crowds. Why is that? Detroit isn't the problem here. It's Danny's marketability.

Kwixotik

So every artist that roles through Detroit doesn't draw a crowd?

I'm just saying if he's just doing his own thing (rather than going for radio play), as he seems to be doing, and he's making good money in other cities, why is he obligated to go to his own unsupportive city for a shitty pay day when he can get better money elsewhere?

Cudder

I'm just saying if he's just doing his own thing (rather than going for radio play), as he seems to be doing, and he's making good money in other cities, why is he obligated to go to his own unsupportive city for a shitty pay day when he can get better money elsewhere?
500 ppl want to see him play in Detroit and he just shuns them. There's something wrong with that. This is exactly the opposite behaviour that Danny has been preaching about when he rants about being all from Detroit and all that. He says he's still in touch with the people and culture and vibe there yet he pulls this cunt celebrity move like he's too big for his own city.

thabiz

As an artist that's been around for a while, he should know that not every show is going to be a sell out. Instead of ranting, he should be asking himself why only 500 in his hometown want to go to his show, and figure out a way to fix it.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I don't think in any circumstance Danny had a chance to make it very big, or would. It's not just image either really. His music, the fans he attracts, everything points towards a pretty good independent-level success.

Wouldn't you feel disrespected and betrayed?

The accost of Big Sean was unnecessary, though.
Disrespected by who? Fans who'd rather pay to see A$AP, one of the biggest rising stars ATM with Danny on the undercard instead of Danny himself? Betrayed by who? A city that he disrespected by taking pot shots at artists putting on for the city?

Oh man, Big Sean is doing it big, fuck that guy, he's not Detroit, I'm Detroit, ride with me because I'm not doing it big and I'm from the gutter/more relatable to the people I grew up around!

IMO any artist that blames fans is a sucka MC. There are few things worse in music than blaming fans of all people for your lack of success and opportunities and implying you should decide whether they fuck with you or not like they can't think for themselves. You assume they can't judge for themselves and have to support you, or you deserve some level of love and if you don't get that all of a sudden that warrants you throwing a fit.

Big Sean said it too, Detroit didn't fuck with him. Trick Trick sonned him in a club. What did he do? Sean said he's going to make his city respect him. They asked all of this on The Breakfast Club. He said Trick Trick gave him the respect when he earned it, and that's what made it worth it; not when he demanded it. He also never made excuses for why Trick Trick never fucked with him aside from him not being on that level or worthy.

HiResDes

Fans definitely aren't infallible in terms of taste or giving love to artists that are truly unique and different. The radio dictates what is hot and they usually lap up whatever is the most accessible, least challenging thing they can. I see where Danny is coming from, Detroit won't ever love him unless he somehow makes the billboard top ten and then they'll latch onto him and be proud to call him one of their own. It's a shitty market, and Big Sean's music represents the city about as much as Rocky's represents New York. That is to say, not at all. So why sacrifice money to play for a city that's not feeling when you can come to Columbus, Ohio and sell out venues like it's nothing. Fuck Detroit.

Cudder

these new Krit songs are pretty shitty, I kinda like Lac Lac though, mainly due to Ferg. I think Krit's jig might be up with me, we'll see what his album sounds like. I'm actually heavily anticipating Ferg's next output.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Fans definitely aren't infallible in terms of taste or giving love to artists that are truly unique and different. The radio dictates what is hot and they usually lap up whatever is the most accessible, least challenging thing they can. I see where Danny is coming from, Detroit won't ever love him unless he somehow makes the billboard top ten and then they'll latch onto him and be proud to call him one of their own. It's a shitty market, and Big Sean's music represents the city about as much as Rocky's represents New York. That is to say, not at all. So why sacrifice money to play for a city that's not feeling when you can come to Columbus, Ohio and sell out venues like it's nothing. Fuck Detroit.
This is kind of strange in todays market, of course you need image, but most of the sensations today are internet-born. All of them. The biggest artist out today, Drake, bubbled and gained notoriety on the internet before radio. Internet was the determinant, dude was a guaranteed success and had the biggest bidding war in hip-hop before the radio got to judge him.

Who is to say who represents Detroit today? You haven't had a big artist come out of there in forever. Big Sean is Detroit. Em doesn't rep it like that and is in a whole other bracket of legends. Just because Danny is unique doesn't mean he deserves fame for that simple fact either (you can draw up a fitting uniqueness argument for damn near any artist). Earn your shit, and be proud of what you have created. And most importantly, don't be a grade A bitch being prideful of repping your city but turning against them when you won't take attempts to build a following in the city.

It's not about the money, it's about the look. The look is what gets you those cheques in the first place and moves you on the bigger cheques. Denying a market or spitting in it's face is exactly not what you want to do if you aspire to grow as an artist.

these new Krit songs are pretty shitty, I kinda like Lac Lac though, mainly due to Ferg. I think Krit's jig might be up with me, we'll see what his album sounds like. I'm actually heavily anticipating Ferg's next output.
I think they're all pretty trash.

Jay Sosa

And Rocky's infinitely more marketable. He didn't get his deal off of the strength of the music he had out at the time. let's be real.

whaaaaat?

657.jpg

This is a mixtape classic.

Danny is too weird for mainstream success. Plus that voice, my god that annoying voice. But I also never expected to see Chance the Rapper in a Bieber video so what do I know.

iavi

This is kind of strange in todays market, of course you need image, but most of the sensations today are internet-born. All of them. The biggest artist out today, Drake, bubbled and gained notoriety on the internet before radio. Internet was the determinant, dude was a guaranteed success and had the biggest bidding war in hip-hop before the radio got to judge him.

Who is to say who represents Detroit today? You haven't had a big artist come out of there in forever. Big Sean is Detroit. Em doesn't rep it like that and is in a whole other bracket of legends. Just because Danny is unique doesn't mean he deserves fame for that simple fact either (you can draw up a fitting uniqueness argument for damn near any artist). Earn your shit, and be proud of what you have created. And most importantly, don't be a grade A bitch being prideful of repping your city but turning against them when you won't take attempts to build a following in the city.

It's not about the money, it's about the look. The look is what gets you those cheques in the first place and moves you on the bigger cheques. Denying a market or spitting in it's face is exactly not what you want to do if you aspire to grow as an artist.

Danny not even playing a show in the city, regardless of how many fans he has there, after repping it the way he does is a shite move, I agree. But I think Des is also right in the sense that it's a game of demographics. Detroit isn't Danny's. And you can only really attract so many people outside of who you already attract without doing something drastically different than what you're doing and consciously marketing to different peoples. Ala changing sounds. Which isn't always bad.

Funny enough, Danny's changing his sound up towards the EDM probably meant him going even further away from what Detroit wants to hear.

SZA - Babylon

Her project is coming April 18th.

This ain't hot

EDM danny is corny as shit

You make me question the validity of the eschscale

Fevaweva

What is it with Future songs and the least likely people just spitting absolute fire?

P. Diddy on Same Damn Time remix and Pharrell on Move That Dope.

Shit is awesome.

Esch

Banned
You make me question the validity of the eschscale

EDM rap is kinda corny in general. He does a good job riding the beats but the outcome is bombastic trash about doing drugs pretty much. It's like rap's version of metalcore.

Side B is wack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom