• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTX| Long Live the Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
Drake has worked hard, and he is talented, but when you consider the fact that rappers more frequently release five or six or seven singles from a single album compared to three or four from fifteen to twenty years ago, it's not that surprising. Also, getting featured on songs has become much more prevalent.

Yep, that and the absolute lack of competition lol.

Speaking of chicken, popeyes has been flowing through my veins lately because of their 1 dollar 2 pieces you can get on Tuesday. Or maybe it's 2 dollars either way it's cheap and so good. I need to take a break from getting it.

Trey

He tried to explain that on The Breakfast club interview the other day...Eh...it made him sound like he thinks he's smarter than he really is.

Yep.

Rick Ross said:
It's so important that today, on the two-year anniversary of the death of Trayvon Martin, we never forget that tragedy. I'm never going to let the world forget that name. In my song 'Black and White' off Mastermind I say, 'Trayvon Martin, I'm never missing my target'. There I'm reminding people that if you're a black person or a person of any color for that matter in this country, you have to be accurate, whatever moves you make, stay accurate. Even when you're walking down the street, playing music from your car, you have to stay on point.

http://www.vibe.com/article/exclusi...controversial-trayvon-martin-lyric-mastermind

Tactless.

Also, "underdig" is the dumbest word I've heard in a while.

big ander

YO....

This divergent movie looks like a huge piece of shit. But that soundtrack tho, whew. http://pitchfork.com/advance/369-divergent-ost/

it's not gonna be good. Is the soundtrack really good though? It's weird now how the in thing to do with these YA movies is to put as many disparate artists on the soundtrack as possible. It makes sense though, hit enough quadrants by combining pia mia and chance the rapper and ellie goulding and tame impala and kendrick and a$ap woodkid m83 snow patrol and the soundtrack basically acts as advertising to a bunch of people who otherwise wouldn't spend a half second thinking about your movie.

Squalor

The thing is, none of the songs are going to be a part of the movie's score, so how well is it actually going to work out?

How many Kendrick Lamar fans are actually going to go see this movie because he has a song on the soundtrack, which is independent from the movie?

To my knowledge, Twilight was the first to do this kind of thing. The soundtrack had Grizzly Bear and St. Vincent et. al., but Grizzly Bear's demographic isn't going to go see Twilight, and teenyboppers, gay guys, and moms in arrested development are going to go see it regardless of what up-and-coming or already up-and-came indie artist is on the independent soundtrack.

big ander

The thing is, none of the songs are going to be a part of the movie's score, so how well is it actually going to work out?

How many Kendrick Lamar fans are actually going to go see this movie because he has a song on the soundtrack, which is independent from the movie?

To my knowledge, Twilight was the first to do this kind of thing. The soundtrack had Grizzly Bear and St. Vincent et. al., but Grizzly Bear's demographic isn't going to go see Twilight, and teenyboppers, gay guys, and moms in arrested development are going to go see it regardless of what up-and-coming or already up-and-came indie artist is on the independent soundtrack.
I agree, I don't know of any CHVRCHES and Wiz Khalifa fans who went to see Vampire Academy because of the soundtrack. but the fact that they're still doing it says to me that it must be a game of inches. As in, just that much more exposure in demos the films normally wouldn't have any impact in adds up. One npr-surfing dad hears it and decides to go with his kid, or a high school dude hears Bassnectar on a track and decides he'll go with his girlfriend to the theater. Between soundtrack sales and a few extra tickets it must add up in the end.

Squalor

I agree, I don't know of any CHVRCHES and Wiz Khalifa fans who went to see Vampire Academy because of the soundtrack. but the fact that they're still doing it says to me that it must be a game of inches. As in, just that much more exposure in demos the films normally wouldn't have any impact in adds up. One npr-surfing dad hears it and decides to go with his kid, or a high school dude hears Bassnectar on a track and decides he'll go with his girlfriend to the theater. Between soundtrack sales and a few extra tickets it must add up in the end.
True.

I also figure "indie" artists and bands are cheaper than whatever is passing for mainstream rock and pop these days.

Cudder

danny should just be thankful he is doing music for a job. 2000 or 200 shouldnt matter. the fans pay your salary.
Seriously though..

Danny acting like a bitch recently. Why would he do a show for 300-500 fans? Uhh I dunno maybe because its your home city and fans are fans?

Can't stand artists acting like cunts because they think they're bigger than they are.

mooooose

that new asap song isn't amazing or anything but rocky definitely stepped his g up on his new verses

using multisyllabic rhymes

:whew

lawd.png

Kendrick on that Eminem yelling flow on that track.
From this and the Dre Beats commercial and the radioactive remix... I'm pretty sure Kendrick will be very screaming/aggressive on his sophomore effort...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Seriously though..

Danny acting like a bitch recently. Why would he do a show for 300-500 fans? Uhh I dunno maybe because its your home city and fans are fans?

Can't stand artists acting like cunts because they think they're bigger than they are.
Danny Brown did this?

What a fucking dick. Surprised his usual crowds are any bigger anyways. Yeah, this is why the city loves Big Sean more.

PlayDat

I've been listening to Get Rich or Die Tryin as soon as I get out of class on Friday for like the past month.

I only just gave this a proper listen for the first time in the last 2 weeks. I was only 9 when it came out, but got familiar with a few of the singles since my older cousins were WAY into G-Unit at the time. Had the cool moment where you know all the words to a songs you haven't heard in years when Many Men came on.

I'm guessing Danny is just really tired of being looked over and being forgotten. Plus he's still trying to get off that syrup, so the drastic mood changes are expected.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Damn.. owning masters is crazy money. Marley making more money off songs now than when they dropped before. He says he gets 60% of Theraflu off of basically what it sampled & a line used int he song.

I'm guessing Danny is just really tired of being looked over and being forgotten. Plus he's still trying to get off that syrup, so the drastic mood changes are expected.
Withdrawal symptoms eh..

Well I guess the CuDi career route is admirable and pays in the long run. Though CuDi was much bigger from the jump because of cosigns, etc. too.

Big Sean gets play on Detroit radio, Danny doesn't. But even Big Sean needed Kanye to help him do the Palace.

I understand where Danny is coming from. Detroit has a long history of not supporting its own, and not fostering the type of supportive community you see in nearly every music city. There's a reason why the "Detroit to Cali" connection has been so prominent for decades. Initially Motown had Detroit locked down, yet even they moved to California to expand. My mom grew up two blocks from one of Barry Gordy's houses, where the Jackson 5 stayed initially. A couple years later they were in California, permanently.

Today people want to dick ride Dilla but let's be real: Detroit wasn't riding for Dilla at the time. He moved to California and joined Stones Throw, which is when he went from an underground producer to "that dude." Same with Houseshoes, who moved from Detroit and now makes good money DJing in Cali.

Now, I will fault Danny on on thing: if 300 people want to see him perform in Detroit, he should do it. That's still your city. But if you want to avoid it, why not do a show in Ann Arbor or Ypsilanti? He's doing one show in Michigan, in Lansing (the capital/near Michigan State University). If you can't do Detroit it makes no sense to pass up easy money in the college areas of the state.

Tokubetsu

If I was selling out 2000 capacity venues around the world and my hometown was barely showing me love I wouldn't give a shit about it either.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
If I was selling out 2000 capacity venues around the world and my hometown was barely showing me love I wouldn't give a shit about it either.
He seems to more than give a shit about it. Whatever is one up from hurtin' is what's on display in that IG cap.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Hearing Ross trying to explain that line on The Breakfast Club was like listening to Nas trying to explain what he had for breakfast that morning.
ibqkMgKJyooO74.png

I agree with Peter & Zeus above though. They may have kept the Trayvon track off to keep away from pressures of profiting off of the situation though, that might have gotten him into much deeper waters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom